RE: Count SQL Query

Hey,

I have written the following SQL query:-

public DataSet GetDataSet(int id)
    {
        DataSet ds = new DataSet();
        string database = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OleDb.4.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|/forum.mdb;Persist Security Info=True";
        string queryStr = "SELECT (forum_id) AS ID, (thread_name) AS Thread, (username) AS Author, (date_posted) AS Latest_Post " +
                "FROM threads WHERE forum_id = '" + id + "'";
        OleDbConnection myConn = new OleDbConnection(database);
        OleDbDataAdapter myDataAdapter = new OleDbDataAdapter(queryStr, myConn);

        myConn.Open();
        myDataAdapter.Fill(ds, "threads");
        myConn.Close();
        return ds;
    }
What this does is retrieves the forum_id, thread_name, username, and date. What i now need to do is get the "Replies"...
I will need to do a Count() but dont know how i would do it here. The table above is called threads, and i have another table called posts.
I need to count the forum_id in both tables where the forum_id matches in both tables..?
I tried the following:-
string queryStr = "SELECT COUNT(threads.forum_id), (posts.forum_id) AS Replies, (threads.thread_name) AS Thread, (threads.username) AS Author, (threads.date_posted) AS Latest_Post " +

"FROM threads, posts WHERE threads.forum_id = posts.forum_id AND threads.forum_id = '" + id + "'";

 It gives the following error..
You tried to execute a query that does not include the specified expression 'Replies' as part of an aggregate function.
Any ideads how i can fix this problem?
Thanks
Regards
0
billy_111

You need to add teh GROUP BY for doing aggregate functions like count, sum, max, min, etc.

SELECT
	COUNT(threads.forum_id),
	(posts.forum_id) AS Replies,
	(threads.thread_name) AS Thread,
	(threads.username) AS Author,
	(threads.date_posted) AS Latest_Post
FROM
	threads, posts
WHERE
	threads.forum_id = posts.forum_id
AND
	threads.forum_id = '" + id + "'
GROUP BY
	Replies, Thread, Author, Latest_Post

- William

Give some of my PWSK modules a try.
0
whighfield
5/4/2009 3:42:53 AM

Hey,

That does not work it is brigning up the following error:-

You tried to execute a query that does not include the specified expression 'Replies' as part of an aggregate function.

I am using this SQL query in a web method as so:-

[WebMethod]
[...]

 Any ideas what is wrong with this?
0
billy_111
5/4/2009 11:38:17 AM

small change is required in following query, you cannot use alias in group by clause. Try the following query.

SELECT
COUNT(threads.forum_id),
(posts.forum_id) AS Replies,
(threads.thread_name) AS Thread,
(threads.username) AS Author,
(threads.date_posted) AS Latest_Post
FROM
threads, posts
WHERE
threads.forum_id = posts.forum_id
AND
threads.forum_id = '" + id + "'
GROUP BY
posts.forum_id, threads.thread_name, threads.username, threads.date_posted

0
singhcharandeep
5/4/2009 12:14:06 PM

Hey,

Ive changed the SQL query slightly as i realised it would not bring back what i wanted..

string queryStr = "SELECT COUNT(threads.thread_id), (posts.thread_id) AS Replies, (threads.thread_name) AS Thread, (threads.username) AS Author, (posts.date_posted), (posts.username) AS Latest_Post " +

"FROM threads, posts WHERE threads.thread_id = posts.thread_id AND threads.forum_id = '" + id + "'" +

" GROUP BY posts.thread_id, threads.thread_name, threads.username, posts.date_posted ";

But now it is giving the following error:-

Type mismatch in expression.

Can you see where i am going wrong?

0
billy_111
5/4/2009 12:42:00 PM

In your group by expression you're missing

,(posts.username)

Alternatively you can use

max(posts.userName) as LastUser.

Also, is your ID a character? It alsways much better to use parameters than string concatenation.

(Donald Knuth)
0
Naom
5/4/2009 1:01:47 PM

Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I am still receiving the "type mismatch" error. My SQL query is:-

        string queryStr = "SELECT COUNT(threads.thread_id), (posts.thread_id) AS Replies, (threads.thread_name) AS Thread, (threads.username) AS Author, (posts.date_posted), (posts.username) AS Latest_Post " +
        "FROM threads, posts WHERE threads.thread_id = posts.thread_id AND threads.forum_id = '" + id + "'" +
        " GROUP BY posts.thread_id, posts.username, threads.thread_name, threads.username, posts.date_posted ";

 I think i should show you my table layout then you may know why it is not working..

forums

forum_id, forum_name, info, moderator

 threads

thread_id, thread_name, forum_id, user_id, username, date_posted

posts

post_id, post_name, forum_id, thread_id, user_id, date_posted

billy_111
5/4/2009 1:23:25 PM

 Type mismatch is a 'front end language' error message.  I would suggest you convert your ID to a string before concatenating it.

-George
0
gmmastros
5/4/2009 1:33:16 PM

Try instead

"SELECT threads.thread_id, count(posts.thread_id) AS Replies, (threads.thread_name) AS Thread, (threads.username) AS Author, max(posts.date_posted) as LastPosted, " +
        "FROM threads INNER JOIN posts ON threads.thread_id = posts.thread_id WHERE threads.forum_id =@Forum_ID GROUP BY threads.thread_id, threads.thread_name, threads.username "

Try this first in SQL Server alone ( not from your ASPX page).

I believe you should group by Thread_ID from Threads and count number of posts per thread.

(Donald Knuth)
0
Naom
5/4/2009 1:41:05 PM

Well my ID in all tables are set to Auto Number so would i need to convert the ID into a string in my SQL statement?

billy_111
5/4/2009 1:41:26 PM

If your ID is a number, then why do you try to surround it with single quotes? See the syntax I posted instead and try it first in SQL Server. Only after you get your result working there you should attempt to invoke it from ASPX.

(Donald Knuth)
0
Naom
5/4/2009 1:43:59 PM

:( There is a reserved word in the SQL statement. I am using an Access database so i tried runnign the query in SQL view, and i got the error message..

Sorry about this

Thanks again

0
billy_111
5/4/2009 1:52:29 PM

Did you now get your query sorted out? Also should you post your question in Access Data instead?

(Donald Knuth)
0
Naom
5/4/2009 2:03:54 PM

No when i run the code it says there is a reserved word or somethin is mispelled..?

My full code is shown below:-

DataSet ds = new DataSet();
        string database = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OleDb.4.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|/forum.mdb;Persist Security Info=True";

        string queryStr = "SELECT threads.thread_id, COUNT(posts.thread_id) AS Replies, (threads.thread_name) AS Thread, (threads.username) AS Author, max(posts.date_posted) AS LastPosted, " +
        "FROM threads INNER JOIN posts ON threads.thread_id = posts.thread_id WHERE threads.forum_id = @forum_ID GROUP BY threads.thread_id, threads.thread_name, threads.username";

        OleDbConnection myConn = new OleDbConnection(database);
        OleDbCommand dbCommand = new OleDbCommand(queryStr, myConn);
        OleDbDataAdapter myDataAdapter = new OleDbDataAdapter(queryStr, myConn);

        dbCommand.Parameters.Add("@forum_ID", OleDbType.Integer, 10);
        dbCommand.Parameters["@forum_ID"].Value = id;

        myConn.Open();
        myDataAdapter.Fill(ds, "threads");
        myConn.Close();
        return ds;
    }
If we cant solve the problem then i will post the question in access. Its just that when i post a question in getting started
i always find better help as you can see now :)
billy_111
5/4/2009 2:09:20 PM

The error is here

max(posts.date_posted) AS LastPosted,  FROM "

remove last comma, it should be

max(Posts.Date_Posted) as LastPosted FROM ...

(Donald Knuth)
0
Naom
5/4/2009 2:14:50 PM

Thanks thats one problem out of the way. But now the "Type Mismatch" is back :)

I run the SQL in Access and it says Type Mismatch in expression..

Thanks for your help so far.

Regards

0
billy_111
5/4/2009 2:18:41 PM

The SQL itself looked OK to me.

Try to use a constant for now in your tests in Access SQL for @Forum_ID

Post your current SQL again in a more readable format (few lines, so we would not need to scroll) and we would try to simplify it again to the bare minimum and then slowly try to make more complex.

(Donald Knuth)
0
Naom
5/4/2009 2:26:40 PM

Hey,

I hav been using a constant instead of @forum_id, i used 2 but still no luck. Anyway Heres the SQL,

string queryStr = "SELECT threads.thread_id, COUNT(posts.thread_id) AS Replies, (threads.thread_name) AS Thread, (threads.username) AS Author, max(posts.date_posted) AS LastPosted " + "FROM threads INNER JOIN posts ON threads.thread_id = posts.thread_id WHERE threads.forum_id = @forum_ID GROUP BY threads.thread_id, threads.thread_name, threads.username";

billy_111
5/4/2009 2:34:01 PM

Let's try simplier version for now

"SELECT threads.thread_id, COUNT(posts.Post_id) AS Replies, max(posts.date_posted) AS LastPosted " + "FROM threads INNER JOIN posts ON threads.thread_id = posts.thread_id WHERE threads.forum_id = @forum_ID GROUP BY threads.thread_id";

Note, that I changed the second part to count Post_ID instead of Thread_ID.

(Donald Knuth)
0
Naom
5/4/2009 2:41:24 PM

That is giving the type mismatch error.. :(

0
billy_111
5/4/2009 2:48:45 PM

Will it work without WHERE clause (for all forums)?

If not, I give up, and you probably need to ask this question (with simplified SQL) in Access forum.

(Donald Knuth)
0
Naom
5/4/2009 2:51:34 PM

Hey,

I've tried everything. Just to let you know i tried this SQL:-

string queryStr = "SELECT (forum_id) AS ID, (thread_name) AS Thread, (username) AS Author, (date_posted) AS Latest_Post " +

"FROM threads WHERE forum_id = '" + id + "'";

This code works fine. But obviously it does not pull out the number of replies from a user.

I have already posted a question on Access forums and they have suggested the same as yourself. I will keep trying to simplify the SQL and see how far i get..

Thanks

Regards

0
billy_111
5/4/2009 2:57:26 PM

Since the above SQL works correctly, it looks like your forum ID is actually character type.

Try

the SQL I posted above without WHERE clause first.

Then try WHERE forum_ID = '2'

If this would work, change your type of the parameter to be string.

(Donald Knuth)
0
Naom
5/4/2009 3:01:44 PM

Hey,

Yaay, i have ALMOST got it working..

My SQL is now:-

string queryStr = "SELECT (threads.thread_name) AS Thread, (threads.username) AS Author, (threads.forum_id), " +

"COUNT(posts.forum_id) AS Replies, max(posts.date_posted) AS Last_Posted FROM threads, " +

"posts WHERE threads.forum_id = posts.forum_id AND threads.forum_id = '" + id +

"' GROUP BY (threads.forum_id), (threads.thread_name), (threads.username), (posts.date_posted)";

This pulls out:-

Thread Author Replies Last_Posted
ASP.Net ole 1 25/04/2009 03:20:56
ASP.Net ole 1 25/04/2009 14:35:24
ASP.Net ole 1 25/04/2009 14:39:24
jnj kb 1 25/04/2009 03:20:56
jnj kb 1 25/04/2009 14:35:24
jnj kb 1 25/04/2009 14:39:24
kjnkjjb yuf 1 25/04/2009 03:20:56
kjnkjjb yuf 1 25/04/2009 14:35:24
kjnkjjb yuf 1 25/04/2009 14:39:24
Welcome a 1 25/04/2009 03:20:56
Welcome a 1 25/04/2009 14:35:24
Welcome a 1 25/04/2009 14:39:24

But it should be pulling out:-

Thread Author Replies Last_Posted
Welcome ole 2 25/04/2009 03:20:56
ASP.Net ole 2 25/04/2009 14:35:24
jnj ole 0
kjnkjjb kb 0

I know you have helped me enough, but do you know why this is..?

billy_111
5/4/2009 4:52:47 PM

 You now have an aggregate on posts.date_posted (the MAX function).  So.... remove (posts.date_posted) from the group by.

string queryStr = "SELECT (threads.thread_name) AS Thread, (threads.username) AS Author, (threads.forum_id), " +

"COUNT(posts.forum_id) AS Replies, max(posts.date_posted) AS Last_Posted FROM threads, " +

"posts WHERE threads.forum_id = posts.forum_id AND threads.forum_id = '" + id +

"' GROUP BY (threads.forum_id), (threads.thread_name), (threads.username)";

-George
0
gmmastros
5/4/2009 4:59:17 PM

Remove last field Posts.Date_posted from GROUP BY. You should either group on it or have an aggregate function on it, not both at once.

(Donald Knuth)
0
Naom
5/4/2009 5:04:46 PM

Thanks, this has solved the duplication but the replies and the date_posted is still wrong..

My SQL is now:-

string queryStr = "SELECT (threads.thread_name) AS Thread, (threads.username) AS Author, (threads.forum_id), " +

"COUNT(posts.forum_id) AS Replies, max(posts.date_posted) AS Last_Posted FROM threads, " +

"posts WHERE threads.forum_id = posts.forum_id AND threads.forum_id = '" + id +

"' GROUP BY (threads.forum_id), (threads.thread_name), (threads.username)";

This shows:-

Thread Author Replies Last_Posted
ASP.Net ole 3 25/04/2009 14:39:24
jnj kb 3 25/04/2009 14:39:24
kjnkjjb yuf 3 25/04/2009 14:39:24
Welcome a 3 25/04/2009 14:39:24

So what this should be is:-

Thread Author Replies Last_Posted
ASP.Net ole 2 25/04/2009 14:39:24
jnj kb 0
kjnkjjb yuf 0
Welcome a 2 25/04/2009 14:39:24

The number of replies is showing incorrectly as is the date...

I think it is the Count.?

billy_111
5/4/2009 5:12:18 PM

Your query now seems incorrect. I think you were originally joining threads with posts based on the Thread_ID. Why do you now join based on Forum_ID. Do you want to count number of posts per thread or a general number of posts in the forum?

(Donald Knuth)
0
Naom
5/4/2009 5:19:58 PM

Did you try this version from my earlier posts

"SELECT threads.thread_id, COUNT(posts.Post_id) AS Replies, max(posts.date_posted) AS LastPosted " + "FROM threads INNER JOIN posts ON threads.thread_id = posts.thread_id WHERE threads.forum_id = @forum_ID GROUP BY threads.thread_id";

(Donald Knuth)
0
Naom
5/4/2009 5:22:23 PM

Hey,

I want to count the number of posts per thread.. So you are right i need to use the thread_id.

I think i was just trying anything to see if it works to make myself happy :)

Oh well il have to deal with this type mismatch error

billy_111
5/4/2009 5:48:06 PM

Naom:

Did you try this version from my earlier posts

"SELECT threads.thread_id, COUNT(posts.Post_id) AS Replies, max(posts.date_posted) AS LastPosted " + "FROM threads INNER JOIN posts ON threads.thread_id = posts.thread_id WHERE threads.forum_id = @forum_ID GROUP BY threads.thread_id";

Just a thought. In the above SQL query posts.thread_id is not selected but is used here threads.thread_id = posts.thread_id.

Does this make a difference?

0
billy_111
5/4/2009 5:55:45 PM

Did the query work without WHERE clause?

Could it be that in one table (say, threads) the Thread_ID is numeric and in another character?

(Donald Knuth)
0
Naom
5/4/2009 5:56:16 PM

Sorry, didn't see your question. You don't have to select all fields used in JOIN condition, in fact, you don't have to select them at all.

I think you may need to get some basic knowledge about SQL and its basic components. If so, check this

http://tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1545598

(Donald Knuth)
0
Naom
5/4/2009 5:58:54 PM

Yaaay!!

Thank You so much. That now works. The thing i cannot do is implement more than one thing at the same time. Therefore to get a website made i need to be able to get one thing done to move onto the next.

It was as you said. The thread_id in one table was numeric and the other was text.

Thanks Again

I will be posting a few more threads regarding "Number of views" and adding to posts. The reason for this is that i am creating my own web services and consuming them in my actual website (Don't ask, long story)

Regards

Billy

0
billy_111
5/4/2009 6:15:47 PM

Well, congrats! At least you progressed a bit while I'm still sitting contemplating... :)

(Donald Knuth)
0
Naom

sql or my sql query
hi,in my database  i have the two tables...1)programs                                2)reservedin the programs...two fields 1)program id           2)maxseats................these details wil be entered by adminin the reserved table  two fileds ..1)PRogramid        2)statusmy requirement is .. i need the available seats..meansif any body is intersted in  any program...they wil select the program...then status becomes approved(1)..then i need the o/p as ...

Can sql queries be nested in sql queries?
I am having problems with a template that uses the information from one sql query to generate a query on another table. Let me be more specific. The template in question receives a category ID value from a web page that provides a menu of several categories to choose from. Each Category ID represents several Items or products to choose from. When the template receives the category ID, the first thing it does is run a query on my item_category table (this table lists all of the items and associates them with the appropriate category). This query returns several itemIDs that are all...

Counting Query (SQL DataSource) by Selecting Distinct
I am trying to write a SQL DataSource Statement that will do the following: Select the Distinct Dates, count up the number of rows with that date So for example: Date                Number with that Date 12/12/2007        3 14/12/2007        2 Database: 12/12/2007         Content 1 14/12/2007         Content 2 12/12/2007      &...

SQL Query , SQL or Procedural
HIHi i need some help on what the SQL query would be, let's say i have a resultant table like this. Group TestID Result A AA 10 A BB 30 A CC 20 B AB 200 B AC 300 A DD 50 C AA 1000 and i need to query by group and re-name every field as its TestID value for that selected group:  Example:if group "A" is selected: AA BB CC DD 10 30 20 50 if group "B" is selected: AB BC 200 300 and so on.. thanks.   Here is a sample for you to play with PIVOT: SELECT [...

SQL query that works in SQL Server Management Studio, but doesn't on .NET 2.0 page
SELECT favorites.FID, favorites.filename, favorites.username, files.status, files.private, files.views, files.title FROM favorites INNER JOIN files ON favorites.filename = files.filename WHERE (favorites.username = @username) AND (files.status IS NULL) AND (files.private = @private)@private is manually set to 'no'@username is set to profile.usernamewhen I run the above query in microsoft sql server mgmt studio express on the database, it presents all the information i'm asking for very easily. however when i try to implement this query on a aspx .net2.0 page with teh sqldatasourc...

Huge SQL Queries in SQL 2005
Good evening:  We're porting an old app written in ASP.NET  1.1433 and SQL 2000 to ASP.NET 2.0 and SQL 2005.  In the old app we have a few data grids that are populated from a dataset pulled from the database.  We use a SQL query that we build based on more than 10 different user inputs, the result of which is an enormously complicated SQL string.  We'd like to move this processing into a SPROC in the 2005 database. Rather than writing stored procedures to create the SQL SELECT statement, is it possible to pass an entire select state ment to a SPROC and hav...

C# Ado.net Sql query parameter query
Hi All, I'm trying to pass in a parameter value from an array in a loop that is used in a sql query and the results are populated to an xml file. The trouble is that I'm only getting the colums values in the outputted xml file. So I feel that the paramter is not being read. So can anyone help as I'm really stuck on this one. The code is as follows : public void DisplayUserInfo() { ArrayList UserIdArrayList = IdentifyUserID(); foreach(string ShowUserIDString in UserIdArrayList) { try { SqlConnection SqlConn = new SqlConnection(DBConnString)...

Sql Count query
I am trying to count a column in my tbl.  I have a table with the following,  What i am trying to do is count the number of days of dtAttendance for an individual where bitpresent  = 1.  So this individual should have 2 days of attendance.  I wrote some code belwo but it does not seem to count correctly, some it does and some it does not. intAssignedPersonnelID       intUICID       strSSN       dtAttendance       bitPresent     ...

SQL count query
what's wrong with the syntex below? Anybody Please... how do I use variable ct later? It's messy but if you are an expert, you will have an idea of what I am trying to do. Thanks.. string connectionString = "server=\'HOMEUYV5USGDIM\'; trusted_connection=true; 'inOut\'"; System.Data.IDbConnection dbConnection = new System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection(connectionString); string queryString = "SELECT [inOutLogs].[selection], COUNT([inOutLogs].[selection]) as ct FROM [inOutLogs] WHERE ([inOutLogs].[logdate] = @logdate group by [inOutLogs].selection])"; ...

sql query with count
Hi All please help me in the query. I have a master table (tblJobMaster) with fields JobId and jobAddress. The child table is tblView. I want to select JobId and jobAddress from master table and count the records(how many views) in child table related to the jobId in master table. I am using MS Sql server. what would be the query. Thanks   select jobid,jobaddress,(select count(*) from tblView where jobid = j.jobid ) as Views fromtbljobmasterGive a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him forever. Just to elaborate on the previous answer select...

Datasource Sql query
 Hi, I am a coldfusion developer, but have now moved over to ASP.NET using VS2008 Pro, so trying to learn it quickly. My problem is that I have created a datasource with a simple query and when I run it in the query builder it works fine, however when I run it on the page I get nothing. Here is my query    <asp:SqlDataSource ID="qAllTrucks" runat="server"         ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:ConnectionString %>"         ProviderName="<%$ Con...

how to connect sql server using sql query?
Hi all, Please explain how to connect sql server using sql query?. My problem is need to get the data from one server table and insert into another server tables using stored procedure. It is possible by using C# coding. But i need to do using stored procedure. becoz each server have own connection string, username and password.  Please anyone help me? Thanks in advance!!! Hi, You can create a linked server between the two databases and then fire the queries. http://www.sqlservercurry.com/2008/03/how-to-set-up-your-database-for.html   HTH,Suprotim AgarwalA...

Web resources about - RE: Count SQL Query - asp.net.sql-datasource

Count - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The word count came into English from the French comte , itself from Latin comes —in its accusative comitem —meaning "companion", and later "companion ...

Black Friday Death Count
People are nuts. ∞ Read this on The Loop

Aloha, Racism! The Supreme Court Stops The Vote Count In A Hawaii Election That Excludes White People ...
Is it legal legerdemain for the state to authorize and fully fund a racially discriminatory election while still insisting that the election ...

Today’s apps gone free: Photo Lab, iAgenda, Count Battle and more
Give your photos a whole new look, plan your events, and tap to count with todays collection of apps and games. All app prices are subject to ...

Former US Embassy staffer pleads guilty to all counts in sextortion scheme
(credit: US Embassy London ) A former staffer at the United States Embassy in London pleaded guilty Wednesday to multiple counts of stalking, ...

New York's Top Republican, Dean Skelos, Convicted On All Counts
... and extortion. He was the Republican Party Majority Leader of the state Senate. Yesterday he and the son were found guilty on all 8 counts . ...

Abbath streaming new song "Count the Dead"
... has released another song from his hotly anticipated upcoming solo debut (or basically the new Immortal album). The song is called "Count the ...

Grand Jury Indicts Officer Jason Van Dyke On 6 Counts Of Murder In Laquan McDonald Shooting
A grand jury has indicted a white Chicago police officer charged in the shooting death of black teenager Laquan McDonald.

Chicago cop indicted on 6 murder counts in Laquan McDonald slaying
Chicago Tribune Chicago cop indicted on 6 murder counts in Laquan McDonald slaying Chicago Tribune Jason Van Dyke, center, leaves the Cook ...

UC under pressure to count high school computer science toward math requirement
UC under pressure to count high school computer science toward math requirement Contra Costa Times Romeo Pittman, 15, left, and Chris Arrington ...