session expires when its in use

Why would a session expires in session expiry time even though user is active on the site? There is no app recycle or rebuild of code. Shouldn't it extend the expiry time whenever user navigates in the site? I use sessions to keep/check if user is logged in and after 20 minutes default time session expires regardless user being active or idle in the site
0
asidana

Hello,

If you have not web requests the application pool time out, so increase the application pool timeout in the IIS console. Most shared Windows Hosting companies reduced the app pool timeout to 5 minutes to save server resources.

Regards

Windows Hosting ASP.NET | Top ASP.NET Hosts | Dedicated Windows Hosting
0
HostingASPNet
5/4/2009 12:11:10 PM

my problem is not immature timeout but timeout that doesn't get extended as user navigates and does request to/from server. Sessions gets lost when sessiontimout time has passed regardless. If i set it to 20 min they exprie in 20 min.

One note i must add is that i use Intelligencia.UrlRewriter

0
asidana
5/4/2009 2:14:18 PM

asidana:
If i set it to 20 min they exprie in 20 min.

set slidingExpiration="true" in webconfig..

<authentication mode="Forms">
     <forms name="userAuthentication" loginUrl="/Login.aspx"
       enableCrossAppRedirects="true" path="/" domain="" slidingExpiration="true" timeout="30" />
 </authentication>

My Blog

"Don't be afraid to be wrong; otherwise you'll never be right."
0
budugu
5/4/2009 2:23:24 PM
let me be more clear, my question is not related to any kind of login or auth method. im talking about a simple page and a sesion value in that page that expires in given time. default behevior for session values is not that, they get extended as user make requests to the server
0
asidana
5/4/2009 2:47:01 PM

Here are some other reasons for Session loss..

1.) IIS worker process restart or Application Pool recycle.(Check the System logs)

2.) Application Domain restart due to Antivirus scans or changes in Config files.

Changing the following files will cause restart of the application pool

  • web.config or machine.config
  • global.asax
  • files in bin directory

IIS worker process can get recycled depending on the configuration, low on virtual memory, crash due to unhandled exception etc..

Use Debug Diagnostics to find the problem..

http://www.iis.net/downloads/default.aspx?tabid=34&g=6&i=1286

or

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9BFA49BC-376B-4A54-95AA-73C9156706E7&displaylang=en

My Blog

"Don't be afraid to be wrong; otherwise you'll never be right."
0
budugu
5/4/2009 2:57:35 PM

Session will be active only if you access Session object within 20 minutes. If you don't access Session object and if you keep on moving around pages withoug accessin Session object, Session will expire.

To make sure Session stays alive, access session object withing 20 minutes.

Please mark it as answer if it resolves the issue.

visit: http://technicalsol.blogspot.com
1
sumitd
5/4/2009 3:21:45 PM

sumitd:

Session will be active only if you access Session object within 20 minutes. If you don't access Session object and if you keep on moving around pages withoug accessin Session object, Session will expire.

To make sure Session stays alive, access session object withing 20 minutes.

Not 100% true.  As long as a page has not disabled session state, it will access the session automatically when requested.

My Blog

"Don't be afraid to be wrong; otherwise you'll never be right."
0
budugu
5/4/2009 3:37:59 PM

I agree with you budugu.

Please mark it as answer if it resolves the issue.

visit: http://technicalsol.blogspot.com
0
sumitd
5/4/2009 3:58:15 PM

i haven't disabled session state

0
asidana

The page requires session state that is no longer available. Either the session has expired, the client did not send a valid session cookie, or the session state history size is too small. Try increas
Hi.. I am making a mobile application using .net framework 2.0. My Application has  web farm scenario so for state management  I am using Sateserver in my application. My application runs fine if I dont use web farm scenario But in case of web farm scenario it is giving me error "The page requires session state that is no longer available. Either the session has expired, the client did not send a valid session cookie, or the session state history size is too small. Try increasing the history size or session expiry limit."   &...

"The page requires session state that is no longer available. Either the session has expired, the client did not send a valid session cookie, or the session state history size is too small. Try increa
Hi.. I am making a mobile application using .net framework 2.0. My Application has web farm scenario so for state management I am using Sateserver in my application. My application runs fine if I dont use web farm scenario But in case of web farm scenario it is giving me error "The page requires session state that is no longer available. Either the session has expired, the client did not send a valid session cookie, or the session state history size is too small. Try increasing the history size or session expiry limit." I am not getting why this error is coming ..Though I already have increased history size ,session expiry limit etc. I tried using cookieless="Useuri",or "true","false" "autodetect" everything but of no use. I included...

how to use state server to manage sessions
How does one use the state server? Can anyone explain the process how the state server is used or give me some links to which I can refer to, which will explain the same? Basically, we have a web farm environment and we need to persist data across the web farm, for which we intend to use the state server Hi, on the server where State Server will be running, on Services just start the "ASP.NET State Service" service. Then on web.config <sessionState> element in web apps change the mode attribute to "StateServer" and check that stateConnectionString attri...

Session state management using web services.
 Hi all ,i am working of a hospital management system which we desided to develop using atlas frame work. we have created the application main to sections using atlas script call back architecture. we are using scripts to pack the user entered data to the web service and in that web service we are entering the data in to the database.all this happening with out a post back of the page.now comes the problem. we are not being able to handle the user session properties. we came to know that we cant access session variables in web services. we are in a trap now. how we can manage the sessio...

Unable to use session state server....requires session state server version 2.0 or above.
So, I have Windows 2003 IIS latest service packs running. Its running .NET 2.0 and .NET 1.1 applications in seperate application pools. Just today I applied the following patch to the server. (The server is not running any 3.0 or 3.5 applications or application pools)  Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86 Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a full cumulative update that contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and includes cumulative servicing upda...

how to manage session state while using webrequest to login at another URL
plz show me how to do this: When you login at a site, it will store your information in Session or Cookie. So when I make a webrequest to get data from the login page, how can I store and manage the session? I don't exactly understand what you're trying to do. Please explain a little better and we'll try to help.Andrew J Durstewitz, MCSD.NET Senior Software Engineer - Internet Applications http://www.moreheadassociates.com http://adurstewitz.blogspot.com/ sorry, my English is not good enought. in ASP.Net, we can use webrequest and some object to query a URL and then display the...

Using SQL Server for Session State Management
Hello, We are implementing session management in a custom database, provided by the following sessionState configuration in web.config: <sessionState mode="SQLServer" stateConnectionString=""    allowCustomSqlDatabase="true"    sqlConnectionString="Data Source=serverName;Database=databaseName;User Id=userName;Password=password"    cookieless="false" timeout="60" /> For reasons to complicated to go into, our company imposes standards on how/where database connection strings get stored. Is there an attribute or method by which I co...

Session.SessionID, if it uses session state, why put it in the URL?
Hi,I have a website which uses Session.SessionID as a key, to lookup information about the user in my database (essentially managing state from page to page). I'm trying to make my site web-farmable and am having issues. It seems I can no longer user Session.SessionID to identify a user because it uses 'Session State' which is a no go on webfarm. I am aware that if the user has cookies turned on, it's all good, but I want users with cookies turned off to also be able to use my site.What confuses me is when cookies are turned off and a user browses my site, the SessionID appea...

How do I manage roles by using interface? Using VB.NET
How do I manage roles by using interface?Using VB.NET I want to do like what peter kellner did. http://livedemos.peterkellner.net/DefaultWithProfile.aspx Hi, I don't think it will be very difficult. Have a look at ASP.Net Roles class you will find methods related to Roles and I am sure it will solve your problem. Hope it will help you out. Thanks and best regards,Faraz Shah KhanMCP, MCAD.Net, MCSD.Net, MCTS-Win/Web, MCPD-WebBlog...

Session Time Out Not expiring session value as using update panel
Hi all, I have a page test.aspx. I am using update panel. At the Page load I am having this code:  Context.Response.Expires = 0 Context.Response.Cache.SetNoStore() Context.Response.AppendHeader("Pragma", "no-cache") Context.Response.AppendHeader("Refresh", Convert.ToString(Session.Timeout * 60) & "; URL=../Main/NewWelcome.aspx")  Now after 60 sec it is going to the NewWelcome.aspx but the session till have value as I clicked a button which was inside the update panel. How to resolve my problem? Thanks for any help. Have a nice day ...

using session states
Hi, Well I am slowly progressing with my project, thanks everyone for helping me, I can explain to you now my next step: I have a form page with loads of fields(around 50) a mix of ddl's, text fields, checkboxes etc. that the user fills in e.g. to list ingredients and prices for a new article. From this I have created a dataset to hold all the info. Then I also have another page that is a datagrid that lists a summary of the users articles using the dataset but only a few of the fields, when the user wants to edit a row in the table they will get redirected back to the form and all the articles information will be filled into the appropriate fields. So my question:Do I have to create session state variables for every single field and then set them in the form page's page_load handler? or is there a easier way, something like creating an object of the table row like: datasetIndex = e.Item.ItemIndexactiveRow = oDsArticle.NewArticle(datasetIndex) and sending it in a session state and then somehow I can access all the fields through this object? Hi there, I'd create a class with all the fields as properties and then store that in session. ie public class ArticlePrivate m_Name as stringpublic property Name as stringGetReturn m_NameSet(Value as string)m_Name=Valueetc..etc...dim MyArticle as new ArticleMyArticle.Name="Fred"session("CurrentArticle")=MyArticleto get it back you could dodim MyArticle as new Article=Ctype(session("CurrentArticle"),Ar...

session states expiring
  When my Session variables expire, I'd like to reset everything and go back to default.aspx. Whats the easiest way to do this? have a look here http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5771721.html Session_End: Fired when a user's session times out, ends, or they leave the application Web site, this means you can no longer referance them, so tring to redirect them will not work.    Liam Mcmullen Hi you can cancel current session by calling HttpSession.Abandon() method. and be careful End event is supported only when the Session mode is ...

Session State
Hi, I pretty new to web development so I'm still easily confused. Right now I'm confused about Session State. One book will say use it at will, while another will say that it should be avoided whenever possible. I'm developing a web app that will typically have between 500-1000 concurrent users and which could really do with using several Session State values. Can anyone offer any advice or opinions on this? How does SessionState performance compare to ViewState?? Cheers robby Well scalability and session state are at odds with each other. I personally try to avoid using sessio...

Session State Management
Which is the better option? Storing Session In Process .. Same process as the Web Server Storing Session State in a Windows Service .... ASP.NET State Storing Session State in Database. I am debating the pro's and con's of the three, basically it is for providing the typical who is online and what portion of the site they are visiting at the moment. I am tempted to use the Windows Service and run in on a secondary box.    AngeloA Hi,I moved your post from the FAQ forum to here as the FAQ forum is for posting answers to commonly asked questions, not asking questions.Ryan...

Session state managment
Can anyone refer me to a session state managment book and security practices if there is anything like that out their. Pelease check these sites. You may find them helpful. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163730.aspx http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2964.html http://www.dotnetjohn.com/articles.aspx?articleid=249 http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=31842&seqNum=3 http://coldfusion.sys-con.com/read/42075.htmPlease Mark As Answer if it helps you!...

Using state management
I want to make an e-shopping site. SCENARIO: the client selects the item, adds in to cart/Basket. the the client browser got closed accidently, the client in the mean time had added six items to the basket.  now the client re opens the browser and the site and sees the basket. I want to save the client selected item for a particular of time.plz help in doing this. as this is done in this link: http://www.ebookmall.com Best regardz.':/ Be Smart ':/ K@MR@N ':/ Hi KamiIftikhar,Such kind of personalized infomation can be stored in Profile then be persisted.For more infomation about Profile, see: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.profile.profilebase.aspxhttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d8b58y5d.aspxRegards For ASp.net 2.0 you can utilize the Profile as it the best candidate for your situation, just creat the Cart object as a property of the Profile, but in case if you are using asp.net 1.1 you have to do it manually - serialize/deserialize form db.Long Live .NETKazi Manzur Rashid (Amit)_________________________Web: http //dotnetshoutout.comBlog: http://weblogs.asp.net/rashidTwitter: http://twitter.com/manzurrashid...

Managing Session State
 Hi, Is there a way to set how long a session variable persists before it is destroyed?  I use forms based authentication on my site, but some events are based on particular session variables, and often times the session variable will be destroyed if the user leaves the session idle for a few minutes.  Can I configure my site so that session variables stick around until the forms authentication session is over?  Or, is it possible to set an event that triggers when the session state expires or when the session variables are destroyed that redirects to the login page?...

Using session states
Aim:to transfer data accross webpages using session statesI configured my web.config as<sessionState     cookieless="UseCookies" cookieName="job_SessionId"     regenerateExpiredSessionId="false"   timeout="20" mode="InProc"     stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424" sqlConnectionString="data source=127.0.0.1;Integrated Security=SSPI"  stateNetworkTimeout="10"  sqlCommandTimeout="30" allowCustomSqlDat...

about session state management
i am new in this field and i want to know , how can i manage login state management in web application . what namespace and attribute and property should i use. please reffer me   Check these links.. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/879kf95c.aspx http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178331.aspx http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/aspnet/doc/security/login.aspxMy Blog"Don't be afraid to be wrong; otherwise you'll never be right." check out previous discussion http://forums.asp.net/p/1131994/1798030.aspx  Haissam Abdul MalakMCAD.NET| Bl...

How to extract session data from MSSQL using "Sql Server" session state mode
I have confronted with some difficulties: I have a task to extract logged user session data from database to collect statistic information from SPPS 2003 (Sharepoint Portal Server) for analyzing purposes.Information I need looks ordinary enough: username, datetimes of user log in and log out, etc..After digging hundreds of articles and docs, I had found out that session object is serialized into database record. It is ok, but I found no decription about where this data can be stored or how can I have access to it.What can I do with it or what should I read for achieving my object? Thanx...

session expiration to Store Session Expiration Time in Database
Hi Friends       i have requirement  for Session expiration. I am using the Form authentication. When user login to application the user  login time maintained in Database in table.When user Session is expired i want to update the record of the user in the database.How to do this.   Thank in Advance    Use session_end event in Global.asaxCheers,Rahul SoniPremier Field Engineer - Microsoft www.dotnetscraps.comPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know ...

How to use net use?
Please can any one tell me how to use the dos command net use properly? I have read the help but can't seem to get it to work. Keep getting sytax error message. Thanks in advance. "Beowulf" <who-knows@no-one.com> wrote in message news:9krutk$puu$1@news.grc.com... > Please can any one tell me how to use the dos command net use properly? > > I have read the help but can't seem to get it to work. Keep getting sytax > error message. what are you trying to do? There are about 50 options to "net use" that do a ton of different thin...

Web resources about - session expires when its in use - asp.net.state-management

Barack Obama speech to joint session of Congress, February 2009 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Obama's first State of the Union Address was the 2010 State of the Union Address . The speech was delivered on the floor of the chamber of the ...

Broncos live: News and analysis from last training session before Round 2 clash against Warriors - The ...
THEY are off to a winning start for the year but a few injury concerns have already crept in for the Broncos ahead of tomorrow night’s first ...

CPPCC members mobbed by media at opening session(1/4)
Ecns.cn is the official English-language website of China News Service (CNS), a state-level news agency sponsored and established by Chinese ...

Donald Trump Names Jeff Sessions Chairman of National Security Advisory Committee
Donald Trump Names Jeff Sessions Chairman of National Security Advisory Committee

Saturday Sessions: Seratones perform "Chandelier"
Four natives of Shreveport, Louisiana, formed the band, Seratones, two years ago behind the powerful gospel-trained vocals of lead singer A.J. ...

Report: Royals scouts escorted out of Lincecum throwing session
On Wednesday, Royals scouts found out the hard way that Tim Lincecum is keeping his training sessions private until his long-awaited exhibition... ...

New Bill From Senators Sessions And Johnson Shows Who Truly Has The Moral Authority Over Immigration
The problem with Flores, besides allowing children to be picked up by strangers, is that it sets up an impossible standard.

SMT x Fire Emblem is called Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, coming west this June
Genei Ibun Roku #FE , the Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem crossover project, will launch in North America and Europe on June 24 as Tokyo Mirage ...

Droid Life Q&A Sessions: Volume 38 Answers
We have gathered up your questions from this past week, and are now ready to share our answers with you. This week, many questions focused on ...