Can't connect to SQL Server 2005 in Visual Studio, only SQLExpress works?

Hi all,

I'm having a big problem here. I can't seem to connect to a database of MSSQL Server 2005... Here is what I've did:

1. Under the Server Explorer>Data Connections. Right click and choose "Add Connection..."

2. Data Source was "Microsoft SQL Server Database File". Click OK.

3. I browse to the database in the MSSQL.2/MSSQL/Data folder.

4. Click on the "Advanced" button, and change the default DataSource from .\SQLEXPRESS to .\MSSQLSERVER. Click OK

5.  Received this error:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default setting SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 25 - Connection string is not valid)

Only .\SQEXPRESS that I was able to connect to... i've tried the solution from Microsoft, opened SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration and enabled "Local and remote connections", checked the option "Using both TCP/IP and named pipes" but it didn't help. This is frustrating because I can't get the Membership provider, login to work on my host. Please help.

Thank you very much,

Kenny.

0
xuanvu

Hi Kenny,

xuanvu:
Click on the "Advanced" button, and change the default DataSource from .\SQLEXPRESS to .\MSSQLSERVER. Click OK

is there named instance MSSQLSERVER on your host/machine

xuanvu:
Data Source was "Microsoft SQL Server Database File". Click OK.

wondering what did you chose while creating connection for SQLExpress was it Sql Server Database file or SQL Server. could you try to use SQL Server option for .\MSSQLServer?

thanks,

satish.

Kind Attn: If a reply to your post helped you, kindly mark it as Answered.
Please save Animals Help World Society For Protection Of Animals,
Protect these speechless creatures of GOD
0
satish_nagdev
7/9/2007 4:08:48 AM

Yeap the problem lies in the SQL Server instance name... I was able to connect to the database now, but here is the problem that I've been battled for a whole week without success... Reading countless forum for a solution but none seems to work.

Here is the problem that I've posted: http://forums.asp.net/t/1131239.aspx

Thanks,

Kenny.

0
xuanvu

can't connect to sql server database with same connection used in visual studio .net 2003
I have the following code that works fine in visual studio .net 2003 but not with VWD.  I have sql server 2000 developer edition installed locally and this connection works fine with visual studio.  With VWD it fails with the exception "System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user 'DARRELL\ASPNET'".  It fails on the conn.Open line.   any ideas on what the issue is?Dim conn As SqlConnectionDim connstr As Stringconnstr = "Data Source=DARRELL;Initial Catalog=Event;Integrated Security=SSPI;"Dim daEvents As New SqlDataAdapter("select * from events", connstr...

Can't connect to SQL 2005 Express with SQL Server Management Studio Express
I've seen the following error posted when people try to connect to their server via their applications but didn't see anyone having problems when trying to connect with SQL Server Management Studio Express. Am I missing something here? This is the error:<<An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)(Microsoft SQL Server, Erro...

how can associated 'sa' with a trusted SQL Server connection in sql server 2005?
I want to use sa user login sql server 2005 to visit my database "dotnet20" but when I set the user property in User Mapping, It Report when I set it, An Error Occur like followCannot use the special principal 'sa'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 15405)and also when I want to Login sql server use 'sa' user, It Report Login failed for user 'sa'. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18452)how can  associated 'sa' with a trusted SQL Server connection? I'm having this exact same problem. When I login using Windows authent. I can co...

USER CAN'T CONNECT THE REPORTING SERVER (AD USERNAME) using SQL SERVER MANAGMENT STUDIO 2005
Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE ...

Can't seem to install SQL server 2005? Install completes, but where is SQL Server 2005
I went to one of the Microsoft "Ready To Launch" events over a year ago. Microsoft was gracious and gave everyone who attended a free copy of Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2005. I have installed the Visual Studio and use it all of the time. I also installed the SQL server 2005 but I can not find the application on my computer. After the install the only items that appear to have been installed are the following: SQL Server Configuration tools(SQL Server Configuration manager,SQL Server  Error and usage reporting, SQL Server surface area confiuration, Reporting Services configu...

SQL query that works in SQL Server Management Studio, but doesn't on .NET 2.0 page
SELECT favorites.FID, favorites.filename, favorites.username, files.status, files.private, files.views, files.title FROM favorites INNER JOIN files ON favorites.filename = files.filename WHERE (favorites.username = @username) AND (files.status IS NULL) AND (files.private = @private)@private is manually set to 'no'@username is set to profile.usernamewhen I run the above query in microsoft sql server mgmt studio express on the database, it presents all the information i'm asking for very easily. however when i try to implement this query on a aspx .net2.0 page with teh sqldatasourc...

Can I connect to remote SQL 2005 server through SQL Server Management Studio Express?
Can I connect to remote SQL 2005 server through SQL Server Management Studio Express? I always get a error code 18456 when I try to connect to SQL 2005 server through SQL Server Management Studio Express. I'm sure I enter correct username and password!SuperCool Multiple ZIP - A utility to unzip multiple files and work with multiple zip filesSuperCool Random Number Generator The answer is yes its possible but it depends on the security configuration of the remote server.Hope it helps,Joe http://www.joeaudette.comhttp://www.mojoportal.com oh wait. I don't have the Express...

SQL Server 2005 Connection doesn't work on the Server
This is my Connectionstring:<connectionStrings>    <remove name="LocalSqlServer" />    <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Server=mydomain.com;Database=mydb;Trusted_Connection=True;" />    <add name="lymConnectionString" connectionString="Server=mydomain.com;Database=mydb;Trusted_Connection=True;" />  </connectionStrings> The SQL Server 2005 is on a remote machine, I added my local Account on that remote Machine to SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$Servername$MSSQLS...

SQL Server 2005 express connectivity with Visual Studio.NET 2005
Hello I'm having a problem with the server connection and my C# code. The code executes alright but no data is entered into the database behind it.  I'm pasting the connection code over here as well. The sql commands are used in the code. I think I used the sql server mobile edition which is installed along with visual studio.net 2005. Anyone know what's wrong, and can help me out? Thanks in advance.public static void storeInDb(string trackName, string artist, string albumTitle, string year, string path, uint[] fp) { string connStr="Data Source=.\\SQLEXPRESS;At...

SQL Server 2005 Connection doesn't work on the Server #2
I have the same problem as the other post with the same subject, but the solutions in that thread has not worked for me, and I have not figured out the solution. I am running SQL Server 2005 on my win64 box. REMOTELY: I can run my app and remotely connect successfully to the server's database from my winXP box. LOCALLY: With the same database name, password, and login, (server name changed to 127.0.0.1 instead of win64) I can use Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio to connect to the server on the win64 box. HOWEVER, if I try and run the app on the win64 box (with the same databa...

Web resources about - Can't connect to SQL Server 2005 in Visual Studio, only SQLExpress works? - asp.net.sql-datasource

Blog Archive
Blog Archive 2013 75 Essential Tools for iOS Developers Aug 15 2013 posted in iOS Speaking at Cocoa Conf PDX Jul 13 2013 posted in Speaking In ...

Upgrading TFS from SQLExpress
Some time back, I setup Team Foundation Server (TFS) on a server machine more or less dedicated to the cause. This was to test drive it to consider ...

its coding time
Archive - its coding time

Technet forums - SQL Server
This forum covers questions regarding .NET assemblies and database objects running as part of SQL Server including user-defined types, user-defined ...

Installation Quick Start - mojoPortal
A high level overview of mojoPortal installation steps with links to details about each step

Entity Framework June 2011 CTP - enums!
Rowan Beach Limited - Agile Enterprise Software Solutions

Metasploit => tips, tricks, hashes and tokens
Metasploit is one of the many tools that can be used during a penetration test, and it actually consists of a whole suite of tools, that forms ...

Integrating Silverlight and ASP.NET MVC
The web site and blog of Tim Heuer, Program Manager for Microsoft XAML and author of Callisto, a WinRT XAML Toolkit. A resource to learn how ...

Trustwave Resources - Whitepapers - Datasheets - Webinars - Trustwave
Browse through our latest Whitepapers, Data Sheets and Case Studies. Sign up for upcoming data security and PCI DSS webinars.

Visual web developer 2005 &SQL 2005 in Vista trouble-shooting - Web Development learning dairy
Under Windows Vista, if you use ASP.net Configuration tool of VWD and test AspNetSqlProvider connection, you will get a error message saying: ...