Reporting services: Querying a web service with report parameters (xml data extension)

 Hi all,

I am using SQL Server Reporting Services 2005 and am attempting to query a web service that I have. If I query a webservice that doesn't take in any parameters, say service(), then I am able to get a flatten dataset.

 If I try with a web service that requires parameters, say service(string id, string procedure), I tried to pass in report parameters. However, on the web service side the report parameters do not exist and if I inspect the parameters, they are null.

 I added report parameters using the Data and Layout tabs via a Report Server Project.

 Does anyone know what would be wrong? How does one pass in parameters from the report to the web service?

Thanks.

0
krayek

krayek:

 Hi all,

I am using SQL Server Reporting Services 2005 and am attempting to query a web service that I have. If I query a webservice that doesn't take in any parameters, say service(), then I am able to get a flatten dataset.

 If I try with a web service that requires parameters, say service(string id, string procedure), I tried to pass in report parameters. However, on the web service side the report parameters do not exist and if I inspect the parameters, they are null.

 I added report parameters using the Data and Layout tabs via a Report Server Project.

 Does anyone know what would be wrong? How does one pass in parameters from the report to the web service?

Thanks.

Your question is NOT clear. If you have a own web services and need to read parameters from report then use Reporting Services web service in your web services.

Alexei Cioina.

http://www.californiadreamhomesandland.com

Alexei Cioina
0
cioina
6/30/2008 1:39:05 PM

 Hi Alexei,

Sorry mate if the question is not clear. What I was trying to get at was I have my own web service that returns a dataset. SQL Server Reporting Services 2005 allows for querying against the web service and then use the returned xml to populate and create a report. Basically, I am trying to get reporting services to use xml and web service as a data source, as detailed in this article:

My webservice requires 2 parameters, service(string id, string procedures). The problem is that I can't seem to pass parameter values into the webservice. If I create report parameters in SQL Server Reporting Services and run the report, the parameters are not passed into the web service. The id and procedures variables will be null regardless of what I enter for the report parameters.

In the msdn article, it says one can pass the report parameters into the web service, though I can't seem to do it.

 Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

.

0
krayek
6/30/2008 2:18:31 PM

I've just finished to read http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa964129.aspx

You call your web services in a report by giving a URL to your web services.

You need to pass value from report parameters to your web services.

I never used this method. Try to set default values for parameters in report.

Alexei Cioina
0
cioina

I have the same problem, did you already have a solution ?

Thanks,

Ann

0
AnnW
8/8/2008 2:16:37 PM

 Make sure to add a namespace to your webservice.

 [WebService(Namespace = "http://servername/example")]
    [WebServiceBinding(ConformsTo = WsiProfiles.BasicProfile1_1)]
    [ToolboxItem(false)]
    public class Example: System.Web.Services.WebService

 something like above.

I resolved this issue by above method.

0
mlakmal

How to add barcode images in Reporting Services 2000 (SSRS 2000) with VS.NET Report Server Projects
Due to its flexible design, Neodynamic Barcode Professional for Reporting Services allows you to show barcode images in Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services reports. You can use all Barcode Symbologies Linear & 2D built-in Barcode Professional.In this Step By Step Guide you'll learn how to create a Reporting Services report which shows barcode images into it using Barcode Professional and Visual Studio .NET 2003. In this sample we'll create a Reporting Services report to create fictitious access cards for Northwind's employees getting them from Microsoft's Northwind database samp...

Report Services 2005
 I've created a SSRS graph report and would like to display it thru my web application via the web services. I've managed to get the report to write to a pdf file but can't seem to get it to display directly in the browser. Please see my code below. Any help will be much appreciated! Also if anyone knows of any 2005 examples of how to render a report in a .net web application (without using the report viewer control) that would be great.   Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load      &n...

reporting services web services
    We are using SQL Server Reporting Services to generate reports. Now the problem is we have to deploy the .rdl files into report server from .NET.The Report Server is installed in other computer. In my system only reporting services client components are installed, server components are not installed. How can i add the "reportingservices.asmx" file into web references of my project.   You can add the reportingservices.asmx file to your project using a webservice, right click your references folder in the project explorer, choose add web reference, and add http://y...

Reporting service web service?
 Hi,I read about reporting service web service :http://www.15seconds.com/issue/041110.htmI would like to know what is the benefit of using a webservice over a normal reporting service(as in http://www.odetocode.com/Articles/128.aspx)? Regards,ap.  Hi,  The Web service uses Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) over HTTP and acts as a communications interface between client programs and the report server. The Web service and its methods expose the functionality of the report server and allow you to create custom tools for any part of the report life cycle, from manageme...

Error with Dot Net Optimisation Service on Reporting Services Query Designers
I am in the process of commisioning a 32-bit Windows Server 2003 running SQL Server Standard 2005 with Sp2, Windows Sharepoint Services 3.0 and Team Foundation Server 2008.  The server runs as a guest under VMWare on a 64-bit host. I have noticed a number of 1101 Errors in the Application Event Logs. A typical error text is: .NET Runtime Optimization Service (clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32) - Failed to compile: Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91 . Error code = 0x80070002 I have noted the following other me...

Any sample code calling Sql Server Reporting Services (SSRS) Web-service?
I've never used Web-service calls using Delphi and wondered if ANYONE has any sample code out there that shows how to interface with Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) Web-service? I did a WSDL import of the local service on our servers here into my Delphi app, but now I'm stumped as to how i interface with the service. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? > {quote:title=James Grace wrote:}{quote} > I've never used Web-service calls using Delphi and wondered if ANYONE has any sample code out there that shows how to interface with Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services ...

Can a .net web service return a crystal report .rpt object to use as a report source?
I would like to have a .net web service return an .rpt object to use as a report source for the crystal reports viewer on a thick client (windows .net form). Is this possible? The documentation -- the lack of it, actually -- on this subject seems to indicate no, but I'm not that familiar with the standard deployment schemes. I don't want to create the reports as web services, because they will be created on the fly by users without vs.net, and I'm also restricted by security concerns from putting new software (e.g., report server, merge modules, et al.) on the server that hosts the ....

How to design SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services Reports in VS.NET 2005 web applications
Hi,   Can we design SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services Reports in VS.NET 2005 web applications. If so how they can be designed. Plz help me if any one know the solution. Thanx in advance, Vidya     Are you asking if you can use VS.Net 2005 to design reports, yes, both client and server reports are built using VS.Net. If you are asking if you can use a web application to build a report, well yes you could, but you would have you design it.  All sql server reports are is an xml file, so if you can build a front end that will generate the xml in the proper ...

Accessing Reporting Service through Web Service
 I have an ASP.NET application and would like to list all available reports on the report server running MSSQL 2005 Reporting Services.  The ASP.NET application uses Integrated Windows Security.  I've add a web reference to the reporting service and it works under IE7.  However, when Firefox is used, I got a HTTP 401 response. 1 Dim rService As ReportingService = New ReportingService() 2 rService.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials 3 Dim catalogItems As CatalogItem() = rService.ListChildren("/BCPSEA", True) How can I pass ...

Web Service accessing more Reporting Services
 Hello everybody, I'm using the Web Service functionality to integrate the Reporting Services in an ASP.NET 2 web application. It worked all fine until I had the issue that I have to access more than just one Reporting Server. I've reconfigured my test environment that one instance is running on http://localhost:80/ReportServer and the other one on http://localhost:81/ReportServer. The reports are request by the following function:   Dim rs As New ReportExecutionServicers.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentialsDim result As Byte() = NothingDim rep...

Reporting Services Calling Web Service
Can someone point me to a good article on consuming/using a web service with reporting services?Matt BrownMetalReview.com - Metal music community and reviewsHaulix - Easy promotional media distribution for the music industry mattb Here ae a couple http://www.15seconds.com/issue/041110.htm This link has a lab where one of the labs is about accessing reportas programmatically http://www.microsoft.com/learning/syllabi/en-us/2030afinal.mspx Check out also the Reporting Services Books Online if yuou have it installed        thx...Matt BrownMetalReview.com...

using reporting services web service
I would like to know how to create a new report by using the web service. I saw the list of the methods, but I still don't understand what is important to start creating. There is no example that shows exactly how to write it. Thanks alot ....

My reporting services data set SQL Query is not prompting me for the input parameter
 I have a reporting services report. Associated with that report is a data set, and associated with the data set is the SQL query below. Now if I go into the Reporting Services Business Development Studio and open up my project there are three tabs displayed "Data","Layout","Preview". If I select the "Data Tab" I can view my query below. The problem is that when I run the query it does not prompt me for the value that I want to be passed into the report? In my case "inputID" Why am I not being prompted to enter in this input parameter? ...

Web resources about - Reporting services: Querying a web service with report parameters (xml data extension) - asp.net.ssrs

Google Webmaster Tools Parameter Handling - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Alternatives to boolean parameters