Receiving error message "SERVER FAILED TO CONFIGURE THE SERVER."

 I installed Micrsoft Server Desktop Engine from the CD I received in
my ASP.net book. The installation went fine and then I went to the DOS
prompt and did the "setup SAPWD..." and it ran. I restarted my computer and
opened ASP Matrix and went to the Data tab and proceed to connect to
the server. It gave me an error message it couldn't connect.

So I uninstalled MSDE and made sure the sql2ksp3 folder was gone. So I went ahead and installed the MSDE again from the CD again and then went to DOS to do the setup. It ran through the setup until the very end with 11 seconds remaining and received error message " Setup failed to configure the server. Refer to the server error logs and setup logs for more information. I have tried it several times and it always stops around 11 seconds. I have tried to install the download from microsoft.com
 instead the CD and that didn't work also. So at this point I am stuck. PLEASE HELP!

I also checked my Registry keys for a file called
PendingFileRenameOperations and it wasn't in the registry keys.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
0
cutie20rm

Change the default naming instance when reinstalling and it will install fine ...

Check if you have latest version of MDAC ... if the Machine that you are installing MDAC also has Certificate server installed and the Certificate Authority name is the same as Host name of the machine then this error can occur too.

ASP.Net Tips & Tricks - Jawad's Blog
0
JawadKhan
5/25/2005 12:31:40 AM
How do you change the default naming instance?
0
cutie20rm
5/25/2005 12:32:59 AM

Look at the following article :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/instsql/in_runsetup_7nqr.asp

Setup.exe DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0
              SAPWD="password "INSTANCENAME="myinstance"

ASP.Net Tips & Tricks - Jawad's Blog
0
JawadKhan
5/25/2005 1:20:12 AM
I renamed the instance name when reinstalling and it didn't work. I
have the most updated version my MDAC. I also installed the sqleval
version and the service pack. The installation
of the sqleval version seemed to go fine. Went ahead and tried to
install the sql2ksp3 file and then run the installation from the
command line and still it gives me an error. I have tried all the
suggestions and so far none of them have worked. If you have any more
suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks.
0
cutie20rm
5/28/2005 10:39:49 PM
Look at the following article from Microsoft Support on How to troubleshoot SQL Server Desktop Engine Installation

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q317328

Look at the following thread in this Forum as well ...
http://forums.asp.net/940097/ShowPost.aspx
ASP.Net Tips & Tricks - Jawad's Blog
0
JawadKhan

Configuration Error "Parser Error Message: Server cannot read capabilities configuration ` "
I am a beginner in developing asp.net application. Please review the way i have set up the server and deveopment codea) I have installed IIS on the server running Windows XP Professional. Thereafter I have installed .NET framework 1.1 on the server. b) I have installed Visual Studio Net 2003 on the production machine. I am making the application from this machine.Alll is working fine, but frequently many a times i get the following error when i try to view the page Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service t...

Message="The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error."
 HI,when I try to call a simple web method with parameters using HTTP Post I am getting this error "Message="The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.""  This My Web Method [WebMethod]        public string getDataWithParm1(string aaa)        {            string ss= "yytry";            ss =ss + " asdfg" ;            r...

VB.NET login (SQL Server 2005) error: "Communication with the underlying transaction manager has failed"
Hi all,I am trying to setup a VB.Net development environment on my desktop for one of the application which was already in the production for couple of years (some unknown contractor(s) developed and maintained it so far). The application works fine on the web.Visual Studio 2005, .Net 2.0, SQL 2000, SQL Server 2005 were installed on my desktop. When I try to build the entire application/solution in the debug mode (i.e., with http://localhost/), build succeeds and I could get to the login.aspx. When I try to login, I am getting an error in the Visual Studio at the following code;connection = ...

.NET Error Message "Server Error in '/' Application."
I continue to get this error message randomly for several .NET applications and I'm trying to determine if this issue is "Permissions" or "Application Configuration" related.  What are the necessary NTFS security groups and rights that should be applied to the file directories?  Or what is the resolution to resolving this complex problem? HELP! moblack29   The first step is posting the full error message. JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

"Mricrosoft SQL Server" or "Mricrosoft SQL Server Dababase File
Hi: Trying to understand this logic: We can choose: "Mricrosoft SQL Server" or "Mricrosoft SQL Server Dababase File" as our data source. I understand that if we choose: "Mricrosoft SQL Server", the database is located in server, such as: c:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL1\Data\Northwind.mdf But if we choose: "Mricrosoft SQL Server Dababase File", what will it happen? does that mean it will create a copy of a database (say Northwind.mdf) to my current web application foler, say in: App_Data foder? What is the main advantage (or purpose) ...

"Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server" using sql server express and vwde. why?
I've set up a website on another computer using sql server express and visual web developer express, and it works as expected. However halfway through the development i've had to move to another computer. I installed visual web developer express + sql server express, and copied the project files across, but now when I attempt to run it I get the error:Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed. I've tried reinstalling the software and it doesn't help. Any idea why this is happening, and...

How to Handle Error Message: "Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection."
I'm running WinXP and using "Visual Studio 2005". To make a long story short, my "Default.aspx" page is using a GridView to display data which is being read from a Windows 2000 DB server. When I run the app under the IDE all works fine. I copied the 1 file and put it into my folder as, "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\default.aspx". When it loads I receive the error message, "Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection." I'm frustrated with Studio Express 05 and will not bother with it again until Microsoft fixes this deployment issue. Can any one ...

You may receive the error "Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection"
Hi,Choosing integrated authentication for ASP.NET applications is a good choice because no credentials are ever stored within your connection string for your application. However, you may receive the error "Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection" while trying to use Integrated Windows Authentication and your application needs to access the SQL Server Database using Trusted Connection.I have explained the resolution in the following articlehttp://harishmvp.blogspot.com/2005/05/you-may-receive-error-login-failed-for.htmlThanks.regards,Harish...

You may receive the error "Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection"
This article is in continuation with Part I where I explained the scenarios where this error occurs when the Webserver and SQL Server are running on the same machine.It explains the scenario where you have your Webserver and SQL Server running on different machines.  http://harishmvp.blogspot.com/2005/05/you-may-receive-error-login-failed-for_25.htmlThanks.regards,Harishhttp://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh...

Login Error message "A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 1
 Hi all, I was wondering if any body know anything about this problem I'm getting with the login program?Thanks in advance.  A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 1 - I/O Error detected in read/write operation) Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A transport-level...

SQL Server 2005 error: "Incorrect syntax near "-" "
Hello, I have an application written in visual basic which connects to a SQL Server 2005In DB of SQL Server I have many tables. Table names can contain chars like: "-",  "\",  ".", etc. When I execute the instruction in visual basic sTableName= "Table-3" ' or ""Table-3"" or "Table_1" or sTableName= """" + "Table_1" + """"   -> """" = 4 quates (2 for string identify and two for writing in string a quate chr(34)->" strQu...

Error message "SQL Server has run out of locks"
Hi. We've got a problem with this LOCK-thing, and we don't really know what it means.. Is there anything you could do about this, and in that case, HOW?? Any help appreciated Thanks Mike com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException: SQL Server has run out of LOCKS. Re-run your command when there are fewer active users, or contact a user with System Administrator (SA) role to reconfigure SQL Server with more LOCKS. at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Native Method) at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Compiled Code) at java.lang.Throw...

"connections to SQL server files (*.mdf)" error message in Visual studio when adding a new SQL database
Hope you can help. Running Visual Studio 2005 and SQLServer2005.  I have created a new project and am attempting to add a new SQL database to it.  When I select the SQL database I get an "Connections to SQL server files (*.mdf) requires SQL Server Express to function properly" error message.  I also tried to add an existng database and it errors out as well "The file can not be opened as it is being used by another process.....".  However, I can create a new data source connection to existing SQL databases.  One caveat though.  I can ...

Web resources about - Receiving error message "SERVER FAILED TO CONFIGURE THE SERVER." - asp.net.sql-datasource