Visual Studio 2008 SP1 - SQL Server 2005 Express Required, but I want to use SQL 2008 Express

I have the developer version of SQL 2005 & SQL Server Express 2008 installed on my laptop and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 installed.

I'm learning ASP.Net MVC and want to work with a SQL Server Express 2008, but I can't connect to SQL Server Express 2008.

I first tried to ADD a SQL Server Database by adding a SQL Server Database to app_data and received the error "Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.

Then I attempted to ADD the Membership.MDF file (created with SQL Mgmt Studio) into my app_data folder.  It added fine and is visible from VS, but when I click on the database I get the same error "SQL Server Express 2005 is required".

Any ideas to make this work are much appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

Tom Ryan
0
tomqryan

Which did you install first?  Your SQL 2005 or 2008?  Unfortunately, I am not sure what a MVC app is.  Sorry.Embarrassed  I have only worked with SQL Server along with Visual Web Developper, but I can try to help with MVC.

Let me know which you installed first.  My guess is the 2005?

Thanks!

Joe

0
JoeBlow9878
1/5/2009 9:48:35 PM

I installed SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition first.  MVC (Model View Controller) design pattern framework is being developed by Microsoft.  It's currently in Beta.  More info @ http://www.asp.net/mvc

Tom Ryan
0
tomqryan
1/5/2009 10:35:14 PM

tomqryan:

I installed SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition first.

That's what I figured.  Are you still using the SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition?  If not, what I would recommend is uninstalling it and the 2008 express, and just clean install the 2008, making sure you use it as a default instance during setup.

If not, hmm...  how used to SQL Server are you?  If you have enough experience, then I am not much help.  I still have problems in this area frequently enough.  You could do uninstall both and then add the SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition afterwards.  (So that the 2008 is the default).  This will affect the program(s) that you use the 2005 with, though, so it would mean re-configuring that/those programs to use the 2005.

If anybody else has suggestions, feel free to drop them in!  I'll do my best to keep helping, though.

Joe

0
JoeBlow9878
1/5/2009 11:52:24 PM

Thanks Joe.  I will do the uninstall/reinstall.

Tom Ryan
0
tomqryan
1/6/2009 12:15:57 AM

OK. Let me know if you run into problems.

Glad to be of any assistance!

Joe

0
JoeBlow9878
1/6/2009 12:19:23 AM

I uninstalled, SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008 Express, and SQL Server Compact Edition.  Then reinstalled SQL Server 2008 Express.  It now works!  Thanks for the advice.

Tom Ryan
0
tomqryan
1/6/2009 5:11:46 PM

Glad to be of assistance!Big Smile

Joe

0
JoeBlow9878

Visual Studion Express 2008 SP1, Visual Web Developer Express 2008 and Web Application Project Template
Hi All, I installed Visual Web Developer Express 2008 sp1 on my two machines, one running Vista & other running XP. On the XP machine, when I open VWD Express 2008 I get an option to use Web Application project template as a new project option but on my Vista machine I only get an option to use Web site model template option. My question is, is the sp1 incompatible with vista? Any help or explanation would be appreciated   Thanks SP1 is compatible with vista.  I would try devenv.exe /installvstemplates to see if you could force vwd to see the other project types otherwise ...

How to use Visual Web Developper 2008 Express Edition with Visual C# 2008 Express Edition for n-tier development
Can these products be bundled when working in a n-tier project? What are the best practise methods? Or is moving to Visual Studio 2008 Standard Editon the solution? In most cases you will find all you need is in VWD 2008, If you install SP1 then you can compile class libraries now as well, so less need for c#2008. Also you might find this good to read http://imar.spaanjaars.com/QuickDocId.aspx?quickdoc=416 Hope it helpsRegardsJeremyIf this has helped Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.That way future readers will know which post solve...

What is the difference between Visual studio.net and Visual studio 2008 express?
 I am fairly new in ASP.net development, i have downloaded sql express and visual studio express on the microsoft site, but i was just wondering if there is a huge difference between the express packages and the actual profesional packages. Any ideas on that?www.buggrep.comBest error repository site on the web!! If you are new then dont worry about it it, visual web developer express and sql server express are both fine for developing with all the major features of asp.net / sql server.There are some advanced features that I dont even know what they are.I think that the older sql expr...

i am a noob, should i use visual basic 2005 express edition or 2008 express edition
i heard u cant position labels and stuff like in 2008  i need some honest feedbackChu = Noob, please help Personally, I'd use 2008.  It's the newest and handles ASP.NET 3.5.  If positioning labels is your main issue, use Expression Web. JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue. if u intent to learn wpf, wcf then go for 2008 or else go for 2005 Jai Ganesh. J , GSD ,IndiaPlease Mark As Answer If my reply helped you....

Visual Studio 2008 -or- Visual Web Developer Express 2008 -or- SharePoint Designer / Etc.
It's been a while since I actively designed in dot net.  Now it's time to do some serious updating to our website (from dot net 1.1 to 3.5).  I haven't used any of the new design tools but want to be able to take complete advantage of all the new features of v3.5 and the features of development applications. What are the differences between Visual Studio 2008 / Visual Web Developer Express 2008 / SharePoint Designer / Etc. and are there any others I should consider for development?  I just want to settle on a development platform so I can start moving forward...

Using visual sourcesafe 2005 with visual web developer 2008 express
Does anyone know if visual web developer 2008 express edition has the option to integrate with visual sourcesafe 2005 or is the option only available for the full version of Visual Studio 2008? I couldn't find the option for source control in the express edition. Thanks in advance. Im afraid you will need to update this is one of the cut downs from the full version.Pushing out shapes, to a popular beat combo. Express editions are not expensible and do not provide integration with source code control system.Thanks------------------------------------------------------------This po...

Moving from VWD Express 2008 to Visual Studio 2008
Hi, I'm now using Visual Studio 2008 for my web development (rather than the free Visual Web Developer Express 2008). How do I import an existing website into Visual Studio 2008?I've tried creating a new website project and then deleting the files that Visual Studio creates and copying in my ASPX files, but when I reload Visual Studio it tells me that it can no longer find the relevant file that Visual Studio must be using to create the project in the first place.So I tried opening my website folder, but I can't, as Visual Studio will only open .sln files (which again...

Migrate Visual Web Developement 2008 Express application to Visual Studio 2005
Can some body guide on how to migrate existing application build on Vweb dev Express 2008 to Visual Studio 2005.   Thank you     I don't think there's a general way to do this; it all depends on if you are using .NET 3.5 stuff. Why would you want to go backward?  BruceDiscountASP.NET: Developer Ready ASP.NET Web Hosting- Microsoft Gold Certified Partner- Voted 2008, 2007, 2006 & 2005 Best ASP.NET Web Hosting by asp.netPRO Magazine I am using. Net 3.5. Express was a free version but my company has 2005 license, that's the way i am taking...

Visual Studio 2008 or visaul web developer express 2008?
Hi  Currently I am using the free visual web developer express 2008 software for developng asp.net and c# applications. Is there any advantages of upgrading to visual studio 2008? cheers Have a look here: http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2006/06/26/647516.aspxThanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

NORTHWIND.SDF connection problem - Trouble with Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition
I have installed Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition and have made sure SP1 was installed before hand. I am try to complete the Visual Basic Training exercise module1 and everything is fine until I try to add a data connection to the NORTHWIND.SDF database file. I get an error message saying '....Access to database file is not allowed...'  However I can clearly 'see' and the file and it's path when using the Browse funtion from the 'ADD Connection' window. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Visual Basic 2008 Express edition but this does n...

DO I buy visual studio 2008 professional or just Use the Free Visual Web developer Express
I want to develop a website from scratch but will like to know if I should use the free visual web developer express 2008 or buy the visual studio 2008 professional. What does the Visual studio professional offer more than the free version(visual web developer express 2008).  ps. I have tried to make numerous search on the difference but couldn't find one. I need clear and conscise information about the differences. I just want to be sure if I really need to purchase the professional or just use the free version.  Also if I use the visual web developer express now c...

Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions , Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual J#, Visual C++, and Visual Web Developer Express
Newbie questions....    What is the difference between all this products, i understand now all of them are free of charge, my intention is to build a website, then i do not know if    Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual J#, Visual C++, and Visual Web Developer Express,  are independent produckts or just some kind of adds to  the last oneI have downloaded visual web developer 2005, and the starter kit, is this all that i need starting to work building my pages or am i missing something else? See the Express Products column in the Visual Studio 2005 Product Lin...

how to uninstall MSDN Express Library for Visual Studio 2008 Express Editions
So I just downloaded the 2008 Visual Web Developer and C# Express Editions.... I'm looking at the documentation that comes with the Express versions, and this just isn;t going to cut it for me....I went into the index tab, and I couldn;t even look up basic type definitions and usage examples.... So I want the full MSDN documentation with "all" .NET framework types and documentation...In other words, this.... However, at that URL, there is the following text: "Concurrent installations of the Visual Studio Express Library and the MSDN Library for Visual Studio ...

Web resources about - Visual Studio 2008 SP1 - SQL Server 2005 Express Required, but I want to use SQL 2008 Express - asp.net.sql-datasource

Some Assembly Required (radio program) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Some Assembly Required is a sound collage radio program in the United States, produced in Minneapolis , Minnesota . It is the first radio show ...

Third-Party Apps No Longer Required To Create Facebook Promotions
Facebook Tuesday announced updated guidelines for promotions on the social network, and the most prominent change was the removal of the requirement ...

Security Check Required - Facebook
Facebook logo Email or Phone Password Keep me logged in Forgotten your password? Sign Up Security Check Please enter the text below Can't read ...

Action required for new Graph API Webhooks
Action required for new Graph API Webhooks

Facebook opens up promotions policy; third-party apps no longer required
Another step in its simplification process , Facebook is making it easier for pages to run promotions or contests , by removing the requirement ...

UP - Tracker Required (UP/UP24/UP MOVE) on the App Store on iTunes
Get UP - Tracker Required (UP/UP24/UP MOVE) on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

The #Portland #airport #carpet required selfie. #PDX #pdxairport - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore domesticat's photos on Flickr. domesticat has uploaded 6624 photos to Flickr.

How Create Blank App Icons On Your Home Screen - No Jailbreak Required! - YouTube
Link to tutorial: http://bitly.com/iemptylink Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/macmixing Like my Facebook page: http://www.faceb ...

Urgent action is required to help Arab Christians
Muslims have a key role to play in preserving a continued Christian presence in the Middle East, writes Michael Young

Position vacant: Queenslander required to beat up Paul Gallen
It should be the easiest job vacancy to fill in the entire state.