Error message about SQL Server is displayed

I have a website that works OK on my local machine when I test it within Microsoft Visual Studio's debugging mode. However now that I have copied it over to a remote server it is failing with an error message of:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

As far as I'm aware I have never used SQL Server with my webpage. All connections to databases are to Oracle with connection strings and providers set up in the webconfig file.  The website does however use a login control to recognise authorised users. Does this mean I've unknowingly been using SQL Server (to support the login control) and I therefore need to install this on the remote machine?  Or is it something simpler?  Wondered if anybody had seen this error message before?

0
ftm

The website does however use a login control to recognize authorized users.

As you mentioned in your post, you are using login controls to recognize authorized users. In ASP.NET, such controls like logins, createuserwizard and etc are parts of .Net Membership provider mechanism.

In your local side, I think the SQLExpress has been shipped in your Visual Studio, so it can support the membership to work. But after you deployed your application to your server, the membership still tries to find the database to support. Unfortunately, the database does exist on your server, so the error occurs.

Thanks.

Michael Jin.
Microsoft Online Community Support

Nai
11/28/2007 3:22:45 AM

Hi Nai-Dong, thanks for replying.  I agree with your suggestion that the membership is tying and failing to read the database.  The database MDF file is present and in the correct location.  The permissions are set on this file as according to other forum posts I've read.  I also installed SQLServer Express on the remote machine. I suspect that the membership is not picking up the SQLServerExpress install but I am not sure how to fix this. It's such a shame because the ASP.NET login controls and .Net membership provider are really neat and simple to use. Due to time restraints it's looking like I'm going to have to use my Oracle database to contain the login information and write code myself to enable authentication.

0
ftm

Well, i just want to provide you some materials on membership which maybe helpful to you when you are going to use Membership in your next project.

About Membership Providers http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa478949.aspx

Membership introduction http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/yh26yfzy.aspx

Settings on using Membership http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms731049.aspx

Besides, you can export all the datatables with schemas in ASPNETDB into your Oracle database, and change the membership provider, you also can use membership with a Oracle back-end database.

Hope that helps. Thanks.

Michael Jin.
Microsoft Online Community Support

Nai
11/28/2007 8:49:26 AM

 Thanks Michael - greatly appreciated. I will certainly read through them. I like the idea of Oracle providing membership since I can connect to me Oracle db without any problems.

0
ftm

Error : An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does
Hi All, i am using tha conncetion string in web.config. <add name="MyLocalSqlConnection" connectionString="Data Source=.\SqlExpress;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\SqlServer\OC00003SQL.mdf;User Instance=false" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>  Instance=false and true both i have used  but i am getting error like that. on my web hosting site  Error : An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Serv...

connecting to SQL 2000 Server gives SQL 2005 error message
Hi, Here is the syntax of the connection string within the web.config file:<connectionStrings><clear /> <add name="MyConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=000.000.000;Initial Catalog=Database Name;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=XXXXXX;Password=XXXXXX;" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" /> </connectionStrings>  The test page has a GridView in it which uses the connectionstring fron the web.config file. Error Message: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecti...

SQL Server 2005 Error, but its SQL Server 2003?
Here is an error we are getting when trying to connect through our websites: .Net SqlClient Data Provider An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)   The server is actually SQL Server 2003.  Windows Update installed a few updates yesterday, so we're thinking that something in the update might be causing this er...

SQl Server Error: ----> Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
  Hi Friends, Im using .Net2008 and MS SQL Server2005, I Have a web application , i want to connect to the server machine SQL Server,  When i run the application im getting the following error. Im trying to connect to the database from local machine application to server machine database   An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Cou...

How to display SQL Server Error Message on Web Form
I have following Stored Procedure ... How do I display Error Message Return by Stored Procedure ?? CREATE PROCEDURE [AddNewUserDetails] ( @UserName nvarchar(30), @Passcode nvarchar(10), @FName nvarchar(30), @LName nvarchar(30), @UserRoleID int, @AccStatus nvarchar(50) ) AS IF EXISTS ( SELECT 'TRUE' FROM UserDetails where logname = @UserName) BEGIN -- Notify user about duplicate username SELECT 'Username already exists' END ELSE BEGIN -- Username doesn't exists in database, add it and notify admin SELECT 'Record Added' DECLARE @userid...

Why does a simple select query in Microsoft Access return the error [Intersolv][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]ct_results(): user api layer: internal client library error: Read from the server has
I have applied the information from support document 10447954 but that does not solve the problem. I am running a simple select query with one criteria from one table. Thanks. ...

Why does a simple select query in MS Access return the error: [Intersolv][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]ct_results(): user api layer: internal client library error: Read from the server has timed
I have applied the information contained in support document 10447954. That did not resolve the problem. I am running a simple query with one criteria and one table Thanks. Hi Bill, The doc refers to a different ODBC driver (for DirectConnect product) so you might have a completely different problem. The message implies you are using ODBC 12.0 (Client Library based) or prior since the message indicates CtLib info. You might want to post more details involved with getting to this error. You also might want to post exact versions of ASE and ODBC driver, including Open ...

Problem with SQL Server connection string - provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26
Hi Guys, I am having a wierd problem. The system works perfectly when I am connected to the local network but throws the above error when I disconnect it from the network. Given below are my connectionstrings: integrated security=false;user id=U1;data source=localhost;persist security info=False;password=pwd1;initial catalog=MyDB //connection string to my database Data Source=localhost;Initial Catalog=aspnetdb;User ID=U2;Password=pwd2 //connectionstring to aspnetdb for webparts I have also changed all the providers (SQLMembership, SQLProfile, SQLRole) to use LocalSQLServer and comme...

Connecting to sql server 2000 on Godaddy error: (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
Facts:1. I am using my account on Godaddy trying to connect to my sql server db.2. I can get into my db using user id and password.3. Godaddy's help file shows this for a connection string: connectstr = "Driver={SQL Server};SERVER=" & db_server & ";DATABASE=" &db_name & ";UID=" & db_username & ";PWD=" & db_userpassword4. My connection string: "Server=whsql-v09.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net;uid=dbasolutions;pwd=***;database=DB_87972;"  & _                    "Trusted_Connecti...

SQL Server 2005 tools with SQL Server 2000 error
Has anyone run into this error below yet?  I had a SQL Server 200 Database and then I installed the new SQL Server 2005 tools to use for development and now when I load the database over to my production server that has SQL Server 2000  I get this error... (I never got this error before I installed the tools but I know other people that use the tools with SQL Server 2000 and have no problems at all) Server Error in '/ParkingViolations' Application. An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this fai...

Displaying MS SQL Server 7.0 Error Messages
When migrating my database from SQL Anywhere 5.0 ODBC to MS SQL Server 7.0 ODBC, my PB code no longer displays database errors correctly: messagebox("Update Error", "An error occured while loading " + as_error + " table. All records may not have saved.~n~n" & + "SqlCode: " + string(sqlca.sqlcode) + "~n~n" + "SqlErrText: " + string(sqlca.sqlerrtext) ) Always displays SqlCode of 0 and blank SqlErrText. What is the proper way display the SQL Server 7.0 database errors? Thanks, Dale I was really hoping to ...

Error using OdbcDataReader.ExecuteReader and Parameters...ERROR [42000] [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Must declare the variable
This seems to be a common problem but I have not seen any answers yet on this board.   I am porting over to using odbc because I have no choice with my Hosting company,  I was using basically the same code with the SQLDataReader and SQLCommand object and it was fine.  The below code will generate the error.  Help !! Unexpected exception: ERROR [42000] [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Must declare the variable '@Role'.. string sql = String.Empty ;sql = "Select * from Associate where Role=@Role and Exit_Date > @Exit_Date";string connString = getConn...

SSIS
I created an SSIS package for a client that does data importing. When I run the pacakge from Visual Studio there is an error window showing all the errors and warnings. A good example of an error is if the import file is in the wrong format.When there is a error or warning can I write the error log to a file OR notify someone of the errors so they can make corrections and rerun the package OR any ideas that the client can find out what went wrong and then make corrections accordingly? Thanks Yes you can create loggers in SSIS package, you can select log destinations like fil...

Web resources about - Error message about SQL Server is displayed - asp.net.sql-datasource

Wikipedia:File copyright tags/Displayed and ranked - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... images in Wikipedia. In order to more easily locate the best copyright tag for any given image, currently available copyright tags are displayed ...

Facebook to adjust calculations for total check-ins displayed on place pages
... go into effect within the next few weeks, and page owners might notice a difference in their total “were here” tally. Total check-ins are displayed ...

CSS3 : What is the best method for adding 2x images to webpages that will be displayed on the new iPad ...
Answer (1 of 14): WebKit deals in logical pixels and a device pixel ratio to render stuff. It knows nothing about the physical pixels of the ...

QuakeFeed Earthquake Map, Alerts and News - World Earthquakes Displayed on Esri Maps on the App Store ...
Get QuakeFeed Earthquake Map, Alerts and News - World Earthquakes Displayed on Esri Maps on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read ...

Is this not bigotry displayed by Houston, TX 3rd grade teacher Angela Box? - YouTube
There is a controversy brewing over third grade elementary school teacher Angela Box. She teaches at Houston Independent School District (HISD) ...

John Robertson displayed error of judgment over Michael McGurk bribe offer for Currawong, inquiry finds ...
Labor leader John Robertson displayed an &#8220;error of judgment&#8221; by failing to report an attempted $3 million bribe from late businessman ...

Surgeon who cut away child's hip bone displayed 'unsatisfactory professional performance'
... orthopaedic surgeon who removed substantial bone from a teenage girl's misaligned hip, further destabilising it and destroying her joint, displayed ...

Wrong flag displayed before North Korea soccer match halts Games
... international incident when the North Korea women's team refused to take the field for more than an hour after the South Korean flag was displayed ...

MH17 plane fragment to be displayed by Russian museum: reports
A fragment of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 will be put on display despite investigators seeking all debris to find out why it crashed.

Sydney siege: Flag displayed during Martin Place hostage crisis not same as that used by terrorist group ...
The flag displayed during the siege at a Sydney cafe is not the same one used by the Islamic State terrorist group.