Problem with SP output parameter

I have the following code which works fine upto retreiving the output parameter. I know the Stored Procedure is fine. Yet the error I get is 'Object cannot be cast from DBNull to other types.' so the problem is the output parameter isn't being stored. Can anybody help me?

System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection Con = new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["OLEConnectionString"]);
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand OleDbCmdObj = new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand("Web__InsertImage ?,?,?,?,?", Con);

OleDbCmdObj.Parameters.Add("@image", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.Binary, FileLength).Value = FileByteArray;
OleDbCmdObj.Parameters.Add("@imageDescription", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.VarChar,50).Value = imageDescription.Text;
OleDbCmdObj.Parameters.Add("@contentType", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.VarChar,50).Value = image.ContentType;
OleDbCmdObj.Parameters.Add("@byteSize", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.VarChar,100).Value = image.ContentLength;
OleDbCmdObj.Parameters.Add("@imageID", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.Integer, 4);

OleDbCmdObj.Parameters[4].Direction = ParameterDirection.Output;

Con.Open();
OleDbCmdObj.ExecuteNonQuery();

int imageID = System.Convert.ToInt32(OleDbCmdObj.Parameters[4].Value);
keblin

Are you really sure the sp is correct? I ask this because the

OleDbCmdObj.Parameter[4] has a NULL value ('undefinded'). You can't convert this to an Int.
this code looks OK to me, so I think you don't assign a value to the output parameter in the sp. Maybe show the sp?
and - as a side remark - if you work with SQL server, you should use the SqlConnection instead of the OleDbConnection (in System.Data.SqlClient)
0
Dutch
10/24/2002 5:11:21 AM
if OleDbCmdObj.Parameters[4].Value return NULL value you can't convert it into Integer. So, you can write function like DBNullToNothing, which will change NULL value into "". I think it will solve your problem

Good Luck!
___________________
With best regards,
Julia Pavlova
Programmer
Rapid Internet Development
AlarIT Inc.
0
Julia
10/24/2002 5:17:23 AM
I thought you had to use OleDbConnection when dealing with images. Is this the case?
0
keblin
10/24/2002 7:54:45 AM
Don't ya love it when the problem is so simple. For all that are interested.

Original
--------------
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand OleDbCmdObj = new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand("Web__InsertImage ?,?,?,?,?", Con);
Fixed
--------------
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand OleDbCmdObj = new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand("Web__InsertImage ?,?,?,?,? output", Con);
output keyword in the sql string arghhh :)
0
keblin
10/24/2002 8:22:14 AM
I tried this and got:

Format of the initialization string does not conform to specification starting at index 63.
Is there a SQL version?
0
Alister

Web resources about - Problem with SP output parameter - asp.net.sql-datasource

Google Webmaster Tools Parameter Handling - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Alternatives to boolean parameters