SQL Statement Problem

Hello all,

Let's see if we have some pro's out here or not. This could be simple actually, but I don't know how...
I have two tables, "Projects", and "Tasks." Now what I am trying to do is list the projects on a page. And I have managed to do that nicely. And, while it's looking, I actually have it open up another recordset inside of that one (which is looping) and have it lookup the tasks status percentage. So, when looking at one record, it looks like this:

Projects -
ID Title Status
1 Sample Project 37%
2 Project 2 0%
Tasks-
ID ProjectID TaskTitle StatusPercent
1 1 Sample Task 30%
2 1 Another Task 40%
3 1 One More 40%

Now the 55% is calculated by taking the 3 tasks inside the project and adding them together, then dividing them by 3. So the "Tasks" table has a StatusPercent field, not the Projects. So, you would think I have everything exactly the way I want it, but no...
I want to be able to sort the Status field, which means I need to make only ONE recordset. I am not sure how to have it do that math and give me the same outcome. One problem is the fact that some projects don't have tasks yet, but they still need to be displayed. Like ID 2 (above) has no percentage because no records in the "Tasks" table has been added yet. But... I still need it to display when it loops. So, it won't work with a INNER JOIN (at least I don't think).
If anybody could help, I would greatly appreaciate it.
Thanks,
ballmatic

What is the datatype of the StatusPercent column?  I assumed decimal.

You will need to use a statement like this:

SELECT
P.ID,
P.Title,
ROUND(COALESCE(SUM(T.StatusPercent)/COUNT(T.ID),0),) AS Status
FROM
Projects P
LEFT OUTER JOIN
Tasks T on T.ProjectID = P.ID
GROUP BY
P.ID,
P.Title
ORDER BY
P.ID

Terri
Terri Morton
Engagement Manager, Neudesic

How to ask a question

0
tmorton
9/25/2003 9:20:25 PM
Wow... I got it to work! One issue though, what is the purpose of the GROUP BY? And in my statement, I am calling many fields in the Projects table, so I have to include ALL of them in my GROUP BY... Is there a GROUP ALL, or GROUP BY *, or something?

Thanks again, I never knew COALESCE existed!
Thanks,
ballmatic
9/26/2003 7:29:39 PM
Good, I am glad you are having success.

You need the GROUP BY because you are using the aggregate function SUM
One thing you could do instead would be something like this:

SELECT
P.ID,
P.Title,
P.Field1,
P.Field2,
<etc>,
P2.Status
FROM
Projects P
LEFT OUTER JOIN
(
SELECT
P1.ID,
ROUND(COALESCE(SUM(T.StatusPercent)/COUNT(T.ID),0),0) AS Status
FROM
Projects P1
LEFT OUTER JOIN
Tasks T on T.ProjectID = P1.ID
GROUP BY
P1.ID
) AS P2 ON P.ID = P2.ID
ORDER BY
P.ID

Terri
Terri Morton
Engagement Manager, Neudesic

How to ask a question

0
tmorton

Problem with analytic sql function (The OVER SQL construct or statement is not supported)
Hi All!  Could You comment the next situation:I'm configuring my TableAdapter just like Scott Mitchell does in his tutorialhttp://www.asp.net/learn/data-access/tutorial-70-vb.aspxThe only principal difference is that I need Insert/update and deletemethods to be generated (His aim is only SELECT).I'm also using analytic function (ROW_NUMBER) and I'm also gettinwarning “The OVER SQL construct or statement is not supported.” Yousay then that it could be ignored. But, in this case statements tomodify data (insert/update and delete) aren't being generated, thoughafter w...

SQL Logging SQL Statement
Hi at All!! I use ASA 7 so I'd like to know if there is a way to logging the sql instruction that database server dbsrv7, receive from clients ? I need this because a client that use odbc connection after performing an insert into a table, the client receive the Message: "SQL truncate". I need to know the field on the table that generate this warning!! Thanks in advance Massimo The tool that does this is called "request-level logging" and in V7 you have to enable it from the command line when you start the server, using the -zr (and optionally -zo) c...

SQL Server Problem.(SQL-28000)
------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C12642.735DD1F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I'm a newbie here and have a question regarding the use of DBI::ODBC with SQL Server. I've checked the mail archives and seen others with the same problem but have yet to come across the solution. Here's what I'm doing: (note: actual user name and password have been changed here). use DBI; my %attr = ( PrintError => 1, RaiseError => 1 ); $dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:ODBC:LocalServer", &...

SQL statement problems
Having problems with our SELECT statements in both Webforms and client/server application that I wasn't having in the various demo versions. I am using "SNC" (SQL Native Client installed) connection. Connected to DB with transaction object called "SQLCA2". This code for debugging purposes works: select count(*) into :ll from users using SQLCA2; This actual code does NOT work: SELECT count (*) INTO :l_i_count FROM users WHERE user_id = :a_s_user_id using sqlca2; From debugger: sqlcode=0 sqldbcode=0 sqlerrtext="" Any ideas would b...

SQL::Statement problem
I posted a similar message to Jeff directly but I never got a confirmation that he actually received. So let's try here... Firstly, I've found out that RLIKE is broken: sub is_matched { ... if ($op =~ /LIKE|CLIKE/i) { $val2 = quotemeta($val2); $val2 =~ s/\\%/.*/g; $val2 =~ s/_/./g; } If $op i s'RLIKE', and since 'RLIKE' contains the string 'LIKE', the pattern is run through quotemeta(). Also, the SQL operators IS and the LIKE family are case-sensitive, which is contrary to SQL specs if I'm not mista...

SQL Statement problem
I am trying to pull certain information from a database by using the ISQL window, but Powerbuilder keeps locking up when I type the following code, could someone please show me what I'm doing wrong (assuming that all of the spelling is correct)? Thanks!!! SELECT t0.code, t0.billcode FROM billcode t0 WHERE t0.code in (SELECT distinct t1.code FROM app_charges_old t1 WHERE t1.invoice_number IN (SELECT t2.invoice_number FROM invoice_summary_old t2 WHER...

Problem with sql statement
Hi all I've got some trouble with a sql statement. What I have got: 4 Tables 1. tFuel------------------------FuelId | FuelDescription ... 1 | Diesel  2 | SomeOtherKindOfFuel 2. tFuelPrice------------------------GasStationId | FuelId | Price ...1 | 1 | 1.451 | 2 | 1.30 3. tGasStation------------------------GasStationId | GasStationGroupId | Name ...1 | 2 | Millers Gas Station |2 | 1 | Chucky's Gas Station | 4. tGasStationGroup------------------------GasStationGroupId | Name ...1 | BP2 | Shell So, what I want to achive is the following I'd like to show the user a list of all...

SQL-Statement problem
Dear all i am having a problem with SQL-Statement-1.005, whereas SQL-Statement-0.1020 is working fine. SQL ERROR: Mismatched parentheses in WHERE clause! SV = RV(0x810cad0) at 0x829105c REFCNT = 1 FLAGS = (PADBUSY,PADMY,ROK) RV = 0x83844e4 DBD::CSV::st execute failed: dbih_getcom handle 'DBD::CSV::Statement=HASH(0x83844e4)' is not a DBI handle (has no magic) at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/SQL/Statement.pm line 164. I think i tracked this down to Parser.pm the cleansql routine which skips closing parens, but not the corresponding openings: wa...

SQL Statement problem
Can someone please tell me what is wrong with my SQL below..I think I am missing a quote somewhere... "select distinct itype from TR_data_and_history where stationname ='" & StationNameString & " and highkv ='" & VoltageString & "' " StationNameString single quotes are not endedSushila Bowalekar PatelVisual ASP/ASP.NET MVPhttp://weblogs.asp.net/sushilasb Thank you..that was the problem. Final statement = "select distinct itype from TR_data_and_history where stationname ='" & StationNameString & "' and highkv...

A problem about SQL Statement
Hello, I've got a problem about a Select statement with the following criteria: Data Table Key Num1 Num2 A 1 2 A 1 2 A 2 3 B 0 0 B 1 1 C 2 1 C 1 2 I would like to select all row of a key if the (sum of num1 - sum of num2) with that key != 0 In the above case, the outcome would be: A 1 2 A 1 2 A 2 3 Could any body advise what the SQL should be? Many thanks!   Hi,newbie Try Like This I have shown the select query in bold   CReate table Test_Sql ([Key] varchar(20),[Num1] int, [Num2] i...

SQL statement problems
Hey gang, I'm trying to work out why on earth my SQL statement refuses to work. I've tested it on my db within Access, yet working off the website itself, it just refuses to return anything when there should be 7 or so listed. Can anyone see anything wrong with my statement (warning, it's long): strConnection = @"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OleDb.4.0; Data Source=" + (string) Server.MapPath("GAAP.mdb"); strSqlCommand = "SELECT STUDENT.STUDENT_ID, STUDENT.STUDENT_LAST_NAME, STUDENT.STUDENT_FIRST_NAME, UNIT_STUDENT.STUDENT_EMAIL, UNIT_STUDENT.STUDENT_PASSWO...

Problem with IF statement in SQL
 Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong here:  CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.AddProductToEnquiry @SessionID int, @ProductID int AS DECLARE @CountProductInEnquiry int SET @CountProductInEnquiry = (SELECT Count(*) FROM Enquiry_Items WHERE SessionID=@SessionID AND ProductID=@ProductID) IF @CountProductInEnquiry = 0 THEN INSERT INTO Enquiry_Items ([SessionID], [ProductID], [Date]) VALUES (@SessionID, @ProductID, GETDATE()) END IF   Cheers,Curt Regards, Curt  Actually I think Ive fixed it. Can someone please conf...

Web resources about - SQL Statement Problem - asp.net.sql-datasource

User:Jimbo Wales/Statement of principles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
As we move forward with software and social changes, I think it is imperative that I state clearly and forcefully my views on openness and the ...

Category:Articles containing potentially dated statements from July 2011 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ...

Obama releases emotional statement on Planned Parenthood shooting - Business Insider Deutschland
... Parenthood shooting in Colorado Springs, Colorado. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst President Barack Obama. President Barack Obama released a statement ...

Election 2016 News Today Dominated by Media Furor over These Trump Statements
Here is today’s top election 2016 news: The media attacked GOP presidential front-runner Donald Trump this week for saying thousands of New Jersey ...

President Obama delivers a statement on national security
x YouTube Video Wednesday, Nov 25, 2015 · 5:08:06 PM +00:00 · Laura Clawson We’ll have a more in-depth account coming soon, but the summary ...

Why Chancellor George Osborne's Autumn Statement Is Good News For Entrepreneurs
Why the UK Chancellor's statement is mostly good news for Britain's business owners.

Trump Tweets Lengthy Statement About Reporter Serge Kovaleski, Demands Apology from New York Times
Donald Trump responded to critics who accused him of imitating the mannerisms of New York Times reporter Serge Kovaleski in a lengthy statement ...

‘Enough Is Enough’: Obama Releases Statement on Planned Parenthood Shooting
President Obama released a statement early today about the Planned Parenthood shooting declaring “enough is enough” and making another push for ...

Obama Homeland Security Statement Live Stream
... security posture in the wake of the tragic attacks in Paris and as we enter the holiday season.” The post Obama Homeland Security Statement ...