VS.NET Web App messing up form authentication? Help, please?

Does anyone know of any problems with creating a VS.NET Web App in a forms authenticated subfolder?  I created a Web App "pics" with VS.NET as a subfolder of wwwroot, and the Request.ServerVariables("AUTH_USER") is always blank on all the pages in this subfolder wwwroot/pics.  I deleted the VS.NET premade Web.Config file so that there is only the one file at wwwroot, but that didn’t help.    Are there any other files created by VS.NET that could be messing this up?  I made other ASPX subfolders outside of VS.NET and they all continue the session just fine, it's like this VS.NET configured subfolder doesn't recognize the session state or is restarting the session, and I can't figure out where this is happening.

Here is my web.config file:
<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
<compilation defaultLanguage="vb" debug="true" />
<authentication mode="Forms">
<forms loginUrl="http://www.robneff.net/default.aspx" name=".AUTHASPX" protection="All" timeout="15" path="/" />
</authentication>
<authorization>
<allow users="*,?"/>
</authorization>
</system.web>
IF I add the below section to web.config, and when I click any links to content in the VS.NET folder, I am routed back to “wwwroot/default.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fpics/%2fVSNETCreated.aspx” where /pics/VSNETCreated.aspx was the page I requested. This is expected, except it again shows again that my Authentication variable isn’t being carried into the subfolder pics.
<location path="pics">
<system.web>
<authorization>
<deny users="?"/>
</authorization>
</system.web>
</location>
</configuration>
Thanks for any suggestions. Remember, my login page is working, and I can create aspx files and subfolders outside of VS.NET where Request.ServerVariables("AUTH_USER") shows up correctly. It's just I need to use VS.NET
Rob
0
MrBuffNeff

The problem was the subfolder was configured as an Application.  Thus when IE tried to enter this folder, it was creating new blank Application variables to replace the Default web site Application variables, including Request.ServerVariables("AUTH_USER").

So in summary, the root "login folder" should be the only folder configured to run as an Application unless you want to have multiple logins (and drive users crazy).
0
MrBuffNeff

Session State in VS.Net
Hi.. I have an ASP background with very little VB. I'm trying to integrate a transactional app into DotNetNuke. The trans app uses session state to verify userid. I dont want to change all the code in the trans. app so I thought updating the following code to include Session("UID") = userId in signin.ascs.vb would do the trick but it doesnt appear to be storing the userid into state. Does anyone know what the problem might be ? If blnLogin Then ' Attempt to Validate User Credentials Dim userId As Integer = objSecurity.UserLogin(txtUsername.Text, txtPassword.Text, _p...

Please Help!! web parts and .net forms
This is a two part question. 1. i have a simple .net form that captures users input and i want to post to another form to show users input and data from a database into a data grid. In keep posting back to the first form. I have action and method set correctly on my first form, no idea why it post to same form. i even have a response.redirect in the click event of the button on the first form. 2. Does anyone know of any good site/web cast that step you through a basic web part for sharepoint 2007 i am using both visual studio 2005 and 2008. I heard that it is like a 12 step ...

C#.NET in VS.NET vs. C# in Web Matrix
Hi all, I am very new to .NET ... I realized C#.NET is only available from Visual Studio.NET ... however, I realized Web Matrix also allowed us to choose C# as language but not C#.NET ... they are not the same, right? If not, then why it's in Web Matrix which runs ASP.NET?? If I need to run C#.Net, I MUST GET VS.NET, right? Can C#.NET has the abality to create chat program? Thank you very much. C#.NET and C# are the same thing. JimMS MVP ASP.NET [VC++/MFC emeritus]Old Dog Learns New TricksPreferred programming language: cuneiform on clay tablets So ... that means I can use web matrix t...

vb.net vs c#.net vs j#.net

Desperate Visual Studio .NET problem with Web Forms, please help
Hi, I've posted in the past about this problem and got no response, but now I'm desperate so have to try again. In Visual Studio .NET 2003, with .NET Framework 1.1, all web form controls (in fact all controls in the toolbar) are disabled. I create a webform.aspx page, I am in design view, but when I go to the "web forms" toolbar, I cannot drag anything to the page. I solved this last time by completely wiping my drive and spending three days reinstalling and updating everything. Everything in Visual Studio worked as expected for a few days, and now yet again everything is disabled. Can s...

convert the web application from vs.net 2002 to vs.net 2003
hi how can i convert the web application from vs.net 2002 to vs.net 2003 and how i know that the application is made in vs.net 2002 and not in vs.net 2003 and thank for your time VS.NEt 2003 detects 2002 project format automatically when you try to open 2002 project with it. It also asks you if the project needs to be converted into 2003 format (if I remember right conversion must be done to use the project in 2003). If you say yes, it does the conversion and you don't have to do anything. Note that VS.NEt 2002 can't open 2003 projects.Thanks,Teemu KeiskiFinland, EU thank you for your...

Converting Web Service/Basic Authentication Code From Client App To VS .Net
We've got a Web service we need to access from both client applications (like Excel) and from other Websites. As part of our security we need basic authentication for the Web service. On the client side we managed to hack it in using a bit of backdoor code. In Excel 2003, the following code works successfully to create an instance of the Web service:  Set sc_POC = New SoapClient30 m_WSDL_URL = "https://username:password@mysite/myWS.asmx?wsdl" sc_POC.MSSoapInit2 m_WSDL_URL, str_WSML, c_SERVICE, c_PORT, c_SERVICE_NAMESPACE sc_POC.ConnectorProperty("ProxyServer...

Funny character being added instead of spaces in .net web forms...please help
Hi,in all of my asp.net pages I have the following html code:&nbsp;&lt;TD class=padding colSpan=2 height=23&gt;&lt;div align="center"&gt;&lt;A &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; href="#"&gt;Privacy Policy&lt;/A&gt; »&lt;a href="#"&gt; Terms of Use&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/TD&gt;on my default.aspx page, this gets displayed as: Privacy Policy » Terms of Useand the code isPrivacy Policy » Terms of UseCan ...

Copying VS.NET web project to Win 2003 and opening it in VS.NET
Hi all, Environment: ASP.NET 1.1; VS.NET Enterprise 2003; Windows Server 2003; IIS 6.0 I hope somebody can help me figure this out. I created a Web project on my XP Dev machine which I can open, run, debug and do everything else. I can "deploy" the project to my 2003 server and open the site in explorer browser. But now, I want to transfer the whole solution to my Win 2003 and continue the development and testing on it. So, I transferred the whole VS solution directory from my XP machine to the Win 2003 machine. I created a Web site (not a virtual directory under default...

Can I install and use my VS.NET 2002 MSDN Help in VS.NET 2003?
Hi! I would like to know if I could install MSDN help from VS.NET 2002 (Architect) for VS.NET 2003 (Architect). Thanks! :)...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003

Deploying VS.NET 2005 Crystal on a Web Server for Web App
Can someone confirm when/where the Crystal for VS.NET 2005 Merge Modules will be available?Secondarily.. I am wanting to deploy to a web server and with VS.NET 2003 v (and VS.NET 2002 version), I had to use the merge modules to be able to enter in our product key otherwise we had licensing issues.I just read a post that seemed to imply that this may not be needed with VS.NET 2005 version.. is that so?I am able to create a installation package by choosing Crystal as a prerequisite in the VS.NET 2005 setup project, but that seems more like the thing we would do if we were shipping out a WinFor...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003 #2

Web resources about - VS.NET Web App messing up form authentication? Help, please? - asp.net.state-management

New Tools to Optimize App Authentication
At f8, we announced a redesigned Auth Dialog and a new authentication flow to give developers more control over people’s first experience with ...

Facebook Tells Some Developers They Have 48 Hours to Fix Authentication Data Leaks
... sent an email to what it calls a “very small percentage of the developer community” informing them their apps are suspected of leaking authentication ...

Sony Authentication Power Outlet Recognizes Users and Devices #DigInfo - YouTube
Sony Authentication Power Outlet Recognizes Users and Devices DigInfo TV - http://diginfo.tv 9/3/2012 NFC & Smart WORLD 2012 Sony Authentication ...

Two-factor authentication - cyber security -
Two recent hacking cases highlight how personal emails can impact overall business security through tiny weaknesses.

ATO boosts service access via app and voice authentication
The ATO has announced it will extend its voice authentication system to its mobile app