SQL Server Express and SQL Server 2005

can any one tell me what the main differences are in the two editions? also can you use and express 2005 edition database on sql 2005? if not how would you do that?

Tuppers

0
Tuppers

Look here for a detailed comparison between the two.

Yes, you can use Express databases on SQL Server 2005. Just attach it to an instance of SQL Server 2005.

Is this enough information?

Don

Don Kiely, MCP, MCSD
In the Last Frontier, Interior Alaska
Please post questions and replies to the forum! And remember to MARK AS ANSWER when someone definitively answers a question or resolves a problem!
0
donkiely
5/25/2006 9:23:16 PM

cheers i was told by my host that i could not use an express edition database with swl server 2005?? thought it was a bit strange!

Many thanks!!

Tuppers

0
Tuppers

upgrading from sql server 2005 express edition to sql server 2005 express with advanced services
If i have been using sql server 2005 express for developing my application and i decide to upgrade to sql server 2005 express with advanced services while still working on the same application, what will happen to my  application's database. Can i be able to continue with my work with out any major regrets.--------------------------------------------------No Project Too Eazy.-------------------------------------------------- I have answered you in this other thread there is no problem, if there is a problem I would have warned you.  Hope this helps.http://forums.asp.net/...

Sql Server 2005 Express or Sql Server 2005 Developer Edition
Hi all, I just installed my VS 2005 Pro (full installation) and it installed Sql Server Express 2005.  I also have a CD for Sql Server 2005 Developer Edition which I have not installed yet.  My need for Sql Server on my development machine is for building and testing apps - just myself - no users will be hitting my sql server on my PC.  Most of the time I hit my web server's sql server but also want the engine on my PC for when I'm offline. Question: Should I install the developer edition and remove sql server express?  Doesn't the developer edition more close...

Confliction between SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
Hi,   My objective is using a single DB file (mdf file)  + SQL Server Express 2005 to run my program   I got two softwares here, Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2005. Firstly, I installed Visual Studio 2005, normally the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition will be installed with this software. After finishing the installation. I opened a new project and try to open a DB file (.mdf) from Visual Studio 2005, it works. The problem is that I can't restore the mdf file from an old database file since it lose a lot of functions that appear in SQL Server 2000 / SQL Server 2005. ...

Moving SQL Server 2005 Database to SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi, I have SQL Server 2005 in my Development machine but the hosting server has only SQL server 2005 Express. I was wondering if I develop the DB in SQL server 2005 would be able to move/deploy it to SQL Server Express in the production server? If so how? Can I just generate the script and then run it on the productions server? Or there is a better/easier way? Thanks in advanceShuaib----------------------- I don't anticipate any problems creating database in SQL Server 2005 and moving it to Express. If you need to generate the script to create an empty shell (no d...

sql server 2000 , sql server 2005 express
Hi, currently I m using vs studio 2005 to develop a in house web application... The problem is tat my company has only sql server 2000 license... n when creating the application cos vs studio comes together w sql server 2005 express, so i used it to develop the application. However, i tink there are compatibiliy issues with both databases. I used sql 2005 express mainly because in vs studio 2005 there are the LOGIN tools in which i cant create and they come mapped to databases created using sql 2005 express... so is there any compatibility issues when i deploy this application? and if so, is...

SQL server express upgrade to SQL server 2005?
Hello, I am currently using SQL server express for my website.  The connection is fairly sluggish and it can take about 30 seconds to log in say.  My web host says this is because I am using SQL server express and they recommend upgrading to SQL server 2005.  Has anyone else had similar sluggish connection with SQL server express? Can I also ask the best way to upgrade an SQL server express database to SQL server 2005?  Thanks for any help   I dont know about the sluggishness but if you want to upgrade, you can just detach the DB, re-attach it to the 2005 ser...

Upgrading from SQL Server Express to SQL Server 2005
 How difficult is it to upgrade from SQL Server Express to SQL Server 2005? I'm afraid to use SQL Server Express because of the 4gb max capacity, but don't want to pony up for SQL Server 2005 just yet. Is it possible to start with SQL Server Express and easily upgrade if it becomes necessary? You will have no problem moving a database from sql express to the full version. You can make a backup and restore or you can dettach and attach or just make a create script and use a select into to move the data. Oh and you can run both on the same machine.  Hope it helpsReg...

Migrating from SQL Server Express to SQL Server 2005
 I'm building a website in Visual Studio 2005 with sql server express holding my database. Now I'm going to deploy this site on a server and I'm going to install SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition due to the limitations of sql express edition. Does anyone know any good links or have any info on how I can sucessfully move my database to SQL 2005 from express? And also enable the website to connect to this new database location..is it as easy as just changing the connection string?  Hi,    You can move your database from SQL Express to Database Server in an...

Web resources about - SQL Server Express and SQL Server 2005 - asp.net.sql-datasource

The Indian Express: Latest News, Breaking News Live, Current Headlines, India News Online
Indian Express covers latest news from India, all exclusive current headlines and India news live, including latest breaking news on business, ...

Local news, sports, obituaries, classifieds and more - Tallmadge Express
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) Gov. Chris Christie, who once famously called himself "the healthiest fat...

Sussex Express
Search continues for boy swept out to sea at... The search has continued today (Monday October 28) for the 14-year-old local boy who was swept ...

PCI Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... standard support hardware I/O virtualization. The PCIe electrical interface is also used in a variety of other standards, most notably ExpressCard ...

Fred Armisen in his feminist bookstore persona Candace Devereaux reads "Portlandia Travelogue: The Brussels ...
Downloadable free here . A literary train journey on the Brussels to Antwerp Express through the erotic world of European train stations and ...

Jackson Hewitt Teams Up With American Express To Target The Underbanked This Tax Season
... and underbanked, taxpayers who have their taxes prepared at Jackson Hewitt can opt to have their federal tax refund added to an American Express ...

Jawan remanded to 7-day police custody in Howrah Express rape case
The army jawan, who was arrested in connection with the alleged gangrape of a teenager inside a compartment of Howrah-Amritsar Express, was remanded ...

Meet Uman, The Gender Fluid Artist Who Taught Herself To Express
Born in Somalia and raised in Kenya in a Muslim household, Uman is redefining outsider art in NYC.

Peach, A New Social Media App by the Founder of Vine That Uses ‘Magic Words’ to Express Thoughts
... thay uses “magic words”- specific words that easily format, add content and implement commands. and other simple ways for users to easily express ...

Learn These Body Language Tricks to Better Express Affection
Communication is pretty tricky in any relationship. If you want to share affection without blurting out “Hey, I like you!” to everyone you meet, ...