Microsoft SQL Server Developer Edition vs Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition

I have just installed sql server 2005 but, now I have two types of server name:

  1. Microsoft SQL Server Developer Edition
  2. Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition

Which one should I use? Does it matter??

thanks..

0
ereko

HostingASPNet

Sql Server 2005 Express or Sql Server 2005 Developer Edition
Hi all, I just installed my VS 2005 Pro (full installation) and it installed Sql Server Express 2005.  I also have a CD for Sql Server 2005 Developer Edition which I have not installed yet.  My need for Sql Server on my development machine is for building and testing apps - just myself - no users will be hitting my sql server on my PC.  Most of the time I hit my web server's sql server but also want the engine on my PC for when I'm offline. Question: Should I install the developer edition and remove sql server express?  Doesn't the developer edition more close...

How to use Microsoft SQL Server 2008 in Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition ?
I have installed Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express in my PC, and remain Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition, but when I use Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition to open a exist website made by Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition + SQL 2005 Express, I get the following error, how can I do? thanks! "The server version is not supported. You must have Microsoft SQL Server 2005 beta 2 or later."   BTW, can both Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and Microsoft SQL Server 2005  run simultaneously on one PC?SuperCool Multiple ZIP...

SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
Hi,Can SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition installed in a same machine. Will there be any conflict?Regards,Swami Sure they can exists on the same machine. Generally speaking there won't be conflict. The only conflict I have encountered came with SQL2000 named instance: after install SQL2005, the anonymous service on UPD 1434 port (used by SQL2000 to find out named instance) may fail to start, if the "SQL Server Brower" service is not started; so connection may fail to find out SQL2000 named instance. In this case you can just start the "SQL Server Brower" ser...

upgrading from sql server 2005 express edition to sql server 2005 express with advanced services
If i have been using sql server 2005 express for developing my application and i decide to upgrade to sql server 2005 express with advanced services while still working on the same application, what will happen to my  application's database. Can i be able to continue with my work with out any major regrets.--------------------------------------------------No Project Too Eazy.-------------------------------------------------- I have answered you in this other thread there is no problem, if there is a problem I would have warned you.  Hope this helps.http://forums.asp.net/...

Microsoft SQL Server Database File (SqlClient) and Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient)?
hello there is Microsoft SQL Server Database File (SqlClient)(i have created *.mdf Solution of Visual web developer.. righ click, add new item, SQL server database) and Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient) at server explorer(i have created *.mdf at SQL server management studio) as Modify Connection.. when i create *.mdf at Microsoft SQL Server Database File (SqlClient), i cant see i*.mdf at SQL Server Management Studio. but when i create *.mdf at Microsoft SQL Server (SQLClient), i can see *.mdf SQL Server Management Studio. what is different between Microsoft SQL Server Database File (SqlCli...

Confliction between SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
Hi,   My objective is using a single DB file (mdf file)  + SQL Server Express 2005 to run my program   I got two softwares here, Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2005. Firstly, I installed Visual Studio 2005, normally the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition will be installed with this software. After finishing the installation. I opened a new project and try to open a DB file (.mdf) from Visual Studio 2005, it works. The problem is that I can't restore the mdf file from an old database file since it lose a lot of functions that appear in SQL Server 2000 / SQL Server 2005. ...

Converting from SQL server 2005 back to sql server express edition?
Hi folks,I was working on MS sql server 2005 evalution where i have built a number of databases. However, i came to discove that the evalution version has expried before i finished my work. Now i have disinstalled the sql server 2005 and installed the Sql express edition.My concern here is how can i keep my databases so they can work with sql express edition?Thank you very much in advance. Since you dont have the option of backup and restore, what you can do is attach the databases. Find the .mdf files of your database in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data ( replace w...

Timestamp variable in SQL server 2005 and SQL server express editions!!! Help!!!!
Hi, Can anyone update me whether the 'timestamp' datatype has been changed in the recent release of sql server 2005 or sql server express?? In previous versions it is generating a unique number or row version...it was told that they will be updating 'timestamp' variable to contain the value of current datetime as the word 'timestamp' actually means. Please let me know.. Thanks.. ...

Installation of SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 Developer Editions on the same PC
I currently have SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition installed on my home PC. Is it safe (or even advisable) to also install SQL Server Developer Edition 2000 on the same PC? I have two clients, one using SQL Server 2000 and another one on 2005 so I need to do testing on both. Bill I have both on my laptop, but installed them in the opposite order you are wanting to do. Don't know if there would be issues doing 2005 first and then 2000. -- TheSQLGuru President Indicium Resources, Inc. "Bill Murphy" <wmdmurphy@houston.rr.com> wrote in message ...

Can microsoft SQL Server 2005 database upgrade to microsoft SQL Server 2008 database?
I have a microsoft SQL Server 2005 database, I don't know how to upgrade the 2005 database to 2008 database, I try to use SQL Server Management Studio Express 2008 to open the 2005 database, it's OK, does it mean that the 2005 database have been upgraded to 2008 database? BTW, is SQL Server 2005 database compatible with SQL Server 2008 database completely?SuperCool Multiple ZIP - A utility to unzip multiple files and work with multiple zip filesSuperCool Random Number Generator Yes. It is compatible. Anyhow go through this url for more informationhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/li...

Timestamp variable in SQL server 2005 and SQL server express editions!!! Help!!!! #2
Hi, Can anyone update me whether the 'timestamp' datatype has been changed in the recent release of sql server 2005 or sql server express?? In previous versions it is generating a unique number or row version...it was told that they will be updating 'timestamp' variable to contain the value of current datetime as the word 'timestamp' actually means. Please let me know.. Thanks.. ...

Microsoft.Data.Odbc.OdbcException: ERROR [42000] [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]
Hi Everybody, On localhost this application works fine but when I put on remote server. I am getting following errors. For both localhost and server, I am using same remote sql 2000. I will appreciate any help. Thanks, Arif Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ERROR [42000] [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Line 1: Incorrect syntax near ')'. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more i...

Web resources about - Microsoft SQL Server Developer Edition vs Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition - asp.net.sql-datasource

Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Cloud Partner - Home

Microsoft Hohm Service Discontinuation
Microsoft-Hohm discontinuation message