In Proc fails with ASP.Net 2.0 + VB.Net ...works fine with C#.Net ( MS HELP ME)

Hi,

I have created a web application in ASP.Net 2.0 using VB as preferred language. I am using

Session Mode as "InProc"

The default.aspx source code is below

<%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="Default.aspx.vb" Inherits="_Default" %>

<head runat="server">
    <title>Untitled Page</title>
</head>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
    <asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" Text="Button" />
        <asp:Button ID="Button2" runat="server" Text="Button" />
        <asp:Button ID="Button3" runat="server" Text="Button" />
        <asp:Button ID="Button4" runat="server" Text="Button" /></div>

    </form>

The 4 buttons on the page have following functionality :-

Button1 - stores the value from textbox1 into session variable

 Protected Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        Session("AAA") = Me.TextBox1.Text
    End Sub

Button 2- retrieves the values from the session into TextBox2

    Protected Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
        Me.TextBox2.Text = Session("AAA")
    End Sub

Button 3- Create a TMP folder under the webapplication configured as a virtual directory.

    Protected Sub Button3_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button3.Click
        Dim Dir As New System.IO.DirectoryInfo("C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\SessionTest1\TMP")
        Dir.Create()

   End Sub

Button 4 - Delete folder.

    Protected Sub Button4_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button4.Click
        Dim Dir As New System.IO.DirectoryInfo("C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\SessionTest1\TMP")
        Dir.Delete()
    End Sub

Once the application is configured as virtual directory, make the application run with ASP.Net 2.0.50727 runtime.

Once the basic setup is done....follow the below to reproduce.

1. Browse to the default.aspx. Enter value in textbox1. Press button1. This stores the session.

2. Press Button2. This will retrieve the value in textbox2. Then, delete the value in textbox2 using backspace key.

3. Press button3 . This will create a TMP folder under SessionTest1 directory.

4. Press button 4- this will delete the folder just created in step3

5. Press button 2 - Value is not retrieved from session variable.

I don't know as to why aspnet_wp is getting recycled. And strangely this works in C#.Net with ASP.Net 2.0

Any help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Product team ppl help.!!!!!!!!!!!

0
whidbey_boy

Great way to post a question!

The appdomain recycle is what is causing the session loss when you delete a subdirectory. The recycle is done to avoid serving stale content. Creating and deleting subfolders in a web app will cause it to recycle… so loss of session would be expected in that case.  To workaround this issue you could use out of process session. I am still not sure why it works in case of C# unless the folder is not getting deleted.

Review this blog which talks about this issue in detail. http://blogs.msdn.com/toddca/archive/2005/12/01/499144.aspx

0
HotFixer

Thanks for the posting. I does help in way. But I have cross-checked and the behaviour is not same in C#.Net.

And moreover, when I tried with the same application today, the value is retrieved. Because, I had already repro'd earlier that value is lost....so I re-created another application once again configured as a virtual directory and it reproduces.

Atleast, my point is that...the behaviour should be same across different languages and at different time....any thoughts

thanks I Advance

0
whidbey_boy

Type.GetType does not work in VB.NET but works in C#. VB.NET gurus Please help
Friends,   I am an experienced C# programmer who is working on a VB.NET project now. I am writing different methods covering the following functionalities 1) Take a datareader as input and return an arraylist of class object2) Take an xmlnode (received from a webservice) as input and return an arraylist of class object. The methods are generic methods which take datareader/xmlnode as first parameter and classname (string) as the second parameter. This way it will work trivially. The schema of class object matches with the input (datareader or xmlnode)In C# I used to do th...

vb.net vs c#.net vs j#.net

C#.NET or VB.NET

vb .net or c# .net

VB.Net To C#.Net

what is new in vb net for Net 2.0 ?
where can I find an article with all what is new in vb net for Net 2.0 ? thank youangiras ???? http://whidbey.msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vbcn/html/d7e97396-7f42-4873-a81c-4ebcc4b6ca02.aspThanks,Teemu KeiskiFinland, EU...

Can a page written in VB.Net 1.1 work with .Net 2.0 dlls?
Hi, Previously the Vb .Net page was working fine with GAC dll written .Net 1.1 . But the GAC dlls have been upgraded to 2.0 version and the page is thorowing error :"BC30002: Type 'CompanyUser' is not defined", where 'CompanyUser'is the class of the GAC dll. Can u help on this so that this page can be run without converting it to .Net 2.0? Thanks, SonaliThanks,Sonali  I think that you can set in IIS your page to run under 2.0. You do not have to upgrade site.__Please mark post as answer if it helps, if not come back and ask again! Hi, The only thin...

Net:Net:Net::LDAP::FAQ

Web resources about - In Proc fails with ASP.Net 2.0 + VB.Net ...works fine with C#.Net ( MS HELP ME) - asp.net.state-management

Fianna Fáil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Irish republican political party in Ireland , founded on 23 March 1926. Fianna Fáil's name is traditionally translated into English as Soldiers ...

Study: Brands On Facebook Fail To Take Advantage Of Consumers’ Attraction To Promotions
Retailers ’ Facebook page administrators may want to mix in more promotions and prepare to work some off-hours during the upcoming holiday season, ...

4th XMRV Study Fails to Confirm Association with CFS - Facebook
The CFIDS Association of America hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel 4th XMRV Study Fails to Confirm Association with CFS geschrieben. Du kannst den ...

8 Ways Restaurants Can Use Facebook Pages (and Not Fail Like Burger King)
Burger King’s marketers have been brilliant, and that includes what they’ve done on Facebook — who can forget the Whopper Sacrifice application, ...

Fail Text! (@Failtext) on Twitter

Most Wearable Devices Will Fail and the Name of the Category Will Change From Wearables to Sense-ables ...
Wearables are anything but sensible, from first hand observation they are somewhat silly, as they are trying to solve a problem that can be solved ...

Really Bad Parking Fail In Malaysia! - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
... the driver. Plus he's parking over a big X and next to a fire hydrant (which is not in this photo). Yeah, this is one of the best parking fails ...

Bangkok half-marathon’s epic fail
YOU know that feeling when it’s like you’ve been running far longer than your timer suggests?

Top 5 activewear fails
Hands up who's into this activewear thing? That would be 99.9 per cent of us then.

Qantas 737 “tailstrike” was caused by iPad data entry fail
On August 1 last year, a Boeing 737-838 (VH-VZR) operated by Qantas performed a "tailstrike" while taking off from Sydney airport. Today, the ...