Connection string for default instance of SQL Server 2005, on a box also running a named instance of SQL Server 2000

The box I am trying to connect to is running two instances of SQL Server.

There is a SQL Server 2005 instance which is the default. There is a SQL Server 2000 instance which is named 'SQLSERVER'.

 I can connect to the SQL Server 2000 instance no problem:

<add key="ConnectionString" value="server=MYPC\SQLSERVER;database=mydatabase;user id=****;password=****" />

However,  I am having trouble connecting to the Default SQL Server 2005 instance. I have tried:

<add key="ConnectionString" value="server=MYPC;database=mydatabase;user id=****;password=****" />

 but it doesn't work. I have tried explicitly setting SQL Server 2005 to use port 1434 (as SQL Server 2000 is running on port 1433), and then used:

<add key="ConnectionString" value="server=MYPC,1434;database=mydatabase;user id=****;password=****" />

but this doesn't work either.

Am I mssing something here? Any help much appreciated

Thanks...

0
Holf

Since both SQL Server 2000 and 2005 are running on the same machine, definitely one of the instance will be the named instance.

I guess SQL 2005 is a named instance. So the connection should be as follows:

server=MYPC\<Instance name>;database=mydatabase;user id=****;password=****

-Sri
ksridharbabuus
11/15/2007 4:33:39 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply.

No, SQL Server 2000 was the named instance. SQL Server 2005 was the default. It was the default instance (SQL Server 2005) that I was having problems connecting to. Ineed, I was having trouble connecting to it with anything other than Enterprise Manager.

However, I have uninstalled / reinstalled SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005, and made them both named instances. I can now connect to them both no problem.

I suspect that had I reinstalled with one or other of them being a default instance, I also would have had no problems. I had noticed a number of other strange behavioural issues in SQL Server 2005 and I suspect something had gone awry in general.

0
Holf

SQL Express

Connecting to SQL Server 2000 with SQL Server 2005
I currently have Enterprise 2000 installed but would like to uninstall and install SQL Server 2005. Are there any problems if I try to reconnect to other SQL 2000 servers or other serious issues I need to consider before doing this change ?   Thanks,...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all
When i enter log in, I get the following error page.    Server Error in '/' Application. An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the err...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all #5
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)   <sessionState mode="SQLServer"sqlConnectionString="data source=LHX00CNU7401SQG\Session; integrated security=true"/>   I have done all the settings: --> enabling the protocols --> Starting teh SQlbrowser but still no luck. Pleas...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allo
My site works fine in VWD2008 express, but I get this error when I try to use it on my live website. An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.  According to this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914277  I am supposed to: 1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft SQL Server 2005, point to Configuration Tools, and then click SQL Server Surface Area Configuration. Ok, th...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all #3
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, Hi  I think you are trying to connect with remote server using windows authentication mode.Sql won't allow this ,so try to connect with server using sql authentication mode with(username and password)Happy ProgrammingShashi.  Check if this thread on the same discussion can help.http://forums.asp.net/p/1193329/2062685.aspx...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all #2
I get the following error and have been trying to figure out why I keep getting it.  Initially, I had placed my project under wwwroot folder and ran it under IIS and it gave this error.  Then I moved it to my local C drive and same thing.  I am sharing this project with two other co-workers and all our config files and code files are same...they don't get this error but I do.  I checked that SQL Server Client Network Utility has TCP/IP and the 'Named Pipes' enabled.  I thought maybe I have setting in the Visual Studio 2005 that I'm not aware of that&#...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all #6
hi there! I've uploaded my website at online server. which has its database on its local server. Now whenever Im trying to open the website. I get the following message instead of website. "An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) " Im using sql server 2000 for database. Asp.net 2.0 Please hel...

Error : An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does
Hi All, i am using tha conncetion string in web.config. <add name="MyLocalSqlConnection" connectionString="Data Source=.\SqlExpress;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\SqlServer\OC00003SQL.mdf;User Instance=false" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>  Instance=false and true both i have used  but i am getting error like that. on my web hosting site  Error : An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Serv...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all #4

My host runs SQL Server 2000, i have SQL Server 2005. What to do?
Hi, the title of this topic about summarises it. I have a dev-machine with SQL Server 2005 Standard edition on it. My host runs SQL Server 2000. What are my options? Is there some sort of backward compatibility? Can i export as 2000? I have no idea and i can't find anything about this particular problem. Thanks 2 solutions: Move your database to SQL Server 2000 or find a host that supports 2005. What do you expect? Naturally a 2000 sql server can not work with a 2005 database. That is not a "particular problem", that is the way evolution of software works. Script your database, u...

Web resources about - Connection string for default instance of SQL Server 2005, on a box also running a named instance of SQL Server 2000 - asp.net.sql-datasource

Kings Cross identities arrested in connection with murder
Two Kings Cross identities&nbsp;have been arrested in connection with the murder of a man at Sydney hotel.

Faith: Spirits lift in connection with home
We need to more adequately understand the spirituality of our unique place on earth.

... of Emergency Services) On Wednesday evening, California Governor Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency in Los Angeles County in connection ...

Report: Man arrested in connection with Ashley Olsen's murder
Italian media agency reports that a non-EU male has been arrested in the murder of the 35-year-old American

Toyota and Kymeta rely on satellites to power this Mirai's data connection
They're hoping to achieve gigabit wireless speeds within the next few years.