Two page question

If I have two pages, one that asks you to type in a username, and one that lets you search for a username, how would i make sure that the rest of the fields on the first page stay the same once you come back to it from the second page.

Page 1 -> Page 2
^-----<----'
0
jasoncarr

See:

ViewState: Restore after Redirect
Thanks,

Teemu Keiski
Finland, EU
0
joteke

State Management With Regard to Two Browsers Displaying the Same Page
Hi, I am working on implementing a SlideShow page that is associated with a Photo Album that displays all photos in the album starting from the first one to the last.  I was not able to figure out a way to implement this cycling of photos without using Session state variables and Response.Redirect calls (maybe there is a problem with this approach).  Anyways, I can get the page to work as expected if I only run one copy of this page at a time.  If I try running a second copy of the page in the same session at the same time, the sess...

i have 3 pages student information , i filled two pages ,then go to 3rd page . First Two pages iam having 100 controls.how to store that controls and how to send these controls into 3rd page in ?
i have 3 pages student information , i filled two pages ,then go to 3rd page . First Two pages iam having 100 controls.how to store that controls and how to send these controls into 3rd page in ?  There are a number of ways storing values. Check out: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/75x4ha6s.aspxhttp://www.csharphelp.com/archives/archive207.html Thanks,Karan~ Remember To Mark The Post(s) That Helped You As The ANSWER ~ Hi, Welcome to asp.net forums. Now as far as your requirements goes, the first thing that strikes me is that 100 controls are way too many to kee...

question about manager state
hi,i need to hide a link in my site if the user is not the managerso what is the elegant way to do that? do i need to check in each page if its the manager (from the session)?thanks i will explain it clearly- i have a user control with some links so if the user is not the manager i want to hide one of the link how to do that? hope you will be able to help me...its urgent... I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly?  Just check if the user is a manager (depending on your situation of handling roles) and switch the visibility of your links. Please provide some code if you need more help. "I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code." -unknown on the page where you want to hide link - on pageload get the user.identity.name - then using a sql like .. select user_role from employees where employee_id=user.identity.name ( if you stored the id there like I did) or select user_role from employees where employee_name=user.identity.name if user_role="manager" then link1.visible="true" else link1.visible="false" end if just one way - you could probably store something in session variable about the user's role - HTH Hope That HelpsAll that wander, are not lost...What were we talkin bout Ok, and i need to check it in each page,right? thanks for the help  ppl1 wrote: i have a user control with some links so if the user is not the manager i want to hide one of the link how to do that? hope y...

Page state management
Howdy, Is there a mechanism to persist data across an instance of a particular page-- basically like a session variable but restricted to the page only. Basically I am trying to avoid having to re-instantiate a member of my page class every time the page loads. For example, say I have Dim X as New Y(PullFromDataBase ID) in my page class. I don't want to have to pull X from the database every time the page loads. However, I don't want to use session variables in case the user has multiple browser windows open, so the session variables won't conflict. Any ideas? I should prob...

Several State Management questions
I figured out the following: 1. When the user opens the same page on two browserwindows (two instances of browser) two sessions get created. So you can say that sessions identify browser instances? 2. When the user opens the same page on two register cards only one session gets created, How can I identify from which register card (from which page) the web request is coming from(Viewstate / Cookies)? 3. How can I identify all Sessions belonging to one membership user. E.g. I opened the same page on two browserwindows, two sessions got created. Then I logi...

Fundament Question on Page State
I would like to navigate to a different page, select an item off the new page, and then return to the original page without losing the state of the first page.  I am very new to ASP.  This seems like a common problem but I have not been able to find the solution.  Thanks....

State Management Question(s)
First the Question(s)  What is the best way with in the DNN architecture to handle state for a value/object that is session (user) specific and is used through out the application (cross modules/cross pages)?  Is there a good example within DNN 3.1.1 to review?  (I reviewed UserInfo thinking that would be a good example.  However, DNN uses Context.User.Identity.Name to retrieve the UserInfo. Since I am developing a custom concept I do not have the luxury of using that property.)   Problem Domain  Basically I have a object called Project that has an...

State Management; .Net Profiler
Here is the situation with the customized profiler. I got a profiler class called SSOProfileProvider inheriting from ProfileProvider. I've implemented the Initilization, GetPropertyValues and SetPropertyValues. The Get... and Set.. are making a call to the database to store profile into the database. This class has been stored in the separate DLL called "Security.DLL" and there is a web site that is using this dll. The web.Config for this website is as follow:<profile enabled="true" inherits="AppProfileBase" defaultProvider="SSO" automat...

Two questions on Managing Cache
I am writing an application, and I have decided to cache some long-running queries. Since these queries have variable parameters, I have devised a scheme to basically marshall the parameter values and use them as a key. This way, the results of the query will be cached for each unique variant. (i.e. If the query has two variable parameters then the key will be "var1_value_var2_value")Given this I have two questions:   1. How can I look at the Cache, to see how big it is growing based on these values   2. How can I set dependencies so that if the underlying table is u...

Is there a way to save all control state on a page and later return to that page in that state?
My scenario is a help subsystem.  User has controls on a page in some state, then clicks on "help".  They may naviagate several hops at that point, but when they click "return" i want to return to the page they left, in the state they had at the point they left (all controls on the page in that state as they were when user clicked on help). In other words, i want something like Reponse.Redirect, but that allows not only specification of a page to redirect to, but a state for controls on that page that is different from its usual default starting controls state. If you have ideas,...

Two VS.net 2003 questions
Does anyone know of a good class generator for vs.net? I have seen the source code for some huge classes, and they seem to have been created with some sort of wizard or class generator, because the code just looks too perfect. Also, how can I set VS.net 2003 to recognize .dnn files as XML, and .SqlDataProvider files as SQL. I would like to have those files color coded properly. I have looked through the options for this, and I could not find it. Thanksjangeadordelianna.com Hi, As far as the class generators go, there are quite a few going around, but my favourite right now is Code...

State management in cross page posting
Hi, I have a main asp.net form. From this form I "server.transfer" to another form to pick up data from a search list which is used to fill fields in the main form. But when I come back to the main form, the fields that had been filled before calling the search form are cleaned out. Is there an easy way to retain the values in the original form when I cross  post back from the search form? Regards, Sandyhttp://www.thequinn.infohttp://www.sksdataservices.comhttp://www.infobasket.info Hello,You can use session to store your value.To store value in session writestring yourVa...

Custom login page and state management
Good day to all! I'm new to ASP.NET 2.0. I'm creating an application that has the common login and logout page, but I need to create a customlogin page that just stores the user name and password, so there is no authentication on the login page, but I want to store thisuser name and password between page requests. In the other pages aside from the login and logout pages, that is where I'm going tojust check if the user name and password has access to a certain resource. So what is the best and secure way to store the user name and password, to be able to pass them between pages?...

Application state management? (N00b question?)
Hi Folks - be nice to me, I'm new and I may have done something stupid. Basically I have a PVR controller web application I'm working on, but I can't seem to get the timer functionality (to control the start & stop actions of the PVR) to stay alive.  I built a class and initialised it in the application scope so as far as I understand it it should only have one instance of this class, but it seems to create multiple instances (which cannot connect to the PVR as it only allows a single connection and fail).  When the class is running then it appears to work correctly, but ...

Two questions about master pages and navigation
1. In a server function, how do I redirect one page back, like in the "Back" button of the browser? 2. How do I switch between two master pages for the same content page? (For example: one master page will load for a logged in user and a different master page will load for a visiter)David Stern Online!www.davidstern.co.ilwww.faceglobal.com 1. One way to do this is in your server function insert javascript into the page that just does history.back() or history.go(-1). Either one of those will do what the back button does. Another way to do is to call redirect and use the url in R...

Managing Application State
What's the appropriate way to manage Application state using locks?I've googled around and seen the following:Application.Lock() Application["Test"] = 1; Application.Unlock();static object obj = new object();lock(obj){     Application["Test"] = 1;}static ReaderWriterLock rwl = new ReaderWriterLock(); rwl.AcquireWriterLock(1000); Application["Test"] = 1; rw1.ReleaseWriterLock();  I'm thinking:The first method prevents any other thread from accessing the Application object until Unlock is called.  The second method i...

how to maintain state between two web page.?
 how to maintain state between two web page.?Happy Programming Sandeep M Ramani(http://ramanisandeep.wordpress.com) A clean approach: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/MaintainPageState.aspx  ASP.NET Grid With Excel Capabilities | 27 GridView Tips & Tricks | Hosting your site? | SQL Server Tips To maintain state between multiple pages you need to use session. To pass data to sessionSession["VariableName"]  = Value;To fetch value from sessionstring value =  Session["VariableName"].ToString()Vikram www.vikramlakhotia.comPlease mark the answ...

Hosting Question
Hi, I have two domains (e.g a.com and b.com) under a single web hosting package. a.com is for informative purposes and everyone can log in whereas b.com is a application that can be used only by users who log in. How can I make people who enter www.a.com to go to the pages designated for a.com and when people enter www.b.com, they will be directed to a login page? Please remember that there can only be 1 web.config as my hosting package allows only 1 web.config.Currently, any users that type in www.a.com or www.b.com will be brought to the index page inside my page (which is actually the hom...

two basic questions Script Manager and Toolkit
1. My ajax toolbox does not have a scriptmanager in it.  The controls work and I do use them.  but I have to paste this into the page. <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" /> Why isn't the script manager in my toolbox? 2. What are the basic rules for using a scriptmanager with masterpages.  I put this control in the master page and it errors out that the page requires a script manager. if I put the script manager in the page it squiggles and says that this script manager is not a known element. If I am not using masterpages ...

Paging Paging Paging
I am trying to do paging with my search results and it isnt working very well. Here is what I've tried and I feel I've tried everything, lol, please help me out. Sub DataGrid1_SortCommand(Sender as object, e as DataGridSortCOmmandEventArgs) DataGrid1.DataBind() End Sub Sub Datagrid1_PageIndexChanged(Sender as object, e as DataGridPageChangedEventArgs) Dim ds as dataSet DataGrid1.CurrentPageIndex = e.NewPageIndex if Session("Search") is nothing then 'Session probably has expired, get the datasource from database Datagrid1.DataSource = ...

Windows Authentication and Session state management question
Hi, I am confused with Windows Authentication and state management. I am developing an Intranet portal integrated with AD. There are some session variables in my code. If I use Forms authentication, instead of Windows authentication, I can set timeout for authentication ticket and sesstion state, so that session variables can stay longer than authentication ticket. But now I am using Windows authentication ...... A user can log into the Intranet portal and take a long survey. If the user fills out half of the questions and goes out for several hours, then when he comes back to continue the survey, what will happen because the session variables related with the survey are expired? How can I prevent the user from continuing his work? Thanks in advance. on postback, you check for a session var and if its not there, you send them back to the beginning.Mike Banavige~~~~~~~~~~~~Need a site code sample in a different language? Try converting it with: http://converter.telerik.com/...

Question: How to save entire aspx page state?
Hello every, here is my requirement: I have a Error.aspx which will display all error information, so whenever an error occurs in a page execution, it will use the Response.Redirect("Error.aspx?Message=xxx"); to redirect the user response. However, what I need is that when user finishes reading the error message, he should be able to redirect back to previous page, all state of the previous page should be recovered.   In this case, my solution is: 1.Save all state in session 2.Redirect to Error.aspx 3.Redirect back, and call a method (such as Recover()) to restore the saved state   The problem is: How can I save the entire page state? I have tried store ViewState to session but it does not work with common controls like TextBox, also the SavePageStateToPersistMedium and LoadPageStateToPersistMedium does not work for me, the SaveViewState and SaveControlState both return a null   so how to save all state in Step 1 of my solution? any help would be appreciated, Thanks! You should be able to handle with Session. So right before you redirect to your error page, just say: Session("txtFirstName") = txtFirstName.Text. Then when you redirect to the original page, you can retrieve the value like so: txtFirstName.Text = CType(Session("txtFirstName"), String). Redirect back is a bad idea because you can get circle error. I always redirec to default page which 99% error less. Alexei Cioina. http://www.calif...

Two questions about getting values from page elements...
Hi all,I am having trouble getting data values from my pages for a couple functions.  Thanks in advance for your help.1. I have a dropdownlist on my master page that is populated with usernames.  I have a function that I call frequently where I need to retrieve this value.  What syntax (in vb) will allow me to find this dropdown on the master page from an external function?2. I have a gridview that is nested within a datalist/repeater.  I have created a button on the gridview to insert another item to this gridview, but want to access the current datakey from the datalist...

Web resources about - Two page question - asp.net.state-management

World Science Festival Brisbane 2016: Questions abound in learning extravaganza
Are humans on the verge of destroying our planet? Is creativity linked to insanity? And just when are we finally going to be whizzing around ...

Question of the Day: What's the most irritating car name?
Filed under: Design/Style , Etc. , Automotive History I say every remaining example of the Oldsmobile Achieva should be crushed, just to erase ...

Yahoo! Board Seats ‘Perplex’ SunTrust; ‘Fiduciary Duty’ in Question
SunTrust Robinson Humphrey ’s Robert Peck this morning follows up on the announcement by Yahoo! ( YHOO ) this morning that it has appointed two ...

I find that I've stopped using question marks.
What's the point of question marks. We understand questions from the order of the words alone, and when there are ambiguous sequences — like ...

Florida governor kicked off 'Morning Joe' after dodging questions about Trump's latest inflammatory statement ...
Florida Gov. Rick Scott was kicked off of MSNBC's "Morning Joe" on Thursday after he refused to directly answer a question about GOP frontrunner ...

9 questions about Trump University answered
More than 150 former students allege it was a fraud; CBS News tackles common questions asked about Donald Trump's university

‘Foolish and Impractical’: Security Experts Question Trump’s Mexico Wall Proposal
Donald Trump’s proposal to build a wall along the southwest border Mexico would decrease delicate bilateral border security cooperation, set ...

Forget it Jake, it's Podtoid questions time
Wow, ya'll catch this Podtoid 327: Bathtubs Full of French Fries ? Boy howdy, what a hootenanny that was largely because of those lovely questions ...

Five Questions To Ask Before Joining A Coworking Space
The following questions can help you weigh your options before making a physical and financial investment in a coworking space.