Error: 25 - Connection String is not valid ... SQL Server 2008 Express Edition and Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition

I am in VWD and went to Database Explorer to "Add Connection" to a .mdf File located on another PC on the network.  I see the following:

1) Data Source: Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient)
2) Server Name: \\ComputerName
3) Log on to the Server: Use SQL Server Authentication
4) Connect to a database: Attach a Database File: \\Computename\FolderName\DatabaseName.mdf
5) Logical Name: [Left Blank]
6) Advanced Tab: [No Changes]
7) Clicked the Button: "Test Connection"

Receive this Error:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 25 - Connection string is not valid)

I have no idea what to do.  I have spent the last 3 hours trying to fix this.  Thanks

0
litlmike

Can you please connection string so that we can get idea where exactly error encounters?

you can also get help from the below link.

http://www.connectionstrings.com/

Thanks,

Alpesh Dhanesha

Please don't forget to "Mask as Answer" if it helped.
0
alpesh
9/23/2008 5:03:23 AM

Ha, well I do not have a connection string.  Maybe that is the issue.  I assumed if I used the "Add Connection" feature, it would create a connection string.  Do I have to go into web.config and create a connection string there?

0
litlmike

yes exactly. you need to define the connection string as below in web.config

    <connectionStrings>
            <add connectionString="......" name="MyDatabase"  />
     </connectionStrings>

Give connection string in place of "....".

You can refer this connection string by

ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["MyDatabase"].ConnectionString

 This may be help to you.

Alpesh Dhanesha

Please don't forget to "Mask as Answer" if it helped.
0
alpesh
9/23/2008 7:12:48 AM

Here is what I am using for <connectionStrings> , but I still get the same error:

<connectionStrings>
<
add
name="MyDatabase"
connectionString="Data Source=10.0.0.3;
Initial Catalog=MyDatabase;
Persist Security Info=True;
User ID=userName;
Password=PaSsWoRd
"
providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
</
connectionStrings>

litlmike
9/23/2008 6:19:31 PM

Here is an answer I got on this question from another user from different forum:

I ran into that error when I was running SQL Server Express because, by default, it has remote connections disabled. I had to enable TCP/IP connections. SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration > Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connections. Then select the instance of SQL Server, Database Engin, Remote Connections. I changed mine to "Local and remote connections, using TCP/IP only". I guess if that doesn't work you could also enable "Using both TCP/IP and named pipes".

It could also be a bit simpler - your username/password doesn't have access to everything it needs on the server.

(Donald Knuth)
0
Naom

How to use Visual Web Developper 2008 Express Edition with Visual C# 2008 Express Edition for n-tier development
Can these products be bundled when working in a n-tier project? What are the best practise methods? Or is moving to Visual Studio 2008 Standard Editon the solution? In most cases you will find all you need is in VWD 2008, If you install SP1 then you can compile class libraries now as well, so less need for c#2008. Also you might find this good to read http://imar.spaanjaars.com/QuickDocId.aspx?quickdoc=416 Hope it helpsRegardsJeremyIf this has helped Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.That way future readers will know which post solve...

I cannot use SQL Server 2008 Express with Visual Web Developer 2008 Express
I have downloaded the Visual Studio 2008 Express with SP1 All-In-One DVD image file, burned a DVD and installed Visuall Basic, with SQL Server and Visual Web Developer. However when I try to test a new site and add a  New Item/SQL Sever database I get a message: "failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed." I tried to use SQL Server Configuration manager and change SQLEXPRESS logon properties (different built-in account and my Windows Vista account) but it doesn't work and I ...

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 and Mysql with Visual Web Developer 2008 express edition
 Hello All There, Before I going to switch to Microsoft SQL Server 2000, I just want to ask you if that's the right thing to do. I have installed Visual Web Developer 2008 express edition. I've read a lot about the connection to a remote Mysql database.And am I right, that Mysql will not work with VWD 2008 EE? I mean, I see my tables, but I can't select the fields which are in the table.So any easy thing to make is the DropDownMenu, I can't create that with MySql, because the only thing I see, is a All Columns and that is. So is it wise to step over to Mic...

How to use Microsoft SQL Server 2008 in Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition ?
I have installed Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express in my PC, and remain Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition, but when I use Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition to open a exist website made by Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition + SQL 2005 Express, I get the following error, how can I do? thanks! "The server version is not supported. You must have Microsoft SQL Server 2005 beta 2 or later."   BTW, can both Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and Microsoft SQL Server 2005  run simultaneously on one PC?SuperCool Multiple ZIP...

letting users who visit a website add records to a sql server database using visual studio web developer express edition 2008
in visual studio web developer express edition 2008 i added a new item this was a sql server database which i called test2. I added a table called comments, and the fields name, email, comments, IPAddress, and Date and in my comments.aspx page i added a name textbox, a texbox for email, a textbox for comments and the submit button i double clicked on the submit button and added the following code  Protected Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click        Dim mydS As New SqlDataSource   ...

SQl server ReportViewer 2008 for Visual C# Express Edition 2008
Hi  all,  I have installed the The Microsoft Report Viewer 2008 Redistributable Package  and I add the report viewer component to my toolbox list while viewing the report in my solution ...i was getting the error as given below.. The report definition is not valid. Details: The report definition has an invalid target namespace"http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2007/01/reportdefinition' which cannot be upgraded. Is there a way that I could work around this? Thanks , Ashok Hi, Please see http://forums.asp.net/t/1251148.aspx (duplicate p...

Visual Studio 2008 SP1
I have the developer version of SQL 2005 & SQL Server Express 2008 installed on my laptop and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 installed.    I'm learning ASP.Net MVC and want to work with a SQL Server Express 2008, but I can't connect to SQL Server Express 2008.  I first tried to ADD a SQL Server Database by adding a SQL Server Database to app_data and received the error "Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.  Then I attempted to ADD the Membership.MDF ...

Image DATA from SQL in Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition
Newbie Here! I have a SQL database base that I am connecting to and one of the fields contains the following: image1.jpg What I can pull the information from the database no problem, but what I need to do is display the image that it is refering to.  The other catch is that the image is actually located else where on the server.  For example, to display the above image in a normal image tag would be: http://www.somewhere.com/images/image1.jpg  I hope this makes sense.  I also need this to bind to the other data in the same row.  IE: Name, Address, etc...  and...

Installing MS SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services to work with MS VWD 2008 Express Edition
Hi, I am trying to use ASP.Net in MS Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition. I initially had MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition on my computer before installing the MS Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition. When I try to connect to the asp membership database, I get an error message. I then uninstalled the MS SQL 2005 Express and the VWD 2008 Express. I installed MS SQL Server 2008 Express with Tools and reinstalled the VWD 2008 Express edition with SP1, but I got the same error. Now I am an absolute beginner, I am thinking that maybe I don't know what I am doing. I have uni...

Microsoft SQL Server Developer Edition vs Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition
I have just installed sql server 2005 but, now I have two types of server name: Microsoft SQL Server Developer EditionMicrosoft SQL Server Express Edition Which one should I use? Does it matter??thanks..  Hello, Check SQL Server 2005 Features Comparison: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/features/compare-features.mspx RegardsWindows Hosting ASP.NET | Top ASP.NET Hosts | Dedicated Windows Hosting...

SQL Express 2008 or SQL 2005 Developer edition?
 Hi:I downloaded the SQL Express 2008 and I've been using it with Visual Studio 2008 Professional edition which i downloaded - the 90 trial . Now, I've received a the paid VS 2008 and installed it. I see that it came with "SQL 2005 Developer Edition". My question is, should I continue to work with the SQL Express 2008  or should I install this SQL 2005 Developer Edition? I've read in various instructions on the various programs I've been sampling that nothing needs to be done to use them if you're using Express but if you're using other versio...

Visual Studio 2008 includes SQL Server 2008 Express and Visual Basic 2008?
Please can somebody tell me whether Visual Studio 2008 includes SQL Server 2008 Express or 2005? Also does it include Visual Basic 2008 or 2005? Thank you.VWGolfman  VS2008 installs Sql Server 2005 Express by default. Also, VS2008 installs the new version of VB.Net BUT you can target older runtimes (i.e .Net 1.1, .Net 2, .Net 3) so you can argue that all VB.Net versions are "installed". Thank you Steven VWGolfman...

Deploying web developed with Visual Web Developer Express & SQL Server Express?
I'm working with Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and SQL Server Express Edition to create a website.  I read recently that the express edition does not have deployment capability.  Is that correct or did I mis-read something?  If it does not have this capability, is there a tutorial somewhere showing how to deploy with all the proper security elements and connection strings intact?I'm new at this, so need lots of hand-holding.  Thanks!Bruce I'm not sure what you read or what in any way would indicate any database having or not having "deployment capability".&n...

Visual Studion Express 2008 SP1, Visual Web Developer Express 2008 and Web Application Project Template
Hi All, I installed Visual Web Developer Express 2008 sp1 on my two machines, one running Vista & other running XP. On the XP machine, when I open VWD Express 2008 I get an option to use Web Application project template as a new project option but on my Vista machine I only get an option to use Web site model template option. My question is, is the sp1 incompatible with vista? Any help or explanation would be appreciated   Thanks SP1 is compatible with vista.  I would try devenv.exe /installvstemplates to see if you could force vwd to see the other project types otherwise ...

Problem when opening the sql server express in visual web developmer express edition
 hii download free starter kit timetraker application( i downloaded both Visual web devaloper and sql server express from the Internet) when i tried to run it it is showing the following errorAn error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)plz give me the solution above error thanks in advance vittal  The s...

Web resources about - Error: 25 - Connection String is not valid ... SQL Server 2008 Express Edition and Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition - asp.net.sql-datasource

This Is How Facebook Is Working to Improve Experience On Slower Connections
... the globe, that’s not their situation . In recent years, Facebook has paid close attention to its user experience on 2G and other slow connections. ...

French authorities detain suspects in connection to attacks 10 months apart
CNN French authorities detain suspects in connection to attacks 10 months apart CNN A forensic scientist works near a Paris cafe on Saturday, ...