Confliction between SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition

Hi,

  My objective is using a single DB file (mdf file)  + SQL Server Express 2005 to run my program

  I got two softwares here, Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2005. Firstly, I installed Visual Studio 2005, normally the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition will be installed with this software. After finishing the installation. I opened a new project and try to open a DB file (.mdf) from Visual Studio 2005, it works. The problem is that I can't restore the mdf file from an old database file since it lose a lot of functions that appear in SQL Server 2000 / SQL Server 2005. And it is too troublesome and inconvenient to edit a DB file in Visual Stuio 2005.

  Therefore, I have to install SQL Server 2005 for me to edit the mdf file, so that I can modify, backup, or even restore the mdf file with another DB file. After the installation of SQL Server 2005, I got a tool, SQL Server Managment Studio, to edit the mdf file. I can open the mdf file but when I double-clicked on the mdf file in Visual Studio 2005, it gives me the following error message:

Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly. Please verify the installation of the component or download from the URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=49251

It seems the SQL Server 2005 modify some of the files in SQL Server 2005 Express Edition. Is that SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition cannot be exist at the same time?

The issue is I'm working on my computer, but I dun want to install SQL Server 2005 in the server that I will transfer to. It will be much like using Access DB file, without the Microsoft Access software, the program can still work well. However, when I'm still in programming stage, I do hope to have a DB file as the source file for my program, but I can do some editing works with SQL Server 2005.

Does anyone can give me a suggestion? Thanks for your kindly reply.

Calvin

0
nwc_calvin

On my machine I have SQL2005 and SQL Express installed at the same time, and both of  them work fine. I guess the problem lays in connection string of the database. You can check as following:

Go to database explorer-data connections.
Right click your mdf database and click "modify connection"...
Click the advanced button
Search for the "data source" string
Set the string to refer to your SQL Server2005 instance.

You can take a look at this link:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=124596&SiteId=1.

BTW, if you just want to operate on the database file more directly, you do not need to install SQL Server2005. You can intall "SQL Server Management Studio Express " from here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/

.
Welcome to my SQL/ASPNET forum for Chinese
http://51up.org/bbs/forumdisplay.php?fid=38
0
Iori_Jay

upgrading from sql server 2005 express edition to sql server 2005 express with advanced services
If i have been using sql server 2005 express for developing my application and i decide to upgrade to sql server 2005 express with advanced services while still working on the same application, what will happen to my  application's database. Can i be able to continue with my work with out any major regrets.--------------------------------------------------No Project Too Eazy.-------------------------------------------------- I have answered you in this other thread there is no problem, if there is a problem I would have warned you.  Hope this helps.http://forums.asp.net/...

Sql Server 2005 Express or Sql Server 2005 Developer Edition
Hi all, I just installed my VS 2005 Pro (full installation) and it installed Sql Server Express 2005.  I also have a CD for Sql Server 2005 Developer Edition which I have not installed yet.  My need for Sql Server on my development machine is for building and testing apps - just myself - no users will be hitting my sql server on my PC.  Most of the time I hit my web server's sql server but also want the engine on my PC for when I'm offline. Question: Should I install the developer edition and remove sql server express?  Doesn't the developer edition more close...

Moving SQL Server 2005 Database to SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi, I have SQL Server 2005 in my Development machine but the hosting server has only SQL server 2005 Express. I was wondering if I develop the DB in SQL server 2005 would be able to move/deploy it to SQL Server Express in the production server? If so how? Can I just generate the script and then run it on the productions server? Or there is a better/easier way? Thanks in advanceShuaib----------------------- I don't anticipate any problems creating database in SQL Server 2005 and moving it to Express. If you need to generate the script to create an empty shell (no d...

SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
Hi,Can SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition installed in a same machine. Will there be any conflict?Regards,Swami Sure they can exists on the same machine. Generally speaking there won't be conflict. The only conflict I have encountered came with SQL2000 named instance: after install SQL2005, the anonymous service on UPD 1434 port (used by SQL2000 to find out named instance) may fail to start, if the "SQL Server Brower" service is not started; so connection may fail to find out SQL2000 named instance. In this case you can just start the "SQL Server Brower" ser...

Restoring a SQL Server Express 2005 Database to SQL Server Standard 2005
Hello,If I backup and restore an express database to sql server 2005 standard, will there still be limitations in regards to the database size, cpu...etc.? Thanks,Jon  I suppose that no. Limitations are connected to SQL engine not to database itself. But probably if your database will grow up connected to SQL Standard and you will try to move it back to SQL express you will be in trouble.  ThanksJPazgier...

Converting from SQL server 2005 back to sql server express edition?
Hi folks,I was working on MS sql server 2005 evalution where i have built a number of databases. However, i came to discove that the evalution version has expried before i finished my work. Now i have disinstalled the sql server 2005 and installed the Sql express edition.My concern here is how can i keep my databases so they can work with sql express edition?Thank you very much in advance. Since you dont have the option of backup and restore, what you can do is attach the databases. Find the .mdf files of your database in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data ( replace w...

If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly?
If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly? Thanks! Hi asdpai, I am not sure if I catch your meaning.But if you want to upgrade the SQL Server 2005 Express to SQL Server 2008 Express, you may refer to the following link: Version and Edition Upgradeshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspxHow to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2008 (Setup)http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144267.aspxJian KangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to mark the replies as answers if t...

SQL server 2005 and SQL server 2005 lite
Hi, I have a web site hosted at a hosting company.. I'm in the process of designing a web site which has some forms that are going to hit a database, etc.. for a small company.. This small company has it's own Web server, and when I'm finished I'll copy the finsihed product to their IIS web server, etc.. Well, I have SQL server 2005 full edition as part of my web hosting, but I'm going to have to use SQL server Lite for the end user / client since they don't have SQL server. So, I'm wondering if I can do my work on MY remote host using the full edition of SQL server 2005, and then copy to th...

SQL Server Express and SQL Server 2005
can any one tell me what the main differences are in the two editions? also can you use and express 2005 edition database on sql 2005? if not how would you do that? Tuppers Look here for a detailed comparison between the two.Yes, you can use Express databases on SQL Server 2005. Just attach it to an instance of SQL Server 2005.Is this enough information?DonDon Kiely, MCP, MCSDIn the Last Frontier, Interior AlaskaPlease post questions and replies to the forum! And remember to MARK AS ANSWER when someone definitively answers a question or resolves a problem! cheers i was told by my host t...

Web resources about - Confliction between SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition - asp.net.sql-datasource

Confliction by BassFactoR - Bass Facto R - Free Listening on SoundCloud
I am Michael Pinnell. I Reside in Brisbane, Australia. This is my electronic music project. I have two different focus areas, each with a different ...

Clandestine Service — Central Intelligence Agency
... Service (NCS) serves as the clandestine arm of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and the national authority for the coordination, de-confliction, ...

National Clandestine Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The National Clandestine Service ( NCS ) (known as the Directorate of Plans from 1951 to 1973 and as the Directorate of Operations from 1973 ...

Fighter World History
Fighter World pays tribute to Australia’s great pilots and the planes they flew, as well as demonstrating the latest advances. It relives the ...

20th Surveillance and Target Acquisition Regiment
The 20th Surveillance and Target Acquisition Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery (20 STA, RAA) is an Australian Army Regiment which was raised ...

Aberhart and Harper on Crusade: Carl Schmitt
A CULTURE OF DEFIANCE: History of the Reform-Conservative Party of Canada To achieve a better understanding of how the neoconservative movement ...

Associated Press GfK Poll
By PHILIP ELLIOTT and DENNIS JUNIUS, Associated Press WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama’s endorsement of gay marriage did little to shift ...

New Hack Can Activate HD Voice On Earlier T-Mobile iPhone Handsets
One new hacked carrier update for T-Mobile users promises to enable HD Voice on iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S handsets.

A Talk with Egypt Grand Mufti Dr. Ali Gomaa
With the continuing state of turmoil in the Egyptian political scene, one of Egypt’s most influential religious figures, outgoing Grand Mufti ...

Ashé Journal: Book Reviews
Ashé Journal, Vol 5, Issue 2, 247-256, Summer 2006. Nothing Is True—Everything Is Permitted: The Life of Brion Gysin, John Geiger (Disinformation ...