Microsoft SQL Server Database File (SqlClient) and Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient)?

hello

there is Microsoft SQL Server Database File (SqlClient)(i have created *.mdf Solution of Visual web developer.. righ click, add new item, SQL server database) and Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient) at server explorer(i have created *.mdf at SQL server management studio) as Modify Connection..

when i create *.mdf at Microsoft SQL Server Database File (SqlClient), i cant see i*.mdf at SQL Server Management Studio. but when i create *.mdf at Microsoft SQL Server (SQLClient), i can see *.mdf SQL Server Management Studio.

what is different between Microsoft SQL Server Database File (SqlClient) and Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient) ?

i have created my some *.mdf as Microsoft SQL Server Database File (SqlClient).

also i have create my some *.mdf as  Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient) ? (server: sqlexpress)

which one should i use ?

Thanks

oguzkaygun

oguzkaygun

Hi oguzkaygun,

From your description, I think what you would like to clarify is just the difference between SQL Server instance and SQL Server user instance.

Please refer to another similar thread: http://forums.asp.net/t/1315824.aspx

Jian Kang
Microsoft Online Community Support

Jian
2/2/2009 3:44:42 AM

hi :)

i have read your link. it is related to attach.

i have one question. *.mdf of Microsoft SQL Server Database File (SqlClient) and Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient) runs same performance for 1.000.000 records ?

oguzkaygun
2/3/2009 8:26:04 PM

If we want to connect to a database file with Microsoft SQL Server Database File (SqlClient), the database files need to be placed in App_Data folder and SQL Server Express Edtion is required. The database file will be attached and connectible when the connection is open, so we cannot find it in SSMS.

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition User Instances

If we want to connect to a database which is already attached in SSMS, we need to choose Microsoft SQL Server Database (SqlClient).

Please also refer to the links below:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqldataaccess/thread/8757b271-944b-4939-86bb-b3631e063d9e/

How to: Attach a Database (SQL Server Management Studio)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190209(SQL.90).aspx

How To: Connect to SQL Server Using Windows Authentication in ASP.NET 2.0

How To: Connect to SQL Server Using SQL Authentication in ASP.NET 2.0

Since SQL Server Express Edition and other SQL Server Editions have the same Database Engine, I think there is no performance difference.
For more information, please refer to the documents below:

SQL Server 2005 Features Comparison
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/features/compare-features.mspx?PHPSESSID=0324345d45ef1bf1f764044e03584cd0

Features Supported by the Editions of SQL Server 2005
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143761(SQL.90).aspx

Jian Kang
Microsoft Online Community Support

Jian

Can microsoft SQL Server 2005 database upgrade to microsoft SQL Server 2008 database?
I have a microsoft SQL Server 2005 database, I don't know how to upgrade the 2005 database to 2008 database, I try to use SQL Server Management Studio Express 2008 to open the 2005 database, it's OK, does it mean that the 2005 database have been upgraded to 2008 database? BTW, is SQL Server 2005 database compatible with SQL Server 2008 database completely?SuperCool Multiple ZIP - A utility to unzip multiple files and work with multiple zip filesSuperCool Random Number Generator Yes. It is compatible. Anyhow go through this url for more informationhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/li...

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open database requested in login 'WinFM SQL PFS'. Login fails.
HiASP pages were properly connecting to SQL DB until I restored from a backup DB.  As soon as I finished restoring from the backup DB, I am getting the following error message.   I did not make any changes on ASP side.  IIS Server and SQL 2K Server is running on a WIN2K Server Box.Please help.Thank you.HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP errorInternet Information ServicesTechnical Information (for support personnel)Error Type:Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open database requested in login...

Microsoft SQL Server Developer Edition vs Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition
I have just installed sql server 2005 but, now I have two types of server name: Microsoft SQL Server Developer EditionMicrosoft SQL Server Express Edition Which one should I use? Does it matter??thanks..  Hello, Check SQL Server 2005 Features Comparison: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/features/compare-features.mspx RegardsWindows Hosting ASP.NET | Top ASP.NET Hosts | Dedicated Windows Hosting...

Microsoft.Data.Odbc.OdbcException: ERROR [42000] [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]
Hi Everybody, On localhost this application works fine but when I put on remote server. I am getting following errors. For both localhost and server, I am using same remote sql 2000. I will appreciate any help. Thanks, Arif Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ERROR [42000] [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Line 1: Incorrect syntax near ')'. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more i...

SQL Server Database File vs SQL Server Database -VWD Express
VWD Express 2008, SQL Server Express 2005. I have been using SQL Server Express with ASP and VB for some years - I just create a DB in Management Studio Express, have SQL Server set to 'SQL Server and Windows authentication', and use a connection string with 'sa' and a password (I never have managed to get it working with 'integrated security', but that is probably irrelevant to this post). So I have a list of DB's attached to SQL Server that I can see, attach, detach etc in MSE. I am getting started with .NET. Working through a VWD Express book tutori...

How do I migrate a SQL Anywhere database into Microsoft SQL Server?
I got a detached .db file from a client which was from Sybase ASA version 9. I installed the Developer version of SQL Anywhere 11 and used the Unload Database tool to convert it to a version 11 database. I am trying to get the whole thing into SQL Server 2008 (which is what I need to work in) using the Import Wizard. I select the data source "SQL Anywhere OLE DB Provider 11", but I am stuck getting it to actually connect. I read that there may be problems with this driver. Does anyone have any tips on how to copy this database onto SQL Server? Thanks for your help! W...

How do I migrate a SQL Anywhere database into Microsoft SQL Server?
I received a detached .db file which was from Sybase ASA version 9. I installed the Developer version of SQL Anywhere 11 and used the Unload Database tool to convert it to a version 11 database. I am trying to get the whole thing into SQL Server 2008 (which is what I need to work in) using the Import Wizard. I select the data source "SQL Anywhere OLE DB Provider 11", but I am stuck getting it to actually connect. I read that there may be problems with this driver. Does anyone have any tips on how to copy this database into SQL Server? Thanks in advance for any help! Hi...

sql server 2005 do'nt attach sql server database file
I have sql server 2005 standard version. I want connect mu database file with microsoft sql server  database file.I receive ... provider: SQL Network Interface; error: 26 - error locating server/instance specified ... error.How to use local .mdf file with sql server 2005 (not express)  SQL Server (not express) doesn't support attaching on the fly of mdf files, so you need to do it manually. That is, open SQL Management Studio, right click the server, select attach, and that way you can permanently attach the database to the server. You'll have to use a normal connection s...

SQL Server Express file to Sql Server
I would like to copy the schema and data of a sql server express database file to a SQL Server Database. How can this be done and what steps would I need to take?   Thanks for any helpTinyPond TinyPond:I would like to copy the schema and data of a sql server express database file to a SQL Server Database. How can this be done and what steps would I need to take? If you have Express Management Studio, you back backup your database, and them import it to SQL Server (or attach and reattach).Justs open SQL Server Express Management Studio, connect to your Express instanc...

Web resources about - Microsoft SQL Server Database File (SqlClient) and Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient)? - asp.net.sql-datasource