I have downloaded the Visual Studio 2008 Express with SP1 All-In-One DVD image file, burned a DVD and installed Visuall Basic, with SQL Server and Visual Web Developer. However when I try to test a new site and add a New Item/SQL Sever database I get a message: "failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed."
I tried to use SQL Server Configuration manager and change SQLEXPRESS logon properties (different built-in account and my Windows Vista account) but it doesn't work and I still have the same message.
When I tried Visual Web Developer 2005 with SQL Server 2005 I could add (on the same computer) a database to my test website after some arrangements. Unfortunaly I don't remember now how did it. (probably with the SQL Management Studio that is not provided with 2008 edition). Could somebody help me to start working with databaseses, please?
-- Enable user instances.
sp_configure 'user instances enabled','1'
-- Disable user instances.
sp_configure 'user instances enabled','0'
And also check that in network protocol - Named Pipes is enabled.
Hope it helps
If this has helped Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.
That way future readers will know which post solved your issue.
I think this issue is much bigger than what would be deduced from the preceeding posts. It appears to me that a major flaw exists in SQL Server 2008 Express default installations, at least for XP SP2 configurations. I have the VS2008 suite installed and nothing I have tried (a long shopping list) successfully generates an SQL Server 2008 Express user instance from any application. I have used SSEUtil to verify 'user instances enabled' and used the SQL Configuration Manager to verify that 'Named Pipes' is enabled for the SQL Native Client, as suggested above, to no avail. Also, SSEUtil connection attempts fail with the 'Failed to generate a user instance..." error message unless the -m option is selected to use the main instance and avoid user instances. The following may be a bit long winded but I think it will be useful.
I have an XP SP2 desktop on which I have the VS2005 Express suite installed with SQL Server 2005 Express, SQL Server Management Studio Express, Visual Web Developer, Visual Basic, VC++, VC#, etc. all functional and in use for ~one year. I also have an ASP.NET website (developed with VWD 2005 Express) running under IIS on the same desktop, using the panoply of user authentication/roles features via an App_Data resident ASPNETDB.mdf and all working happily for ~8-10 months. The desktop website is basicaly a development/maintenance/update version of an ISP hosted real website.
A couple of months ago, I upgraded to the pre SP1 VS2008 Express suite, still using SQL Server 2005 Express and SQL Server Management Studio Express, and everything seemed OK. I built a couple of VB applications using database features, did all the routine website maintenance/update stuff, etc. successfully.
This past Friday, I made a huge mistake. I foolishly upgraded my VB installation to the newly available SP1 variant. After the fact, I discovered that the VB SP1 upgrade also installed SQL Server 2008 Express, and heven only knows what else. I quickly noted that all attempts to gain access to login features of my website crash with the subject "Failed to generate a user instance..." error, that all attempts to create/access databases in VB also fail with the same error, that SQL Server 2008 is incompatible with the installed Management Studio Express, that no compatible Management Studio Express is yet available for SQL Server 2008 Express, and worst of all, that uninstalling the SQL Server 2008 Express/VB 2008 Express SP1 monstrosity doesn't fix my problem. I have spent the entire weekend unsucessfully trying to recover. I am aware of the extensive MSDN forum post history regarding the "Failed to generate a user instance..." error and of Microsoft's apparent indifference to the problem, and I am disgusted beyond words.