Hi, I have an application developed using VWD and sqlserver express database. The express database is turning out to be small in size and we need to migrate to larger sqlserver 2005 database. What are the steps for this migration, please list in detail.

Regards, Sandy

http://www.thequinn.info
http://www.sksdataservices.com
http://www.infobasket.info
0
sandyxyz2000

Hi Sandy,

To move a database from SQL Express to SQL 2005, you can use the following steps.

1. If your database file is attached to the server instance, you will need to detach it first using SQL management studio. If it is under App_Data folder and attached automatically by ASP.NET, just ignore this step.
2. Copy it to the new location as you like
3. Attach the file to the new server.
4. Modify your connection string to point to the new server, new database.

HTH. If this does not answer your question, please feel free to mark the post as Not Answered and reply. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Kevin Yu
Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Mark as Not Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
0
Kevin

Moving SQL Server 2005 Database to SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi, I have SQL Server 2005 in my Development machine but the hosting server has only SQL server 2005 Express. I was wondering if I develop the DB in SQL server 2005 would be able to move/deploy it to SQL Server Express in the production server? If so how? Can I just generate the script and then run it on the productions server? Or there is a better/easier way? Thanks in advanceShuaib----------------------- I don't anticipate any problems creating database in SQL Server 2005 and moving it to Express. If you need to generate the script to create an empty shell (no d...

Restoring a SQL Server Express 2005 Database to SQL Server Standard 2005
Hello,If I backup and restore an express database to sql server 2005 standard, will there still be limitations in regards to the database size, cpu...etc.? Thanks,Jon  I suppose that no. Limitations are connected to SQL engine not to database itself. But probably if your database will grow up connected to SQL Standard and you will try to move it back to SQL express you will be in trouble.  ThanksJPazgier...

How migrate SQL server 2000 database to SQL Server 2005 Express
I  have a  SQL server 2000 database.I have to migrate it to SQL Server 2005 Express.But I don't know how to do. Is any one can help me ? Thanks You can detach the database using sp_detach_db and then re-attach it to your SSE instance using sp_attach_db.  This should work seamlessly, but back up first, just in case.Adam MachanicSQL Server MVP...

Migrate Database from SQL Server 2005 beta 3 to Sql Server 2005 Release
Do you now, How can I move database with datas to release version of sql server? Procedores backup/restore can't help becouse of unsuported version database. Any ideas? What about generate a schema script?  Then run an install of your schema in a new query.  You could at least get the db schema but not the data.Eric RamseurRainbow Portal 2.0 AdminDownload Rainbow 2.0!!Rainbow Code Rainbow Portal CommunityC# 2005 Group but I have many datas...

If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly?
If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly? Thanks! Hi asdpai, I am not sure if I catch your meaning.But if you want to upgrade the SQL Server 2005 Express to SQL Server 2008 Express, you may refer to the following link: Version and Edition Upgradeshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspxHow to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2008 (Setup)http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144267.aspxJian KangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to mark the replies as answers if t...

How to convert a SQL Server 2005 Database to SQL Server Express
Hi, I have a SQL Server 2005 Database that I would like to export to SQL Server Express. How do I go about this? I've tried backing it up, creating a new (blank) SQL Server Express Database and trying to restore it, but get the following message: TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio------------------------------ Restore failed for Server 'PRODSOL-LAPTOP1\SQLEXPRESS'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo) For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.2047.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOp...

How to connect to Remote SQL Server database using SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi,I've an account with a hosting service provider online for SQL Server database. I've downloaded SQL Server 2005 Express from ASP.Net. How can I use it to connect to my SQL Server Database which is sitting on remote server? The hosting provider gave me following things to connect to the remote database.Server NameDatabase NameUser NamePasswordRegards,A.K.R    Anyone? I don't want to ask the obvious, but is there not a Read Me file included with the download of SQL Express which would explain how to connect? Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I've only ever briefly ...

Can Sql Server Express 2005 Run a Sql Server 2000 database?
Should be a quick question:I've got a client with a Sql Server 2000 database.  He wants to hook it up to a server that is only running Sql Server Express 2005.  Can this work? Thanks!-Craig U-Sports.net - Taking Fantasy Football to School Tell him to Backup the database and send you the .bak you can restore it as 2005 database.  I have posted a FAQ about moving SQL Server databases and there is a free chapter about Backup and Restore in the link below.  Hope this helps.  http://forums.asp.net/thread/1454694.aspxKind regards,Gift Peddie Thanks!  I will rec...

How to create a copy of SQL Server 2000 database in SQL Server 2005 Express?
I have a database called 'DB1' in SQL Server 2000. I want to create the same database in SQL Server 2005 Express including the original data in tables. How would I do that? I cannot find any option to do this upgrade in SQL Server Management Studio.sun21170 Check out this:How to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2005 with the Copy Database Wizard Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you! The article you mentioned does not apply to the 2005 Express Edition. The Management Studio for the Express Edition contains no Copy database opti...

Can microsoft SQL Server 2005 database upgrade to microsoft SQL Server 2008 database?
I have a microsoft SQL Server 2005 database, I don't know how to upgrade the 2005 database to 2008 database, I try to use SQL Server Management Studio Express 2008 to open the 2005 database, it's OK, does it mean that the 2005 database have been upgraded to 2008 database? BTW, is SQL Server 2005 database compatible with SQL Server 2008 database completely?SuperCool Multiple ZIP - A utility to unzip multiple files and work with multiple zip filesSuperCool Random Number Generator Yes. It is compatible. Anyhow go through this url for more informationhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/li...

Web resources about - Migrating sql server 2005 express database to sql server 2005 database - asp.net.sql-datasource

Thunderclap Migrating From Twitter to Facebook
Thunderclap, a mass-messaging service that gained popularity on Twitter, has set its sights on Facebook . Twitter recently booted Thunderclap ...

Facebook Migrating Unofficial Page Fans to Official Pages at Brand Owner’s Request
Rupesh Mandal is such an avid fan of the Opera Mini web browser that he set up a Page on Facebook totally devoted to celebrating it, and then ...

Teens Migrating From Facebook To Comments Section Of Slow-Motion Deer Video - YouTube
Subscribe to The Onion on YouTube: http://bit.ly/xzrBUA Trendwatchers say more and more teens are leaving Facebook and Twitter in favor of the ...

UAE is the global leader in attracting migrating professionals, study finds
... with 28 per cent, was the leading source of professionals, according to the LinkedIn study. The UAE is the global leader in attracting migrating ...

Record Numbers of New Zealanders Migrating to Australia
Acting on impulse: why the Kiwis keep coming ... and coming and coming

The krilling season: Whales keep tourists migrating south
Earlybird whale watchers in Eden have been rewarded with astounding acrobatic displays in the bay.

Migrating Swans were bound for glory, says great
Migrating Swans were bound for glory, says great

Researchers say Irukandji jellyfish migrating further south along Qld coast
Researchers say climate change could be altering the migration patterns of the dangerous Irukandji jellyfish along Qld's east coast.

Apple chip supplier TSMC announces record profits, migrating to more advanced technology
... Company , iPhone , and iPad continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Apple chip supplier TSMC announces record profits, migrating ...

More eBay Merchants Migrating to Amazon in Search of Sales Growth
EBay's once-loyal merchants are moving more of their business to Amazon, saying they get more for their money by selling merchandise via the ...