RE: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication'

RE: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication'

There's an asp.net 1.1 vb.net vs 2003 solution under a virtual directory on one of our sites. I can see the solution and project files in under the folder where the IIS virtual directory is pointing.

The solution is working fine.

On the server, If I manually create a new virtual directory, create a new application name for it under the same application pool and copy the the full directory into the new virtual I can browse the solution.

However if I attempt to browse the logon.aspx page I get this error:

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 37:            by Microsoft that offers a single logon and core profile services for member sites.
Line 38:     -->
Line 39:     <authentication mode="Forms" >
Line 40:   <!-- <forms loginUrl="Logon.aspx" name="AuthCookie" timeout="60" path="/auth" ></forms>-->
Line 41:     </authentication>

I've checked IIS settings on the two virtuals and security on both directories and they are identical. I've confirmed the new virtual in IIS is an application. I've checked IIS security. the new directory is parallel with the old directory.. not underneith it. I've done an IIS reset.

I've seen many posts on this topic.. none has helped.

Will I need to recompile and redeploy the solution to the new Virtual?.. I'd like to avoid this.

Looking at the original working solution, it has an AssemblyInfo.vb file a specific GUID.. should this matter?

I see the issue as purely an IIS issue.. but can't figure out why.

Moving past this (at some point soon I hope). If this web server only has extensions for ASP.NET 1.1, any reason a site cannot run both 1.1 and 2.0? Any way to compile this code using VS.NET 2005 and deploy into this server if 2.0 is not available?

Thanks.

0
jcnet

     This is the problem with u r virtual directory and directory name and path of the project that u r trying to load from the soluiton file. Please check the solution file and find out the correct website name and path.

Regards

According to my calculations the problem doesn't exist.
0
friendster
10/29/2008 6:10:15 AM

Do I even need the solution or project files? I first tried to fix it, but it did not work.. I then removed all Visual studio related file (as a test) but it's still failing.

0
jcnet
10/29/2008 3:38:05 PM

I think by converting your virtual folder to an application in IIS, you can resolve this error.

 http://www.iisworks.com/faq/kb.asp?a=show&ID=164

 - Start "Internet Information Services" (Start - Settings - Control Panel - Administrative Tools)

- Navigate to the MyApp virtual directory and select it

- Rightclick it and select "Properties"

- Press the "Create" button and accept the default name

- Press OK - Make sure that Execute Permissions are set to "Scripts only"

0
reghupm
10/30/2008 5:47:33 PM

Thanks reghupm, you helped me too Cool
SMc

"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison
0
smcmiata

VS 2008 error 'It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.
 I am using VS 2008 on Windows XP. I downloaded the Ajax Control Toolkit. I am working on Liberty's Programming ASP.NET 3.5 AjaxDemo.aspx. When I hit F5 I get the following error message: "Error    1    It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS."  I do not have IIS on this machine. I checked out   http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh/archive/2005/04/25/...

It's is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' ...
Hello Dear All, I'm just making my first steps in programming, and i'm really interesting in asp.net. I downloaded the Employee Info Starter Kit in order to learn some features, but unfortunatly i'm not able to run the application. This is the error i'm getting : It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. F:\Employee Info\employee-info-web-starter-kit\Web.config I thought i had to configure IIS in machi...

Re: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.
HiI have recently moved an asp.net application onto a web server.However I am getting the above error message.How would I go about resolving this?thanks in advancefeel free to ask for more detailscheers     You will be assigning some values in your web.config file that your webhost do not allow changes to - could you post your web.config for us? Please mark posts as the answer if I was helpful. Thanks!Visit my blog...

Error Message :It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' ........
" It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS."Could anyone plz help.....Why this error is occuring look at this. http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh/archive/2005/04/25/37609.aspx in overview any one of the below 2 reasons.  1. You must define that application as virtual directory. you can do this by giving the directory websharing by rightclick the direcotyr-> properties->websharing-> share t...

Error 102 It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.
 Hi there, i'm greatful if nayone can help me with it. i'm stuck with this error, trying to get to working but to no avail. Error    102    It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.   ...\Web.config    389     i read lots of the posts but the solutions offered there did not resolve my problem. here is what i've tried...

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configure
Dear All, I am a newbie and this is my first time trying to run asp.net :) I was trying to deploy the wrox asp.net sample code and this is what I got when I tried to run it. I created a virtual directory called "wrox". I have changed the username in the machine.config <processModel> to: userName="SYSTEM" password="AutoGenerate" I thought it was supposed to run because it is WROX OFFICIAL SAMPLE CODE. Server Error in '/wrox' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Configur...

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configure
Hello. I got this error on my brinkster hosting.   I have a virtual directory and on the virtual directory is a fodler called webroot. and on this there are 7 subdirectorys according to each one of my domains.  As the error says. I cant create a virtual directory because its not a dedicated server.     Server Error in '/' Application. Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. ...

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' ...
Hello everyone,   I would like to publish my Personal starter kit  on a subdomain folder like: (www.mysite.com/clubsite/) rather than having all the files uploaded to the root directory. but it did not work I did try locally  to remove  all the files and folders  from the root to a sub directory folder but it did not work either : The error is:   It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an applicatio...

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' ...
You may receive the error "It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level" in asp.net. This Article explains the resolution for the same. Thanks. regards,Harishhttp://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh...

...error to use a section registered as AllowDefinition='MachineToApplication'
It is an error to use a section registered as AllowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. The error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. Well I created a new web site application in VS2005 using the 'File System' option. The error message I get is when using the VS2005 IIS to test the page code. So I should not need to set up any IIS stuff when using the VS2005 debugger. I simply followed the steps in the microsoft tutorial: Working with Data in ASP.NET 2.0 :: Creating a Data Access Layerhttp://www.asp.net/learn/dataacces...

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication'
I have uploaded my site. It is working fine on my local server on my PC. But when I upload on remote server I am shown following error. Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application...

Problem with Using Forms Authentication to Secure Subdirectory
Ok first let me say that this is a typical rented server off DiscountASP.net so I dont have direct IIS manager access. My app is pretty simple. I have the root / and a /Admin subfolder that I will allow the client to edit data on the customer interface. Mostly simple price listings. I want to restrict access to the /Admin folder obviously but leave the rest of the site wide open. I'm getting the following error. I only have one web.config file in the root. and the Admin subfolder is just a simple subfolder I created myself. Do I have to create the ADmin folder as its own application? I w...

I added this to my web.config as specified in the article http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag2/html/paght000008.asp <authentication mode="Windows"/> I get this error when I try loading my aspx page: "It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS." I checked my IIS virtual directory and it has a name in for the application name in it's properties so I don't get why I still have this err...

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application i
Hi i am getting this error, i am using visual studio 2005 and i have IIS 6, what do i need to do to rectify this problem, thank you. Can i also add that this error just came out of the blue, because the last time i started up the project it worked fine....

Web resources about - RE: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' - asp.net.state-management