SQL Server Express Error: Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [2]

Hi

I'm a complete sql/asp.net newbie and want to try this tutorial:
http://beta.asp.net/GuidedTour/

First I installed:
Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2

systemsettings\software shows the "sql server 2005 express edition ctp (sqlexpress)" installed

mmc\service shows me the SQL Server (SQLExpress) is running

Following the guided tour I use the commandline, type cmd, and type in the commandbox:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\SQLCMD90" -S "localhost\SqlExpress"

Instead of localhost I also tried computername.smallbusiness.local (thats my fully domain name).

However I always receive the error:

Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [2]

Thank you very much for all your help

0
zipfeli

Try this link download the Express Manager so you can enable TCP/IP because you need TCP/IP in your Network configuration.  Hope this helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/2005/productinfo/ctp.mspx#EBAA
Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre

Connecting to sql server 2000 on Godaddy error: (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
Facts:1. I am using my account on Godaddy trying to connect to my sql server db.2. I can get into my db using user id and password.3. Godaddy's help file shows this for a connection string: connectstr = "Driver={SQL Server};SERVER=" & db_server & ";DATABASE=" &db_name & ";UID=" & db_username & ";PWD=" & db_userpassword4. My connection string: "Server=whsql-v09.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net;uid=dbasolutions;pwd=***;database=DB_87972;"  & _                    "Trusted_Connecti...

default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
Hi I always get good reply from u all, thank you,  I have copied my asp.net website from one server to another. they administrator made necessary modification on IIS manager . and able to see the website on browser. but now i can't loging to system using old password. I tryed to create new password then also it gives error System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connecti...

SQl Server Error: ----> Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
  Hi Friends, Im using .Net2008 and MS SQL Server2005, I Have a web application , i want to connect to the server machine SQL Server,  When i run the application im getting the following error. Im trying to connect to the database from local machine application to server machine database   An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Cou...

SQL Express

this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
Hi ,       I am struck with one issue.Plz help me out if you have any solution for this one. Details Front End - Visual Studio 2005 Back End -SQL Server 2000 (Remote database)  Error i am getting is {System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) &nb...

provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
Hi,    I am working on VS 2005 and using SQL 2005 Express and i am processing excel files and inserting records in data base as i processing starts and almost after processing 600 i got this error provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server. how can i solve that thanx   imran akhtar hafeez Hi manaprime, Please refer to the following comments to solve your problem.     First suggestion is to make sure that you specifiy the instance name as well as the server name (christ k...

Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
Hi, i have deployed my vb.net 2005 build application in a windows xp os , i have created the setup and deploy in a machine   iam using sql2000 server as backend   it shows the eror  Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server please guide me iam trying hard for the past two days    Regards,Kannandesikan Use SQL Server configuration tools to enable protocols you need. If this server is in remote machine then make sure you have ports open for protocols you have enabled. In the remote server case also make...

Error while establishing a connection to the SQL server 2005
Hi, I had an old web application created during asp.net 1.1 and it have a connection problem with the sql server 2005 when it is mirgrated to a new webserver with dotnet framework 2.0 platform. I have enabled the remote access(TCP/IP and named pipes) in sql server 2005, did all the neccessary things, check whether the TCP/IP is enabled, named pipe is enabled...  I created another web application using VS 2005. The database connection works perfectly well.This are the connectionString from the old web application.<appSettings>    <add key="ConnectionString" value=...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all #2
I get the following error and have been trying to figure out why I keep getting it.  Initially, I had placed my project under wwwroot folder and ran it under IIS and it gave this error.  Then I moved it to my local C drive and same thing.  I am sharing this project with two other co-workers and all our config files and code files are same...they don't get this error but I do.  I checked that SQL Server Client Network Utility has TCP/IP and the 'Named Pipes' enabled.  I thought maybe I have setting in the Visual Studio 2005 that I'm not aware of that&#...

(provider: Named Pipes Provider,error: 40
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.  I am getting this error and using this connection string Data Source=192.168.0.100;Network Library=DBMSSOCN;Initial Catalog=ENet;User ID=eonline;Password=eonline; What can be solution for this. you check if its firewall issue?James Wu (MIB426).NET is only way to goMCP, MCSE, MCDBA, MCSD, MCAD see thing is that it is working gud but when my application con...

(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
 Hi guys, does anyone know why I am getting this error w Godaddy, in my local envieronment works fine  "An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)" my connection string is: <connectionStrings><add name="xxxxxxx"connectionString="server=p3swhsql-v21.shr.ph3.secur...

provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
One issue has got me stuck while getting to build  an application (ASP.NET).  Whenever I try to connect to SQL Server 2005 (installed on local host) using Visual Web Developer 2005 Databse Explorer, I get the following error message: "An error has occured while establishing a connection to the server. when connection to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - could not open a connection to SQL Server)" NB:  - on SQL Servers' Surface Area ...

provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
Hi all Could anyone point me in the right direction on how to reslve the Connection Issue? Please See this link : http://www.sabapvc.com/lule.aspx Any help greatly would be appreciated. Regards.  Nothing Is Quite Impossible !!! It's dissappeard... for an 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.' exception. But with to less information to solve this one “If something can go wrong, it will” Hi friend My problem has been resolved successfully. but still i don't know HOW? Problem was due to My connection string !!! Thank you for spending time ...

aspnet_regsql problems - Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
Im currently running Visual Studio 2008 on Windows Server 2008 and I keep running into problems with the aspnet_regsql tool. As Far as I know I've created all the exceptions and added my admin account to all the SQL server groups however I keep running into the same problems. The error is below: System.Web.HttpException: Unable to connect to SQL Server database. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is co...

Web resources about - SQL Server Express Error: Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [2] - asp.net.sql-datasource

Police tear open roof to arrest man in connection with stabbing murder
Police have torn open the roof of a Gold Coast home to arrest a man in connection with the stabbing death of 16-year-old Michael Brack.

Paris attacks: Belgium connection probed as terrorist past of Brussels district of Molenbeek under spotlight ...
Prosecutors reveal a growing Belgian connection to the deadly Paris attacks, focusing on a poor Brussels district.

Cross-cultural Connections and Exchange: international study is more important than ever
... And, as a minority of ill-intentioned individuals and groups do their best to create divides, we need citizens equipped to create connections ...

Brussels Connection Under Spotlight After Paris Killings
(EurActiv) — Prosecutors on Sunday disclosed a growing Belgian connection to the Paris attacks as Premier Charles Michel conceded that a Brussels ...