Hi Guys,

I have had SQL Server Express and Sql Server Management Studio Express installed on my machine for some time and recently tried to install a trial of SQL Server 2005 as well.  (Yes, I'm migrating from Visual Studio Express to Visual Studio Professional, just as in tended!)

Everything went fine except that nothing seemed to be installed.  I searched in all the obvious places - both on the Start/Programs menu and on the hard-drive: nothing.

A check under Add/Remove Programs showed that Sql Server 2005 Express was installed, but called SQL Server 2005.

So after a number of retries in which the install program kept saying that there was nothing to install, I selected every option under Advanced in the intall process.  This resulted in stuff being installed and I now have SQL Server 2005 running on my machine, but no SQL Server Manager icon.

My questions are:

  1. Where can I find the SQL Server Manager executeable?
  2. Has anyone installed SQL Server Express, SQL Server Mangement Studio Express, SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server Management Studio on a single machine successfully?  If so, what order did you install them in?  (I'm planning on uninstalling everything SXQL Server related and starting again.)

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards

Gary

Gary Bartlett
gb at prodsol dot co dot nz
+64 9 473-9530
+64 21 776-390
http://www.prodsol.co.nz - Dramatic improvement through pattern-level intervention
0
GaryBartlett

Hi, I have a machine that have SQL Server Express,  SQL Server 2005, SQL Server Management Studio and SQL2000 (but not SQL Server Mangement Studio Express) intalled, and the installation order is the order they are listed. The SQL Server Manager executeable can be found at:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\SqlWb.exe

If you can not get rid of your issue and consider unintallation, here is a useful reference:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/support/uninstall/default.aspx

Welcome to my SQL/ASPNET forum for Chinese
http://51up.org/bbs/forumdisplay.php?fid=38
0
Iori_Jay
6/1/2006 6:34:42 AM

Thanks, Iori!

SqlWb.exe isn't anywhere on my machine, so I guess I'll have to uninstall everything and give it another go.  Grrr!

Regards

Gary

Gary Bartlett
gb at prodsol dot co dot nz
+64 9 473-9530
+64 21 776-390
http://www.prodsol.co.nz - Dramatic improvement through pattern-level intervention
0
GaryBartlett
6/1/2006 10:35:40 AM

OK.  So I tried to uninstall everything as specified, in the link Iori offered.  Not everything was uninstalled, so I had to manually uninstall things within the registry.  Two days later, everything is fine.  I seem to have a SQL Server 2005-free, Sql Server Express-Free,  Visual Studio Pro-Free and Visual Studio Express-Free system.  I'm amazed that this can be so difficult - and stressed about the loss in productivity, but hey: at least I have a clean system and can start from scratch, right?

I decide to install things the other way round this time - SQL Server 2005 (Trial) and Visual Studio Pro 2005 (Trial) first and then SQL Server Express and Visual Web Developer Express after.  (I need to have the Express Product on my machine in order to support existing client projects and don't want to infringe copyright for the duration of the trial).

The install of the Trial software goes fine.  The upgrade to SQL Server 2005 SP1 goes fine.  I manage to hack restoring databases from previous versions of SQL Server 2005 - which doesn't happen easily, but at least I'm on track.

So, this afternoon I download the latest version of SQL Server Express and guess what?  Same problem as before - well, very nearly - except that now I can't install SQL Server Express!  How to win friends and influence people....

During the install of SQL Server Express it says that I can't install it without overwriting later versions of the software - and says that there is nothing to install.

Please, please, please will someone help me work out how to be able to run SQL Server Express and SQL Server 2005 (trial) on the same machine. DO I roll back the 4.5 hoour upgrade to SP1?  Or is there some other way I can do this?

I can't belive that something should be so hard!

Thanks very much.

Regards

Gary

Gary Bartlett
gb at prodsol dot co dot nz
+64 9 473-9530
+64 21 776-390
http://www.prodsol.co.nz - Dramatic improvement through pattern-level intervention
0
GaryBartlett
6/4/2006 7:04:34 AM

I'm sadly to hear that, Gary. The issue became more complex. Have you considered not using SQL Express? You can move the SQL Express databases into SQL2005, and that works fine on mine machine. BTW, you can find the setup logs for SQL Express under this folder:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG

But the logs are not so easy to read, you can start from here for troubleshooting the installation:

Welcome to my SQL/ASPNET forum for Chinese
http://51up.org/bbs/forumdisplay.php?fid=38
0
Iori_Jay
6/6/2006 9:03:37 AM

Thanks, Iori.  Finally got it sorted.  After installing SQL Server 2005 + SP1 and Visual Studio 2005 - and being unable to install SQL Server Express - I installed VWD Express, which installs SQL Server Express.

After a bit of tweaking and hacking (e.g. deleting C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\SQLEXPRESS), I managed to get it all working....

I have to say that I'm astounded that it should be so hard - I don't want my clients to ever have this much difficulty: I can't see many of them putting up with it!

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Regards

Gary

Gary Bartlett
gb at prodsol dot co dot nz
+64 9 473-9530
+64 21 776-390
http://www.prodsol.co.nz - Dramatic improvement through pattern-level intervention
0
GaryBartlett

Installing SQL Server 2005 & SQL Server 2000 on the same machine?
Hi All, I've installed SQL Server 2000 on my development machine, but would like to install SQL Server 2005 on the same machine without upgrading. Is it possible? I need to keep SQL Server 2000 for my existing production databases. Any one know the solutions? or any article? Thanks bosox04 wrote: I've installed SQL Server 2000 on my development machine, but would like to install SQL Server 2005 on the same machine without upgrading. Is it possible? Yep. bosox04 wrote: Any one know the solutions? or any article? Just install it and give it a different name. ********************...

Can I install SQL 2005 Server Express on a machine that has SQL 2000 Server
I have a dedicated server running SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2003.  Can I install SQL Server 2005 express so that I can run sites developed with VWD Express.  I still have the sites that need to use the sql 2000 server.  Thanks Yes but it best that the sql server 2000 instances be upgraded to service pack 4.http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345154.aspx Silverlight-helpVb TipsSpace Coast .Net User Group...

sql server 2000 , sql server 2005 express
Hi, currently I m using vs studio 2005 to develop a in house web application... The problem is tat my company has only sql server 2000 license... n when creating the application cos vs studio comes together w sql server 2005 express, so i used it to develop the application. However, i tink there are compatibiliy issues with both databases. I used sql 2005 express mainly because in vs studio 2005 there are the LOGIN tools in which i cant create and they come mapped to databases created using sql 2005 express... so is there any compatibility issues when i deploy this application? and if so, is...

Sql Server 2000 & Sql Server 2005
Dear AllIs there is a big defference between Sql Server 2000 and Sql Server 2005 and if  i studying thesql server 2000 about  40% or 50% from it..can i upgrade and styding 2005 or i must completing studying sql server 2000 more enough.Please i want a good and practical advise.(i can't get the chance to develope a real life database with sql server2000 until this moment.)Many Thanks 4 All. Hey,A lot of the concepts that are in SQL 2000 will still apply, such as data types, table design, indexes, pk/fk relationships, and such...  DTS has changed completely; in a...

SQL Server Express & SQL Server 2000
I'm currently developing my website using SQL Server Express which comes by default with the Visual Web Developer. My hosting is using SQL Server 2000. Is the database I created using sql server express compatible with sql server 2000? Other databases hy hosting supported includes MySQL, Access, SQL Server 2000. Among these three, which one I best use on my site? My site doesnt involved much database activity. Thank you  Shuf wrote: Is the database I created using sql server express compatible with sql server 2000?Not so that you could just take SQL2005 database file and ...

SQL Server 2005 Express vs SQL Server 2000
We just upgraded to Zenworks Patchlink 6.3. We already have SQL Server 2000, but I noticed in Patchlink's Recommended PLUS Configuration article they recommend SQL Server 2005 Express. Isn't that the newest version of MSDE and isn't it free? Is it truly better for us to go to SQL Server 2005 Express than to use SQL Server 2000? An interesting question: I wonder if any figures are available - I know that 2005 Express is /enough/ to run ZPM 6.3... -- Shaun Pond ...

SQL Server 2000 DB in SQL Server 2005 Express
I have an SQL Server 2000 DB that I created on one PC that I would like to move to a PC running SQL Server 2005 Express, is this possible? Will the SQL Server 2000 DB run under SQLS Server 2005 EXPRESS? Thank you for any thoughts, Yes, there are serveral ways to move the database: backup/restore, detach/attach, Copy Database Wizard, etc. For more information, you can refer to:Copy Database Wizard: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190775.aspxBackup/Restore: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190436.aspxDetach/Attach: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190794.a...

SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
Hi,Can SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition installed in a same machine. Will there be any conflict?Regards,Swami Sure they can exists on the same machine. Generally speaking there won't be conflict. The only conflict I have encountered came with SQL2000 named instance: after install SQL2005, the anonymous service on UPD 1434 port (used by SQL2000 to find out named instance) may fail to start, if the "SQL Server Brower" service is not started; so connection may fail to find out SQL2000 named instance. In this case you can just start the "SQL Server Brower" ser...

sql server 2005 to sql server 2000
Due to certain unavoidable reasons we have to move an application from sql server 2005 to sql server 2000 (yes from 2005 to 2000).  would changing the connection string be sufficient or are there other issues involved. How hard is it going to be to get it to work? Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Yes you will need to change the connection string!However you must look very carefully at the database structure. Do two script exports of every object in the database - one for SQL2000 compatibility and one without. Compare these two scripts, if they are significantly differe...

Web resources about - SQL Server 2005 Installation problems with SQL Server Express & SQL Server 2000 - asp.net.sql-datasource

List of United States Army installations in Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blink Twice video installation at Summer Set Festival: 3D motion faces projected on trees - YouTube
Blink Twice is a video installation that transforms trees into huge 3D faces that smile, move, gesticulate and even follow the viewer's gaze. ...