need help - Database has been moved to SQL server 2000 from SQL servere 6.5

Hi there,

    I am not sure if this is the right place to seek help for the problem i have but as i don't see any other link to discuss the situation i have i am just posting it here.  To explain a little bit about the project i am on..... Originally the  appication(developed in asp.net and vb) i am assigned to was developed by a different team and most of the databases  were on  SQL server 6.5 servers. So they have used oledb connections where ever they had to connect SQL server 6.5 data sources. Lately the client has moved all of the sql server 6.5 data bases to SQL server 2000 and now the application is kinda not working as it is suppose to as it was before. So i am hired to fix the problem.

So as a first step what i am doing is finding out all of the .net oledb proivder part of the database connections code to SQL server 6.5 data sources and changing them to .NET provider for SQL server.

Say for example in the below GetConnection function i am commenting out OledbConnection and defining a SqlConnection instead.

Private Function GetConnection() As IDbConnection

'Dim conn As IDbConnection = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection

Dim conn As IDbConnection = New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection

conn.ConnectionString = Helpers.DBHelpers.GetConnectionString(Helpers.DBHelpers.COMMON)

Return conn

End Function

and also commenting out OledbDataAdapter line of code and defining a SqlDataAdapter instead. You can see it below

'Dim adapter As OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(CType(cmd, OleDb.OleDbCommand))

Dim adapter As SqlClient.SqlDataAdapter = New SqlClient.SqlDataAdapter(CType(cmd, SqlClient.SqlCommand))

And connection strings are defined in web.config file and also i am changing those as well . See below.

<!--<add key="Common" value="User ID=Test;pwd=*****;Data Source=ESMALLDB2K;Initial Catalog=cj_common;Auto Translate=True;Persist Security Info=False;Provider=&quot;SQLOLEDB.1&quot;;" />-->

<add key="Common" value="User ID=Test;pwd=*****;Data Source=ESMALLDB2K;Initial Catalog=cj_common;" />

So i hope i am in the right direction as far as the first step. But please throw in any kind of suggestions on this.

One more thing. I have a search screen and T-sql query thats built for this purpose searches 4,5 tables and brings the data back.

When i make a search from the web browser it doesn't return the data for the first couple of times but it brings the data 3rd time but even its taking as long as 60 seconds to bring the data back.  when i close the browser and debug and paste the SQL query in the query analyzer it returns the data in the query analyzer and when i complete the remaining part of debugging and bind the data to the gird i also see the data on the broswer for the first time itself.

Question : Why i don't get the data for the first time when i search it from the front(web browser)?

But like i said the executing time to the query in the query analyzer itself takes considerably long time( i would say around 60 seconds just to return 3,4 records)) in the query analyzer. When i talked to the database guys why sql queries are a little slow they say they have a lot of datat out there around 180 thousand records in it and thats why its taking that much time to search agains all of the rows.

Question - Do you think it could be some thing to do with dropping and recreating the indexes should solve our problem? May be its some thing to do with the indexes but i am sure they have not dropped out the indexes of all of the table objects and recreated yet after the databases are moved to SQL servere 2000.

Hope i am able to explaing what i am looking for and what i am doing.

Please help me understand in solving these problems. Thanks in advance

-D

0
lusty_learner

I can write 200 pages and I have not finished the differences between SQL Server 6.5 and 2000, SQL6.5 is linked list based 2000 is on disk, page in 6.5 is 256k per page, 2000 8000k,6.5 no DRI(declarative referential integrity), 2000 DRI.  Try the link below and download Neil Pike's FAQ.  My advice get a copy of the database from your client and manually clean all the files to SQL Server 2000 as you could, then backup and restore about three increaments note all the changes so you don't loose any data and then change your data provider.   BTW there is no direct upgrade from 6.5 to 2000 that may be your problem.   Hope this helps.

http://www.mssqlserver.com/faq

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre

MS SQL Server 6.5 to MS SQL Server 2000
We are migrating from MS SQL Server 6.5 to MS SQL Server 2000. We are using a Native connections and would like to know if there are any issues that we should be aware to do this correctly. TIA Adam Shepherd Are you sure about that? I have not experienced (or heard of) that kind of problem w/ 7.0. There are many other reasons why a table san is performed, but I don't think a numeric data type would cause it... Or are you talking about the PB problem of sending an Integer as 1. -- Kim Berghall Sisu Group, Inc. remove no_spam. no_spam.kberghall@sisugrp.com www.sisugrp...

Migrating SQL Server anywhere 5.5.04 to SQL Server 2000
Can anyone help in pointing me in the right direction to find out useful information on migrating a Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 database to SQL Server 2000. I cannot find any useful information about this ie known problems, processes etc. Thanks Chris wrote: > Can anyone help in pointing me in the right direction to > find out useful information on migrating a Sybase SQL > Anywhere 5.5.04 database to SQL Server 2000. I cannot find > any useful information about this ie known problems, > processes etc. If you already have a solution on SA 5 (now ASA), why are yo...

Help with SQL Server 6.5 and SQL Anywhere 5.x
Cheers: I'm working on PowerBuilder using a SQL Server 6.5 database, but sometimes I have to change to SQL Anywhere 5.3 because of it's portability, but all of the SQL instructions are created in upper case (in SQL Server), and SQL any... only recognizes this instructions in lower case, so I have to change the instructions everytime, because SQL Server does not recognize lower case either. I am trying to find about it working with DBParm, but I haven't found anything yet in the online help. Is there a way to solve this problem so I can work with both plattforms wit...

Help moving from SQL Server Express to SQL Server Developer
I built a web application using my VS2005 installation, which includes SQL Server Express. All works nicely.  However, when I tried to move this application to a system with SQL Server Developer, I cannot get it to work at all - data access receives several errors, with the most common being this one: Cannot open database "xyz.mdf" requested by the login.  The login failed.  Login failed for user 'MACHINE\ASPNET'. Here is my connection string (with specific names changed, obviously): Data source=MACHINE;Initial Catalog=xyz.mdf;Integrated Security=SSPI;User=Me;Password...

SQL Server 2005, Visual Studio Web server vs IIS 5 / 6: logging into SQL Server
If you are writing code that involves, for example, ADO.NET transactions, be aware:1) If you are using Visual Studio 2005's internal server, this uses the Windows account of the logged in user to access SQL Server 2005. Therefore your permission settings, for example denying an insert or update, will be ignored.2) If you are using IIS 5 or 6 as your Web server, the ASPNET (IIS 5) / NETWORK SERVICE (IIS 6) account is used and so your permission settings will be acted upon.Find out the Windows account being used by running SQL Profiler when debugging.Hope this helps. ...

PB 11.5 and SQL Server 2000 or SQL Server 2008
Upgrading from PB 6.5 to PB 11.5 Database is MS SQL Server 2000 compatability level is 80 Has anyone had any issues or know of any issues with PB 11.5 (3050) and MS SQL Server 2000 or MS SQL 2008? We are looking to upgrade from SQL 2000 while upgrading PB 11.5. Originally upgraing SQl Server to SQl Server 2005 but since SQL Server 2008 is out we are exploring to upgrade to the latest SQL Server. Any info will help. Thanks, Tom Rundo ...

Move from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005 with VS 2005
 We have a new database server for SQL Server 2005.  To use our old VS 2005 websites, which were connected toanother database server with SQL Server 2000, what should I do?  Just change the server name of the connection stringin the Source code and/or Web.config?  My preliminary testing seemed to be not effective.TIA,Jeffrey wonjartran:  We have a new database server for SQL Server 2005.  To use our old VS 2005 websites, which were connected toanother database server with SQL Server 2000, what should I do?  Just change the server name of the connectio...

sql server 2005 to sql server 2000
Due to certain unavoidable reasons we have to move an application from sql server 2005 to sql server 2000 (yes from 2005 to 2000).  would changing the connection string be sufficient or are there other issues involved. How hard is it going to be to get it to work? Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Yes you will need to change the connection string!However you must look very carefully at the database structure. Do two script exports of every object in the database - one for SQL2000 compatibility and one without. Compare these two scripts, if they are significantly differe...

Easiest way to move a SQL Server Express 2008 DB to SQL Server 2000?
Hello, I created an application in Visual Studio Express using the App_Data folder for my SQL Server Express 2008 database.  The machine that I have to port the application to is using SQL Server 2000.  What is the easiest way for me to take my SQL Express 2008 DB and get it onto the SQL Server 2000 machine?  I don't think that I can use Import/Export as the machines are not on the same network and cannott see one another. Thoughts? Also, are there any security issues with running SQL Server Express 2008 on the SQL Server 2000 machine?  Would there be any point? T...

SQL Server 2000 Developer vs SQL Server 2000 Standard
I have installed the SQL Server 2000 developer that came with Office XP Developer. I now have a copy of SQL Server 2000 Standard. What will happen if I try to install the standard version? Will I loss any of my current database logins or settings, etc...? Thank you for any help,Thank youJackxxx Upgrading your version of SQL Server 2000 should not result in the loss of any information that you already have set up. I believe you can/should choose "Upgrade, remove, or add components to an existing instance of SQL Server" when you go to install SQL Server 2000 Standard. TerriT...

A Problem to Connect SQL Server 2000 Through MSS MS SQL Server 6.x Interaface
Hi, We have two SQL Server 2000 database servers. I have no problem to connect serverA through MSS MS SQL Server 6.X. But I cannot connect to serverB through MSS MS SQL Server 6.X. I tried to connect to serverB through ODBC. It is connected well, but there was error message said "Catalog tables could not be created and are not available for use." My PowerBuilder version is 7.0.2 and build 8046. Mindy ...

Web resources about - need help - Database has been moved to SQL server 2000 from SQL servere 6.5 - asp.net.sql-datasource

Five million customers affected by Vtech database hack
Toy and educational material seller Vtech has revealed five million customers were affected by a hack of its app database and has also suspended ...

IDG Contributor Network: Avoiding ginormous transaction logs with SharePoint databases
... why do we see these humongous transaction logs so often? I am going to blame it on a “misunderstanding” of how Microsoft describes a full database ...

Change your passwords: NexusMods suffers database breach
... security breach by posts on reddit. Cybersecurity firm REN-ISAC had apparently contacted several university IT departments about a database ...

VTech Admits Lack of Database Security Opened Door to Hack
A SQL injection, a common software flaw, was found to be the root cause in the VTech breach.

MapR And Big Data In The World's Largest Biometric Database Project
India?s Aadhaar project is one of the world?s most ambitious big data projects, aiming to collect, store, and utilize biometric information from ...

Trump calls for surveillance of some mosques, attempts to clarify remarks on Syrian database
Trump calls for surveillance of some mosques, attempts to clarify remarks on Syrian database