database and database file(.mdf)

 Hello everybody,

Anyone plz explain the usage or implementation of the following while developing a web application using Visual Web Developer 2005:

  1. using database
  2. using a database file(.mdf)

Also any cons and pros over one another. Or is it like .mdf are easy to transfer. I am using SQL Authentication mode.

Thanks and Regards,

Sankar.

0
Sankar002

Sankar002:

  • using database
  • using a database file(.mdf)

    I think you are a little confused.

    A database like a sqlexpress or sql server has a data file with extension mdf.

    So a .mdf data file IS a database and vice versa so there is no difference between the 2.

    0
    jimmy
    3/3/2008 7:42:28 AM

    In sqlserver  database consists the extension .mdf along with u will be having .ldf file.  I think u r doubt is cleared.Plz correct me if i m wrong

    Thank u

    Baba

    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on this post if it helped you.

    Thank u

    Baba

    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on this post if it helped you.
    0
    srijaya_ramaraju
    3/3/2008 7:44:54 AM

     Yes, I overlooked something. Thanks for the help Jimmy.

    0
    Sankar002
    3/3/2008 12:36:02 PM

    Yes, my doubt is cleared Srijaya. Thanks a lot.

    0
    Sankar002

    SQL Attached mdf database files VS database imported into or created in SQL Server 2005
     Hi all (newbie @ asp.net)(oldie @ ASP 3)What is the purpose of using an attached MDF database files in the App_Data folder on a web site as to importing it into the SQL server directly or creating it on the SQL server. Does a mdf database attached file purely use the SQL server as a connection interface.Is it something similiar to DSN(ODBC) Connections for ms access databases. AFAIK it is only for deployment conveniance, I have always imported the database directly into SQL Server and set up the connection string accordingly.Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the...

    An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file (file location).../Database.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share.
    Greetings, I have just arrived back into the country (NZ) and back into ASP.NET.  I am having trouble with the following:An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file (file location).../Database.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share. It has only begun since i decided i wanted to use IIS, I realise VWD comes with its own localhost, but since it is only temporary, i wanted a permanent shortcut on my desktop to link to my intranet page.  Anyone have any ideas why i am getting the above error? have...

    An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file .../App_Data\Database.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share.
    I am trying to display data on an asp page from a sql express database that is in the app_data folder however when trying to run the application I get the above error. I also get the error when I right click on the asp page from within the IIS website. But when when I right click the asp page from with VS and select 'view in browser' it displays fine!I have tried setting the ACL for the App_Data folder for mymachine\ASPNET  to R/W as well as for the *.mdf and *.ldf file  to no avail.What am I missing here?...

    SQL Server Database File vs SQL Server Database -VWD Express
    VWD Express 2008, SQL Server Express 2005. I have been using SQL Server Express with ASP and VB for some years - I just create a DB in Management Studio Express, have SQL Server set to 'SQL Server and Windows authentication', and use a connection string with 'sa' and a password (I never have managed to get it working with 'integrated security', but that is probably irrelevant to this post). So I have a list of DB's attached to SQL Server that I can see, attach, detach etc in MSE. I am getting started with .NET. Working through a VWD Express book tutori...

    Any solution for error message "Could not attach file 'App_Data\Database.mdf' as database 'Database'."?
    Hello, I'm trying to connect to Database.mdf from an asp.net file and I get the following error message:    Could not attach file 'App_Data\Database.mdf' as database 'Database'.   CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master' The connection string I use is:    Provider=SQLNCLI;Server=localhost\SQLExpress;AttachDbFilename=App_Data\Database.mdf;Database=Database;Trusted_Connection=Yes Thanks!!!Ornit Hi, that's because your account doesn't have enough priviledge on the database server.Use Sqlserver management studio to add the necesso...

    SQL Database File? (*.mdf)
    Are these unsafe to use at all? Please explain, also, another question. How would I submit data to a mdf table using asp:buttons, and asp:Textboxes? Clarity is required . Wts u r requirementThank uBaba Thank uBabaPlease remember to click "Mark as Answer" on this post if it helped you.  Ummm... Well, as far as is it safe, well, can it be looked at by site visitors, or is it like easily exploitable? Will I be able to out data in there without having to worry that people can find out some of the data. Um and what do you need to know for the second question? Hi, To im...

    ms sql mdf database file attached vs created on sql server
     Hi allI have a question concerning sql database mdf files. In the old days I would user a ms access database. This file would be stored with the actual web files and would utilise a dsn connection. I have noted when designing with vwd 2005 express it allows you to use 2 methods of creating a mdf database. You can either create it as an attachment mdf or you can create it directly using sql manager. My question is, if you create the mdf database as an attachement file can you store it in the same manner as if you where using a ms access database, meaning can you store it with the w...

    Database 'C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\HOURSREPORTING\APP_DATA\ASPNETDB.MDF' cannot be upgraded because it is read-only or has read-only files. Make the database or files writeable, and rerun recovery.
    I have a website that runs on this computer through IIS. It was working fine until I went into it and added a textbox. Now it gives me this: Server Error in '/' Application. Database 'C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\HOURSREPORTING\APP_DATA\ASPNETDB.MDF' cannot be upgraded because it is read-only or has read-only files. Make the database or files writeable, and rerun recovery.Cannot open user default database. Login failed.Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please...

    Database utility to convert XML file to SQL Server database
    I have written a small utility to automate database builds by executing command nodes contained in an XML file.  Sample xml file:<Commands>      <Message Text="Clearing database entries"/>      <ClearDb/>      <Message Text="Database cleared"/>      <Message Text="Running SQL Command1"/>      <RunScript File="Scripts\CreateTest.sql"/>      <Message Text="...

    how to transform an .MDF database into a permanent database in sql server express?
    Hi, i have a MDF file used by an asp.net application (with sql server 2005 express). I want to make it to a permanent database in sql server express. I know that i can attach it from Management Studio, but is there no better way? Does it exist a way to 'import' or 'migrate' or copy' a .MDF.database into the central sql server, as if created directly in sql server express? After that, i can delete the .MDF file. Thanks Tartuffe Hello,if you would create a new database with SQL Server, it will also create an .mdf-file. You can see this for yourself in the following loc...

    Backing up the sql database(*.bak) and restoring the Database in VB.net
    Hi There, I want to know how to backup and restore database from VB.net. ie I am trying to put two buttons on my form, Backup and Restore. When I click on Backup a Backup of the SQL Database with extension of *.bak is created. Similarly when I click on restore and select a database with *.bak extension it should restore that database. I saw a software where it created a backup of Sql database with extension of .zip containing the bak file which is password protected. when u restore the database it automatically gets unzipped and the database is restored. Can anyone help me. Thanks in advan...

    "connections to SQL server files (*.mdf)" error message in Visual studio when adding a new SQL database
    Hope you can help. Running Visual Studio 2005 and SQLServer2005.  I have created a new project and am attempting to add a new SQL database to it.  When I select the SQL database I get an "Connections to SQL server files (*.mdf) requires SQL Server Express to function properly" error message.  I also tried to add an existng database and it errors out as well "The file can not be opened as it is being used by another process.....".  However, I can create a new data source connection to existing SQL databases.  One caveat though.  I can ...

    sql server 2000 to mdf database file
    I know I know this is kind of reverse thing I am asking.but as I am working on project and it is very time consuming to connect every time I want to for modifying database or dataset.  Hi, Do you mean that you need to upgrade SQL Server 2000 database to a SQL Server 2005(.mdf) one? If so, I suggest you follow the following article. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190775.aspx HTH. If this does not answer your question, please feel free to mark the post as Not Answered and reply. Thank you!Sincerely,Kevin YuMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to click “Mark ...

    Storing Excel File in SQL DataBase Using .NET
    Please any one tell me how to Store excel sheet in DataBase using our .NET Thanks in ADVANCE Try this article by Steve Orr:http://steveorr.net/articles/EasyUploads.aspxDarrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you!...

    Web resources about - database and database file(.mdf) - asp.net.sql-datasource

    Enterprises want to run databases in containers
    More than three out of four IT decision makers are interested in running stateful applications like databases within containers, according to ...

    Top US School District Switches to Rimini Street for Oracle Database and Oracle E-Business Suite Support ...
    Douglas County School District using savings from Rimini Street independent support to develop district-wide data visualization capabilities ...

    18 million targeted voter records exposed by database error
    A second database containing voter records has been exposed due to a configuration error. While the first held records that some dismissed inconsequential ...

    Former Ohio cop uses cop database to stalk victim
    ... stalked her like an average person would, but stalked her in the way that only a police officer could: he stalked her utilizing a police database ...

    U.S. Attorney Suggests Password Cardinals Used To Access Astros Scouting Database Was “Eckstein123"
    ... scouting director Christopher Correa plead guilty to five counts of unauthorized access to a computer for hacking the Houston Astros database. ...