Move from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005 with VS 2005

 We have a new database server for SQL Server 2005.  To use our old VS 2005 websites, which were connected to
another database server with SQL Server 2000, what should I do?  Just change the server name of the connection string
in the Source code and/or Web.config?  My preliminary testing seemed to be not effective.

TIA,
Jeffrey

0
wonjartran

wonjartran:

 We have a new database server for SQL Server 2005.  To use our old VS 2005 websites, which were connected to
another database server with SQL Server 2000, what should I do?  Just change the server name of the connection string
in the Source code and/or Web.config?  My preliminary testing seemed to be not effective.

TIA,
Jeffrey

Technically, it should work as long as : proper data migration is done from 2000 to 2005. Make sure that sql 2005 is properly configured to accept remote requests and also configured with the same security credentials. Now chnge the server name and test. My response is based on the limited info you have posted and generic nature of the question.

Regards, Sreenivas (Vasu) Chaparala
ps:Unless a question, this is an attempt to provide guidance. Turning this into a solution, if required, is ones own responsibility. Expecting the entire solution as-is is inappropriate for any professional.
0
vasuvani
5/31/2008 3:09:54 AM

Thanks.  Have successfully run the VS 2005 websites on one of my SQL 2005 databases.

I checked the <connectionStrings> in web.config (No Integrated Security=True for local IIS websites).
Then checked ConnectionString in SqlDataSource to fit the Authentication mode of the SQL Server security.

0
wonjartran

Moving SQL Server 2005 Database to SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi, I have SQL Server 2005 in my Development machine but the hosting server has only SQL server 2005 Express. I was wondering if I develop the DB in SQL server 2005 would be able to move/deploy it to SQL Server Express in the production server? If so how? Can I just generate the script and then run it on the productions server? Or there is a better/easier way? Thanks in advanceShuaib----------------------- I don't anticipate any problems creating database in SQL Server 2005 and moving it to Express. If you need to generate the script to create an empty shell (no d...

SQL Server 2005 Express vs SQL Server 2000
We just upgraded to Zenworks Patchlink 6.3. We already have SQL Server 2000, but I noticed in Patchlink's Recommended PLUS Configuration article they recommend SQL Server 2005 Express. Isn't that the newest version of MSDE and isn't it free? Is it truly better for us to go to SQL Server 2005 Express than to use SQL Server 2000? An interesting question: I wonder if any figures are available - I know that 2005 Express is /enough/ to run ZPM 6.3... -- Shaun Pond ...

sql server 2005 to sql server 2000
Due to certain unavoidable reasons we have to move an application from sql server 2005 to sql server 2000 (yes from 2005 to 2000).  would changing the connection string be sufficient or are there other issues involved. How hard is it going to be to get it to work? Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Yes you will need to change the connection string!However you must look very carefully at the database structure. Do two script exports of every object in the database - one for SQL2000 compatibility and one without. Compare these two scripts, if they are significantly differe...

SQL server 2005 and SQL server 2005 lite
Hi, I have a web site hosted at a hosting company.. I'm in the process of designing a web site which has some forms that are going to hit a database, etc.. for a small company.. This small company has it's own Web server, and when I'm finished I'll copy the finsihed product to their IIS web server, etc.. Well, I have SQL server 2005 full edition as part of my web hosting, but I'm going to have to use SQL server Lite for the end user / client since they don't have SQL server. So, I'm wondering if I can do my work on MY remote host using the full edition of SQL server 2005, and then copy to th...

sql server 2000 , sql server 2005 express
Hi, currently I m using vs studio 2005 to develop a in house web application... The problem is tat my company has only sql server 2000 license... n when creating the application cos vs studio comes together w sql server 2005 express, so i used it to develop the application. However, i tink there are compatibiliy issues with both databases. I used sql 2005 express mainly because in vs studio 2005 there are the LOGIN tools in which i cant create and they come mapped to databases created using sql 2005 express... so is there any compatibility issues when i deploy this application? and if so, is...

Web resources about - Move from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005 with VS 2005 - asp.net.sql-datasource

CRTC Issues First-Ever Warrant To Take Down Toronto-Based Malware Server 4
TORONTO — The CRTC has issued its first warrant under the federal government's anti-spam legislation to take down a Toronto-based malware server ...

Attack floods Internet root servers with 5 million queries a second
Enlarge (credit: rootservers.org ) Early last week, one of the most vital organs of the Internet anatomy came under an unusual attack. On two ...

Server shipments, vendor revenue go up in Q3 2015
In the third quarter of 2015, worldwide server shipments grew 9.2 percent from the third quarter of 2014, while vendor revenue increased 7.5 ...

Bloodborne servers taken down for 'emergency maintenance'
An exploit and other "serious issues" have been detected.

Facebook releases design for its souped-up A.I. server, 'Big Sur'
Facebook is releasing the hardware design for a server it uses to train artificial intelligence (A.I.) software, allowing other companies exploring ...

FBI Director: Obama ‘Certainly’ Would Not Have Received A Briefing On Hillary’s Server Investigation
FBI Director: Obama ‘Certainly’ Would Not Have Received A Briefing On Hillary’s Server Investigation

Hyperscale infrastructure and server-based storage continue to drive spending in enterprise storage ...
... (ODMs) that sell directly to hyperscale datacenters. This portion of the market was up 23.4% on year to US$1.3 billion. Sales of server-based ...

Server Files Sexual Harassment Complaint Against Pigalle Restaurant
... restaurant Pigalle is being accused of sexual harassment by a waitress , who says that management implied her jeans were "too much." The server ...

Hyper-V, PowerShell Top IT Pros' Windows Server 2016 Wish List
Container support is nice, but most IT pros are looking forward to Hyper-V virtualization updates and new PowerShell capabilities.