Web farm load balacing resulting in IsPostBack always == false?

Ok, got two web servers that are basically load balanced between. Application works just fine in single server environment. Also, if I'm lucky enough to post back to the same server in load balanced environemt everything also works fine. The problem starts when I end up posting back between servers. I've confirmed I am running the same .NET version, same exact application version, same machineKey settings, etc. on both ServerA and ServerB.

Basically if you've done any research on this stuff before you know that the first thing the page stuffs in it's ViewState is the result of Page::GetTypeHashCode. Upon post back, the page loads it's ViewState and compares the current value of Page::GetTypeHashCode to the ViewStated value and if the hash codes don't match it basically considers it a non-post back and stop's loading ViewState. This is all to handle the scenario where the page has had its control tree changed since the post back.  (For the real ASP.NET plumbing geeks this all about _fPageLayoutChanged == true.) Normally this is great and a key to the success of ASP.NET plumbing, except now, for whatever reason, the value must not be getting generated the same way on ServerA and ServerB because IsPostBack is always false when I cross the server boundary.

I've spent about four hours in cordbg nailing this down and, hopefully as you can see, have done my homework before asking for help. Does anyone have a clue as to what could be happening here???

TIA,
Drew
Chief Software Architect
Mimeo.com, Inc. - http://www.mimeo.com
0
drub0y

Better State Management in the Web Farm?
After reading these great FAQ and Discussions ... ASP.NET Session State http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspnet/html/asp12282000.asp Understanding session state modes + FAQ http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=7504 Session State and Clustered SQL Server 2000 http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=435215 we are in the web farm environment, but we decide not to use SQLServer to store our states, just because it's the worest performance in all state management solution. Currently, we...

sharing application state in web farm/web garden
Hi List, I read article saying using SQL Server to hold application state information in web farm/web garden. But I do not how to implement it inside the code. Can someone help me some sample code?Thanks in advance, Peter Check out this article: http://www.dbazine.com/sql/sql-articles/cook9 Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you!...

Enterprise Web Server / Web Manager will not load
Web server will load for approximately 50 seconds and then unload itself. Cannot access web manager at all. error on logger screen reads: Module MOD_JK.NLM load status OK [crit] (10022)unknown error:make_secure_socket for address 172.16.1.5 port 2200, WSAIoctl: (SO_SSL_SET_SERVER) Issue began with Groupwise 6.5 SP2 upgrade from SP1. Issue also posted on the Groupwise Board, as I am unsure of who can help with this one... Any and all help will be much appreciated! Thanks, J This is because the certificate you are using is either damaged or expired (check with P...

Session State in Web Farms and Web Gardens Using InProc
Is it possible to do the session state control in any way using InProc State Management. I dont want to Keep a seperate Session State Process or SQL to be used for this.. Please suggest a solution.. Thanks firozOzman..::firozozman::.. If you have web garden, that means multiple processors in one machine and one ASP.NEt worker process per processor serving requests, that is multiple worker processes. Therefore each and every of these processes have separate copy of application state, in-process session state, ASP.NET cache, static data and so on. Basically same goes with web farm exc...

Problems losing the state with SQL Session State in a Web Farm
Having a huge problem using different IIS servers and one SQL Server State. When the user goes from computer A to B the B computer quicks him out to Login again. Any solution? Cheers Al  CheersAlMy BlogMapStats.NETPlease click on 'Mark as Answer' if this post answered your question! Searched the KB: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325056 Hope it will help....

Page loads twice, IsPostBack=False on second load in Firefox.
 Hi,This has been haunting me for a while.  I had some page elements which were only supposed to be initialized on the first page load. I was checking for ispostback and only loading them when it was false.  As was documented on some posts here, Firefox (due to some syntax error somewhere which I have not found yet) was loading the page twice and the ispostback was returning false.  The problem does not happen in IE.  Those elements are so critical to the program that I can't trust the ispostback anymore.  I have made a session("IsPostBack") and I ...

IsPostBack Is always false
Hi,Recently I made some changes to a site that was working fine. After these changes were made the Ispostback value is always false and this has mean't loss of events firing. After days of searching google I can't figure out what went wrong. The viewstate is enabled in the masterpage and web.config. What sort of debugging steps should I be taking to hunt down this problem as I can't pin point it to a specific change that I made and I am pretty sure the viewstate (or lack of it) is the problem . All help is much appreciate :)Increase your wine sales - www.winecommerce.co.za Hi t...

Load Balaned Web Servers (or Web Farm) with "Fail-Over" versus Session Variables??
Hi, I like using Session variables to hold on to the current users ID (and prove they are logged in & valid etc).  However Im working on a project which will be deployed using multiple web servers.  All should be fine if load balancing is configured so that each new user is linked to the initial web server they get on their first request.  Right?  .. So that will be the load balancing taken care of.  BUT.. users will be kicked off if that one web server goes down...  not really the point of all those web servers... so, the tech...

onComplete(result) --> result is always null even though web service is returning a string
I have an ASP.NET web service with the ScriptService attribute I have a method called GetSession() which is marked as a [WebMethod]The WebMethod is working fine and returning a string which I have tested in DebugThe string that is returned from the web service is something like this... "21-AKU6Bqe0q9O2PwhOn3Rp" Im my Javascript on the page I have the Service referenced in my ScriptManager and I am calling the proxy method GetSession(OnComplete,OnFailed)from some client side javascript when a button is clicked. here is my OnComplete and OnFailed functions   ...

Maintain State on Web Farm
I am developing an app that will be placed on a web farm (3 different servers).How can I set it up to maintain a users state across these 3 servers?Links, advice would be great.  You can for example use a state server, or Sql server or a custom solution. Here is a link to the different options and they will also show how you set it up: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178586.aspx Select the soluiton that you think is best for you, I prefer the SQL Server (if they are in a cluster), you will probably figure out why../Fredrik Normén - fredrikn @ twitterMicrosoft MVP, MCSD, M...

web controls state management
Hi,      I have a search page with N of textBoxes. If suppose, we enter "firstname" in a textbox , it takes you to the other page which display the list with that firstname. There is a back button in that page and when I click it. it go back to search page with clearing the textbox value.I want to retain the page control values when the user return to search page. Is it possible to retain the textbox value when we come back to page? Thanks Nitham I beleive you would want to store the values of your text boxes in variables and do an If Page.IsPostBack, text boxes = v...

State Management in Web Forms
This article discusses the ways in which the state management can be handled in web forms. State management can be done either on client side or server side as explained below. Author-Jalajakshi Venkataramana http://www.dotnetbips.com/displayarticle.aspx?id=247...

Session State on a web farm
Edited by moderator XIII: I am running a web farm application and I record a session variable on one machine(through ip) and try to get the value on the other machine, but I get a null reference exception. My session is configured to be state server and I checked the web.config on both machines to see if they where poiting to the same state server, and they are.The curious thing its that I can see that the session id its the same on both servers. I read something about IIs site ID, could that be the problem?  Pack of control for .nethttp://www.extendersamples.qsh.eu How are you ...

Web resources about - Web farm load balacing resulting in IsPostBack always == false? - asp.net.state-management

C# dotnet SQL editor (codebehind side)
... this diy SQL... protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e){ // Load the connections only the first time the page is loaded if (!IsPostBack) ...

Silverlight, FireFox and 100%
In my last post I mentioned something nice about FireFox. In this post I’ll talk something not that nice about FireFox and the way we, more or ...

Visual Studio 11 Beta in Context
... : System.Web.UI.Page { private readonly DemoWhateverDataContext _db = new DemoWhateverDataContext(); public void Page_Load() { if (!IsPostBack) ...

Recent questions
Recent questions

Upgrading to JSF 2
... at org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.DefaultRestoreViewSupport.isPostback(DefaultRestoreViewSupport.java:179) at org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.Re ...

CodeSOD: Count On It
... right for Request.QueryString["number"]; , but not this special snowflake: protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) { if (!IsPostBack) ...

Fully Editable Datagrid - Pale Musings
This is the text from an article I wrote back in April of 2003 and had published on the original DotNetJunkies site. After my recent change in ...

WebstersProdigy
Colored Hat. New post around the First of the Month

Check Uncheck all CheckBoxes in an ASP.NET GridView using jQuery
... partial class Default4 : System.Web.UI.Page{ List listEmp = new List (); protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) { if (!Page.IsPostBack) ...

QueryHome
QueryHome: Community edited question and answer site for technical collaboration and technical networking.