SQL Server 2005 Error, but its SQL Server 2003?

Here is an error we are getting when trying to connect through our websites:

.Net SqlClient Data Provider

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

The server is actually SQL Server 2003.  Windows Update installed a few updates yesterday, so we're thinking that something in the update might be causing this error.  I've checked the connections and it appears everything is still as it was.  Default port is enabled, TCP/IP and Named Pipes are enabled.

We installed the same updates on another server running SQL 2003 and it isn't having any problems.

Any ideas about what might be going on?

0
Pyre

I just encountered the same error on SS2003.  I am attempting to access a Webservice  I just deployed to my server.  The Webservice and SQL Server are installed on the same machine.

I am testing the Web service from the server console, using the built-in test Invoke page.

I, too, just allowed some auto updates to be installed.

 I can still connect to the same SQL Server database using the webservice code  on my development machine, Which tells me the problem is isolated to the server itself.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Tracy

0
tspratt
2/14/2008 12:18:02 AM

HMM, Maybe SQL Server 2000? Shows my ignorance, I am not a DB guy. but I need to make it work.  There may be no such thing as SS2003.  The version reporting query in the mskb article 321185 reprorts 8.00.760.  Maybe I need to upgrade SQL Server?

But still, I can connect from my dev machine...

Tracy

0
tspratt
2/14/2008 12:57:11 AM

Never mind, stupid programmer error, due to my unfamiliarity with VS 2008.

I had changed the data connection in the Server explorer, thinking that was changing it for my generated table adapter.  So when I Published to the server, the REAL connection string, in web.config, was still pointing at my dev machine SQL Server instance.  No wonder it did not work.  Correcting that brought joy.

In the mean time, I have installed SQLExpress 2005 on the server and am now using that to develop against, and all is well.

Tracy

0
tspratt

Error : An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does
Hi All, i am using tha conncetion string in web.config. <add name="MyLocalSqlConnection" connectionString="Data Source=.\SqlExpress;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\SqlServer\OC00003SQL.mdf;User Instance=false" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>  Instance=false and true both i have used  but i am getting error like that. on my web hosting site  Error : An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Serv...

SQL Server 2005 tools with SQL Server 2000 error
Has anyone run into this error below yet?  I had a SQL Server 200 Database and then I installed the new SQL Server 2005 tools to use for development and now when I load the database over to my production server that has SQL Server 2000  I get this error... (I never got this error before I installed the tools but I know other people that use the tools with SQL Server 2000 and have no problems at all) Server Error in '/ParkingViolations' Application. An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this fai...

SQL server 2005 and SQL server 2005 lite
Hi, I have a web site hosted at a hosting company.. I'm in the process of designing a web site which has some forms that are going to hit a database, etc.. for a small company.. This small company has it's own Web server, and when I'm finished I'll copy the finsihed product to their IIS web server, etc.. Well, I have SQL server 2005 full edition as part of my web hosting, but I'm going to have to use SQL server Lite for the end user / client since they don't have SQL server. So, I'm wondering if I can do my work on MY remote host using the full edition of SQL server 2005, and then copy to th...

SSIS
I created an SSIS package for a client that does data importing. When I run the pacakge from Visual Studio there is an error window showing all the errors and warnings. A good example of an error is if the import file is in the wrong format.When there is a error or warning can I write the error log to a file OR notify someone of the errors so they can make corrections and rerun the package OR any ideas that the client can find out what went wrong and then make corrections accordingly? Thanks Yes you can create loggers in SSIS package, you can select log destinations like fil...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all
When i enter log in, I get the following error page.    Server Error in '/' Application. An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the err...

Error while establishing a connection to the SQL server 2005
Hi, I had an old web application created during asp.net 1.1 and it have a connection problem with the sql server 2005 when it is mirgrated to a new webserver with dotnet framework 2.0 platform. I have enabled the remote access(TCP/IP and named pipes) in sql server 2005, did all the neccessary things, check whether the TCP/IP is enabled, named pipe is enabled...  I created another web application using VS 2005. The database connection works perfectly well.This are the connectionString from the old web application.<appSettings>    <add key="ConnectionString" value=...

SQL Server 2005 error when trying to connect to sql server 2000 database
Hi all.I am working on asp.net 2.0 with back end as sqlserver 2000. but when trying to connect to the database i am getting the following error displayed An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the...

Web resources about - SQL Server 2005 Error, but its SQL Server 2003? - asp.net.sql-datasource

Price Drop: MyAudioStream Pro UPnP audio player and streamer: gather your music collection from your ...
MyAudioStream Pro UPnP audio player and streamer: gather your music collection from your PC, NAS, UPnP servers, Windows Media Player or iTunes ...

Intel Rising; Street Likes Stable Outlook; Server Cracks Appear
... ( MU ) might not move fast enough with the “ 3D Xpoint ” technology the two are developing. Some cracks are appearing in Intel’s server market ...

Twitter faces local computer server demand by Russia
Russia's internet watchdog says Twitter will have to set up local data centres, having previously ruled out such a move as unnecessary.

VertrigoServ is an easy-to-manage WAMP server
Setting up a web server can be a lengthy and complicated process, with so many components to download, set up and manage. A WAMP server (Windows, ...

Poll: 68 Percent Call Hillary Clinton Email Server ‘Illegal’ or ‘Unethical’
Younger voters are the largest demographic saying Hillary Clinton behavior was unethical, and half saying they think she did something wrong ...

Morgan Stanley kicks tires on ARM servers, wants a rival for Intel
A lot has been written about servers based on ARM processors , but there's little data about how many are actually being used in production. ...

Quanta, Wiwynn see more orders from server clients for 2016
Quanta Computer and Wiwynn, a server subsidiary of Wistron, are expected to land more cloud server orders from their clients in 2016 as Internet ...

Sadelle's Is So Hot That the Servers Are Literally Catching on Fire
Actual flames. Sadelle's, the wildly popular Soho Jewish bakery/bistro from Major Food Group, launched dinner last week with a menu that includes ...

System Vendors Unveil ARM-Based Server Offerings
At SC 15, five companies announce servers running on Cavium's ThunderX SoCs, while Applied Micro announces new interconnect for its X-Gene chips. ...