.NET objects stored in Session

This may seem like a simple question but I'm wondering if there are any difficulties in storing objects like datasets, buz objects, etc, in session.  I remember in asp 3 this was a big no-no.  Also, if I do store a buz object in session, and that object has holds references to data objects (connections, adapters, etc) could that cause problems with too many connections to the database.  I ask because occasionally I receive an error stating the max connection pool has been reached.

Ok, so that was 2 questions.
This forums has almost always helped me in the past. Thanks guys (and gals.)
0
fregas

It is usually not a very good practice to hold huge chunk of data in state. Having said that, there might be certain reasons where a re - query to a database would be more costlier than saving them in  a stateful mode.

you have to weigh your options,
1) For a dataset, check if you can store the XML of the dataset instead of the whole dataset object. This way while loading and unloading from the session object you are accessing only an xml fragment ( textual). This is less costlier than storing the dataset.
2) the same thing with biz objects. If you can serialize them then do that. OR add the iSerializable interface to you business object and serialize it to store in the session.
A good Author is one who makes familiar things new and new things familiar.

---- Dr. SJ
0
Ganbhu
8/4/2003 8:17:53 PM
Actually, i've been storing buz objects in session w/o serializing and that seemed to work, although whether this is "best practices" is debateable.
0
fregas

Net:Net:Net::LDAP::FAQ

Replace the .NET 1.1 Behavior-Object with the .NET 2.0 Tag-Object , How to?
Hello, to set the Style - Attribute of my custom controls tag in source view from within its designer i use now the following code:Behavior.SetStyleAttribute("Left", false, val, true);This works fine but my visual studio 2005 / asp.net 2.0 says that the Behavior object is obsolete. The recommended alternative is the Tag object. But when i use it to set the Style attribute it doesn't work . I can set all other attributes or even create new ones using this Tag object but it does'nt work for the style attribute at all. What am i doing wrong? If I can't set the style attribute in my custom contr...

can you tell me where to download the open code of the .net pet stores and .net book stores
Hello,I have heard that the .net pet store and .net book stores are very usefull for one to learn asp.net .So I hope that someone can give me the url address to downloal them.    Thank you very much. Enterprise code samples - those and more.Leon LangleybenMCSD, ASP.NET MVPBlog Thank you very much!                            ...

Deploying .Net application with datawindow .Net objects
Hi I=92ve been testing datawindow .net for our company by building a small working application using the Datawindow .Net tutorial. It works great (both from the VS interface and the compiled solution .exe) and was easy to create. My next test is to try and deploy this application to another machine, which has the .Net (1.1) environment but no Powerbuilder or Visual Studio. I built my solution and placed these files, all in one folder, on this other machine: datawindow.dll datawindow.xml DataWindowInterop.dll MSVCP71.DLL MSVCR71.DLL PBDATA100.dll PBDWN100.DLL PBO10100.D...

Net Farmers net
Has anyone been able to access any of the tests at http://suicide.netfarmers.net ? I can get the default page but none of the tests appear to be operating over the last several weeks. -- CK I just tested and works as usual!!!Every session TCP_error,because my Shields_guard is intact<<G>> -- Regard: Joh@nnes´┐Ż 1216771 Ont.Inc. "Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error" "CK" <ckphalon@lascenltd.com> wrote in message news:9i45gg$1qa9$1@news.grc.com... : Has anyone been able to access any of the tests at : http://suicide...

Storing objects in Session State
I'm trying to understand the best way to retain user information throughout a user's session. I have read that "...almost any object can be stored to session state..." and thought of storing a class object in a session. The class object will contain just a few members; 1) user's employee id, 2) user's email address, and 3) the current contract a user is working with I have an Analyst class with the aforementioned data members, which is instantiated and intialized with the user's id and email when they log onto the site (these are retrieved from a login form). The user then s...

State Management; .Net Profiler
Here is the situation with the customized profiler. I got a profiler class called SSOProfileProvider inheriting from ProfileProvider. I've implemented the Initilization, GetPropertyValues and SetPropertyValues. The Get... and Set.. are making a call to the database to store profile into the database. This class has been stored in the separate DLL called "Security.DLL" and there is a web site that is using this dll. The web.Config for this website is as follow:<profile enabled="true" inherits="AppProfileBase" defaultProvider="SSO" automat...

net send in .net

Web resources about - .NET objects stored in Session - asp.net.state-management

Smart Personal Objects Technology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Smart Personal Object Technology (SPOT) was developed by Microsoft to personalize household electronics and other everyday devices, through "smart" ...

Objects that helped shape Australians of the Year on display at National Museum of Australia
... a marker pen, binoculars, a cricket bat, a family photograph, a skin "cassette" and a painting by a death-row prisoner. These are objects ... ...

Divers pull objects from lake in San Bernardino investigation - Videos - CBS News
In a murky lake, divers looking for clues pulled what looked like a CD or DVD out of the water. The lake is less than three miles from the Inland ...

Pluto Probe Spies Object Lurking in the Kuiper Belt
Although Pluto is a distant memory to NASA's New Horizons mission, which flew past the dwarf planet in July, it doesn't mean its voyage of discovery ...

This is your closest look yet at a Kuiper Belt object
... you see in the picture above may not seem like much at first glance, but it's a pretty big deal it's humanity's closest-ever look at an object ...

IBM Launches Object Storage on Bluemix
IBM Object Storage, a new service on Bluemix, enables developers to simply and securely store and access growing volumes of unstructured data. ...

MIT's Amazing New App Lets You Program Any Object
... AR app that makes programming your smart home as easy as connecting the dots. The end goal of the Internet of Things is to make every object ...

Astronomers Find New Object, Possible Super-Earth In Our Solar System
A potential super-Earth could lurk on the outer edge of our solar system.

San Bernardino divers reportedly pull object from water in evidence search
San Bernardino divers reportedly pull object from water in evidence search