sql express 2008 database to sql server 2008 database what bits do I need to download

I need a client program for my pc so I can put my sql express 2008 database on a sql server 2008.  My SQL server is off on some generic web host.

I tried management studio 2005 express version won't open my .mdf file but it opens my web host database.

I tried to download full version of sql server 2008 but couldn't find the management studio program in the download.

Is there a trial or a preview I can download from microsoft that has the bits?

Thanks

Dan.

I don't ask many questions but I'm trying to partisipate in this community.

Good Luck

0
Danny117

Haven't tried it yet, but one of the downloads comes with 'tools,' one of which is management studio (basic, they call it now, instead of express).

http://www.microsoft.com/express/sql/download/

---------------------------------------
MCP - Web Based Client Development .NET 2.0
0
ps2goat
12/24/2008 1:33:17 PM

I'll retry those bits.

Good Luck

0
Danny117
12/24/2008 1:59:25 PM

There not working I get the studio up but somewhere along the line I can't open the aspnet.mdf for my site membership and get it onto my server.  I even guiennia piged the publish shared hosting wizzard as best I could.

The management studio comes up now. butt I get this.

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
------------------------------

Create failed for Database 'dan1'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.0.1600.22+((SQL_PreRelease).080709-1414+)&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Create+Database&LinkId=20476

------------------------------
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

------------------------------

CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 262)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.00.1600&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=262&LinkId=20476

------------------------------
BUTTONS:

OK
------------------------------
I'm just hosed so I'll come back to this next week.

Good Luck

0
Danny117
12/24/2008 5:25:18 PM

I'm just going to bet that SQL express product wasn't tested on vista ultimate using the default security config.  Once I reinstalled and specified a directory outside of "program files" for the data files.  Which I'm told is pretty common in a production environment for sql server.  The management studio was able to open my aspnetdb.mdf after I moved it to the data directory.

I should be good from here.

Good Luck

0
Danny117
12/24/2008 6:23:11 PM

Hi Danny,

From your description, it seems that you would like make migration between servers for ASPNETDB.MDF, right?

I think you can refer to the blog below:

http://weblogs.asp.net/nannettethacker/archive/2008/11/04/deploying-the-aspnetdb-mdf-to-a-production-server.aspx

As far as I know, there is no problem to run SQL Server 2008 Express Edition in Windows Vista.

For the reason of User Account Control (UAC) feature, sometimes we need right-click the program icon and click Run as administrator to run a program as an administrator in Windows Vista.

How to use User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922708

Jian Kang
Microsoft Online Community Support

Jian

If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly?
If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly? Thanks! Hi asdpai, I am not sure if I catch your meaning.But if you want to upgrade the SQL Server 2005 Express to SQL Server 2008 Express, you may refer to the following link: Version and Edition Upgradeshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspxHow to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2008 (Setup)http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144267.aspxJian KangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to mark the replies as answers if t...

Can microsoft SQL Server 2005 database upgrade to microsoft SQL Server 2008 database?
I have a microsoft SQL Server 2005 database, I don't know how to upgrade the 2005 database to 2008 database, I try to use SQL Server Management Studio Express 2008 to open the 2005 database, it's OK, does it mean that the 2005 database have been upgraded to 2008 database? BTW, is SQL Server 2005 database compatible with SQL Server 2008 database completely?SuperCool Multiple ZIP - A utility to unzip multiple files and work with multiple zip filesSuperCool Random Number Generator Yes. It is compatible. Anyhow go through this url for more informationhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/li...

SQL Server Database File vs SQL Server Database -VWD Express
VWD Express 2008, SQL Server Express 2005. I have been using SQL Server Express with ASP and VB for some years - I just create a DB in Management Studio Express, have SQL Server set to 'SQL Server and Windows authentication', and use a connection string with 'sa' and a password (I never have managed to get it working with 'integrated security', but that is probably irrelevant to this post). So I have a list of DB's attached to SQL Server that I can see, attach, detach etc in MSE. I am getting started with .NET. Working through a VWD Express book tutori...

download of Sql Server Management Studio Express for Sql Server 2008
I just upgraded my Sql Server to 2008 and I was hoping that the link found in this page would provide the download to SSMSE for Sql Server 2008, but it redirects me to 2005 version. I don't any instances running with Sql Server 2005 that I could access through SSMSE 2005, so I can't use it. Does anyone have the link for download to SSMSE 2008? Or should I downgrade? And if, how can I downgrade?  Thank you very much, sorry by my misspellings.As Heinlein said "specialization is for insects" explore beyond the universe. There is no SSMSE for 2008 yet. Bu...

Visual Studio 2008 SP1
I have the developer version of SQL 2005 & SQL Server Express 2008 installed on my laptop and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 installed.    I'm learning ASP.Net MVC and want to work with a SQL Server Express 2008, but I can't connect to SQL Server Express 2008.  I first tried to ADD a SQL Server Database by adding a SQL Server Database to app_data and received the error "Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.  Then I attempted to ADD the Membership.MDF ...

Sql Server 2008 express move membership database info to main database
A while back I decided to update to vwd2008 and sqlserver 2008 express.  Well it was not well thought out and now I am having problems.  Sometime before I upgraded, I used the ASP.NET configuration tool to create a ASPNETDB.mdf that contains all my membership and roles info.  Now I want to move everything contained in the ASPNETDB.mdf into my main database for the application.  I have found this great example of how to do it for SqlServer 2005  express, but I cannot find a way to do it with 2008.  I have tried the new import/export wizard, but am unsure of how t...

How can I get the 'entire' database, structure and data, from SQL server 2008 to SQL server 2005?
1) I can't get the 'copy database' function to work from SQL Server 2008 to SQL Server 2005. I connect ok. Everything goes to the last step and then it fails.2) I cant get a SQL server 2008 backup to restore on SQL SEerver 2005 either. The only way I know that works is to script the creation of all tables then export and import. This does work. How can I get the 'entire' database, structure and data, from 2008 to 2005? ThanksSQL newbie. Visual Studio 2008 supports a type of project called a database project. You might try importing the schema of t...

Cannot Restore SQL 2000 database in SQL Server Management Studio (2008)
At work we are in the process of moving over from  SQL Server 2000 and ASP.NET 1.1 (vs2003) to SQL Server 2008 and ASP.NET 2.0 (vs2008) My co-worker can but I cannot restore the SQL Server from a backup of the Production server (.BAK) through SQL Server Management Studio. I get "Exclusive Access could not be obtained because the database is in use." error even if I change my login to default to the master database and I have no other service connected to the database. It is a development database so nobody else even has access to it. I am able to restore it by RDP into...

How to convert a SQL Server 2005 Database to SQL Server Express
Hi, I have a SQL Server 2005 Database that I would like to export to SQL Server Express. How do I go about this? I've tried backing it up, creating a new (blank) SQL Server Express Database and trying to restore it, but get the following message: TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio------------------------------ Restore failed for Server 'PRODSOL-LAPTOP1\SQLEXPRESS'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo) For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.2047.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOp...

SQL Server 2008 Express with SQL Server 2000 Enterprise
Good Day,Please  englighten my mind, i have a plan,in my development PC, i have Windows XP and this Visual Studio 2008 and with SQL Server 2008 Express, in my  Deployment Server i have Windows Server 2003 with this SQL Server 2000 Enterprise. so my question is, what are the PROs and CONs in this kind of setup??? between SQL Servers????also please suggest anythings that will help me in this setup.  please help me, thanks JFRBPH12™ Is there any way you can upgrade your SQL Server version on the Deployment Server? Otherwise you would have to set compatibility mode to 80 in...

SQL Server 2008 Express Contecting to server Database Engine
Can someone please help! I'm trying to connect to Database engine in SQL Server 2008 express, but I keep getting an error and an error code 26. When I try to connect in MSSMS a window comes up Server type = Database engine Server Name MYCOMPUTERNAME/SQLEXPRESS If I select Authentication = windows username appears MYCOMPUTERNAME\LOGINNAME and password is blanked out if I select Authentication = SQL Server login appears MYCOMPUTERNAME\LOGINNAME I then enter my login password and I again get the error. I have tried all sorts of combinations of login/computername to no avail, I have als...

How migrate SQL server 2000 database to SQL Server 2005 Express
I  have a  SQL server 2000 database.I have to migrate it to SQL Server 2005 Express.But I don't know how to do. Is any one can help me ? Thanks You can detach the database using sp_detach_db and then re-attach it to your SSE instance using sp_attach_db.  This should work seamlessly, but back up first, just in case.Adam MachanicSQL Server MVP...

Web resources about - sql express 2008 database to sql server 2008 database what bits do I need to download - asp.net.sql-datasource

Dodgy database exposes details of 191 million US voters
... years, there's a high chance that your personal details are now out in the wild. Security researcher Chris Vickery found a misconfigured database ...

Database configuration issues expose 191 million voter records
A misconfigured database has led to the disclosure of 191 million voter records. The database, discovered by researcher Chris Vickery, doesn't ...

Botched database leaks records for 191 million voters
... sometime this century? If so, your personal info may be out in the open. Researcher Chris Vickery has discovered that a badly configured database ...

191 Million US Voter Registration Records Leaked In Mystery Database
A huge database of 191 million US citizens is uncovered. But no one knows who carelessly left it open, whilst the FBI have been contacted.