Move large table from DB to DB

I have a table of approx 1/2 million rows.

On a nightly basis, this table gets rebuilt in a temporary database. Once the table has been built and scrubbed, i need to move it into our webservers db.
I'd like to do this with minimal interuption to the website.
Possible techniques:
1) I could set up a DTS package to copy the table object overwriting the destination table
2) I could export to a flat file and then bulk import into the live table (after truncating it)
3) I could run a process to update smaller chunks of data at a time running delete queries and insert queries.
Anybody have a thought on the best way to do this so that the web users would be virtually unaware that anything was happening ?
Mike Banavige
~~~~~~~~~~~~
mbanavige

Is the webserver's db.. like at a remote location?

I'd go with loading that temp db to another temp db on the webserver, and reverse engineer it.
Kay Lee
MySpace.com - http://www.myspace.com/kragie
Infrastructure Group
MySpace.com

- Code to live, but Live to code.
0
KraGiE
3/3/2004 4:43:01 PM
The temp DB is on the same SQL server as the webservers DB.

so the questions remains.....
What's the best way to move a table from DB to DB with minimal interuption to the user?
Mike Banavige
~~~~~~~~~~~~
mbanavige
3/4/2004 2:38:41 PM
I use DTS for almost the same thing, but my table is < 1gig.  I dont notice any slowdown, but I probably only have 5 current users at any instance.
http://www.heliosfx.com
0
mxmissile
3/4/2004 3:12:35 PM
are you object copying or bulk inserting ?
Mike Banavige
~~~~~~~~~~~~
mbanavige

Transfering tables and data from one MS SQL DB to another MS SQL DB
I need to transfer tables and data from one SQL DB to another SQL DB. I know it can be done with Server Management Studio and I have searched Studio and Help but can't find any info on the database migration wizard. Hi,jayd  Follow This Link U can Get Help From This For Ur Case    http://forums.asp.net/t/1352620.aspx   PLZ MARK AS ANSWER IF IT HELP U. THANKS. RAGHAV MVP ASP/ASP.Net Read My Blog MARK THE POST AS ANSWER IF IT HELPS U. "Success doesn't come to you…you go to it."--Marva Collins "Success does not come to those who w...

How to move data from AIX db to Linux db, same DB Version
Is there an easy way to do this for an entire database? BCP is giving me problems and the database has 234 tables, 281 Stored procedures, etc etc. I need data, indexes, sp, etc. The database dump command seems to dump to binary compatibility only. Any help is greatly appreciated. This problem has been bugging me for about 3 weeks now and its about to become one of those urgent, priority one problems which management just loves. TIA, Bill BMC Sqlbacktrack has a logical dump feature which does a good job, but the sqlbacktrack license may not be cheap. Using DBSchema and b...

BCP Sybase SQL Server db to SQL Anywhere db?
Anyone, I am searching for an automated way to take an entire Sybase SQL Server db on a Unix server and get it into a Sybase SQL Anywhere db on my laptop. I dont feel like going table by table through the Pipeline not to mention that I have RI proplems with this approach as well. Ideally, I would like to have explained to me a way to perform a BCP from the Unix SQL Server world into the windows based SQL Anywhere world. If this is even possible. The model itself is not as important as the data because we use ERwin and I am able to forward engineer the model onto the SQL Anywhe...

[...]

Convert Existing User DB to Net .net MemberShip DB
Hey, Im looking to take my current Users DB and put those records into the new .net membership DB. I looked at the Membership Create User SP but im not sure if that sp is the only procedure that gets called when creating a user. I was wondering if any one else has had to do this and how should i go about it. I have about 100 users that i need to copy over. Thanks. This article has a bunch of links to Membership and security information in ASP.NET: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/02/24/438953.aspx For migrating 100 users over, you might just find it easiest to create a ...

C# function/method to synchronize Data in Oracle DB when SQL Server DB Table data changes
Hi Like to take help in implementing below functionality between Oracle Database and SQL Server may be using C# function Requirement It is required to update/synchronize data in Oracle DB Table when data in Table on SQL Server changes/updated. Solution: Option 1) using SQL Server Integration Services : It is feasible to use SSIS and a Trigger on Table in Oracle to update Table. Option 2) writing a C# function/method to connect to SQL Server DB first and read updates from Table, store them in DataTable. write changes/updates to Table in Oracle Database T...

DB accessing problems after moving the DB
Hi guysI just moved my system from a workstation to a notebook. So far so good. But that's the beginning of my trouble. I backed up all databases I need for my developing work installed the SQL Server (Dev Edition) on the notebook an restored the databases. Following to that I enabled the Shared Memory, the TCP/IP and the Named Pipes for the Instance. When I now try to run an ASP.Net Website using one of my databases I'm getting this error message:Cannot open database "DatabaseName" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\user.name'. ...

Moving JIRA DB to Bugzilla DB...
Hi, I need to move a JIRA DB to a Bugzilla DB. Is there any direct method to do this? The only way I see to do this is the following: * Dump JIRA DB to XML document using the JIRA export * Translate the JIRA XML document to Bugzilla XML document using XSL * Import Bugzilla XML document into Bugzilla The real work is the translation step. Is this the best method? Regards, John Kirchner jkirchner@austin.rr.com jkirchner@austin.rr.com wrote: > The only way I see to do this is the following: > * Dump JIRA DB to XML document using the JIRA export > * Translat...

Convert from Access DB to SQL DB....
Dear All,  I would like to convert from Access To SQL DB undervisual Studio.Net 2005... How can I do it easily, or if there any software to do this automaticlly, please your help..  Awaiting your valuable reply. Many thanks in advance for your cooperation and continuous support....Aح What version of MS Access are you using?Most of the Access versions like XP/2003 all have an upgrade wizard that allows you to convert your existing database to SQL Server.In Access 2003 I believe you can use the Upsizing Wizard which can be accessed from Tools -> Database Utilities -> Upsi...

How to connect Sql DB and Oracle DB?
Hi guys, how can i make my sql database read and store data from Oracle db?because my system reads data from sql database.. but some data need to be read from oracle and stored in sql database so the system can retrieve them from the sql database.. can anyone help me in this case? i don't know how to connect 2 different databases ... ASP.NET/VB.NET Regards,Nina@~ Why Would We Hurt Each Other, When LOVE is All We Need ~@ You create Linked Server to connect both systems, run a search for sp_linkedservers and  sp_addlinkedserver  in SQL Server BOL (books online). Hope ...

Access DB instead of SQL DB?
Hi folks, Is it possible to set up a Membership-Type Access DataBase in the same manner as an SQL DataBase with ASP.NET automatically configuring all of the DataBase components so that the DataBase will be the same as an SQL DataBase? In other words, could I do something like create an empty .mdb file, put it in the App_Data folder, and ASP.NET will set up the Tables, Views, Functions, etc. and configure it as I add the Login, Password, etc. Controls? Many Thanks. hypercode: Hi folks, Is it possible to set up a Membership-Type Access DataBase in the...

access db to sql db rewright
I am changing a page from Access to SQL express database.  I usually use Dreamweaver Datasets and no problem with them but my hit counter is different.  Can someone rewright this code to work with a SQL database?  If t is possable to use it with a dreamweaver dataset that would be even better but i will take what I can get to learn. ThanksRusty  _________________________________________________________________ <%@ Page Language="vb" Debug=false %><%@ import Namespace="System.Data.OLEDB" %><%@ import Namespace="System.Drawing.Imag...

Watcom SQL DB (RE7.DB)
All, I am trying to convert data from an old SQL Anywhere format (Watcom SQL became SQL Anywhere in the mid 90's) for a non profit agency to SQL Anywhere 11. Their old format from way back when appears to be in Watcom 4.0 SQL format. However, I cant seem to find any tool (SQL Anywhere 9 couldnt access it) to read in this data format and I need to merge this data with their new system. Anyone know any tools or anything that can read in data from a RE7.DB that is stored in Raisers Edge fundraising system. I have pulled my hair out trying to do this. I would love to hear any ...

Web resources about - Move large table from DB to DB - asp.net.sql-datasource

Guam's At-large congressional district - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
6.9% White , 0.1% Black , 28.6% Asian , 2.2% Hispanic , 0.0% Native American , 56.4% other All districts: At-large See also: Guam's past and ...

North shore 'powerlifter' Bektash Keshavarzi charged with large scale drug supply
A unemployed body builder has allegedly&nbsp;been supplementing his lifestyle by becoming a major drug kingpin&nbsp;on the north shore.

Suspects who shot at park rangers caught after large search, OCSD says
Two suspects were apprehended Tuesday evening after one of them allegedly shot at park rangers in Dana Point, triggering a massive search, officials ...

How to get a 'very large' SMSF balance
There are more than 1000 self-managed super accounts with balances of more than $10 million, and nearly 40,000 with at least $2 million. Here's ...

How One New Yorker Lives Large in Only 300 Square Feet — Refinery 29
Pin it New Yoker Dustin O'Neal has a very stylish apartment, and it's only 300 square feet. Recently Dustin realized, as he was taking a new ...

VMware, EMC Rise as Bloomberg Says Considering Large Buyback
Shares of VMware (VMW) are up 58 cents, or 1%, at $60.20, and shares of EMC (EMC) are up 19 cents, or 0.7%, at $26.11, following an article this ...

Large sinkhole forces officials to evacuate neighborhood
Florida hole estimated to be 40 feet wide, 20 feet deep

Obamacare looms large in shutdown
A sticking point in the end-of-year spending fight in Congress involves money, symbolism, Obamacare and presidential politics.

Skinheads ‘Martyrs Day’ Event In Seattle Bring Out Large Crowd Of Counter-Protesters
... .] Maybe it was the rain, which came down in buckets all day Sunday in Seattle. Or maybe it was the massive crowd of over 500 people, a large ...

Korea large area AMOLED manufacturing equipment market to record US$ 8.64 billion for next 5 years, says ...
The complementary investment market in Korea for OLED manufacturing equipment is expected to record US$8.64 billion between 2016-2020, according ...