ado.net 2.0 and sql server 2000 connection error

I am trying to make a simple connection to my sql server, but am getting an error.  I am not sure why it says SQL Server 2005 in the error as we use 2000.  I have found others to have the problem on the web, but have found no answers.  One person said the sql connection worked when he downgraded to 1.1; however, I'd like to avoid that.  Here is my code:

<%

@Import Namespace="System.Data.SqlClient" %>

<

script runat="server">

Sub Page_Load()

Dim conNorthwind As SqlConnection

conNorthwind =

New SqlConnection("Server=1CDRSRV4; uid=username; pwd=password; database=Northwind")

conNorthwind.Open()

End Sub

</

script>

<

html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >

<

head runat="server">

<

title>Untitled Page</title>

</

head>

<

body>

Connection Opened!

</

body>

</

html>

here is my error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Source Error:

Line 6:
Line 7:          conNorthwind = New SqlConnection("Server=1CDRSRV4; uid=sa; pwd=sa; database=Northwind")
Line 8:          conNorthwind.Open()
Line 9:      End Sub
Line 10: </script>

Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\chap2\sqlconnection.aspx    Line: 8

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)]
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +734995
   System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +188
   System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(Boolean& useFailoverPartner, Boolean& failoverDemandDone, String host, String failoverPartner, String protocol, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean aliasLookup) +820
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +628
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +170
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection) +359
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) +28
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject) +424
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject) +66
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject) +496
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +82
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +111
   ASP.chap2_sqlconnection_aspx.Page_Load() in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\chap2\sqlconnection.aspx:8
   System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.ArglessFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o) +5
   System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +783999
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1061

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.210

0
dzirkelb

A little more information:

 I'm basically learning the language again and I have it set up on my local machine (localhost), but connecting to an existing sql 2000 server if that helps at all.

 Also, when I use visual studio to create the connection, the following code seems to work:

<

html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >

<

head runat="server">

<title>Untitled Page</title>

</

head>

<

body>

<form id="form1" runat="server">

&nbsp;<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="Data Source=CDRSRV4;Initial Catalog=Northwind;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=sa;Password=sa"

SelectCommand="SELECT * FROM [Alphabetical list of products]"></asp:SqlDataSource>

</form>

</

body>

</

html>
0
dzirkelb
11/14/2006 6:10:50 PM
It has to be something to do with using localhost because when I use our live web server, it appears to connect fine.
0
dzirkelb
11/14/2006 7:52:38 PM

Hi

I am afraid you are using vs2005 and its default database is sql server 2005 so the error message means if you are connecting sql server 2005 this failure may be caused by the fact that .....

Since your connection string works fine , make sure Named Pipes and TCP/IP network libraries are enabled for the SQL2000 instance.

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,
Young Fang
0
yyy8347

Frustrating Error connecting to SQL 2000 from IIS with .NET 2.0
I am getting the following error when connecting to SQL 2000 from IIS with .NET 2.0. It works perfectly with the Test Server that comes with VS 2005.   An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack t...

pb 10.0-sql server 2000-ado.net connect problem
Hi, I am using Powerbuilder 10.0 , XP SP2 , Microsoft SQL Server 2000 and the Net Framework is installed. I am having problem connecting to Microsoft SQLSERVER 2000 using ADO.NET My connection is // Profile sqlado SQLCA.DBMS = "TRACE ADO.Net" SQLCA.LogPass = "123" SQLCA.LogId = "sa" SQLCA.AutoCommit = True SQLCA.DBParm="Namespace='System.Data.OleDb',DATASOURCE='internetpc' ,Database='db1',Provider='SQLOLEDB',PROVIDERSTRING='database=db1' ,DelimitIdentifier='Yes',PBCatalogOwner='dbo',Default...

Help: SQL 2000 connection error(.NET 2.0, VS 2005)
Moderated by XIII, please use a normal font size for better readability: for some reason, my web application can not connect to my SQL 2000 my application is based on .net 2.0 (IIS 5.1) using vs 2005 workstation does not install any sql server sql 2000 locates at the remote server. the sql server can be connected via vs environment (data connnection), therefore, i think the connection string, server name and instance name is correct i have tried all the solution i can find online, but it is not working LocalSQLServer connection string has been removed in GobalSetting ...

PB 10.2.0 Connect SQL Server Using ADO.NET Provider
I have a problem with connection to SQL Server database using ADO.NET after upgrading to PB10.2.0 build 8011 runtime on the client machine. But it worked fine in version 10.0.1 build 6044 . Anyone can help me to figure ot that problem? TIA. John Ho. Can you try to provide details of the problem? <John Ho> wrote in message news:427aeaa1.7f95.1681692777@sybase.com... >I have a problem with connection to SQL Server database > using ADO.NET after upgrading to PB10.2.0 build 8011 runtime > on the client machine. But it worked fine in version 10.0.1 > build 604...

ADO.NET 2.0 - Three-tier application - connection string error
Using ASP.NET 2.0 beta, VS2005 beta 1, W2k3 server with IIS I try to build a three-tier app structure as followed: - the store procedure in SQL with a input parameter as Username and retrieve the UserId as output parameter. - the business logic (class) with connection string defined in web.config (“AppConnectionStringASPNETapp”) - the presentation aspx file after the user has logged in through login.aspx I have work out 2 scenarios with 2 different errors. Scenario 1: Here is the code is business logic (class) (catalog.cs) using System; using System.Data; usi...

Connecting to sql server 2000 on Godaddy error: (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
Facts:1. I am using my account on Godaddy trying to connect to my sql server db.2. I can get into my db using user id and password.3. Godaddy's help file shows this for a connection string: connectstr = "Driver={SQL Server};SERVER=" & db_server & ";DATABASE=" &db_name & ";UID=" & db_username & ";PWD=" & db_userpassword4. My connection string: "Server=whsql-v09.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net;uid=dbasolutions;pwd=***;database=DB_87972;"  & _                    "Trusted_Connecti...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all #2
I get the following error and have been trying to figure out why I keep getting it.  Initially, I had placed my project under wwwroot folder and ran it under IIS and it gave this error.  Then I moved it to my local C drive and same thing.  I am sharing this project with two other co-workers and all our config files and code files are same...they don't get this error but I do.  I checked that SQL Server Client Network Utility has TCP/IP and the 'Named Pipes' enabled.  I thought maybe I have setting in the Visual Studio 2005 that I'm not aware of that&#...

Security Error connecting to SQL Server using ADO.net
In our environment, we can successfully connect to SQL server using ADO.net interface, but when we delivered the software to clients, they are having connection errors. Connection parameters all look good. I am not sure what this error is about and unfortunately, the error does not tell much. Thanks in advance for helping me out Below are the details of the error Initial Connection Error Trans Error Code: -1 DBErrorCode:999 DBMS: ADO.Net DB Error Message: System.Security.SecurityException:Request failed. at Sybase.PowerBuilder.Db.Block.OleDbBlock.Connect(String cnnStr,...

A bug?: ado.net 2.0, sql 2000, vs 2005
I wonder if there is a bug in the VS 2005 with respect to using ADO.NET 2.0 and SQL Server 2000. I have already posted about this matter in the SQL 2005 forum, but I wonder if this is a fault to do with VS 2005 as VS 2003 doesn't do what I am noticing.1. Debugger: Before I step through ado.net code, it has already executed.2. Transactions: Committ() is still run, table permissions set or not. It doesn't run if I have a T-SQL statement that refers to a non existent table.Although an old post, on MS's bug reporting site there seems to be a similar issue: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStu...

How to resovle the Error 7399 in SQL Server 2000 while using ADO.NET?
Hello All. I have a problem. I want to transform Sheet data in Excel file to a table in SQL Server's database.And I found that there are two stored procedures in SQL Server,the one is "sp_addlinkedserver",the other is "sp_addlinkedsrvlogin". I use "sp_addlinkedserver" to add a new linked server which links a Excel file which name is "C:\Test.xls".And the linked server name is "Sheet1". "sp_addlinkedserver 'Sheet1', 'Jet 4.0','Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0','c:\Testl.xls',NULL,'Excel 8.0' then,I use SQL SA tool to access this lin...

.NET 2.0/SQL 2000 Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
 I have an app that I've written in .NET 2.0 using SQL 2000 as the back end. It works fine in development but when I move it out to our QA server I get the following error. An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) One of the odd things I notice is that the error message references SQL Server 2005 when that&#...

Error connecting to DB with Windows CE / SQL Anywhere / .Net 2.0
Hi, this is my first try to delvelop an application for windows ce 5 with c# (.net 2.0 + Visual Studio 2005). This Application has to connect to a Sql Anywhere 10 Database which runs on a Server in our LAN (WLAN is configured on the device and works fine) I used the sample-project "SimpleCE" which came with the SQL Anywhere-Installation to make my first steps ;) The application starts on the device but unfortunately I get an Error when the application tries to connect to the DataBase (the line in the code below, where the SAConnection is initialized. The connect...

Outer Joins Issue with DW.net 2.0 and SQL Server 2000
Is there a problem with using outer joins in DataWindow.net. I'm using DataWindow.net 2.0, MS SQL Server 2000. I'm getting an error that the table does not exist. If I turn off the outer join, the table exists. I can paint the query using the graphical view, with no problem. But when I return to retrieve the data, it says that the table that is on the right of the join does not exist. Make it a straight join, and it works. I've seen similar problems with Outer Joins on PB 10 and SQL Server 2000. A Datawindow (not .NET) worked fine in PB 7, but not in PB 10. Take away th...

SQL query that works in SQL Server Management Studio, but doesn't on .NET 2.0 page
SELECT favorites.FID, favorites.filename, favorites.username, files.status, files.private, files.views, files.title FROM favorites INNER JOIN files ON favorites.filename = files.filename WHERE (favorites.username = @username) AND (files.status IS NULL) AND (files.private = @private)@private is manually set to 'no'@username is set to profile.usernamewhen I run the above query in microsoft sql server mgmt studio express on the database, it presents all the information i'm asking for very easily. however when i try to implement this query on a aspx .net2.0 page with teh sqldatasourc...

Error : An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does
Hi All, i am using tha conncetion string in web.config. <add name="MyLocalSqlConnection" connectionString="Data Source=.\SqlExpress;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\SqlServer\OC00003SQL.mdf;User Instance=false" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>  Instance=false and true both i have used  but i am getting error like that. on my web hosting site  Error : An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Serv...

SQL Server 2005 error when trying to connect to sql server 2000 database
Hi all.I am working on asp.net 2.0 with back end as sqlserver 2000. but when trying to connect to the database i am getting the following error displayed An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the...

Odd crash problem involving SQL Server 2000/Dot Net 2.0 web app
I have a VB/Dot Net 2.0 web app I'm building.  Fairly conventional in most respects except that I'm constantly dealing with legacy data and rather casual table designs that I have no control over.  Generally I create a single XSD for the application and use that for all data access. In this case I've created a data table in the xsd that is the result of a union.  One half of the union is a select on a view and the other is a direct read of a table. I've made sure that both sets of data have identical aliases.  Out in the program there is a point...

AppName in the Connectivity Parm
Hi: I would like to know if there's a connection parameter to set the workstation name and te application name using ADO.NET or OLEDB to SQL SERVER 2005. I'm currently using PB 10.2.1. Build 9858. TIA. C�sar Ratto D. Yes, This is my DBParm: SQLCA.DBParm = "PROVIDER='" + ls_provider + "',DATASOURCE='" + server + "',PROVIDERSTRING='DataTypeCompatibility=80;database=" + bd + ";App=" + ls_applicationName + ";WSID=" + ls_workstation + "',TIMEOUT=160,OJSyntax='ANSI',PBTrimChar...

SQL Server Express Error: Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [2]
HiI'm a complete sql/asp.net newbie and want to try this tutorial:http://beta.asp.net/GuidedTour/First I installed:Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2systemsettings\software shows the "sql server 2005 express edition ctp (sqlexpress)" installedmmc\service shows me the SQL Server (SQLExpress) is runningFollowing the guided tour I use the commandline, type cmd, and type in the commandbox: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\SQLCMD90" -S "localhost\SqlExpress"Instead of localhost I also tried computername.smallbusiness.local (thats my fully dom...

ADO.NET connection to SQL Server
Hi Just installed eval version and cannot connect to SQL Server (get Invalid authorization specification) I'm connecting via trusted connection to local db (Northwind database). Noticed a help comment that I should include Database=Northwind in extended properties. I connected okay to the sample Adaptive demo. Appreciate any advice Alex I think this may be a bug. I'm not able to do it either. Note that when you select the Trusted Connection checkbox, that the syntax view on the preview tab doesn't change. Nor does it change if you explicitly put "Truste...

Web resources about - ado.net 2.0 and sql server 2000 connection error - asp.net.sql-datasource

Ritchie Yorke recounts John Lennon, Yoko Ono connection - The Courier-Mail Search Search
IN THE old-school days of rock ’n’ roll journalism, savvy interviewers got to spend time with interviewees, get to know them, hang out backstage ...

'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2 spoilers: ‘Flight 462’ connection teased in new promo
... his group will travel in a yacht in “Fear the Walking Dead” Season 2. A new “Fear the Walking Dead” Season 2 trailer teases “Flight 462” connection. ...

The French connection
A FRENCH-SPEAKING Tasmania is not quite as out-landish a concept as it at first appears, considering we came extremely close to being a French ...

'Who made you Pope?': Donald Trump, Jeb Bush and the Caddyshack connection
The 1980s comedy tells us something about the relationship between Donald Trump and Jeb Bush.

Anchorage man arrested in connection with January armed robberies
Police say a 24-year-old Anchorage man has been arrested in connection with two armed robberies and one attempted robbery at the end of January. ...

Igniting Brand Growth Via Emotional Connections
Nobel Prize winning research in neuroscience and behavioral economics proves that all humans are irrational, emotional creatures. Both marketers ...