MS SQL stored procedures inside another stored procedure

Hi,

 Do you know how to write stored procedures inside another stored procedure in MS SQL.

Create procedure spMyProc inputData varchar(50)

AS

 ----- some logical

 procedure spMyProc inputInsideData varchar(10)

AS

   --- some logical

  ---  go

-------

0
tobyhong

What exactly are tou trying to do?

***********************
Dinakar Nethi
Life is short. Enjoy it.
***********************
0
ndinakar
6/17/2007 1:30:15 AM

Like Function, you can have one function inside another another function.

Function1 ()

{

   Function2()

}

How about store procedure ?

spProc1

{

   spProc2

}

how to write it with correct syntax?

0
tobyhong
6/17/2007 12:40:00 PM

What do you mean by "having" a proc inside another proc? Execute a proc or create a proc? You can definetely call another proc but creating a proc from a proc is a very very bad idea.

***********************
Dinakar Nethi
Life is short. Enjoy it.
***********************
0
ndinakar
6/17/2007 4:03:16 PM

But, it is easy to migration. for example, currently, I have a base procedure and associated with several (5) satellite procedures, every time I have tell DBA, all of 6 proc.. I want to put into one.

0
tobyhong

First, just as ndinakar said, I also think it's not good to create a proc from a proc. You may create your procedure separately call your satellite procedures in your base procedure.

Second, if you really want to migratie all the procedures, then just put all the logic process code into one procedure, but it's also not a good way compared with the first method.

Thanks.

Michael Jin.
Microsoft Online Community Support

Nai

Calling a stored procedure inside another stored procedure (or "nested stored procedures")
Hi all - I'm trying to optimized my stored procedures to be a bit easier to maintain, and am sure this is possible, not am very unclear on the syntax to doing this correctly.  For example, I have a simple stored procedure that takes a string as a parameter, and returns its resolved index that corresponds to a record in my database. ie exec dbo.DeriveStatusID 'Created' returns an int value as 1 (performed by "SELECT statusID FROM statusList WHERE statusName= 'Created')  but I also have a second stored procedure that needs to make reference to&n...

SQL Stored Procedure Issue
This is the Stored Procedure below ->  SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON GOSET ANSI_NULLS ON GO /****** Object:  Stored Procedure dbo.BPI_SearchArchivedBatches    Script Date: 5/18/2007 11:28:41 AM ******/if exists (select * from dbo.sysobjects where id = object_id(N'[dbo].[BPI_SearchArchivedBatches]') and OBJECTPROPERTY(id, N'IsProcedure') = 1)drop procedure [dbo].[BPI_SearchArchivedBatches]GO /****** Object:  Stored Procedure dbo.BPI_SearchArchivedBatches    Script Date: 4/3/2007 4:50:23 PM ******/ /****** Object:  Stored Proc...

SQL Stored Procedure to MySQL Stored Procedure Conversion
Hi, I am trying to convert a stored procedure written for sql to one that will work in mysql. I understand that I have to set the variables as IN , but I don't know what to do with the rest of the code. The following is the sql stored procedure that I am trying to convert to msql stored procedure: CREATE PROCEDURE Register_User (@userName Varchar(50), (@PassWord Varchar(50), (@FirstName Varchar(50), (@LastName Varchar(50) ) AS IF EXISTS(SELECT u_ID FROM User_ID Where u_UserName=@UserName) RETURN -1 ELSE INSERT User_ID( u_User...

calling a store procedure inside another stored procedure
CREATE PROCEDURE `sp_test`.`proc_tot_record`(FK_sites_COL INT ) BEGIN SELECT COUNT(*) FROM tbl_virtual_drive WHERE tbl_virtual_drive.FK_sites = FK_sites_COL; END CREATE PROCEDURE `test`.`paging_with_param`(FK_Sites_COL INT, Start_Limit_COL INT, End_Limit_COL INT) BEGINPREPARE STMT FROM "SELECTtbl_virtual_drive.PK_virtual_drive,tbl_virtual_drive.file_name,tbl_virtual_drive.file_extension,tbl_virtual_drive.FK_sitesFROMtbl_virtual_driveWHEREtbl_virtual_drive.FK_sites = ?ORDER BYtbl_virtual_drive.file_nameLIMIT ?,?";EXECUTE STMT USING @FK_Sites, @Start_Limit, @End_Limit...

sql count using stored procedure withing stored procedure
I have a stored procedure that among other things needs to get a total of hours worked. These hours are totaled by another stored procedure already. I would like to call the totaling stored procedure once for each user which required a loop sort of thing for each user name in a temporary table (already done) total = result from execute totaling stored procedure Can you help with this Thanks It would be easier if you can change the stored procedure into a function. Once you do that, the total can be calculated easily with something like thisSelect Sum(dbo.CalculateHours(User...

How to convert Sql Server Stored Procedures into Oracle Stored Procedures
Hi All, I am migrating from sql server2000 to oracle. I have moved all table into oracle manually. Now I need to move stored procedure. I don't know how to convert sql server stored procedure into oracle stored procedure form. Is there any tool which will convert directly. Please some one help me. Thank you.    Hi there,Please use the tool bellow, which does the job you want. http://www.swissql.com/products/sqlserver-to-oracle/sql-server-to-oracle.html thanks sharp guy...

call one stored procedure from inside another stored procedure
How do you call one stored procedure from inside another stored procedure and return a value?Does this hinder performance?Which is better, do it as above, or have a .NET method calling the stored procedure A, getting the value it returns and then passing it to stored procedure B?  You can use "EXEC your stored procedure name" in a stored procedure to call another stored procedure and this way will be faster than call A and then B from web app.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Cheers JimmyM, thanks for that. How can I pass parameters from o...

How to run a sql stored in a variable inside a stored procedure ?
Hi, I am having a situation that needs a sql to be run in a stored procedure, stored in a local variable. Basically the where clause is constructed based on certain criteria. If anybody knows a workaround for this please let me know. Thanks in advance Ganesh Salem After adding your servername to sysservers database and creating a remote account, you can use remote procedure calls to the same server itself. For more information on creating a remote user account and adding your servername to sysservers system table please see your software documentation. Gokhan DEMIR ...

VB.NET SQL stored procedure: procedure has no parameters and arguments were supplied
VB.NET SQL stored procedure: procedure has no parameters and arguments were supplied Please assist me:This erorr message is produce when calling the stored procedure in vb.netProcedure AutomateMatterNumber has no parameters and arguments were supplied."MS SQL 2000stored procedure:*/CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.AutomateMatterNumber ASDECLARE @nextMtr AS BIGINTDECLARE @dtToday AS DATETIMEIF NOT EXISTS(SELECT * FROM tempMatter WHERE DATEDIFF(dd,DateSet,GETDATE())=0 )BEGINDELETE FROM tempMatter-- incase there are some old recordsSELECT TOP 1 @nextMtr= CONVERT(BIGINT, MatterNumber) + 1 ,@dtTod...

Calling a stored procedure from another stored procedure
Hello, I am now using Interbase again for a project and I am trying to do this: begin /* Procedure Text */ /* Steps: - Verify if protocol exists and fetch protocol id - add activity - add document - add activity protocol reeturn document id */ select id from protocols where protocols.protname = :protocol into :protid; /* protocol exists? Gooooood! */ if ( :protid is not null ) then begin execute addactivity(:userid,'New document') returning_values :actid; execute adddocument( :docname,:docpath...

Call as stored procedure from another stored procedure
I am using a stored procedure (SP_A) to insert rows to a table. This is done by the cursor within the procedure. Value for one of the column is provided by SP_B. My problem is that when i call SP_B in SP_A it does not return any value (rather i do not know how to capture it from SP_A). If executed individually it returns a value. Please help with example if something specific needs to be taken care. Suresh wrote: > > Please help with example if something specific needs to be > taken care. Please always post the version and build number of ASA that you are using (e....

Calling stored procedure from another stored procedure
Is it possible to call one sp from another sp?I've been hunting around for an example to do this and just can't seem to find one.Anyone have a link for this or a sample?Thanks all,Zath Yes, you can. Just use EXEC usp_secondStoredProc @params inside your first SP.Nick...

Call stored procedure from another stored procedure?
How do I call this stored procedure: CREATE Procedure hentSpecialPris ( @varenr int, @cvr int, @pris decimal(7,2) OUTPUT ) AS DECLARE @antal int SET @antal = 0 SET @antal = (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM rabat WHERE varenr=@varenr and cvr = @cvr) IF @antal < 1 BEGIN SET @pris = (SELECT pris FROM vare WHERE varenr=@varenr) END ELSE BEGIN SET @pris = (SELECT pris FROM rabat WHERE varenr=@varenr and cvr = @cvr) END GO from another stored procedure?? I want to get the output value of the stored procedure? ...

how to call stored procedure from another stored procedure?
is it possible to call a stored procedure from another stored procedure?-keeara g------------------ Inside your first Stored Procedure: exec <name of SP to run> <Eventual Parameters this SP requires> Here is a link to all you want to know about executing SPs from other SPs. You can even Execute SPs on other SQL Servers.RegardsAndre Colbiornsen ---------------------------------Seventh DayRåbygatan 1A,SE-223 61 LundSwedenMob.: +46-(0)708-97 78 79Mail: info@seventhday.se--------------------------------...

Web resources about - MS SQL stored procedures inside another stored procedure - asp.net.sql-datasource

Procedure is more a snap than a snip

NFL security procedures in question after rappelling protesters
Two protesters with sophisticated gear disrupted the Panthers-Colts game in Charlotte Monday night, bringing into question security at the stadium ...

Kim Zolciak Shares Glam Post-Heart Surgery Selfie, Calls Procedure 'a Success'
Kim Zolciak Shares Glam Post-Heart Surgery Selfie, Calls Procedure 'a Success'

Robust Growth In Procedures, Beneficial Product Mix Drive Intuitive Surgical's Strong Q3 Performance
The company’s non-GAAP gross margin improved by over 2 percentage points year-on-year due to higher average selling prices, cost savings, and ...

US AIRPORT SECURITY CONCERNS DHS to heighten procedures in light of Russian jet bombing theory, poor ...
US AIRPORT SECURITY CONCERNS DHS to heighten procedures in light of Russian jet bombing theory, poor test performances by TSA screeners

Concession: Ryan promises Freedom Caucus he’ll delay discussion of reforming procedure for removing the ...
Compromise. Like I said this morning, it sounds like they did a little horse-trading at their summit. Ryan wants them to give up their right ...