Improving Performance of SqlServer

hello everyone,

does anyone know some tipps or articles that descripe how the sqlserver 2000 can be improved? i have an application which displays newspapers. the text of the newspapers is saved in db. performance is ok but  i have performance-problems when i do a fulltext-search.

1) hardware: p4  xeon double core, 2.4 Ghz, 2 GB Ram

2) number of articles in database: ~ 255.000 Records (betwenn 10 - 400 words each)

3) the database is indexed (i am searching with "CONTAINS" and not with the "LIKE"-keyword)

4) in my query i am searching in 3 columns (title,leadtext,content)

5) results (searching for one word, stopping after 150 Results):
the time to get a result from database lies between 5 to 10 Seconds (Average: 6.77 sec)!

this is the time only for getting the dataset from the sqlserver. the time of manipulating the dataset and binding it to my repeater needs about 15 milliseconds. using a sqldatareader didn't improve the performance. i got the same results.

in future the number of records will be three to five times higher than now. i am afraid that then the user has to wait half a minute to get a result of 150 search hits.

my questions:

Are you having similiar results in your applications? Are this times acceptable?

The SqlServer 2000 (professional) is installed in its default way with the default settings. Are they possiblities to modify this settings for improving performance? Where can i find info about that?

greetings and thx

Klaus

0
cptOneEye

You can use LIKE with FullText, the best SQL Server performance book is by Ken England and there is a Full Text blog where you can find code sample using standard T-SQL with the Full Text predicates.  Hope this helps.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1555582419/102-0765109-8072934?v=glance&n=283155

http://spaces.msn.com/jtkane

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre
3/28/2006 1:03:58 PM
I would install a cluster server for load balancing.
0
Dirac

Improving SQL performance...
Hi I currently using PB9 build 7151. I have an application that relies hevily on updates (inserts/updates) to an Oracle 10g database. We have a heavy load of data and it is only going to be getting bigger. Primarily the app does inserts and updates via embedded sql. I have been thinking of changing some of this to datastores but some initial testing is not yielding much improvement. DisableBind is at the default setting. Is there a trick that anyone would like to share to speed things up? I am using the Oracle9 interface, so there is no ODBC overhead. In the app, there are ...

How is the Performance of the SQL with .Net?
HiI want to insert 1000s of records into SQL Server 2005 Database with some manipulation. So that i put into the For Loop and inserting record.Inside the loop i am opening the connection and closing after use. The sample code is belowfor(int i=0;i<1000;i++){    sqlCmd.CommandText = "ProcName";    sqlCmd.Connection = sqlCon;    sqlCmd.Connection.Open():    sqlCmd.ExecuteNonQuery();    sqlCmd.Connection.Close();      }    What my Question is.. How is the Performance of th...

Improving performance through SQL jobs?
As someone mentioned, you can improve performance by removing the section of the AddSiteLog sproc that checks for entries older than X number of days. I still wanted this feature, but without the performance hit, so I created a SQL job on my portal database. Are there other functions we could replace with SQL jobs? Also, how difficult is it to distribute SQL jobs with a release? ..jeconatus I don't know that this would replace a function, but a lot of times the Session_End sub does not run for a session. I created a job that runs about every 5 minutes and cleans out all users from th...

.Net remoting improve performance
Hello friends,  If I hada project on a single machine,can I use .net remoting in our project to improve performance?How does it improve performance? Thanks & RegardsGirish NehteThanks & RegardsGirish NehteIf This post helps you to solve your problem please mark this as an answer.  Check this : Remoting Best PracticesHope that helps  Techie (.Net Knowledge at its Best)We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.::: Winston Churchill ::: if you are using single mashine why u are using Remoting..it is for distributed enviroment....&...

How to improve the performance of .NET Application ???
Hi all,          I have one problem. I have already developed an gigantic (big scale)  application. Now I want to increase the performance for running on OS. What should I do ?          I can't change coding which i have done. Otherwise I have to do lot of work. I am using VB.NET as frontend and MySQL as backend. sheth_jk It is very unlikely that you can change the apps performance without touching the code (excluding putting it on a brand new killer server of course ;-) )here's a few ideas--...

Improving Dynamic SQL Performance
Anyone got any ideas to do the above? Do abstract query plans help? Yeah, yeah, I know - I'm trying it out at the moment. I wanted to gather some opinions, pointers... Cheers TT Hello TT, Well, AP can help anything that uses a query plan. The art of it will be to make sure the incoming queries are the same as the ones used to capture the plans. But, you know that I'm sure. >Yeah, yeah, I know No, really what is it? I hope there aren't rumors about APs out there ;-) Let me know how APs work out for you. BTW - I love the www.cluetrain.com site!! I'...

Improve the performance of procedural SQL
It seems to me that the performance of procedural SQL has been rather neglected over the years. Of course as a DBMS it makes sense to focus efforts on DML, but perhaps Sybase has just not given the procedural component the priority it deserves. We have some triggers and stored procedures that could get considerable benefit from these improvements. The relatively poor performance of procedural SQL seems to be across the board. Examples are: Calls to stored procedures or functions Instantiation time for declared variables Time to evaluate a simple IF statement I did some tests ...

How to improve the performance of .Net remoting
Hello, all I am using ASP.net website as a client, which is talking to a remote server using .Net remoting technology. When I run the web site, it takes me about 6 secs to get the page displayed (but the server response very qucikly after that). However, it does not meet my requirement. Because the web site I got now is just a small, simple one and I will expand it later. So I want to find a way to make the initializing of the connection as quick as possible. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance....

Improving .NET Application Performance and Scalability
I might be repeating this link, however there is good document out on MSDN on improving Performance and Scalability at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag/html/scalenet.asp -MHP...

SQL with LIKE in Where clause
I have a query that joins two temp tables in a stored procedure. 1 temp table has only about 4500 rows and the other only about 3700 rows. I'm joining the 2 tables by a date range and by a LIKE clause because I have to look for information stored in a descriptive field brought in from an audit table. I have tried the update several different ways (using an if exists and then the update, even tried using a combination of sub procedures and adding indexes to the temp table being updated in the main proc), but nothing seems to get this down to a reasonable time. Right now it ta...

Improving .NET Application Performance and Scalability
HI Y'all,  How can I re-create a windows like performance webapplication? Is Enterprise Instrumentation Framework (EIF)  possible in a webapp? Are there any sample apps? Thanks!  Please give us feedback no matter whether you get your answer.Please "mark as answer" if it's useful for youSincerely,SpongeBert See if these helps:Improving .NET Application Performance and Scalability http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998530.aspxhttp://www.devx.com/dotnet/Article/33519 http://davidhayden.com/blog/dave/archive/2004/05/12/253.aspx Regards,Vinz"Code,...

Ajax.Net 1.0 Performance Improvment
I'm using ajax.net+vb.net+vs 2005 for my project. I want to know how to improve the performance of my pages. Presently pages with update panel rendering very slowly. I'm using master page and my content page has about 5 user control. I've used separate update panel for each UC. Thank you         UpdatePanels are not going to give you any performance at same time, i don't think they would be bad compared to traditional postback model. If you really need good performance out of your web app, look for either script callbacks or JSON based communicat...

Improving Performance of SQL View?? (plz Help me)
Hi, I am trying to improve the performance of the following view, is taking around 3 mins 40 sec. for execution in production servers.(1month duration) As a result the asp.net page which is displaying the report is timing out. my query: Select * From viewBillPayDetails Where convert(datetime, appdate,101) between 01/01/2008 and 01/02/2008 my View: (viewBillPayDetails)::   SELECT     TOP 100 PERCENT dbo.tblappt.memberid, dbo.tblappt.service, dbo.tblappt.location, dbo.tblappt.appid, dbo.tblmembers.billp...

Web resources about - Improving Performance of SqlServer - asp.net.sql-datasource

BMW i8: Jaw-dropping style and green performance, but why?
... drives the BMW i8 for a week and starts to wonder why the Germans built this EV. Continue reading BMW i8: Jaw-dropping style and green performance, ...

"I agree that Sylvester Stallone gave a hearty, worldly-wise performance as the aged Rocky Balboa..." ...
"... and thought that he’d be one of the few intersections between my own year-end picks and the nominations. But the Academy’s choice of no ...

Here's the story behind the incredible performance by three young children at a Donald Trump rally
USA Freedom Kids opened for Donald Trump at his Florida rally on January 13, 2016. The children performed an original song by director and Trump ...

Performance of David Bowie musical becomes a memorial
Tuesday night's performance was the first time since Bowie's death on Monday that the show went on

Alan Rickman: Best Movie Performances - Collider
We run down our list of Alan Rickman's best performances, which includes his phenomenal work in the Harry Potter series and more.

Watch 'HIMYM' Actress Cristin Milioti Cover David Bowie's 'Changes' in Off-Broadway Performance
The actress performs a powerful version the late singer's hit song in the Bowie-inspired play, 'Lazarus.'

How Important Is Site Performance For Traffic And Conversions?
When it comes to on-site factors for SEO, content marketing, and other inbound strategies, most people pay attention to structural elements and ...

India’s performance will be determined by roles Virat Kohli and MS Dhoni play
If Virat Kohli can slip back into the role of a lieutenant, if he can keep looking up to MS Dhoni as leader, it will make the team stronger. ...