how do I install odbc driver and use odbc conneciton ?

Hi,

 I have a little problem with a new hosting at the moment.

We have a working version of the website written in asp.net C#, with local sql 2005 express.

We have been uploading the database tables using the program I wrote in delphi, (which I had to do since the original database is something that VS cannot read well I assume at least).

 I can access the database on the web via MS SQL Management Studio 2008 and I can run queries to check records.

And here is the issue.

I just use normal SQLConnect  to connec to the database. And It wouldn't work by saying that :

SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified

 So I googled about this subject and possible issues were 2 things, which are:

1: Incorrect Name - likely to be missing a \ since you need two \\

2. Permission Error - the remote access is not allowed.

Both of them do not match in my case because I can connect to the database using the same credentials including the database host

So I went the hosting site's admin page and they only seem to allow access through odbc and oledb. So I tried to find the drivers and connection examples

for sql 2008 but I couldn't find them.

this is my connection string for standard SQLConnection ( seriously do not understand why this is not working):

       string connStr = "Data Source=" + db_host + ";Initial Catalog=" + db_name + ";User Id=" + db_user + ";Password=" + db_pass + ";Pooling=false;";

       SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection(connStr);

       SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand();

       cmd.Connection = conn;

       conn.Open();

 These are the codes I've used over many times so I doubt that this is incorrect.

 So I was wondering whether experts could tell me either :

1. how to get the native connection working.

2. how to get the odbc driver installed and connection working to sql 2008

btw I am using vs2008 , c# buidling pages with asp.net, and .net framework 3.5

Thanks for reading and much appreciate any help regarding this matter.

 Cheers.

0
rlee923

   You have posted same thread. You can find the solution:

http://forums.asp.net/t/1361252.aspx

Please try not to post multiple threads on the same topic. Thanks!!!

-Sri
ksridharbabuus
12/16/2008 11:10:36 AM

 Sorry I thougth I had an error message and thought posted into wrong type of forum so I posted on a different one.

 I won't do it again. :D

0
rlee923

My database application uses ODBC driver for MS SQL Server and DW. I created installation with InstallSheeld
My database application uses ODBC driver for MS SQL Server and DW. I created installation with InstallSheeld for O++ 1.5 and included both Intersolv ODBC and DW support. After installation on user's PC everything works fine but ODBC driver sends messages about copyright violation. I tried to setup my program on several PC's and got the same result. Would anyone suggest the right way of distribution ODBC drivers with O++ applacation? Regards, ...

DBD::ODBC and ODBC SQL Servre driver
Hi, I am currently using the trial version of the Easysoft ODBC-SQL Server driv= er. I need to be able to connect from Perl to SQL Server using a Linux mach= ine and am currently using DBI version 1.607. I was hoping someone could te= ll me which versions of the DBD::ODBC and ODBC-SQL Server driver would be c= ompatible with this version of the DBI so that I would not have to update t= he DBI ...

Microsoft.Data.Odbc.OdbcException: ERROR [42000] [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]
Hi Everybody, On localhost this application works fine but when I put on remote server. I am getting following errors. For both localhost and server, I am using same remote sql 2000. I will appreciate any help. Thanks, Arif Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ERROR [42000] [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Line 1: Incorrect syntax near ')'. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more i...

Instalation of 32-bit SQL Any 9 on Win7 64bit: 32bit-ODBC driver not installed?
Hi, We have a client who's trying to install SQL Anywhere 9 (32bit) on Windows 7 (64 bit). Installation seems to go fine, but after it's done and he tries to make an ODBC link, he gets to error messages: "The setup routines for Adaptive Server Anywhere 9.0 ODBC driver could not be found. Please reinstall the driver" However, under User DSN, there are two ODBC entries with Adaptive Server Anywhere 9.0 driver. But if you try to open them, you get the pop-up error window called "Driver's ConfigDSN, ConfigDriver, or ConfigTranslator failed", ...

wegconfig connectionstring ADODB System.Data.Odbc error is [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Incorrect syntax near 'TSQL'
    <add name="MYADODBCUSTOMERCONNECTIONSTRING" connectionString="Driver={SQL Server};Server=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;Database=myDbname;Uid=xxxxx;Pwd=xxxxx" providerName="System.Data.Odbc" />   [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Incorrect syntax near 'TSQL'. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: [Micros...

Installed ODBC driver (System 11) not available in ODBC Admin
I've installed the ODBC drivers for Sybase System 11, but they do not show up in the 'Driver' tab in the ODBC Admin program. I have just installed MS SQL Server 2000 and VB 6, so I have the latest ODBC Admin program/DLL's. Any Ideas? TIA Jim K. Check your odbcinst.ini registry entry, make sure "Sybase Susyem 11" shows up there Jim K wrote: > > I've installed the ODBC drivers for Sybase System 11, but they do not show > up in the 'Driver' tab in the ODBC Admin program. I have just installed MS > SQL Server 2000 and VB 6...

DBD::ODBC installation problem with Easysoft ODBC-Sybase driver
Hi folks -- I've got Easysoft's latest ODBC-Sybase driver installed, and I can = connect to my Sybase database at the command line with "isql sunline". = However, I'm having trouble getting DBD::ODBC installed. I've included = complete information (except my username and password) below. At least, = I think I have; if I've omitted something important, please let me know. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Regards, Ben Ostrowsky [root@helpdesk DBD-ODBC-1.13]# make realclean rm -rf ODBC.c ODBC.xsi dbdodbc.h ./blib Makefile.aperl = b...

I'm getting java.sql.SQLException and Database not found error while connecting SQL Anyware using ODBC driver.
Hi Friends, I'm getting java.sql.SQLException and Database not found error while connecting SQL Anyware using ODBC driver. I've specified following points while creating the DSN DSN name=xyz Server name=abc User name=pqr password=**** And I'm trying to access this database by writing a JAVA program. I created URL like this jdbc:odbc:xyz Now it is throwing above error can anyone please suggest me how to get rid of this problem, any thing more has to be done, please specify Thanks in advance, hamsa ...

Error using OdbcDataReader.ExecuteReader and Parameters...ERROR [42000] [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Must declare the variable
This seems to be a common problem but I have not seen any answers yet on this board.   I am porting over to using odbc because I have no choice with my Hosting company,  I was using basically the same code with the SQLDataReader and SQLCommand object and it was fine.  The below code will generate the error.  Help !! Unexpected exception: ERROR [42000] [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Must declare the variable '@Role'.. string sql = String.Empty ;sql = "Select * from Associate where Role=@Role and Exit_Date > @Exit_Date";string connString = getConn...

ODBC DSN less connection issues using ASE ODBC Driver
Hi, I am facing a problem while making dsn less connection to sybase Here is the thing, I shall try to make it simple: this piece of connection string works fine in production with sybase 11 open client installed Driver={SYBASE SYSTEM 11};Srvr=SYBPRD_DEV;Uid=SYBPRDCOM;Pwd=welcomedb1; However, I am trying to setup a Dev environment with Sybase open client 12.5 ..this piece fails with the following error msgs, Connection string: err msg: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified (i tried changing it to {SYBASE ASE ODBC Drive...

ODBC error:[Sybase][ODBC Driver] Connection not open:not connected to SQL database
Aloha, Have you come across this error before? Is it a Sybase error or a Crystal Reports error? Any clues? Mahalo, Lydia Villanueva Management Information Systems Grand Wailea Resort, Hotel & Spa It looks like you are attempting to communicate over a connection that has not been established or has been severed. Have you got any additional information? -- Jim Egan [TeamPS] Dealer Solutions, Inc. Houston, TX See you at the Powersoft User Conference in August - http://www.sybase.com/events/psuc98 ...

conversion from Intersolv odbc driver to Sybase odbc driver
Hello, does anybody converted from Intersolv odbc driver to Sybase ODBC driver? We are going to switch from an old intersolv odbc to sybase's odbc driver that is shipped with ASE 12.0. And, as far as I know, because intersolv was using ct-lib and sybase is using db-lib in odbc, there may be a few (or a lot of) problems for the application. Does anybody has an experience with this kind of migration and could say what kind of problem we can expect? Any help is gratly appreciated. Thank you. Elena Elena wrote... > Hello, > does anybody converted from Intersolv od...

DBD::ODBC 1.14 does not work on Windows x64 using Microsoft ODBC drivers
I have Perl 5.8.8 built for Windows x64 from Activestate (version 822) installed on a Windows 2003 x64 bit server (Xeon processor). I have installed version 1.59 of DBI and version 1.14 of DBD::ODBC compiled for x64 bit, using the freely available Microsoft SDK. The ODBC-ODBC bridge used is supposed to be for 64 bit, as described by Microsoft. I ran the attached test script and get an error: DBD::ODBC::st execute failed: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Invalid string or buffer length (SQL-HY090)(DBD: st_execute/SQLExecute err=-1) at test_dbd-odbc.pl line 48. This seems to ...

Connecting to Sybase SQL Anywhere using ODBC drivers
We are tying to connect Alpha Five (a desktop database product that supports ODBC) to Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0. For test purposes we are using the sample database that comes with Sybase SQL Anywhere. I am able to connect to the database using Alpha Five, however, when I open a table, it does not show any data. It shows all of the field name, but no data. Using Microsoft Access however, I was able to connect to the database and see the data. I asked a person more technical than I am to look at this. He used the Trace feature in the ODBC Data Source Adminstrator to trace the ODBC...

Web resources about - how do I install odbc driver and use odbc conneciton ? - asp.net.sql-datasource

Verelo - CrunchBase Profile
... is enabled on your website or blog, we start to check your site from multiple locations around the world. If downtime, malware, database conneciton ...

Nic Harcourt (@nicharcourt) on Twitter

New Resources - Onemda
Jump to Navigation Onemda VicHealth Koori Health Unit Research Themes Programs New Resources New Resources Click here to see Onemda's Systematic ...

DISH Remote Access Is Finally An App To Really Care About: Watch Live TV And More
The latest versions of Dish Remote Access for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch finally add full DVR management and live TV streaming to nearly any ...

Permissions - The Chronicle of Higher Education
Effective Date: September 29, 2014 Welcome to The Chronicle of Higher Education Web sites. This User Agreement (the “Agreement” or “Terms”) ...

Did NYT’s Editors Alert the Government to Risen’s Source?
Let me start by pointing to two data points about the case of Jeffrey Alexander Sterling–the apparent (and alleged) source for James Risen’s ...

Sun Ra- Space is the Place
Sun Ra- Space is the Place: an interview with author John Szwed about the life, times and music of Sun Ra

Great Prices for DSL Service
I would like to find a new internet connection, and I am going to need to get something that is a bit faster than what I currently have. Last ...

NYCC 2014: BATMAN 75th Anniversary Panel - Geoff Johns, Kevin Conroy, Neal Adams, More
Reflect on the past of Batman and what's to come with DC Comics.

News Clerks
Monday , November 12 2012 Home About Contact Submit News Authors Timeline Sitemap Privacy Policy RSS Go to... Home About Contact Submit News ...