SQL Server Stored Procedures/VB.Net

IS there a way inside code for vb.net to programmatically change sorting in a stored procedure???Reason is I need a two way sort and did not want to have to write a SP for each way ....If so Do you have an example.....
0
alewis25

Most likely the easiest way, is, when you retrieve the data from the sProc, put it in a DataView..

That way, you can sort The DataView by any field, ASC or DESC that you want
David Wier
MCP/ASPInsider
ASPNet101.com - where to look first!
augustwind
3/24/2004 7:31:17 PM
For most needs the above poster is absolutely correct, but you wouldn't want to be doing that with very large result sets.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any simple way to dynamically order results from a stored procedure, apart from using case statements. See http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/010704-1.shtml for how to do this.
Generally, though, if a query is very dynamic (ie. parameters vary a lot) then the benefits of a stored procedure are reduced, since the cached execution plan will probably not be optimal.
0
Diplo
3/24/2004 9:59:34 PM
I would add another possibility to Scott's article:

ORDER BY
CASE WHEN @ColumnName='LastName' THEN LastName END,
CASE WHEN @ColumnName='Salary' THEN Salary END,
CASE WHEN @ColumnName='SSN' THEN SSN END

This gets around the data type limitation without have to do CONVERTs.
Terri
Terri Morton
Engagement Manager, Neudesic

How to ask a question

0
tmorton

VB.NET SQL stored procedure: procedure has no parameters and arguments were supplied
VB.NET SQL stored procedure: procedure has no parameters and arguments were supplied Please assist me:This erorr message is produce when calling the stored procedure in vb.netProcedure AutomateMatterNumber has no parameters and arguments were supplied."MS SQL 2000stored procedure:*/CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.AutomateMatterNumber ASDECLARE @nextMtr AS BIGINTDECLARE @dtToday AS DATETIMEIF NOT EXISTS(SELECT * FROM tempMatter WHERE DATEDIFF(dd,DateSet,GETDATE())=0 )BEGINDELETE FROM tempMatter-- incase there are some old recordsSELECT TOP 1 @nextMtr= CONVERT(BIGINT, MatterNumber) + 1 ,@dtTod...

Sql Server Script File(.sql) Execution by Vb.net Code
I have a problem. I m working on "light weight sql server"  project.   and i want to execute .sql file through vb.net code with the help of sqldmo library and sqlns namespace. but i donot know any method to directly execute the .sql file. i am successfully making the full script of select database of sql server.   please help me.... thanks.... Hi, You can use SQL-DMO object in your .net projects by referencing Sqldmo.dll  file which is in  C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn  folder is default installation parameters are used. I...

Attach SQL DB to SQL Server 2005 using VB.Net
Is there any way to attach a SQL DB to SQL Server 2005 using VB.Net?  If so can you also set security? Can you rephrase your question? Attach SQL DB from which version of SQL server ? Look up books online for sp_attachdb and sp_detachdb.***********************Dinakar NethiLife is short. Enjoy it.*********************** I have a DB that was created in SQL Server 2005.  I have a website that displays data from systems all over the world.  Each system sends it's data to it's own DB.  The customer can then go to a website and see the data at real time.  What ...

how to insert sql stored procedure into vb.net code??
I am trying to create a paged web site from my database file. for that i found an appropriate sql code. the only thing i don't know is how to declare this sql inside the vb. is it supposed to be in the same .aspx file or in another one?? pls help if you know. thank you so much. here's the sql stored procedure: ------------------------------------------------------------ CREATE PROCEDURE sp_PagedItems ( @Page int, @RecsPerPage int ) AS -- We don't want to return the # of rows inserted -- into our temporary table, so turn NOCOUNT ON SET NOCOUNT ON --Cr...

VB.net connect to SQL Express Stored Procedure
Dear Experts, i am writing a VB.net window application. I created a SQL Express database inside the project. Inside the SQLExpress database, i created a stored procedure. I would like to know how to call that SP. Below is what i did and it raised a error "Missing provider" I tried to add "'Provider=SQLOLEDB;'", the missing provider error message gone but another error raised as below.. No error message available, result code: DB_E_ERRORSOCCURRED(0x80040E21). Sub PushtoDB() Dim con As OleDbConnection Dim cmd As OleDbCommand = New OleD...

Using sql Stored procedure from vb.net to output data
Can using a stored procedure from vb.net I get a report converted to xml for printing purposes.....ANy coding samples...

Calling a .NET dll from a SQL Server 2005 Stored Procedure
Setup:  I have a C# 2.0 class library that contains certain business logic that is to be triggered by certain database states.  There is a trigger that calls a stored procedure that is working properly (i.e. the stored procedure is being executed). Problem:  I have not yet figured out how to call the dll from the stored procedure.  Does anybody have any tutorials they could point me to or any advice to point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for any help.  So you're seeking for using CLR Integration in SQL2005. You can also take a look at t...

how to pass vb.net 2 dimensional array to a sql stored procedure
I am developing a online shoing cart for a ISP company. according to the business when we add some products we keep set of records for products such as domain name, address , tel, hosting option and so on so my basket contains a list of items as follow i would prefer to convert these in to datatable and pass to a stored procedure item     tel           name        add1      add2       add3      postcode   &n...

How to execute stored procedure from vb.net CodeBehind instead of a sql statement?
I've learned how to exeucte a simple sql statement from my vb.net codebehind (see sample below), but I want to go a step further and learn how to execute a stored procedure from my code behind.  I've already written the stored proc, just don't know how to reference it and the parameters in my codebehind..Dim conn As SqlConnectionDim comm As SqlCommandDim reader As SqlDataReaderDim connectionString As String = ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings("xxx").ConnectionStringconn = New SqlConnection(connectionString) comm = New SqlCommand("INSERT into xxx (a...

Creating a .NET Stored Procedure in Sql Server 2005 Express Edition
Could somebody tell me how do we create a .NET Stored Procedure in Sql Server 2005 Express Edition and deploy and debug it against the database from Visual Studio 2005 or Visual Web Developer?  Can some one also let me know which approach is faster among .NET stored procedure or T-SQL stored procedure? Regards... Shashi Kumar Nagulakonda.  Shashi Kumar NagulakondaXinthe Technologies I can't help you with the first question. The answer to the second question is obviously it depends.  As far as I know (and I know very little about .NET sps), given the same task, the T-SQL...

Stored procedure problem after I move from sql server to sql server 2005
Hi, Guys     I have a problem with a stored procedure. When I used sql express. there was no problem but after I change server from sql express to sql server 2005, I have an error message. The followings are source code and error message when I run program. Please help me to figure it out. This is a behind code in VB Dim tmpchkno As TextBox = FormView1.FindControl("txtchecknoin") Dim tmpchkdate As TextBox = FormView1.FindControl("txtcheckdatein") Dim sqlcon As New SqlClient.SqlConnection Dim sqlcmd...

Writing Stored Procedure in .NET 1.1 and using in SQL Server 2005
Hi, I am working on an application in ASP.NET 1.1 and SQL Server 2005 as database.I wanted to use SQLCLR feature of SQL Server 2005. Is it possible that i write Stored Procedures in C# 1.1 and deploy on SQL Server 2005? as it is in case of C# 2.0. Please refer some good tutorial for it. Regards,Imran GhaniImran Abdul Ghani SQL Server requires 2.0. The .net team made a number of changes to the memory manager and gc so .net could be hosted in SQL Server....

How to transfer a GUID created using vb.net into a SQL database using a stored procedure
I am able to create a guid using: Public Function GetGUID() As String ' Returns a new GUID Return System.Guid.NewGuid.ToString End Function however when I try to add this to a parameter using the following: Me.cmdSpAddOptions.Parameters("@QuoteDetailID").Value = GetGUID() I get an error, I have also tried this: Dim uidQuoteDetail As String = GetGUID() Dim myuid = New System.Guid(uidQuoteDetail) Me.cmdSpAddOptions.Parameters("@QuoteDetailID").Value = myuid but get the error "Object must implement IConvertible" A...

Web resources about - SQL Server Stored Procedures/VB.Net - asp.net.sql-datasource

Parliamentary procedure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... of the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom , from which it derives its name. In the United States, parliamentary procedure ...

Procedure is more a snap than a snip

​When Chanelle O'Hare went searching online for a deal on potential cosmetic procedures, she could not have imagined that what she ended ...

Old Lady Lawyer: Uncivil Procedure

We need to reform the culture of law enforcement, not just the procedures
We need to reform the culture of law enforcement, not just the procedures by digby I have a new piece up at Salon this morning about police ...

TSA Updates Screening Procedure, Will Mandate Some Passengers Use Full-Body Scanners
... Imaging Technologies, or AIT, in favor of full-body pat-downs by TSA agents. Under the new mandate, not everyone can opt for the pat-down procedure. ...