How to get list of all Sql servers on network

Hi,

Is there any function/API in vb to retrieve all the sql servers that are avaiable on a network? Basically, i wanted to implement this facility in my application where users can select a server from list of all avaiable servers on LAN.
Thanks!
Asif
0
chdasif

..Net, Im having trouble with a couple of the TYPES that are used in the functions.

Have you got this figured out in .NET yet?
Please let me know if you have a resolution.

Thanks,
Malcolm Phillips
Malcolm.Phillps@prgx.com
0
livglarge
12/20/2002 2:14:34 PM
If you get GFI lanscan you'll find there's a script there that enumerates SQL Servers on the network. Its basically VB script but I don;'t have it here at home.

To do it in asp.net I think you'd need to import the SQLDMO namespace
Cheers - Damian Barrow
0
Mr
12/20/2002 6:53:50 PM
How do I import the SQLDMO namespace?  Please

0
pak99
10/17/2003 5:52:00 PM
You add the Microsoft SQLDMO Object Library as a (COM) Reference to your project, then you add
<%@ Import Namespace="SQLDMO"%>
to your ASP.NET page.
Terri

Terri Morton
Engagement Manager, Neudesic

How to ask a question

0
tmorton
10/17/2003 10:28:45 PM
Take a look at http://www.extremeexperts.com/sql/faq/SQLDMO-ListServers.aspx for an example ... This works in VB also ...

HTH,

Vinod Kumar

MCSE, DBA, MCAD, MCSD

http://www.extremeexperts.com
0
vinodk_sct
10/18/2003 10:08:06 AM
Dim mDMOApp As New SQLDMO.Application
        Dim mNames As SQLDMO.NameList
        Dim t As Integer

        mDMOApp = New SQLDMO.Application
        mNames = mDMOApp.ListAvailableSQLServers()
        lstServers.Items.Clear()

        For t = 1 To mNames.Count
            lstServers.Items.Add(mNames.Item(t))
        Next
0
SmaRT_AleCK

Get list of SQL Servers in the network.
Hello Friends, I m using PB6.0 and SQL Server 6.5. I m trying to make a database schema comparison program. I need to get list of the names of all the computer in my network which r running SQL Server services (List of all the SQL Servers in my network) Thank U. Sandeep I don't know of any specific APIs to do that -- you could use Win32 API calls to get a listing of all servers on your network, and then try to connect to the SQL Server default port for each. http://msdn.microsoft.com/sqlserver may contain some helpful information. -- <hopethishelps /> Roy Kiesl...

How do a get a listing of all available SQL Servers on a network.
I want to create a web app that will allow a user to select from a drop down or lookup all available SQL Server databases. Thanks in advance, Jeremy i answered my own question... hope this helps some one To restate my problem. I need an app that will list all of the available SQL Servers on a network. There are many ways to do this ... this is one. I would like to see better ways if anyone has time. 1. Download the SQLUtils.dll from (watch for line wrap) http://codeproject.com/useritems/listsqlservers.asp?print=true 2. Register the SQLUtils.dll using regsvr32.exe ...

How to get a list of all SQL Anywhere database servers in local network
Hi, I am using SQL Anywhere 10. How to get a list of all SQL Anywhere database servers (and databases running on them) in local network ? I would really appreciate if somebody can also post some sample code ? Thanks, Vijay You can use dblocate to see how well that feature works for you. By using the -n switch you can get the IP address of the found servers so that may allow you to filter the list down to just the subnet(s) of interest. DBLocate can find servers on other subnets via broadcasting, so you will need to be aware that is a possibility if your network routes t...

Having trouble getting SP from sql Server 2005 to work in SQL Server 2000
I am getting an error saying incorrect syntax near fIt works in SQL Server 2005, but I cannot get it to work in SQL Server 2000  The error appears to be in the section that I marked in Bold. CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[pe_getReport]  -- Add the parameters for the stored procedure here    @BranchID INT,    @InvestorID INT,    @Status INT,    @QCAssigned INT,    @LoanOfficer nvarChar(40),    @FromCloseDate DateTime,    @ToCloseDate DateTime,    @Orde...

SQL A and SQL Server
Hi I heard SQL Server used to be owned by Watcom is this true? Is SQL Anywhere, therefore, similar to SQL Server? -- Regards, John Not quite true. SQL Anywhere was created by Watcom. SQLServer was created by Sybase, and Microsoft licensed the technology. So MSSQL and ASE have common roots, not SQLAnywhere. -- Paul Horan[TeamSybase] "John Kingan" <john.kingan@abibuildingdata.com> wrote in message news:40d82aa1$1@forums-1-dub... > Hi I heard SQL Server used to be owned by Watcom is this true? Is SQL > Anywhere, therefore, similar to SQL Ser...

sql server and sql server express
ok i am puzzled right now....i have a web application connecting to a sql server database....i uninstalled sql server express and installed sql server 2005 full version...i changed the connection string in my application to be Data Source=SKYBANDR62;Initial Catalog=aspnetdb;Integrated Security=True and through the explorer bar i can access my database freely but when i run my application i get this error Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- An error has occurred while establishing a...

How can I get the 'entire' database, structure and data, from SQL server 2008 to SQL server 2005?
1) I can't get the 'copy database' function to work from SQL Server 2008 to SQL Server 2005. I connect ok. Everything goes to the last step and then it fails.2) I cant get a SQL server 2008 backup to restore on SQL SEerver 2005 either. The only way I know that works is to script the creation of all tables then export and import. This does work. How can I get the 'entire' database, structure and data, from 2008 to 2005? ThanksSQL newbie. Visual Studio 2008 supports a type of project called a database project. You might try importing the schema of t...

Getting a SQL Express Database to work on a SQL Server
Hi, I'm getting ready to deploy an ASP.NET application to a server that does not support SQL Express, but does support MS Access and SQL Server. Is there any easy way to convert my SQL Express code to either Access or regular SQL Server code, without having to change very much code in my application. I really like the integration that SQL Express has with Visual Web Developer, and would like to be able to keep that sort of integration if at all possible. Thanks,Drew Assuming by "SQL Server" you mean "SQL Server 2005", the only thing that should need to change is the connection string.&n...

Compiled sql CommandText going from DataSource to sql server
HiI need to know what command text goes to sql server in a compiled (parameterless) formatEx :I have a sql query : "Select  * from table where name=@name"name parameter has value = "bill gates"When I read the e.command.commandtext value in sqldatasource.inserting event, it gives the original command (with parameter @name)In datasource.inserting event, how can I get the compiled version of the command  : "Select * from table where name='bill gates'"please help me Why do you need to get the value?  What do you plan to do with it?Brian"Trust in the Lord and do what is good...

Problem with SQL Server connection string - provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26
Hi Guys, I am having a wierd problem. The system works perfectly when I am connected to the local network but throws the above error when I disconnect it from the network. Given below are my connectionstrings: integrated security=false;user id=U1;data source=localhost;persist security info=False;password=pwd1;initial catalog=MyDB //connection string to my database Data Source=localhost;Initial Catalog=aspnetdb;User ID=U2;Password=pwd2 //connectionstring to aspnetdb for webparts I have also changed all the providers (SQLMembership, SQLProfile, SQLRole) to use LocalSQLServer and comme...

Web resources about - How to get list of all Sql servers on network - asp.net.sql-datasource

Server farm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A server farm or server cluster is a collection of computer servers usually maintained by an enterprise to accomplish server needs far beyond ...

Turkey internet servers under sustained cyber attack: internet body
Turkish internet servers have suffered one of the most intense cyberattacks ever seen in the country over the past week, raising fears Ankara ...

Cock.li e-mail server seized by German authorities, admin announces
(credit: Vincent Canfield ) In a new video statement posted on Monday, the administrator of novelty e-mail provider cock.li announced that one ...

Amazon deal: Save $85 on this Sony portable wireless server
Smartphones' memory storage gets filled so quickly these days thanks to photos, videos and more, so get yourself a handy portable wireless server ...

Facebook releases design for its souped-up A.I. server, 'Big Sur'
Facebook is releasing the hardware design for a server it uses to train artificial intelligence (A.I.) software, allowing other companies exploring ...

Applebee’s Server Returns $32,000 In Cash Family Accidentally Left On The Table
... and scored a huge tip from some abnormally generous person, and you figure the money is yours to keep. Or, if you’re like one Applebee’s server ...

Former Intelligence Chief Calls ‘Top Secret’ Info on Hillary’s Server ‘Unreal’
Former Intelligence Chief Calls ‘Top Secret’ Info on Hillary’s Server ‘Unreal’

Facebook, Google server outsourcing strategy change expected to impact profitability for ODMs
Facebook is planning to add Wiwynn, a server subsidiary of Wistron, as a new datacenter server supplier, joining its primary supplier Quanta ...

Hillary Clinton's private server had two 'top secret' emails
Those concerns that Hillary Clinton's private email server had classified intel? They're apparently well-founded. Sources for Fox News and Politico ...

CTERA Unveils Server Data Protection for Enterprise CloudOps
The data protection solution evolves the backup capabilities developed as part of the company’s Enterprise File Services Platform.