connection to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL server express 2005 to function properly.

I dont have the SQL EXPRESS installed instead I have SQL Standard Edition.

 I have two SQL Server instances installed.

 1- UserLT (this is sql 2000)
2- UserLT\SQL2005 (this is SQL 2005 named instance)

But when i try to add a database to my VS website project I get the following error:

Connection to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL server express 2005 to function properly. please verify the installation of the component or download from the URL: go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkId=4925

I went in Tools>Opetions>DataBase tools>Data Connection>Sql Server Instance Name (blank for default)

and changed the "SQLEXPRESS" to "USERLT\SQL2005".

But I still get the same error message. Any ideas how i can resolve this issue?

0
dotNet_Student

 Hello,

Attach the files to your SQL server instance using for example the SQL management Studio and change your connectionstring to connect into this database.

ASP.NET Hosting (HostingFest)
0
smiling4ever
6/10/2007 4:44:32 PM

Well the thing is that I dont have a database created yet. I am trying to create a new database. If i create a database in SQL 2005 then my connectionstring will point to the database on sql server. I need the database to reside in the VS project like a stand alone .mdf file so that I can deply the database with my project.

 Does that make sense? Thanks for your help.

0
dotNet_Student

You may open your Machine.Config file (the file is in %SystemRoot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\ver. number\CONFIG ). Try to find the ConnectionString node, modify the setting and make it look like

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="data source=UserLT\SQL2005;Integrated Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf;User Instance=true" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

Thanks.

Michael Jin.
Microsoft Online Community Support

Nai
6/12/2007 9:16:46 AM
<connectionStrings>

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="data source=.\MSSQLSERVER;Integrated Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf;User Instance=true" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

</connectionStrings>

Pasted above is the connectionStrings portion of my machine.config file.  I changed data source=.\MSSQLSERVER from SQLExperess.  However, I still cannot fix my issue.  Am I using incorrect syntax?

Thanks,

Sid

0
SidC
3/18/2008 4:36:11 AM

Hello, I just had SQL Server 2005 installed over my old SQL 2000 , and I am experiencing the same problem when I try to create a new mdf file in my App_Data. I am curious if anyone has the solution to this problem?

 Thanks.

0
elephanted
4/30/2008 3:54:26 PM

no i couldn and still having the same problem. In fact it says "connections to SQL server files(*.mdf) requires sql server express 2005 to function properly. Please verify the installation of the component or download from the url: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkId=49251" .And i am using sql management studio 2005

0
priyab
8/13/2008 3:55:01 PM

 As far as i know a .mdf file is not supported by SQL Server 2005 only SQL Server Express.

0
azpoulton
10/3/2008 4:18:33 AM

I tryed in Tools>Options>DataBase tools>Data Connection>Sql Server Instance Name as blank i.e, (blank for default)

And worked me fine..

0
bnsp4u
11/3/2008 9:53:04 PM

Replacing the entry in Machine.Config didn't work.

I found two copies of machine.config on drive c:\ I modified both entries by changing the server name. I still get exactly the same error.

Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.

Of course, I also replaced the server name in the projects web.config file.

This is just bizarre.  PS. The server I want to use is a SQL 2008 developer instance. All my *.config files refer to that.

0
mark4asp
3/15/2009 11:38:34 AM

It just gets more and more facinating.

I restared the machine and logged on as a different user.

The machine.config entries were both OK (using the name of my new Sql 2008 Developer server).

Attempting to add a new database still gave the same error.

I noticed that there were also:

machine.config.default

and

machine.config.comments

files.

'machine.config.default' files still had the name of the defunct server (SQLEXPRESS). I changed it.

I created a new web project. The web.config of the new project was still referring to "SQLEXPRESS" as the ApplicationServices connectionString. Where is it getting SQLEXPRESS from?

"Add New Item, Data, Sql Server Database" still gives the same error message.

By this time I'd completely lost confidence in my ability to control my computer. I did a global search for the string "SQLEXPRESS" on drive C:

There were 74 files, 7 folders found. Which of these bastards is the culprit?  Or is the fault to be found in the registry?  If so where? and why?

0
mark4asp

Error: Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.
Hi guy'sI downloaded the Visual Web Developer 2005 Express, as well as SQL Server 2005 Express, and I am following the instructions given by sbwalker for the DotNetNuke 4.0.0 Starter Kit and Templates. I've gotten stuck trying to create the first Database.mdf file, I get an error that says:"Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly. Please verify the installation of the component or download from the URL http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=49251Any ideas what I should do? I installed SQL Server before Web Developer, and as far as I c...

error creating mdf
Connection to SQL server files (*.mdf) require SQL express 2005 to function properly.  please verify the installation of the component or download from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=49251   I AM GOING TO RIP MY HAIR OUT WITH THIS PROBLEM.  I have reinstalled both sql server express 2005 and VWD about 5 times with the same problem.  please, please, please someone throw me a bone here  and help me resolve this problem.  When I create a new EMPTY website and I rightclick on my website in the solution explorer and choose add item, I chooe SQL Database, I...

SQL Express

Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL
re error message>>> "Connections to sql server files" "require sql server express 2005 to function properly" Am trying to go through the MVC tutorial and when I try to add Item in app_data and make a new blank database I get the message in Subject above. I have Sql Developer 2005 installed, not sql serverexpress. My Instance name is DALEHP\SQLDEVELOPER  and I have put that into the Visual Studio 2008 Database options screen. Any ideas on how to make blank database file?   Hi, I assume that you take one of the first tutorials, the one with the...

SQL Server Express file to Sql Server
I would like to copy the schema and data of a sql server express database file to a SQL Server Database. How can this be done and what steps would I need to take?   Thanks for any helpTinyPond TinyPond:I would like to copy the schema and data of a sql server express database file to a SQL Server Database. How can this be done and what steps would I need to take? If you have Express Management Studio, you back backup your database, and them import it to SQL Server (or attach and reattach).Justs open SQL Server Express Management Studio, connect to your Express instanc...

SQL Server Express and SQL Server 2005
can any one tell me what the main differences are in the two editions? also can you use and express 2005 edition database on sql 2005? if not how would you do that? Tuppers Look here for a detailed comparison between the two.Yes, you can use Express databases on SQL Server 2005. Just attach it to an instance of SQL Server 2005.Is this enough information?DonDon Kiely, MCP, MCSDIn the Last Frontier, Interior AlaskaPlease post questions and replies to the forum! And remember to MARK AS ANSWER when someone definitively answers a question or resolves a problem! cheers i was told by my host t...

How to connect to Remote SQL Server database using SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi,I've an account with a hosting service provider online for SQL Server database. I've downloaded SQL Server 2005 Express from ASP.Net. How can I use it to connect to my SQL Server Database which is sitting on remote server? The hosting provider gave me following things to connect to the remote database.Server NameDatabase NameUser NamePasswordRegards,A.K.R    Anyone? I don't want to ask the obvious, but is there not a Read Me file included with the download of SQL Express which would explain how to connect? Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I've only ever briefly ...

upgrading from sql server 2005 express edition to sql server 2005 express with advanced services
If i have been using sql server 2005 express for developing my application and i decide to upgrade to sql server 2005 express with advanced services while still working on the same application, what will happen to my  application's database. Can i be able to continue with my work with out any major regrets.--------------------------------------------------No Project Too Eazy.-------------------------------------------------- I have answered you in this other thread there is no problem, if there is a problem I would have warned you.  Hope this helps.http://forums.asp.net/...

Can I connect to remote SQL 2005 server through SQL Server Management Studio Express?
Can I connect to remote SQL 2005 server through SQL Server Management Studio Express? I always get a error code 18456 when I try to connect to SQL 2005 server through SQL Server Management Studio Express. I'm sure I enter correct username and password!SuperCool Multiple ZIP - A utility to unzip multiple files and work with multiple zip filesSuperCool Random Number Generator The answer is yes its possible but it depends on the security configuration of the remote server.Hope it helps,Joe http://www.joeaudette.comhttp://www.mojoportal.com oh wait. I don't have the Express...

Web resources about - connection to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL server express 2005 to function properly. - asp.net.sql-datasource

Fictional Lawyers Use Their Family Connections Too
This film character had a family connection to his lawyer.

This Is How Facebook Is Working to Improve Experience On Slower Connections
... the globe, that’s not their situation . In recent years, Facebook has paid close attention to its user experience on 2G and other slow connections. ...

Addappt now lets you block contacts and connections
... gives you even more control than before. New features Block a current contact from connecting if they use Addappt down the road Block a connection ...