State Management; .Net Profiler

Here is the situation with the customized profiler.

I got a profiler class called SSOProfileProvider inheriting from ProfileProvider. I've implemented the Initilization, GetPropertyValues and SetPropertyValues.

The Get... and Set.. are making a call to the database to store profile into the database.

This class has been stored in the separate DLL called "Security.DLL" and there is a web site that is using this dll. The web.Config for this website is as follow:

<profile enabled="true" inherits="AppProfileBase" defaultProvider="SSO" automaticSaveEnabled="false">
<
providers>
<
add name="SSO" type="Security.SSOProfileProvider, Security" applicationName="TESTING" ssoWSPath="http://localhost/ssoservicehost"/><add name="SessionBased" type="SessionBasedProfileProvider" SessionKey="__PROFILE-ITEMS__"/>
</
providers>
<
properties>

<add name="UIThemeName" type="System.String" defaultValue="default" serializeAs="String"/>

<add name="TimeZoneIndex" type="System.Byte" defaultValue="24" serializeAs="String"/>

</properties>

</profile>

But whenever I'm trying to get any property it is throwing an error that Profiler is null...

if (HttpContext.Current.Profile["UIThemeName"] != null)

What wrong am I doing here?

thanks.

0
amit

As far as I can see, you want to create a Custom Profile Provider, so please refer to the following link below for more information about "How Do I: Create a Custom Profile Provider?"

http://www.asp.net/learn/videos/video-190.aspx

I look forward to receiving your test results.

Sincerely,
Zong-Qing Li
Microsoft Online Community Support
Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as
Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.
0
Zong
12/2/2008 5:49:25 AM

Hi there, thank you for the inputs and this does gave me a basics on what I did not know about it. the problem here is still persist that I cannot find where I'm missing the point.

1. The Services are accessible (tested through the Internet explorer)
2. Web.Config is defining the right version, and the class name.
3. Set... and Get... function is defined properly.

But the Get function never being called after the successful login. Where I'm missing the point and when this profile object gets populated in the context. Do we do manually or does asp.net automatically makes a call through the defined profile implementation, as per web.config, and set after the login?

 Please help as it is freezing me to proceed further...

0
amit

Easy explanation on Stateless management and State management
Hi,  Till now, me still confuse to understand Stateless management and State management. Can anybody explain to me in an easy understand with example? stateless - you cannot persist any values on frequent page request and response. state mgmt - you can retain values on subsequent calls. have a look at this http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-1049585.html"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups" hi, The World Wide Web, on the other hand, is intrinsically stateless because each request for a new Web page is processed without any kn...

Microsoft Chart control for .NET Framework about state management and serialization problem, it works OK with one XML file but fails with another XML file
I use Microsoft Chart control for .NET Framework , you can see details at http://blogs.msdn.com/alexgor/archive/2008/10/27/microsoft-chart-control-for-net-framework-released.aspx The Chart1 is load data from a xml and save to ViewStateData, so even if after I click Reload button, the chart1 still display OK! I'm very strange that the chart1 works well after click Reload button if it's loaded from Chart1.Serializer.Load(HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath("~/Template/1.xml"));but chart1 don't display fter click Reload button if it's loaded from Chart1.Serializer.Loa...

What is managed and un managed code in .net 2.0
Hi all what is the differnce between Managed and un Managed code in .net 2.0 can any body suggest me the article regarding use of Interfaces in .net 2.0   Best regards Rameezwaheedlife is name of learning!Mark as an answer if it helps Check out this link   http://www.eggheadcafe.com/community/aspnet/2/10034664/managed-vs-unmanaged-code.aspx  Thanks,santosh_maharajaPlease mark as answer if you got expected solution.  Hi,    The code can be executed by .net CLR is Managed Code, code which can't be are unmanaged code Refer...Managed / UnManage...

Managing Users over .NET Management Website on different PCs
Hi,we are using Wed Developer Express 2005 on one PC to develop our website. The user and role management we are doing over the .NET website.No we hae installed Web Developer Express 2008 on another PC and also the other user should be able to manage the users and roles. But we always get a connection error to the Rsa provider.Can you please give me an idea what to do? Greetz, Chris  You dont tell us how you are running the site is it on a local iis or a hosted server and the same with the sql database? I take it that each machine has the website loaded in vwd and then you are u...

state management
Dear all, I want to know the difference between view state and control state.Also I need some demos for the following: ----composite controls and templated controls ----creating and managing cookies ---cached items dependency and many more.Kindly help me on the above topics.Any help is welcome.   Thanks A new instance of the Web page class is created each time the page is posted to the server. In traditional Web programming, this would typically mean that all information associated with the page and the controls on the page would be lost with each round trip. For example, if a ...

what is state management?
give me answer how to use it? which is mainly used to store the values of controls or varaibles in a web page. you must look google for these types of questions. www.csharphelp.com/archives/archive207.html msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/75x4ha6s.aspx msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/y5y3c2c5(VS.71).aspxGive a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him forever. Hi You can use below link for state management. http://www.csharphelp.com/archives/archive207.html    If this post helps you, please mark it as Answer.Gnana Prakash...

What is state management?
What is state management?Ashok kumar check this Microsoft Documentation: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconaspstatemanagement.aspcheers,erikErik van Ballegoij, The Netherlands HTTP is a stateless protocol so  to do what you do in a Windows application you have to use Session state andthere are several ways of doing it.  If you write C# take a look at Coding Strategies of the Asp.net team by Rob Howard et al ,the people who runs this site and Programming .NET by Jeff Prosise.  Try these links for more info.  Hope this he...

State Management How to???
hallo friends,   i am developing an Online Test application -- in which each student logins and the page will be redirected to exam page...there will be question and 5 options..when the answer is selected and clicks next button next question will come..(If question is attempted the questionID and Option will be added to a AnswerString in DataBase)but if because of some reason that session is closed and then the candidate logs in he/she should start the exam frm the last attempted question...hw can i achieve that????each time the student attempts the question whether i have to updat...

State Management
<script language="javascript"> <!-- .... viewSecs = (secsRemain < 10) ? viewSecs = "0" + secsRemain : viewSecs = secsRemain; viewMins = (minsRemain < 10) ? viewMins = "0" + minsRemain : viewMins = minsRemain; viewHrs = (hrsRemain < 10) ? viewHrs = "0" + hrsRemain : viewHrs = hrsRemain; timerID = setTimeout("showtime()",1000); timerRunning = true; problem here = viewTime .... //--> </script> <form id="Form1" method="post" runat="server"> &...

how to manage states
Hi, one of my aspx page has calender controller and a gridview. when i select particular period on that calender my grid view data change. And there is a hyperlink fields in grid view. when i click on it it redirect to other page to edit that entry. After edit that entry i want to return to my original page. and grid view's data and calender selection should remain same when i return to it. i think this can be done by viewstate. if any one know pls let me know how to do this. Thanks and regards Amilaamila I have been trying (however unsuccessfully) to implement viewstate when navig...

State Management??
 Hi I am learner, i need syntax of View State, session,query string and cookie. Please help me out in this. I am happy if you can provide the links of good tutorials of statemanagement.Thanks Best Resource http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/75x4ha6s.aspx  Best Practices http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/z1hkazw7.aspx*** If this post helps you, then Mark this post as Answer *** Hi Friend, Here are  the link to study all about Session state and session objects... http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/ExploringSession.aspx These link is for cookies... http://w...

State Management
I thinking of using the portal to replace an existing application created using webclasses which was created in vb 6 but one of the issues the current application has is state managment. After reading the current documentation on state management for .NET I think that having state stored on the sql server would be best for our organization but I would like to know if anyone has used the portal for a large number of user. Our intended user community is growinig from hundreds to the thousands who will be using the given application continously throughout the day and we are worried about ...

Managing States
Hello, I want to know is there any way to manage states (session and Applecation state) in WebServices...As we know If we create any class, for differet Object we can have different memory allocation so we can have multiple values in multiple objects. Is this also true with web service ? Because i always dispose of web services after ive finished with the method call i end up with unique records in the web service application state rather than in the session state as the session ends when i dispose of the web service. Aside from that i believe (but would like someone to clarify) that th...

State Management
Hello, I'm reading about state management for controls, and how you can retain state by implementing code in the LoadControlState and SaveControlState methods. I was wondering if this functionality is superceding the IStateManager interface's functionality for controls? Or if different, what will be the difference in 2.0? Thanks, BrianBrian"Trust in the Lord and do what is good; dwell in the land and live securely. Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires" (Psalm 37: 3-4). The control-state is different from view-state in the control. Ho...

Web resources about - State Management; .Net Profiler - asp.net.state-management