How to convert a SQL Server 2005 Database to SQL Server Express

Hi,

I have a SQL Server 2005 Database that I would like to export to SQL Server Express.

How do I go about this?

I've tried backing it up, creating a new (blank) SQL Server Express Database and trying to restore it, but get the following message:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
------------------------------

Restore failed for Server 'PRODSOL-LAPTOP1\SQLEXPRESS'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.2047.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Restore+Server&LinkId=20476

------------------------------
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: The backup set holds a backup of a database other than the existing 'ProdsolPGC' database. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.2047.00&LinkId=20476

Neither of the links provide any more information and I'm sure that I'm missing a step out.  I've tried scripting the existing database and then running the script against the new database, but I can't get that to work either - these blooming newbies!

Please help!

Thanks very much.

Regards

Gary

Gary Bartlett
gb at prodsol dot co dot nz
+64 9 473-9530
+64 21 776-390
http://www.prodsol.co.nz - Dramatic improvement through pattern-level intervention
0
GaryBartlett

'Couldn't solve the problem that I was experiencing, but did manage to get what I wanted done:

  1. Detach SQL Server 2005 Database.
  2. Copy .MDF and .LDF to new location.
  3. Change connection string in web.config

'Thought it was easy - just didn't realise that it would be that easy!  'Hope this helps some other novice(s).

We have, as a civilisation, to solve the problem of IT being so inaccessible to novices.  It's ridiculous how many things turn out to be easy - once you know what to do - but virtually impossible if you don't.

An IT guy told me today that doing a fix myself would be easy and take no time at all - it would take only one line of code.

I had to say that my problem isn't my typing speed, but the fact that it's new code, without a precedent to follow and, even if I knew what the line of code was, I don't know where it should go (it's a 6-/7-tier application with heaps of inheritance - smart programming, but fairly inaccessible to a novice like me).

Regards

Gary

Gary Bartlett
gb at prodsol dot co dot nz
+64 9 473-9530
+64 21 776-390
http://www.prodsol.co.nz - Dramatic improvement through pattern-level intervention
0
GaryBartlett
6/30/2006 9:04:29 AM
GaryBartlett:
We have, as a civilisation, to solve the problem of IT being so inaccessible to novices.  It's ridiculous how many things turn out to be easy - once you know what to do - but virtually impossible if you don't.

I think the problem there is that the universe of things to know in IT is so vast that it's nearly impossible to impart all of this information to novices in any sort of abbreviated fashion.  I've seen others draw a similarity between architecting and developing an application and architecting and constructing a house.  It's something that take a lot of education and years of experience to learn how to do it well.

Also, why was it necessary to "convert" your SQL Server 2005 database to SQL Server Express?  It seems to me like you are going in the wrong direction.

Terri Morton
Engagement Manager, Neudesic

How to ask a question

0
tmorton

Moving SQL Server 2005 Database to SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi, I have SQL Server 2005 in my Development machine but the hosting server has only SQL server 2005 Express. I was wondering if I develop the DB in SQL server 2005 would be able to move/deploy it to SQL Server Express in the production server? If so how? Can I just generate the script and then run it on the productions server? Or there is a better/easier way? Thanks in advanceShuaib----------------------- I don't anticipate any problems creating database in SQL Server 2005 and moving it to Express. If you need to generate the script to create an empty shell (no d...

Restoring a SQL Server Express 2005 Database to SQL Server Standard 2005
Hello,If I backup and restore an express database to sql server 2005 standard, will there still be limitations in regards to the database size, cpu...etc.? Thanks,Jon  I suppose that no. Limitations are connected to SQL engine not to database itself. But probably if your database will grow up connected to SQL Standard and you will try to move it back to SQL express you will be in trouble.  ThanksJPazgier...

If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly?
If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly? Thanks! Hi asdpai, I am not sure if I catch your meaning.But if you want to upgrade the SQL Server 2005 Express to SQL Server 2008 Express, you may refer to the following link: Version and Edition Upgradeshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspxHow to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2008 (Setup)http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144267.aspxJian KangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to mark the replies as answers if t...

Converting from SQL server 2005 back to sql server express edition?
Hi folks,I was working on MS sql server 2005 evalution where i have built a number of databases. However, i came to discove that the evalution version has expried before i finished my work. Now i have disinstalled the sql server 2005 and installed the Sql express edition.My concern here is how can i keep my databases so they can work with sql express edition?Thank you very much in advance. Since you dont have the option of backup and restore, what you can do is attach the databases. Find the .mdf files of your database in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data ( replace w...

How migrate SQL server 2000 database to SQL Server 2005 Express
I  have a  SQL server 2000 database.I have to migrate it to SQL Server 2005 Express.But I don't know how to do. Is any one can help me ? Thanks You can detach the database using sp_detach_db and then re-attach it to your SSE instance using sp_attach_db.  This should work seamlessly, but back up first, just in case.Adam MachanicSQL Server MVP...

Convert sql server 2000 database to sql express 2005
Hi; I have a database in sql server 2000 and i want to convert it to sql express 2005, so please tell me how I can do this. Thanks Adnan I havent worked with 2005 Express but couldnt you back up the 2000 copy and restore in 2005?***********************Dinakar NethiLife is short. Enjoy it.*********************** Hi adnan152,The first question I want to know is that do you have SQL Management Studio Express installed on your machine?  Well, if not you can download it by clicking this link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C243A5AE-4BD1-4E3D-94B8-5A0F62BF7796&...

SQL Server Express and SQL Server 2005
can any one tell me what the main differences are in the two editions? also can you use and express 2005 edition database on sql 2005? if not how would you do that? Tuppers Look here for a detailed comparison between the two.Yes, you can use Express databases on SQL Server 2005. Just attach it to an instance of SQL Server 2005.Is this enough information?DonDon Kiely, MCP, MCSDIn the Last Frontier, Interior AlaskaPlease post questions and replies to the forum! And remember to MARK AS ANSWER when someone definitively answers a question or resolves a problem! cheers i was told by my host t...

How to connect to Remote SQL Server database using SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi,I've an account with a hosting service provider online for SQL Server database. I've downloaded SQL Server 2005 Express from ASP.Net. How can I use it to connect to my SQL Server Database which is sitting on remote server? The hosting provider gave me following things to connect to the remote database.Server NameDatabase NameUser NamePasswordRegards,A.K.R    Anyone? I don't want to ask the obvious, but is there not a Read Me file included with the download of SQL Express which would explain how to connect? Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I've only ever briefly ...

Can Sql Server Express 2005 Run a Sql Server 2000 database?
Should be a quick question:I've got a client with a Sql Server 2000 database.  He wants to hook it up to a server that is only running Sql Server Express 2005.  Can this work? Thanks!-Craig U-Sports.net - Taking Fantasy Football to School Tell him to Backup the database and send you the .bak you can restore it as 2005 database.  I have posted a FAQ about moving SQL Server databases and there is a free chapter about Backup and Restore in the link below.  Hope this helps.  http://forums.asp.net/thread/1454694.aspxKind regards,Gift Peddie Thanks!  I will rec...

Web resources about - How to convert a SQL Server 2005 Database to SQL Server Express - asp.net.sql-datasource

A look ahead at the state of the database in 2016
... identity management, anti-phishing education, and so forth. Ultimately, hackers want access to the contents of an enterprise's database. Security ...

Top US School District Switches to Rimini Street for Oracle Database and Oracle E-Business Suite Support ...
Douglas County School District using savings from Rimini Street independent support to develop district-wide data visualization capabilities ...

18 million targeted voter records exposed by database error
A second database containing voter records has been exposed due to a configuration error. While the first held records that some dismissed inconsequential ...

Former Ohio cop uses cop database to stalk victim
... stalked her like an average person would, but stalked her in the way that only a police officer could: he stalked her utilizing a police database ...