When does Session.Abandon remove session variables (.NET 1.1)?

I have a logout function which includes session.abandon. This also (correctly) removes any session variables I've created if I look at them on the next page load. However, if I examine these variables immediately after the session.abandon call, they still exist with their current values.

Where in the page life cycle does session.abandon actually remove these variables? Thanks in advance.  -- ZLA

0
ZLA

 After you have called Abandon() method, current session becomes invalid, but new session will be created on the next request. If you need to remove all values from session collection you can call Clear() method.

Blog: http://blogs.mscommunity.net/blogs/borissevo/

Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post fixed your problem.
0
bsevo
2/23/2008 12:37:22 AM

I appreciate the response but it doesn't really address my question. For example, in the following code,

Session("MySessionVariable") = "Bob"
Session.Abandon()
Dim sValue As String = Session("MySessionVariable")

the value of sValue will be "Bob", not Nothing as I would expect.

0
ZLA
2/23/2008 2:30:16 AM

 Sorry, but I don't understand where is the problem. Abandon method will not delete keys and values in Session collection. If you set the breakpoint on Abondon method call and step into the framework code you will see that this method just sets an flag (_abandon) to true. Even after Page_Unload Session will not be deleted. You can see that if you set breakpoint in Session_OnEnd method (in Global.asax). As long as new request isn't processed, Session will not be deleted.

Blog: http://blogs.mscommunity.net/blogs/borissevo/

Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post fixed your problem.
0
bsevo
2/23/2008 10:32:30 AM

Thank you. That gives me a better idea. On the next page request, the session variables are deleted. I expected Session.Abandon to delete them immediately.

0
ZLA

Session Sharing Between .Net 1.1 and .Net 2.0
I want to share session between two .net application depolyed on one server side by side. I have created one application in asp.net 1.0 and other in Asp.net 2.0. Plzzz Help Me Out Give me Some Link So I Can Get Some Knowledge Or Show me Some Sample Application Thanks....  Two different applications cannot share session state between them, regardless of the ASP.NET version.You can share cookies check http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/12/10/432851.aspx Kamran ShahidSr. Software Engineer(MCP,MCAD.net,MCSD.net,MCTS,MCPD.net[web])Netprosys Inc.www.netprosys.comRememb...

Another Session ID problem from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0
My application was written with .net 1.1 and now I'm trying to convert to 2.0.  I have a java control that streams data to an aspx page to accomplish multi-select file upload (All works well in 1.1). However, with 2.0 the .aspx page that receives the files cannot locate the user in session.  When I checked the session id it is different between a normal request and the java request, which is generated from a java applet located on the page from the same site. ASPX Snippet: //Set the session parameter    System.Web.SessionState.HttpSessionState session = S...

Hello,   I have a ASP.Net web application,written in VB.Net,developed on .Net Framework 1.0 .I am trying to port it on to .Net framework 1.1.   For achieving this,I follow the following steps-   1.Open the project using the .vbproj file. 2.I am prompted with the conversion message "Do you want to convert the solution and all projects to .Net framework  1.1....." 3.I click "Yes" 4.I assume that the project is now converted. 5.I build the project & try to run it. 6.I get the following error -     Server Error in '/Consert.Net' Application. Parser Error Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately. Parser Error Message: Could not load type CONsERT.Net.Global'.Source Error: Line 1: <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb" Inherits="CONsERT.Net.Global" %> Source File: e:\inetpub\wwwroot\Consert.Net\global.asax    Line: 1 Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573   My project includes aspx and vb files, as well as some crystal report files.   Can anyone please help me? This is almost certainly a namespace case issue. I can't believe that you have a namespace CONsERT. The FCL is case sensitive, even if VB.NET isn't, so check all of your namespace declarations,...

best method to migrate from .net 1.0 to .net 1.1
hi, i have windows xp pro running iis 5.1. i have an intranet site running under iis. i made this site using VS.NET 2002 under .NET framework 1.0.3705. Now i want to upgrade me .NET frame work to version 1.1. , but i still want to use VS.NET 2002 for programming and maintaining the site. How do i do this without the upgrade affecting my already deployed website. A step by step procedure to migrate from version 1.0.3705 to version 1.1 would be quite helpful. Thanks in advance, Raja. Hi, There is an article on this, right on this site. Check this Hope it hel...

best practices to migrate from .net 1.0 to .net 1.1
hi, i have windows xp pro running iis 5.1. i have an intranet site running under iis. i made this site using VS.NET 2002 under .NET framework 1.0.3705. Now i want to upgrade me .NET frame work to version 1.1. , but i still want to use VS.NET 2002 for programming and maintaining the site. How do i do this without the upgrade affecting my already deployed website. A step by step procedure to migrate from version 1.0.3705 to version 1.1 would be quite helpful. Thanks in advance, Raja. Well, at least take a look at this doc about running v1.0 and 1.1 side-by-side h...

.NET 1.0 books and .NET 1.1 books. Does it matter ??
Hello, I want to buy a book that is good to learn asp.net. I have seen some good books on ASP.NET in the book store, but some of them are for .NET 1.0 and not the current 1.1. Does it make that big of a difference if the asp.net book is 1.0 and not 1.1 ???? Someone please help me as I have to do quite a bit of driving to go review and purchase a book. I need to leave in about an hour so if someone know the answer, please respond, asap. Sincerely, Amy Daynou Amy- The changes are small enough that you won't see much, if any difference. This doesn't apply as much if you're ...

Hi All Does anyone know where I can get the Sybase drivers for ADO.NET for both versions, 1.1 and 2.0/3.0? Cheers Chris Burrell Hi Chris, There is no release of ASE ADO.NET Provider 2.0 (I assume you refer to ASE provider, not ASA - if ASA please port to sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general). For the 1.1 Provider: It is available in the ASE SDK for windows or the PC Client CDRom included with ASE product. On the SDK its available as 12.5.1 and 15.0 On ASE PC Client I think 12.5.1 is part of ASE 12.5.X and 15.0 is part of ASE 15.X 2.0 provider should release sometime this summer - there is a beta program - look in the sybase.public.connectivity.adonet.beta newsgroup for details -Paul <Chris Burrell> wrote in message news:466ea680.5729.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi All > > Does anyone know where I can get the Sybase drivers for > ADO.NET for both versions, 1.1 and 2.0/3.0? > > Cheers > Chris Burrell ...

I haven't seen this anywhere, so I figured I would add it here. First of all, it is incorrect to recommend to anyone that who has VS.NET 2002 to do ANYTHING but first install VS.NET 2002. The installl order for VS.NET 2002 and .Net Framwork 1.1 SHOULD BE: 0. Install ALL windows updates for your pc EXCEPT FOR .NET Framwork 1.1 1. Install VS.NET 2002 2. Install MSDE that comes w/VS.NET 2002 (USE A NAMED INSTANCE! Never usee the default instance) 2. Install MDAC 2.8 3. Install .Net Framework 1.1 4. SOMEHOW GET RID OF .NET Framework and get VS.NET and IIS 5.x to work with .Net Framework 1.1 5. Install MSDeskSP3.Net 6. Install MSSQL Client Tools if you have MSSQL. Don't even bother trying to install the instance. This SHOULD be the order, and NOT anything else. I want to make sure I give the benefit of this to anyone else who has VS.NET 2002 and is trying to install everything on a new XP Pro PC. Unfortunately it's not the way it was recommended to me, and more important is my question now. MY QUESTION IS HOW DO I get VS.NET and IIS 5.x to work with .NET Framework 1.1 so I can get rid of .NET Framework 1.0? I don't want both on my PC. And I don't want to work w/an old version of 1.1 as most of you would agree. Can anyone help me that KNOWS the answer? Anyone from microsoft? It's frustrating when you've spent 1000's of dollars on microsoft software yet can't get ANY support. Thanks in advance for any knowledgable help. I shoul...

.net 2.0 to .net 1.1
Hello , This is shrirang. Currently i am working .net2.0 web application. but the same application is runing on production in .net 1.1 freamwork . we are not using any new feature of 2.0 in our application . can i run build of 2.0 on 1.1 freamwork . if yes can you  please tell me necessary steps to achive it .     Thanks in advance for your kind help     Regards Shrirang i think it is not possible to run the 2.0 application in 1.1 , so try to change to the frame work in the production server . ThanksRaja Ragothaman Hi Shrirang, Please contact web adm...

VS.NET and .NET Framework 1.1
Hi, Is it possible to use .NET Framework 1.1 with visual studio .net 2002 ? Thanks Yes.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights....

.Net 2 and .Net 1.1 on same IIS
Hi - is there a step by step guide for this anywhere?(IIS6 - windows web server edition)I installed .net 2, and created a new virtual directory - uploaded my .net2 web files, and it didn't run.I changed the framework to .net2 in IIS, then I got server unavailable when trying to run my existing 1.1 apps.I setup a new application pool, and derived it from the DefaultPool already being used by .net1.1, and change my net 2 app to use the new application pool.When I tried to 'start' the site, it advised the port 80 was already in use by another web site.I think I know where to change port 80 - but how do I know what number to change it to?  And do I need to do anything else to make the new port number 'open' - sorry, I'm not a server/networks person, and I don't have any direct assistance.I had to delete my net2 app, and virtual directory, to allow my 1.1 apps to run again (using port 80 I think).If there is a step by step guide to how to do this, I'd really appreciate it - if not, I think the port issue is where I am stuck right now.  Thanks for any help,Mark >  I installed .net 2, and created a new virtual directory - uploaded my .net2 web files, and it didn't run. Those "didn't run" errors are hard to fix.  Even harder to diagnose without any details at all. >  I think I know where to change port 80 - but how do I know what number to change it to? Any port you wish, provided it isn't in use by something else.  Such as 8080.  But t...

having .net 1.1 and .net 2.0
Was just wondering if you someone could tell me the ramifications of the following:  I have .net 2.0 but did not uninstally .net 1.1, i have visual studio 2003, and visual web developer installed on the computer as well as sql server 2000.  my question is whether that is a problem having the two runtimes installed at the same time?  i did this because i wanted to use VWD but keep vs 2003 in case i needed to do any development for work....any comments are appreciated.  --jpIf my post is helpful please mark as answerRegards -- jp(http://www.rzrsolutions.com/rzrWeb20/...

.NET 1.1 conflicting with .NET 2
I have a new server Windows 2003, and one of the web apps it is hosting fails from time to time.  Checking the logs, the message talks about a conflict between .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.   It was my understanding that you could be running both ASP.NET 1 and ASP.NET 2 on the same box, with the pull-down selector to choose between them   Am I missing something here? thankscheersMatthewPerformance Outlook Each asp.net application runs in an Application Pool.Each Application Pool can only host one version of  ASP.NET at a time, so the first app to start sets the version...

Running DNN compliled on .net FW 1.0.3705 on .net FW 1.1
I have a DNN 1.10c portal that I developed and compiled on VS02 on a PC with .net Framework 1.0.3705. It is currently in production on a machine running .net Framework 1.0.3705. I am preparing to move this portal to a new server with Win2003 server and .net Framework 1.1.4322. Are there be any problems due to the differing version of the .net Framework? Is it neccessary to recomplie on a machine with .net Framework 1.1.4322? Any other suggestions or comments would be welcomed! synergetic_1 1.0 framework items should run on 1.1 as is, but not vice versa. To compile in 1.1 you will need visual studio 2003 to do so. I think the only difference you will see in vs.net 2003 loading the project is there is one method that is obsolete in this version of the framework. The project will still compile and run though. (Unless of course you have custom modules which you have created that I don't know about but even then they should be fine.) I have run dnn 1.10 on 1.1 framework without recompile successfully. I would like to advise you to upgrade your 10c to 10e if you are not ready to move to the 2.0 version yet. This upgrade should go off without any issues and the benefits are wroth the time. If you do not have this version to do an upgrade, I believe www.webstone.com has several outdated versions available for download.Chris Paterra Thanks for the detailed reply. I have run a test on the new server, and my application is executing witho...

coverting from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0
Hi All, Currently I'm facing a problem.I have an application that is built on ..net 1.1 using Vs2003.Its performance is so slow.So i want to add some partial updates to the page.How can I execute this in .net 1.1.In .net 2.0 we can use Ajaxtools, But .net 1.1 does't support ajaxtools.How to solve thgis problem.From where can I start?Please help me I'm struck in the middle.PLease forward me any sample codes You have. Thank you Hi, Why are you using VS2003. Convert your aplication in 2005/8 and use AJAX. Regards, Shahaji UThanks and Regards,Shahaji Udar.MCTS,Pune,INDIA. Hi Migrate the application to .Net 2005. Just open the project in VS 2005. It will be converted automatically. You will have to fix some issues. :)...

Upgrading from .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0
Hi,We write ASP.NET applications for a large UK organisation for which we have two servers - a dev server and a live intranet server.  I would like to convince management to upgrade the .NET framework from 1.1 to 2.0 (and incidently VS2003 to VS2005).If we install the new version of the dotnet framework, will there be any issues with our existing 1.1 applications?  If so, what will the issues likely to be?Your help is greatly appreciated.Ryan Penfold, Truro, UK. Two versions can coexist, so you shouldn't have any issues. So far we have not had any real issues with asp.net 1.1 and 2.0 existing together or being able to upgrade.  The only issue I would say we had was with Infragistics and FreeTextBox.  they both reference images and javascript files that the Visual Studio stand alone web server can not reference.  I wrote a little about how to overcome this in my Blog, http://professionalaspnet.com/blogs/aspnet_blog/archive/2006/01/04/A_little_Debuggin_Tip.aspx.  Other than that, everything has been real nice.Chris LoveASP.NET 2.0 Your Visual Blueprint for developing Web Applications docluv wrote: The only issue I would say we had was with Infragistics and FreeTextBox.  they both reference images and javascript files that the Visual Studio stand alone web server can not reference. Good to know.  But keep in mind that using the "Cassini" web server (stand-alone version) via the File System for web development is only an option...

VS .NEt 2003/ .Net 1.1 issues
Hi, I have a couple of issues with VS 2003/1.1 development on a machine.  I have no problems working with VS 2005/2.0 on the very same machine.   When creating a Web Application on my localhost IIS install, as soon as the WebForm1.aspx is created I get an ExecutionEngineException in DefaultDomain and the IDE closes.   Thinking that this could be an IDE issue, I attempted to install VS 2003 SP1.  When I try that, I get a Fatal Execution Engine Error 0x7925dc14. I have googled that error and it seems to come up in the context of some other applications a...

Migration from .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0
Hi All, Well i hoped that the migrating went smoother then is does so far. I had a few problem which i could fix with blogs from other developers, but i didn't find a good solution for this problem. Somehow i get the following error: "Make sure that the class defined in this code file matches the 'Inherits' attribute, and that it extends the correct base class" Well i worked very good before the migration. Some advise would be very welcome! Regards,Dennis van de Laarhttp://dennisv.net/Don't forget to mark the most helpful reply/replies as Answer. Maybe this post will help you, maybe it won't: http://forums.asp.net/thread/1128069.aspxThanks, EdMicrosoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET Hi ecbruck, Thanks for your reply. The post you gave me didn't fixed my problem, but i pointed in the right direction. The problems in ran into have to do something with not overriding method from the base (Page) class. I am wondering why this problem has shown up after the migration and not before. Regards,Dennis van de Laarhttp://dennisv.net/Don't forget to mark the most helpful reply/replies as Answer. ...

IIS 6, .net 1.1 and .net 2
Hi,I read that .net 2 will be 100 % compatible with .net 1.1.Can I then remove .net 1.1 from machine and than install .net 2?Would application writen in VS2003 work on IIS6 server with only .net 2 installed?Thanks.Darko Bazulj Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0 (Beta) CompatibilityDarrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you!...

VS.net says .net 1.1 not installed
This is really driving me nuts!! I installed VS.net, installed IIS 5, then installed (supposedly) .net framework 1.1 Heres the rub. I try to create a new web app in vs and all I get are messages telling me that the server does not have .net 1.1 installed. I re-installed the .net framework 1.1 and tried again. Still nothing. I am running the server on the same machine that I am working with VS.net for now. I have looked around the Internet and have followed several tutorials and quick fixes that did not work at all. I have tried restarting the server. I have tried renameing w...

Web resources about - When does Session.Abandon remove session variables (.NET 1.1)? - asp.net.state-management

Mozilla moves Firefox to variable release schedule
... schedule process "carefully" and learning "a lot" from it in the past years, Mozilla has announced that Firefox is now moving to a variable ...

Staley: 'A lot of different variables...been a hard year'
... 41° Navigation Home Giants A's Sharks Warriors Kings 49ers Raiders Quakes Insiders More Tickets Shop Watch Staley: 'A lot of different variables...been ...

When your environment variables are showing
There are embarrassing moments in life. There is the teacher calling you out as a child in class as you stare out the window wistfully imagining ...