Why I cannot create/edit tables in VS.Net Server explorer for SQL Server 2000 Developer local database?

I found that when I install MSDE, then I can create/edit database objects for MSDE database in Visual Studio 2003 Server Explorer, but when I try to create/edit database objects under the default database created by the SQL Server 2000 installation, I cannot do these tasks as no option for these tasks appear when I right-click on the database object in Server Explorer.  Anyone knows why this is happening?
sun21170
0
sun21170

I reproed your issue. And I found in MSDN it is said the Server Explorer can:

-Open and view Server Explorer
-Add a data connection
-Add a server
-Drag a connection from Server Explorer to your form

Seems it can not create/edit database objects @_@

Microsoft® Visual Studio® Server Explorer is the server management console for Visual Studio .NET 2003. Use Server Explorer to open data connections and to log on to servers and explore their databases and system services.

FYI, How to use the Visual Studio .NET or Visual Studio 2005 Server Explorer:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316649#E02B0ABAAA

Welcome to my SQL/ASPNET forum for Chinese
http://51up.org/bbs/forumdisplay.php?fid=38
0
Iori_Jay
4/13/2006 7:39:19 AM

I can create/edit stored prodcedures, tables, views and functions using server explorer, provided the SQL Server database is a MSDE database. So it's wrong to say that one cannot edit objects. The trick is how to do what is possible in MSDE with SQL Server developer edition.

sun21170
0
sun21170
4/14/2006 2:47:39 PM
Iori_Jay:

I reproed your issue. And I found in MSDN it is said the Server Explorer can:

-Open and view Server Explorer
-Add a data connection
-Add a server
-Drag a connection from Server Explorer to your form

Seems it can not create/edit database objects @_@

Microsoft® Visual Studio® Server Explorer is the server management console for Visual Studio .NET 2003. Use Server Explorer to open data connections and to log on to servers and explore their databases and system services.

FYI, How to use the Visual Studio .NET or Visual Studio 2005 Server Explorer:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316649#E02B0ABAAA

unfortunately, I do not have a solution to this problem but I would like to add that I as well can edit database objects in Server Explorer.   I used it all the time to add/remove fields from tables ( on a development box of course ), I can even create ERDs, Triggers and Views like in Enterprise Manager.

0
Aureus99

SQL Server 2000 Developer vs SQL Server 2000 Standard
I have installed the SQL Server 2000 developer that came with Office XP Developer. I now have a copy of SQL Server 2000 Standard. What will happen if I try to install the standard version? Will I loss any of my current database logins or settings, etc...? Thank you for any help,Thank youJackxxx Upgrading your version of SQL Server 2000 should not result in the loss of any information that you already have set up. I believe you can/should choose "Upgrade, remove, or add components to an existing instance of SQL Server" when you go to install SQL Server 2000 Standard. TerriT...

Microsoft SQL Server Developer Edition vs Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition
I have just installed sql server 2005 but, now I have two types of server name: Microsoft SQL Server Developer EditionMicrosoft SQL Server Express Edition Which one should I use? Does it matter??thanks..  Hello, Check SQL Server 2005 Features Comparison: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/features/compare-features.mspx RegardsWindows Hosting ASP.NET | Top ASP.NET Hosts | Dedicated Windows Hosting...

How to create a copy of SQL Server 2000 database in SQL Server 2005 Express?
I have a database called 'DB1' in SQL Server 2000. I want to create the same database in SQL Server 2005 Express including the original data in tables. How would I do that? I cannot find any option to do this upgrade in SQL Server Management Studio.sun21170 Check out this:How to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2005 with the Copy Database Wizard Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you! The article you mentioned does not apply to the 2005 Express Edition. The Management Studio for the Express Edition contains no Copy database opti...

Installation of SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 Developer Editions on the same PC
I currently have SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition installed on my home PC. Is it safe (or even advisable) to also install SQL Server Developer Edition 2000 on the same PC? I have two clients, one using SQL Server 2000 and another one on 2005 so I need to do testing on both. Bill I have both on my laptop, but installed them in the opposite order you are wanting to do. Don't know if there would be issues doing 2005 first and then 2000. -- TheSQLGuru President Indicium Resources, Inc. "Bill Murphy" <wmdmurphy@houston.rr.com> wrote in message ...

How to create a data diagram in SQL Server 2005 Management Studio for a SQL Server 2000 database
Hello: I have an old database created in SQL Server 2000, now I can open, access it in SQL Server 2005 Management Studio, but I can't create Data Diagrams. Please advise on how to make it work.... Thank you Expand the database folder in Object Explorer and the first folder under the databases is the "Database Diagrams". Right click -> New database diagram.***********************Dinakar NethiLife is short. Enjoy it.*********************** Thank you for replying :)  but that only works for database created in SQL Server 2005, my database is created in SQL Server ...

SQL Server Database File vs SQL Server Database -VWD Express
VWD Express 2008, SQL Server Express 2005. I have been using SQL Server Express with ASP and VB for some years - I just create a DB in Management Studio Express, have SQL Server set to 'SQL Server and Windows authentication', and use a connection string with 'sa' and a password (I never have managed to get it working with 'integrated security', but that is probably irrelevant to this post). So I have a list of DB's attached to SQL Server that I can see, attach, detach etc in MSE. I am getting started with .NET. Working through a VWD Express book tutori...

Bulk Copy between remote SQL Server 2000 and local SQL Server 2000
How to perform Bulk Copy of a table from a Remote SQL Server 2000 to Local SQL Server 2000?I need to do this programmatically. This will be performed on regular basis. I can't use DTS Import/Export Wizard. Need the steps of Bulk Insertion.Thanks in advance. With Regards,Prodipta Mondal.Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Need the steps of Bulk Insertion.  Connect to the remote SQL Server. Load a DataTable or DataReader Connect to the local Server Call the SQLBulkCopy,WriteTo...

SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
Hi,Can SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition installed in a same machine. Will there be any conflict?Regards,Swami Sure they can exists on the same machine. Generally speaking there won't be conflict. The only conflict I have encountered came with SQL2000 named instance: after install SQL2005, the anonymous service on UPD 1434 port (used by SQL2000 to find out named instance) may fail to start, if the "SQL Server Brower" service is not started; so connection may fail to find out SQL2000 named instance. In this case you can just start the "SQL Server Brower" ser...

Web resources about - Why I cannot create/edit tables in VS.Net Server explorer for SQL Server 2000 Developer local database? - asp.net.sql-datasource

Dungeons and developers
Have you ever wanted to learn web development or just refine your webdev skills? Dungeons and Developers gives your quest for knowledge a role ...

Video game developer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A video game developer is a software developer (a business or an individual) that creates video games . A developer may specialize in a certain ...

Melbourne Anarchist Club in battle with property developers
The Melbourne Anarchist Club &ndash; home to a group of social outliers who reject &quot;hierarchical power structures&quot; and believe profit ...

Maroubra home sells at auction to a developer for $2.36 million - DailyTelegraph Search Search
A MAROUBRA house sold for $2.36 million under the hammer, shattering the reserve price by $160,000.

Maroubra home sells at auction to a developer for $2.36 million
A MAROUBRA house sold for $2.36 million under the hammer, shattering the reserve price by $160,000.

Google launches Unity plugin to help developers make Chromecast-compatible games
Google has today launched the Google Cast Remote Display plugin for Unity, in hopes that developers will now be able to more easily bring their ...

Sketch joins parade of developers abandoning Mac App Store in favor of direct sales
The developers of the UI design tool Sketch have announced their decision to exit the Mac App Store, following in the footsteps of many other ...

Apple and app developer Supercell join forces for a World AIDS Day campaign
With World AIDS Day scheduled for tomorrow, Dec. 1, Apple and app developer Supercell have joined forces for a great new campaign. An in-app ...

Application developers struggle to adapt to changing licensing models
Application producers are aware of rapid change impacting their ability to make money from their software products, but they're not adopting ...

Pros and developers alike can benefit from these extended Cyber Monday deals
With all the hubbub around the post-Thanksgiving shopping, it’s nice when there’s a huge discount on something that is actually useful. These ...