MSDE Users please read!

I have just found a great tool for all you out there using MSDE for your databases who dont have acceess to the SQL Server Enterprise Manager!

Check out ASP Enterprise Manager.
It is an ASP.NET based tool for managing SQL Servers and MSDE installations. You can download the zip files from a link on their site and manage your msde installation. It allows you to add, edit and delete tables, views, stored procedures, manage logins pretty much everything you would need to do to a database.
Since this is a free tool, you would not have any possible hassles with licensing requirements like you might run into if attempting to use SQL Server Enterprise Manager with MSDE.
Wendi Fisher

MCSE, MCDBA

wafisher@tannis.com

Yahoo: wfisher263@yahoo.com

MSN: wfisher263@hotmail.com

0
Wfisher

Other alternatives:

You can download ASP.NET WebMatrix (which includes a database management tool) from this web site (click on the Web Matrix tab at the top of this page).
Also you can download the Web Data Administrator which is a free (source included!) web-based MSDE management program written 100% using C# and ASP.NET:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/code/default.asp?URL=/code/sample.asp?url=/MSDN-FILES/026/002/458/msdncompositedoc.xml

Blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/LeftSlipper/
0
eilon
1/1/2003 1:06:08 AM
Thanks for the info.  I found and loaded the tool, and have had success loading MSDE.  However, when I try to "connect to server" vial asp.net enterprise manager, i'm unable to do so.

I've not set up a password for my database, but was forced to setup a password for sa during msde installation. I try localhost, "sa" as username, and the password I supplied during installation, but to no avail It just returns to the same screen asking for:
server address
username
password
login failed...
I'm new as I'm sure you can tell- but, very anxious to get beyond this point. I've got tables to load..
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Kevin
0
jobeer
2/26/2003 2:59:31 AM
Is the MSDE login mode set correctly. It may only be set to allow trusted connections?

Check this for details of how to change it to mixed mode.
ps I think mixed is less secure, but should allow you to load ur tables

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=MSDE+change+authentication+registry&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=uZezWKumBHA.2196%40tkmsftngp07&rnum=2
0
paulfelce
2/26/2003 10:20:30 AM
After reading your help with MSDE problem with no Enterprise Manager, I downloaded the "Web Data Administrator".. The only problem is that it comes with no readme files or documentation to help with errors..

I am having the same problem as paulfelce, that after installing the WDA and going to http://localhost/SqlWebAdmin, the screen that loads is simply "Username, Password, Server" with textbox forms for all three to enter the appropriate information..
However, after using every combination possible between usernames of "admin, administrator, and 'my computer name'", four passwords including the 'default' "admin, guest, and *no password*", and for the server name using "my ip adress, my computer name, locahost, http://localhost/, and my virtual directory name" (which is 90 total combinations, and yes i tried all 90) - no success....
Have you any idea where any readme files, documentation, or further help would be located out there?
Do you have any suggestions for what I may not be doing correctly??
I thank anyone for any help they may provide
0
kuponutcom
3/9/2003 6:28:25 AM
I'm sorry you had so much trouble using Web Data Administrator. You should enter a valid SQL Server user name and password. Windows Authentication is not supported by it unfortunately. The server name should be the name of the server - either an IP address or a hostname. By default, the administrative username for a SQL server is "sa" and the password is whatever you may have chosen during installation.
Blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/LeftSlipper/
0
eilon
3/9/2003 7:38:24 AM
Now I tried all possible combos with username "sa".. no success..

any other suggestions?
0
kuponutcom
3/9/2003 3:12:13 PM
It sounds like you don't have SQL Server Authentication turned on.

Read this KB article on how to set MSDE to use SQL Server Authentication:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q322336

Blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/LeftSlipper/
0
eilon
3/9/2003 6:05:06 PM
Thanks!

The support.microsoft.com article had the fix.
I appriciate the help
later
0
kuponutcom
3/10/2003 12:50:23 PM
why would I be getting this message when trying to import a .sql backup (previously exported backup file) ??? :

There was an error importing the database. The status of the import is unknown.
Cannot use empty object or column names. Use a single space if necessary.
----the 2nd line is what baffles me, the first is just gibberish. Empty and/or column names are empty? where/how would that exist?? -wasn't the case when it worked earlier
0
kuponutcom
3/14/2003 12:55:04 AM
In the article,  the registry subkey is as follows:

Quote:
The location of the LoginMode subkey depends on whether you installed MSDE as the default MSDE instance or as a named instance.
If you installed MSDE as the default instance, the LoginMode subkey is located in the following registry subkey:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MSSqlserver\MSSqlServer\LoginMode
If you installed MSDE as a named instance, the LoginMode subkey is located in the following registry subkey:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\%InstanceName%\MSSQLServer\LoginMode
Unquote
However, the registry subkey for my MSDE is as follows:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MSSqlserver\Client
and there is no LoginMode. When I was installing MSDE, I wasn't asked for creating any password at all. I have VS.NET installed.
My problem is also login mode. I can only login in Windows Authentication (trusted connection), but not SQL Server Authentication (using userid and password).
Thanks for any help.
Blue
0
Bluemoon03
4/3/2003 5:13:17 AM
Depends on what installation you have.  How did you install MSDE?  If you installed a default installation (meaning no instance name)  you need to go to the first example fo the registry.  However, if you installed with an instance (which you did if you installed MSDE from the ASP.NET Framework quickstart examples) you need to go to the second example:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\%InstanceName%\MSSQLServer\LoginMode
so, if you have the quickstart examples version your registry key is at:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\NetSDK\MSSQLServer\LoginMode
hope that helps.
0
mrtwice99
4/3/2003 10:56:57 AM
I had install Web Data Administrator , i installed MSDE twice, the first time i installed MSDE with "setup SAPWD="xxx" SecurityMode=SQL" with no instance name, but when i tried to install Starter Kit, sql server connection failed, i search for solution here, someone said install MSDE with a instance name would solve this problem, thus i installed MSDE again, this time i istalled with "setup SAPWD="xxx" instancename="StarterKit" SecurityMode=SQL", after this installation, i can install Starter Kit successfully, and the Starter Kit work fine.

but i can't login sql server with the instance name by web data administrator,
username = sa
password = xxx
server = machine name/StarterKit(instance name)
error message:
Invalid username and/or password, or server does not exist.
Also, please ensure that SQL Server Authentication is enabled on the server.
Nevertheless, i tried to login server without instance name, it logined successfully.
how to login the instance name server?
by the way,
there is not
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\%InstanceName%\MSSQLServer\LoginMode
in regedit, i don't know why.
0
coffeecat
1/14/2004 3:30:42 AM
I have been trying all the 'free' methods of managing sql server MSDE and found the following:

ASP Enterprise Manager: Looks good, nice interface etc, but it just didn't run for me! I couldn't even get to login to sql.
Web Data Administrator: From microsoft and mentioned in this thread. This was easy to install and configure and worked first time for me. Very simple to manage general admin tasks via browser interface.
MS Access 2000: Not mentioned here before (I don't think?), but I still find this the fastest and best way to manage MSDE or any remote SQL server. Not sure how many people realise access can connect to and manage a sql database but it can and its worth looking at if you need to do this without paying for the real thing!
0
jsltd

Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection
This is my first time to deploy an asp.net2 web site. Everything is working fine on my local computer but when i published the web site on a remote computer i get the error "Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection will be closed" (only in pages that try to access the database) Help pleaseee Hi You could take a look at this : http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=152338&SiteID=1Sincerely,Young Fang Hi ...

SQL SERVER ACCESS DENIED!! BUT everything works on MSDE and works SHOWING RECORDS ON SQL SERVER!! PLEASE HELP
I've got a popular problem so i get a message that server acces denied! .. But that what is different in my error.... When i use same setting same database and connection string (on MSDE server) there is no problem... On SQL server i have got windwos authentication but i added all accounts as ASPNET and SA.... and when i try to connect by RETTO - name of my server server=RETTO;uid=sa;pwd=password;database=db1; or by Integrated Security=SSPIserver=RETTO;uid=RETTO\ASPNET;database=db1; I CAN BROWSE RECORDS THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS WITH CONNECTION!!! but when i try to update o...

Login failed for user 'Bachelorplace'. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)
please tellme how to resolve this error, i m using server studio management tool. and trying to connect using sql server authentication. my pc is over a domain.   Login failed for user 'Bachelorplace'. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)  check whether that sql server is allowing sqlauthentication or not.select that server -> right click it-> select  properties  -> in the window, select security -> check what is the server authentication. it should be  sqlserver and windows authentica...

Please Help *** Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path
Hi all hope some one can help - please bear with me new to this Basically I have had to change pc's so I copied and pasted my ASPNET.MDF and LDF from my old pc to new PC including webpages/apps etc.. created. However now all I get is "Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path """" Just don't understand what permissions the db should have, does it need to match the SQL Express owner...   any help would be most appreciated   Thanks   Chris  &n...

A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of user-defined routine or aggregate -While creating a SQL SERVER 2005 Stored prodecure in VS.NET 2005
 Running [dbo].[insertlogin] ( @log = hiten, @pas = hiten ).A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of user-defined routine or aggregate "insertlogin": System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Must declare the scalar variable "@Log".System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException:    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionSmi.EventSink.Pro...

This thread for all users , please read!!!!
Hi There!!! I have been using this forum for 4 months. When you ask a question and you solve that problem, it will be beneficiable for us to confirm that has been solved and thank people who help you. I think the main purpose of this forum to share knowledge so, it will be great if you solve the problem to give a 30 second of your time to say "Thanks for your help, I solve it" and me as a reader for this thread i can tell this is the right solution for the posted problem. I think you agree with me!! Thanks Fadil Alnassar www.fadilalnassar.com | FREE Nodil Tab Contr...

ObjectStar Users Please Read!
Hello all, I would appreciate any information, good or bad, on using ObjectStar with PowerBuilder. We have the product inhouse and have been directed to use it. I would like to hear any real life experences with the product. From what I have seen of the product it's ugly!! TIA, Randy ...

Objectstar Users Please Read!!
Hello all, I would appreciate any information, good or bad, on using ObjectStar with PowerBuilder. We have the product inhouse and have been directed to use it. I would like to hear any real life experences with the product. From what I have seen of the product it's ugly!! TIA, Randy ...

CodeWarrior users please read...
If you're tired of having to step outside of CodeWarrior to work on your embedded SQL, we have some CodeWarrior plugins that integrate the sqlpp/ulgen building process right into your project's make facility, including error message reporting and handling multiple .sqc files in a single project. The plugins are ready for beta, so if you'd like to try it out send me some mail. We're looking for some feedback to see if this is worth rolling into a future release, and to find and fix any bugs in the plugins. Note that you'll need to upgrade your CodeWarrior R5 to Pa...

Transmission users please read
Had several problems with the version of Transmission found on the packman repos: wouldn't open torrents from FF when already open (would say that Transmission is already running) wouldn't save to preferred folder I fixed this by uninstalling, removing packman repository from the list and reinstalling the older version that was in the oss repo. The newer version does not play well with 11.1 -- michaeldaley13 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ * michaeldaley13, thanks for the information! Please tell people on the pack...

Why does a simple select query in Microsoft Access return the error [Intersolv][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]ct_results(): user api layer: internal client library error: Read from the server has
I have applied the information from support document 10447954 but that does not solve the problem. I am running a simple select query with one criteria from one table. Thanks. ...

Why does a simple select query in MS Access return the error: [Intersolv][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]ct_results(): user api layer: internal client library error: Read from the server has timed
I have applied the information contained in support document 10447954. That did not resolve the problem. I am running a simple query with one criteria and one table Thanks. Hi Bill, The doc refers to a different ODBC driver (for DirectConnect product) so you might have a completely different problem. The message implies you are using ODBC 12.0 (Client Library based) or prior since the message indicates CtLib info. You might want to post more details involved with getting to this error. You also might want to post exact versions of ASE and ODBC driver, including Open ...

MSDE from SQL Server... ODBC and Datasource
Hello to everybody! I wrote teh next: <<< I have an aplication in Power Builder and my database is in SQL Server,= =20 but=20 i need to use MSDE for my aplication in many points. But i don't know how=20 to connect the aplication with MSDE using code script. I did use the next=20 code in the open of my aplication, but this is not correct. sqlca.dbms =3D 'MSS' sqlca.servername =3D 'cruiseco' sqlca.database =3D 'mrshoe=5Fcony' sqlca.logid =3D 'sa' sqlca.logpass =3D '' CONNECT using sqlca; Obviously my PC is cruiseco, my...

Web resources about - MSDE Users please read! - asp.net.sql-datasource

Sean Penn Under Investigation After Meeting With El Chapo Guzman After Prison Escape
Sean Penn reportedly helped Mexican marines capture Joaquín Archivaldo “El Chapo” Guzmán, but there’s just one problem – he allegedly had no ...

Leonardo DiCaprio's 'The Revenant' scores at box office, but 'Star Wars' still No. 1
The new Leonardo DiCaprio revenge movie "The Revenant" enjoyed much stronger-than-expected business at the box office as the brutal epic expanded ...

Woman raped by five men in New York City park, police say
WPEC Woman raped by five men in New York City park, police say Reuters NEW YORK Five men took turns raping a woman in a Brooklyn park after ...

Trump: Kim Jong-Un Deserves Credit For Consolidating His Power
I wish I could say I was surprised by this, but as Gawker pointed out in their article, this isn't the first time we've heard Trump sing the ...

Bengals lose discipline, poise late in chippy wild-card loss to Steelers
ESPN Bengals lose discipline, poise late in chippy wild-card loss to Steelers ESPN CINCINNATI A quote from Cincinnati Bengals founder and ...

Syrian refugee among first lady's guests for State of Union
WASHINGTON (AP) — A Syrian refugee is among those invited to sit in first lady Michelle Obama's visitor box to watch the State of the Union address ...

Drink like the stars: A Golden Globes drinking game
Awards season is upon us, and with it, months of enduring stamina for putting up with Hollywood B.S. What better awards show to test our B.S. ...

In Oregon standoff, local sheriff embraces the spectacle
Los Angeles Times In Oregon standoff, local sheriff embraces the spectacle Los Angeles Times When Harney County Sheriff David Ward met with ...

As foreign crises pile up, Obama seen taking few risks in final year
By Matt Spetalnick WASHINGTON (Reuters) - As Barack Obama prepares to deliver his final State of the Union address on Tuesday night, the U.S. ...