Sql Server 2005 Express or Sql Server 2005 Developer Edition

Hi all,

I just installed my VS 2005 Pro (full installation) and it installed Sql Server Express 2005.  I also have a CD for Sql Server 2005 Developer Edition which I have not installed yet.  My need for Sql Server on my development machine is for building and testing apps - just myself - no users will be hitting my sql server on my PC.  Most of the time I hit my web server's sql server but also want the engine on my PC for when I'm offline.

Question: Should I install the developer edition and remove sql server express?  Doesn't the developer edition more closely emulate the full-blown sql server, just that it only allows one or a few users to hit for development and testing purposes?  At the same time, sql server express is scalled back in that it doesn't have all the goodies?

Thanks!

Stewart

0
CSpace

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/features/compare-features.mspx

I think I found my answer at the above link. Develper edition is just like enterprise edition and because I am not deploying it and I'm using
it myself, it should provide full sql server 2005 functionality whereas express does not in several categories (see chart on the linked page).

I'll rely on the already deployed sql servers on the web host servers for deployment purposes.

Other comments welcome.

Thanks!

Stewart

0
CSpace
11/25/2006 8:47:45 PM
You leave the Express alone and just add the Developer edition because it comes with two Management Studios one for the Algebra end as Express and there is a second one for the Caculus end called BI(business intelligence) Management Studio, if you know DTS(data transformation services) the new version called Integration Services is also there, Broker Services, Notification Services and the most important, the Agent that is used to create all automation in SQL Server.  So install the Developer edition, it is better to copy the contents to your hard drive before installation and remember not to answer Windows questions just answer those relevant to you.  Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre
11/26/2006 12:49:15 AM

Hi Caddre,

Thanks for your reply!

I understand that I can leave Express alone and add Developer edition but I'm not sure why you're recommending I leave Express installed...just to learn it and it's management tool also?

Regards,

Stewart

0
CSpace
11/27/2006 11:24:56 PM
CSpace:

Hi Caddre,

Thanks for your reply!

I understand that I can leave Express alone and add Developer edition but I'm not sure why you're recommending I leave Express installed...just to learn it and it's management tool also?

Regards,

Stewart

The Developer is no deployment but you can do deployments with Express if you need to.

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre
11/28/2006 12:36:27 AM

Hi Caddre,

I understand that it's not for deployment.  As I stated in original post, "My need for Sql Server on my development machine is for building and testing apps - just myself - no users will be hitting my sql server on my PC.". I was asking with respect to my development PC.  I have separate web hosted sql server's available for deployment.

Thanks for clarifying.

Regards,
Stewart

0
CSpace
11/28/2006 3:56:17 AM
Did you end up upgrading sql express edition to developer?  I tried to upgrade and wish I wouldnt have.  It has given me 3 days worth of grief and lost work...
0
wildone
12/22/2006 7:29:32 PM

wildone:
Did you end up upgrading sql express edition to developer?  I tried to upgrade and wish I wouldnt have.  It has given me 3 days worth of grief and lost work...

I am sorry you should have posted at the first error because it is not an upgrade but a second instance install because Express is just the smallest edition, so copy the contents of your CD/DVD to your hard drive and run setup then named instance because the first in a box can be default or named all other must be named instance.  The reason when SQL Server is upgrading it looks for the TDS(tabular data stream) number and Express and Developer are both 90 so setup gets confused and start asking you useless questions to abort the install and one main rule with all RDBMS(relational database management systems) install don't answer questions from with OS just answer those relevant to you.  Post again if you still have question.  Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre

Sorry  so long to reply.  I wasn't checking this thread anymore.  I did not "upgrade" as you wrote.  I installed developer edition and now have both running.
Basically, I did what Caddre was mentioning about the second instance.

Regards

0
CSpace

upgrading from sql server 2005 express edition to sql server 2005 express with advanced services
If i have been using sql server 2005 express for developing my application and i decide to upgrade to sql server 2005 express with advanced services while still working on the same application, what will happen to my  application's database. Can i be able to continue with my work with out any major regrets.--------------------------------------------------No Project Too Eazy.-------------------------------------------------- I have answered you in this other thread there is no problem, if there is a problem I would have warned you.  Hope this helps.http://forums.asp.net/...

Confliction between SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
Hi,   My objective is using a single DB file (mdf file)  + SQL Server Express 2005 to run my program   I got two softwares here, Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2005. Firstly, I installed Visual Studio 2005, normally the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition will be installed with this software. After finishing the installation. I opened a new project and try to open a DB file (.mdf) from Visual Studio 2005, it works. The problem is that I can't restore the mdf file from an old database file since it lose a lot of functions that appear in SQL Server 2000 / SQL Server 2005. ...

Visual Studio 2005 Standard with SQL Express and SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition
Hi folks,I had visual studio 2005 Standard edition (with SQL Express) running. Then I install SQL Server 2005 Developer edition.It generally worked however some part of SQL Server Developer did not work properly (namely diagrams). I browsed the internet and found something that said I should install the .NET Framework Service Pack 1. I did so. It fixed SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition however it seems to have broken portions of Visual Studio. Specifically, typed dataset. I could add a dataset however I could no longer configure or add a table adapter. Telling me the "data provider may ...

Moving SQL Server 2005 Database to SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi, I have SQL Server 2005 in my Development machine but the hosting server has only SQL server 2005 Express. I was wondering if I develop the DB in SQL server 2005 would be able to move/deploy it to SQL Server Express in the production server? If so how? Can I just generate the script and then run it on the productions server? Or there is a better/easier way? Thanks in advanceShuaib----------------------- I don't anticipate any problems creating database in SQL Server 2005 and moving it to Express. If you need to generate the script to create an empty shell (no d...

SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
Hi,Can SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition installed in a same machine. Will there be any conflict?Regards,Swami Sure they can exists on the same machine. Generally speaking there won't be conflict. The only conflict I have encountered came with SQL2000 named instance: after install SQL2005, the anonymous service on UPD 1434 port (used by SQL2000 to find out named instance) may fail to start, if the "SQL Server Brower" service is not started; so connection may fail to find out SQL2000 named instance. In this case you can just start the "SQL Server Brower" ser...

Restoring a SQL Server Express 2005 Database to SQL Server Standard 2005
Hello,If I backup and restore an express database to sql server 2005 standard, will there still be limitations in regards to the database size, cpu...etc.? Thanks,Jon  I suppose that no. Limitations are connected to SQL engine not to database itself. But probably if your database will grow up connected to SQL Standard and you will try to move it back to SQL express you will be in trouble.  ThanksJPazgier...

Converting from SQL server 2005 back to sql server express edition?
Hi folks,I was working on MS sql server 2005 evalution where i have built a number of databases. However, i came to discove that the evalution version has expried before i finished my work. Now i have disinstalled the sql server 2005 and installed the Sql express edition.My concern here is how can i keep my databases so they can work with sql express edition?Thank you very much in advance. Since you dont have the option of backup and restore, what you can do is attach the databases. Find the .mdf files of your database in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data ( replace w...

SQL server 2005 and SQL server 2005 lite
Hi, I have a web site hosted at a hosting company.. I'm in the process of designing a web site which has some forms that are going to hit a database, etc.. for a small company.. This small company has it's own Web server, and when I'm finished I'll copy the finsihed product to their IIS web server, etc.. Well, I have SQL server 2005 full edition as part of my web hosting, but I'm going to have to use SQL server Lite for the end user / client since they don't have SQL server. So, I'm wondering if I can do my work on MY remote host using the full edition of SQL server 2005, and then copy to th...

If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly?
If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly? Thanks! Hi asdpai, I am not sure if I catch your meaning.But if you want to upgrade the SQL Server 2005 Express to SQL Server 2008 Express, you may refer to the following link: Version and Edition Upgradeshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspxHow to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2008 (Setup)http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144267.aspxJian KangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to mark the replies as answers if t...

Web resources about - Sql Server 2005 Express or Sql Server 2005 Developer Edition - asp.net.sql-datasource

Dungeons and developers
Have you ever wanted to learn web development or just refine your webdev skills? Dungeons and Developers gives your quest for knowledge a role ...

Pixel (game developer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Amaya's other work includes the game Ikachan which he released in 2000, as well as many other low-profile games. He is currently developing a ...

Swift is quickly rising in popularity as a developer language … but how much is Apple using Swift?
... most popular language in the TIOBE index . The surge in popularity was spurred by the release of Swift into open-source in December. With developer ...

Developers Get On Survival Mode In The Wilderness Of Lapland
... isn’t enough of a challenge. Now one of the largest game development events, Finnish Game Jam Goes Survival Mode , gathers together 20 developers ...

American game developer freed from Iranian custody after four years
Amir Hekmati (credit: FreeAmir ) As part of a prisoner swap this weekend, 32-year-old Iranian-American game developer Amir Mizra Hekmati has ...

Apple's iAd may soon allow developers to keep all the revenue
Back in 2010, Steve Jobs revealed Apple’s new mobile advertising platform iAd. The goal of this new venture into advertising was to make the ...

A developer is so frustrated by the Windows 10 app store, he's telling people to stop writing Windows ...
For months, developers have been complaining about a big problem with Microsoft's Windows 10 app store: their apps never show up in the search ...

Crytek will help colleges train young VR developers
Crytek is best known for Crysis, Far Cry and other games that push the limits of CryEngine, a developer tool that it licenses to other studios. ...

The Windows 10 store has a serious app discovery issue, and its developers aren’t pleased
Windows 10 has a significant problem with app searching and discovery, and it's driven one longtime developer to call for boycotting the Windows ...

QuickBooks Recruits App Developers To Create Greater End-User Value
How can a market leader stay on top? Innovation, engagement, self-disruption, entrepreneurship and thought leadership are all solid business ...