using my sql server express 2005 database on my web server

Hello,

 I appologie for asking what is possibly  very simple question, but here goes.

 I have been trying for a while to upload one of my database projects that I have created in Visual web developer to my web host. However every time I try and run the remote version I get the following error:

 An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

All I have done is create the database within the visual web developer environment itself and build the project using this datbase. The project works fine locally, but falls over remotely giving the error above. I am not trying to do anything to clever, just using a GridView and a standard connection.

I have tried to research this, and have identified that it may be because the conection is trying to use windows authentication on the remote server.

If this is the case how can I create a user name etc for my database in Visual web developer and use it on the remote web site?

If this is not the case can somebody please tell me that I am barking up the wrong tree and point me in the right direction?

Thanks

asp.net newbie
0
bennyboy

bennyboy:

 An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

I have tried to research this, and have identified that it may be because the conection is trying to use windows authentication on the remote server.

No, this is not an authencation issue, instead it is a connection failure.Have you ever enabled remote connections for the SQL Server in SQL Server Surface Area (in Configuration Tools catagory)? Also make sure there are available network libraries for the SQL Server (configure this in SQL Server Configuration Manager).

Then you have to check connection string. Since you're trying to connect to remote SQL Server,  the Data Source property should not be something like '.\SQLEXPRESS', instead it should be the full instance name like 'machinename\SQLEXPRESS'.

Welcome to my SQL/ASPNET forum for Chinese
http://51up.org/bbs/forumdisplay.php?fid=38
0
Iori_Jay
8/28/2006 7:09:36 AM

Hi Iori_Jay,

thanks for taking the time to reply. Perhaps you could help me a bit more with my understanding of the problem. I am using the visual web developer 2005 tool as a complete solution. Am I wrong to assume that I can just upload the .mdf file created in my App_Data directory within my project alongside the rest of the project and expect it to work?

If not where or how do I configure the remote connections etc. for my .mdf file?

I may also be trying to attempt an imposible task, as far as I understood it, the sql server express 2005 database is capable of working with visual web developer express 2005 independantly of a full implementation of SQL server. Is this completely correct or does my web host need to have SQL server support for my app to work?

Any help on where I am going wrong, or where I can use Visual web developer to modify my settings etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

asp.net newbie
0
bennyboy
8/28/2006 8:34:59 AM
One thing to keep in mind: currently SQL only support attaching local database file, remote server, HTTP, and UNC path names are not supported. In other words the AttachDBFilename property in the connection string must reference a database file on the local disk of the SQL machine.
Welcome to my SQL/ASPNET forum for Chinese
http://51up.org/bbs/forumdisplay.php?fid=38
0
Iori_Jay

How to connect to Remote SQL Server database using SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi,I've an account with a hosting service provider online for SQL Server database. I've downloaded SQL Server 2005 Express from ASP.Net. How can I use it to connect to my SQL Server Database which is sitting on remote server? The hosting provider gave me following things to connect to the remote database.Server NameDatabase NameUser NamePasswordRegards,A.K.R    Anyone? I don't want to ask the obvious, but is there not a Read Me file included with the download of SQL Express which would explain how to connect? Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I've only ever briefly ...

Moving SQL Server 2005 Database to SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi, I have SQL Server 2005 in my Development machine but the hosting server has only SQL server 2005 Express. I was wondering if I develop the DB in SQL server 2005 would be able to move/deploy it to SQL Server Express in the production server? If so how? Can I just generate the script and then run it on the productions server? Or there is a better/easier way? Thanks in advanceShuaib----------------------- I don't anticipate any problems creating database in SQL Server 2005 and moving it to Express. If you need to generate the script to create an empty shell (no d...

Problem with creating new SQL server database in VWDExpress using SQL Server 2005 Express
 when I try to create a SQL Database from Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition, I get the following error message: "Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.  Please verify the installation of the component or download from the URL http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=49251" When I go to that URL, it brings me to the page to download SQL Server Express 2005. any ideathanks for advance  Did you install SQL Server Express on your server/system? JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answe...

Restoring a SQL Server Express 2005 Database to SQL Server Standard 2005
Hello,If I backup and restore an express database to sql server 2005 standard, will there still be limitations in regards to the database size, cpu...etc.? Thanks,Jon  I suppose that no. Limitations are connected to SQL engine not to database itself. But probably if your database will grow up connected to SQL Standard and you will try to move it back to SQL express you will be in trouble.  ThanksJPazgier...

If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly?
If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly? Thanks! Hi asdpai, I am not sure if I catch your meaning.But if you want to upgrade the SQL Server 2005 Express to SQL Server 2008 Express, you may refer to the following link: Version and Edition Upgradeshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspxHow to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2008 (Setup)http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144267.aspxJian KangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to mark the replies as answers if t...

How to convert a SQL Server 2005 Database to SQL Server Express
Hi, I have a SQL Server 2005 Database that I would like to export to SQL Server Express. How do I go about this? I've tried backing it up, creating a new (blank) SQL Server Express Database and trying to restore it, but get the following message: TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio------------------------------ Restore failed for Server 'PRODSOL-LAPTOP1\SQLEXPRESS'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo) For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.2047.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOp...

How to export sql server 2005 express for import on web sql server
Hi,  I'm new to SQL Server 2005 Express and SQL.  I've been using Access for year and have not moved on to asp.net for my website.  I understand from 1and1.com that I will need to imort a backup of my SQL Server 2005 Express file to my on site database. I don't find any way to do that.  Please advise as to how I get the express version to work on my site. Thanks! Leesha Did you install the SQL Management Studio?  In the toolkit... JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future rea...

How migrate SQL server 2000 database to SQL Server 2005 Express
I  have a  SQL server 2000 database.I have to migrate it to SQL Server 2005 Express.But I don't know how to do. Is any one can help me ? Thanks You can detach the database using sp_detach_db and then re-attach it to your SSE instance using sp_attach_db.  This should work seamlessly, but back up first, just in case.Adam MachanicSQL Server MVP...

Web resources about - using my sql server express 2005 database on my web server - asp.net.sql-datasource

Dodgy database exposes details of 191 million US voters
... years, there's a high chance that your personal details are now out in the wild. Security researcher Chris Vickery found a misconfigured database ...

Database configuration issues expose 191 million voter records
A misconfigured database has led to the disclosure of 191 million voter records. The database, discovered by researcher Chris Vickery, doesn't ...

Database error publishes data of 3 million Hello Kitty fans
Online researcher Chris Vickery uncovered a database this weekend containing the personal information of 3.3 million accounts associated with ...

191 Million US Voter Registration Records Leaked In Mystery Database
A huge database of 191 million US citizens is uncovered. But no one knows who carelessly left it open, whilst the FBI have been contacted.

Database Leak Exposes 3.3 Million 'Hello Kitty' Fans
... was accessible. Vickery told Reuters by e-mail that the company had plugged the holes he had found in three servers. But he said the database ...

Access Tons of Books, Photos, and Videos in the New York Public Library's Digital Database
... information, and materials anyone can use. Even better, all of it’s free. And the New York Public Library now offers access to a massive database ...