User and User Profile Storage

How would you handle these situations?

1st Situation
Storing user and user's profile information in the database. I have two ideas to handle this.
#1) Store all the users information in one table
#2) Store only the information needed to login the user in the user table, and have a userProfile table to store the rest of the user's profile information.
Why?
#1) Easy to build queries for, but will cause more overhead when the user is simply logging in. However, it will cause a lower overhead when looking up a user's profile information, as there will be no need to do table joins.
#2) Harder to make queries for, but will cause low overhead when users are logging in. However, it will cause a bit more overhead when looking up user profile information, as there will need to be table joins.
2nd Situation
How to design the table to hold the profile information, again two ideas.
#1) Design columns for every value
#2) Design a Key/Value pair system
Why?
#1) Easy to build queries for, but user profile information is limited to exactly what the table was designed to hold. It also takes less space in the database than #2.
#2) Harder to build queries for, and requires more BLL/DAL work on the application code side. It will also take more space in the databse. However, it allows maximum flexibility to allow users to add their own unique fields to their profile.
I know these are design decisions, at at one point it will be up to the requirements of the app using the database, I'm just curious how other do these things, and why they do them the way they do. If you know a better way, please don't hesitate to post it.
Any insight is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Did I answer your question(s)? Phweew...
0
ChadThiele

Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection
This is my first time to deploy an asp.net2 web site. Everything is working fine on my local computer but when i published the web site on a remote computer i get the error "Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection will be closed" (only in pages that try to access the database) Help pleaseee Hi You could take a look at this : http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=152338&SiteID=1Sincerely,Young Fang Hi ...

Single Users Profile and All Users Profiles List
I've made a discussion forum. And I have also installed simply asp.net membership. Now I want after click on user link to redirect to the page with User's info.I have simply user "John" and user "Bob" and everyone can click on those names and will see page with informations stored in Profile (Like Profile.Name, Profile.Address). I have three simply question:1. How to show profile values of other User ? Like I wrote above.2. How to list all users with for example their e-mails ? I mean: UserLogin - UserName - UserMail3. Or the easier way is to make new table with those all information an...

User Wordlist in User-Profile
high i saw in the TID10080800 that it is possible to point the User Word-List in example to a network drive like H:\\WT61US.UWL. how can i point it to the Userprofile like C:\Document and Setting\%USER%\\WT61US.UWL so it is copied to the server everytime the user logs out, but it is local for the notebook user's ? i dont now how to set it in the registry, that it point to the User-Profile. thanks Sascha Sascha, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has you...

Login failed for user 'Bachelorplace'. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)
please tellme how to resolve this error, i m using server studio management tool. and trying to connect using sql server authentication. my pc is over a domain.   Login failed for user 'Bachelorplace'. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)  check whether that sql server is allowing sqlauthentication or not.select that server -> right click it-> select  properties  -> in the window, select security -> check what is the server authentication. it should be  sqlserver and windows authentica...

manage default user profile for all users
We're are halfway through a rollout of all new machines (W2K SP3). I just discovered that you can change the default user profile to a custom one by copying over the default user profile in W2k. This could save me tons of time, as it takes care of all the nitpicky stuff (IE6, Office 2k, media player, etc) that one has to setup for each user. Unfortunately, we've already ghosted our machines with the standard default user profile (and I'm not planning on going back and reloading a custom profile on each machine). My question is this. Is it possible using z...

Map AD user to Sql user
Hi, I have a user repository in Active Directory as well as in SQL Server and both are in sync initially. But, whenever any change occurs or a new user added to AD I need to sync that change with Sql server table. how can I map AD user to SQL user. Does AD associates an ID for the user so that I can map that to my user table in SQL server? Please help me in resolving this issue. Synchronization of user accounts is an art in itself. You should check MIIS (MS Identity Integration Server) for doing things like this - it was built with this in mind. If you want to do this yourself,...

Modify User Information / User Profile
I have been rooting around looking for the answer... with no luck... I want to modify the User Information / User Profile collected, for example delete MSN, AIM and Yahoo and add City, State and Zip. Where is this? Is it right in front of my nose? Thanks in advance, (again). The table in the DB is the Community_Users table. You will have to either extend this table, or create a new table using a foreign key relationship to the users table to hold your new fields. You probably don't need to mod any stored proc though since the profile procedures use select * (bad design, but ...

user table/user profile ques
hi i have my own user table with user profiles, password etc...how to merge it with the dnn user table... is there any way. i am confused as it seems i wil have to create 100's of user in order to make dnn fucntioning for al the usersany inputs on this?thanks somebody must have faced some issues ref the same?/// anyone has any idea..   pls suggest i am stil looking for any info /feedback if anyone can giveit will be a big helpthanks In general, it is possible in DNN3 by writing your own membership provider, replacing the original Microsoft membership provider, that is used as a...

Retrieving User profile values for all users.
Hi, I had a search but could not find the answer to this question.  I am wanting to be able to retrieve all the individual profile values for every user and then show their first and last name in a drop down list so that I can select the name (value will be username).  I thought of gathering all the usernames in a datareader, then looping through each username and add the user profiles to a dataset, but how do I get the user profile values? I have found how to get the profile values for individual users when they have logged in using the ProfileBase =  HttpContext.Current.Pr...

Users customise their profile page for all users
Hi there I am a bit of a newbie to ASP.NET.  All my web development experience before has been with good old asp pages! So anyways here's what I was wondering.  I have a page called ViewProfile which displays the information about a particular user.  The information is pulled from a users table stored in SQL server.  The user profile displayed is determined by the id parameter passed in the url (for example - ViewProfile.aspx?id=123).  This allows other users of the system to see another users profile (the appropriate links etc are on the pages). Now here'...

Allowing users to view other users profiles
 Iv created a basic social networking site Using the built in membership roles provider and its working great. So far users can signup and create a profile, login edit their profile and upload an avatar. Also close their account and view a list of all site members.  But the one thing Iv not firgured out yet is how to allow users to view the profiles of other users. What I want to do is have a the usernames in the userlist display link to the the profile of the particular user. Now I assume I will have to send the username in the query string to the profile page but how do I extract...

Accessing Profile of users other than current user.
I want to access profile of other users. I want to allow my members to visit other members profile. I am not going to disply the senstive information. The default sql profile provider access to profile of current user only. Hi you need to use the getProfile function as follows:ProfileCommon UserProfile = Profile.GetProfile(UserName); UserProfile.PropertyName1=....   Please read this related thread : http://forums.asp.net/p/1243638/2279740.aspx   Regards,Regards,Anas Ghanem.Note:Please Don't hesitate to click "Report Abuse" link if you noticed something wron...

User Profiles
Hi Whats the best way for uploading photos? Is there a DNN control or standard? I need to store a photo against a user for my UserData - User Profiles module (see dumbTV for 90% finished version - click on any username to see the details - some of them have photos already from my old site, but theirs no way to maintain them currently). I really don't want to have to code this all again and I was hoping this would be in a control already I could just add to my form? And also, how/where should I store it? Under PortalID\Profiles\UserID? Or do I dump them all into the root (I know in ...

generating user instances in sql server is disabled. use sp_configure user instances enabled to generate user instances.
 When I am in Visual Studio 2005, and I try to add an SQL database, I get the following error "generating user instances in sql server is disabled. use sp_configure user instances enabled to generate user instances." I am currently using SQL server 2005 Express. What do I need to do, to create an SQL database? Thanks in advance.  Execute this statement:sp_configure 'user instances enabled', 1; RECONFIGURE  You can execute it either from Management Studio for SQL Express (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/) or from Visual St...

Web resources about - User and User Profile Storage - asp.net.sql-datasource

Profiles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've certainly enjoyed working with Rick... I think it's useful and important to change the people you work with. You get so stuck in certain ...

Profile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What's The Deal With Timeline On Facebook Profiles?
Now that the rollout of timeline for pages is complete, what’s the status of the migration of profiles to the advanced layout? continued… New ...

Uber iOS app adds credit card profiles, allowing you to separate business & personal rides
... expenses. But the service now allows you to register a second credit card for business use, and then simply tap your Personal or Business profile ...

A High-Profile Law School Dean’s Sudden Departure
Why is this dean leaving so soon after having his contract renewed?

AMD Announces FirePro W4300: Low Profile FirePro
... 128-bit 128-bit VRAM 4GB 4GB 4GB 2GB Double Precision 1/16 1/16 1/16 1/16 TDP 75W 50W 50W 26W Form Factor Full Low Profile ...

AMD unveils FirePro W4300 a low-profile CAD beast, capable of both 4K and 5K
... depending on their needs. For instance, if your business works with CAD, it is essential. Today, AMD unveils the FirePro W4300 a low-profile ...

The Kobalt diaries: profiles
When I started thinking about how profiles should work in Kobalt, I realized that the simplest approach I’d like to see in a build tool is defining ...

Colorado: Expanded Background Checks, ‘High Cap’ Mag Ban, High Profile Shootings
Colorado: Expanded Background Checks, 'High Cap' Mag Ban, Mass Shootings

Square raised a lot less money than other high-profile tech IPOs of the last 5 years
... . But the real purpose of going public is to raise money for continuing operations. Square's IPO was smaller than a lot of other high-profile ...