Restoring a SQL Server 2005 database into SQL Server 2000

Hey guys

 We currenlty have SQL Server 2000 installed inhouse for testing.  A client has given us a backup of their 2005 database and i'm wondering if the restore will work into 2000, or any issues i should be aware of. Should i just install msde locally on my machine and restore the database?

 thanks

0
jrogoz

Ask your client to backup database as 2000 format. There is an option for this in Microsoft SQL Server Managment Studio. Then download MSSMSE and install for yourself and try to restore database from it.

If database doesn't use any 2005 features (rowcount for example) then it should go fine.

Regards,
Viktar Karpach

MCTS .NET 2.0 Web Application, MCPD Web Developer
ASP.NET C# Technical Blog
0
karpach96
11/21/2007 11:31:14 PM

Directly we cannot restore the SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2000 until we take the backup as 2000 compatable. Please make sure that in SQL 2005 database we are not using any 2005 features.

-Sri
ksridharbabuus

Cannot restore database in the computer is setuped SQL Server 2000 and SQL server 2005
Hi All I have Computer is setuped SQL Server 2000 and SQL server 2005 when I restore SQL Server 2005 it's OK but when it's not OK when I restore in SQL Server 2000. The Error as follows: Please help me to solve this problem. Thanks   check this url, http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=169145&SiteID=1 http://sqlforums.windowsitpro.com/web/forum/messageview.aspx?catid=60&threadid=42121&enterthread=y...

Restoring a SQL Server Express 2005 Database to SQL Server Standard 2005
Hello,If I backup and restore an express database to sql server 2005 standard, will there still be limitations in regards to the database size, cpu...etc.? Thanks,Jon  I suppose that no. Limitations are connected to SQL engine not to database itself. But probably if your database will grow up connected to SQL Standard and you will try to move it back to SQL express you will be in trouble.  ThanksJPazgier...

How to restore SQL 2000 database in sql server 2005
Hi,I have a sql server 2000 database and I want to restore it in sql server 2005. Will it be possible? If yes please let me know the steps to follow.When I tried it my self....at one point you need to specify force to restore...then onwards the system CRASHES (HANGS).I tried several times but not happy.Please suggest me the steps in detailThanks  Hi, Please check this link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190436.aspx Hope this helps you. Thank you Hi, Restoring SQL 2000 on SQL 2005 should not cause any problems. I do so regularly. It is no different to restoring a SQL ...

How migrate SQL server 2000 database to SQL Server 2005 Express
I  have a  SQL server 2000 database.I have to migrate it to SQL Server 2005 Express.But I don't know how to do. Is any one can help me ? Thanks You can detach the database using sp_detach_db and then re-attach it to your SSE instance using sp_attach_db.  This should work seamlessly, but back up first, just in case.Adam MachanicSQL Server MVP...

sql server 2005 to sql server 2000
Due to certain unavoidable reasons we have to move an application from sql server 2005 to sql server 2000 (yes from 2005 to 2000).  would changing the connection string be sufficient or are there other issues involved. How hard is it going to be to get it to work? Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Yes you will need to change the connection string!However you must look very carefully at the database structure. Do two script exports of every object in the database - one for SQL2000 compatibility and one without. Compare these two scripts, if they are significantly differe...

SQL Server 2005 error when trying to connect to sql server 2000 database
Hi all.I am working on asp.net 2.0 with back end as sqlserver 2000. but when trying to connect to the database i am getting the following error displayed An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the...

How to create a copy of SQL Server 2000 database in SQL Server 2005 Express?
I have a database called 'DB1' in SQL Server 2000. I want to create the same database in SQL Server 2005 Express including the original data in tables. How would I do that? I cannot find any option to do this upgrade in SQL Server Management Studio.sun21170 Check out this:How to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2005 with the Copy Database Wizard Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you! The article you mentioned does not apply to the 2005 Express Edition. The Management Studio for the Express Edition contains no Copy database opti...

Can Sql Server Express 2005 Run a Sql Server 2000 database?
Should be a quick question:I've got a client with a Sql Server 2000 database.  He wants to hook it up to a server that is only running Sql Server Express 2005.  Can this work? Thanks!-Craig U-Sports.net - Taking Fantasy Football to School Tell him to Backup the database and send you the .bak you can restore it as 2005 database.  I have posted a FAQ about moving SQL Server databases and there is a free chapter about Backup and Restore in the link below.  Hope this helps.  http://forums.asp.net/thread/1454694.aspxKind regards,Gift Peddie Thanks!  I will rec...

Web resources about - Restoring a SQL Server 2005 database into SQL Server 2000 - asp.net.sql-datasource

Restoring Honor rally - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Restoring Honor rally was held August 28, 2010 at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C. and was organized by Glenn Beck to "restore honor ...

Michael Warns: Democrats are the KKK - Restoring Honor rally - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Michael Warns and his friends holding up anti-Democrat signs on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial during Glenn Beck's "Restoring Honor" rally ...

On the Mall after the Restoring Honor Rally - YouTube
This video was uploaded from an Android phone.

In MSNBC Promo, Matthews Supplies Secret To Restoring Washington's Good Name: More Big-Government Programs ...
... nation's capital is in such ill-repute that if George Washington were around, he might sue to have his name taken off it. But never fear: restoring ...

Restoring the glory of ancient Babylon
New project aims to save key cultural heritage sites in Babylon, one of the most famed cities of antiquity and now an important archaeological ...

The ear is the new eye: How restoring hearing is becoming big business
In search of an alternative to hearing aids or implants, some report success in early trials for drugs to improve hearing or silence tinnitus. ...

Disorder in the House of Representatives: restoring the speakership
 More than 40 years ago, on February 27, 1975, a crisis erupted in the House of Representatives chamber.

Restoring a 140-year-old Bowral home to its former glory involves much labour and love
The Cedar House has experienced many transformations in its 140-year history.

Herd approach restoring arid land
Allan Savory once killed 40,000 African elephants. Your local supermarket designs lighting specifically to deceive you that its food is more ...

Alan Jones aside, let's talk about restoring civilised society
Alan Jones aside, let's talk about restoring civilised society