Accessing SQL datasource selected values in code behind when they're pulled from formview, listview, datagrid, etc..

Hello,

In my usage of asp.net 2.0 so far I've been having a consistent lack of technique at one particular concept:

In my code behind with vb, getting at the values pulled by my sql datasource that are used in my formviews, listviews, etc...

What are some of the general techniques to accomplish this?

What are the easiest ways?

If I try to assign output parameters in my query I get errors because sql doesn't want them being used for the data consuming controls as well as assigning parameters.

Lately I've been making the textboxes that are populated by the formviews that they are nested in invisible and accessing their text values with findcontrol.  But this seems so inelegant.

I could also just totally write a sql data source control completely in my vb code but its so much easier to just drop one on the page and configure its parameters and query with the wizard.

Can you guys help me get a better grasp on this topic?

Thanks!

0
JLeo1977

how to add a query to sql datasource using a value from code behind?
 I have a value in my web form which is received from previous page and i have a sqldatasource in which i have written the query through the wizard.In this query i want to use where clause which tallies the cavlue from code behind :the code in code behind is:value1 = Request("abc")SqlDataSource1.SelectParameters("fid").DefaultValue = value1and in source:  <asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:CoursePortalConnectionString %>"       &nb...

SQL Datasource with code behind:
Hi all, I am trying to use a query into the code behind like that: "SELECT SELECT * FROM [ListePage] order by @id desc" the problem is that the errors says that its a non declared for the @id ------------------------------------------------- System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Must declare the variable '@id'. ------------------------------------------------- If I try to do this: SqlDataSource1.SelectParameters.Add(new Parameter("@id", TypeCode.String)); SqlDataSource1.SelectCommand = "SELECT * FROM [ListePage] order by @id desc"; In this ...

How to set DDL's selected value by datasource other than DDL's datasource
I have three TemplateFields in a Gridview. In each, the ItemTemplate has a label whose text value is bound to the GridView's DataSource. But in the EditItemTemplate the DropDownList is populated with a separate DataSource. This is a fairly common setup, so that wasn't too much to deal with. What I need to do is, when the GridView goes in to Edit mode and the DropDownList is populated and displayed I want the value that was in the bound label to be the default selected value in the DropDownList. As it currently is, the DropDownList renders with "Select..." as the defau...

'Too many characters' error in sql string
Hello i constructed the following query in SQL management studio and it runs fine, exactly how i want it to. However when i run it in my code behind i get the error: 'Too many characters in character literal' I desperatly need to use this query exactly how it displays in the mangement tool - why wont it work the same in my code behind? (I am using c# in my code behind and binding the results of the query to a gridview) Regards "SELECT DISTINCT (dbo.AuthorList(publicationID))+ ';' + ISNULL(' Editor: '+Publication.editor, '')+ '' + ISNULL...

sql datasource UpdateParameters code behind
 Hi all,i have detailsview bind to sqldatasource (directily) with select and updatecommand. Now i have 3 buttons on my page - resolved, pending, cancelresolved - set status = "success" and comment = "somthing"pending - set status = "inprogress" and comment = "somthing"cancel - shoud close the asppagehow can i set in code behind this updateparameters.DetailsView is bind directly to sqldatasource - in witch event shoud i paste the statement i dont`t know if this is right 'SqlDataSource1.UpdateParameters.Clear()...    &nb...

SQL Datasource and 'Apostrophes'
I am using a SQLDatasource to populate a dataview as illustrated below.  I run into a problem when I search for a "LastName" that includes an (') Apostrophe ( e.g. O'Reilly) . Searchin for the whole name there is no problem, but when I search for simply O, or O' I get errors.  I am not sure ...when to address names with an apostrophe... 1) On insertion to the database (using a  "Replace(LastName, "'", "''") 2)  or after they have been entered and they are to be searched for. If scenario 1, ...

FormView OnDataBound
Hi,   Can someone help me out here.  Maybe this is a dumb question but why does FormView OnDataBound not have RowEventArgs the same as RowDataBound on a GridView?  Without RowEventArgs how can I access the values of the fields in the selected record when the FormView OnDataBound is fired?  When the GridView RowDataBound fires before each row is rendered I can use DataBinder.Eval(e.Row.DataItem, "MyFieldNameHere").ToString() and then happily work with the data, but Im finding the FormView a bit limiting as I cant get at the field values easily OnDataBoun...

Accessing a User Control's Properties through Object/SQL DataSource Parameters
I have a simple user control that displays the results of a DB table in a GridView. On the form of the User Control I have GridView1, in the background .cs I have a public Property UserID At the moment it works using direct databind in the background .cs file, but If I was add some kind of DataSource Control (Object or SQL) and Bind that to the Gridview, is there a way to connect the Public Property using some kind parameter tags?  I could just copy the UserID to a Label (During FormLoad) and then using the ControlParameter tags and reference the label. On the L...

Passing sql values from code in-front to code-behind
Looking for syntax help. I have a method that get's called by a dropdownlist in the EditItemTemplate of a DataGrid: protected DataTable NearbyEmployees(string store,string chain,string city,string state) { DataTable dt = DAL.Employee.AvailableEmployees(store,chain,city,state); return dt; } I need to set the DataSource of the DropDownList, for example if hardcoded, could be:DataSource='<%#(NearbyEmployees("0100","222","Minnetonka","MN"))%>'This works fine, now,I need to pass parameters using DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "values") so tried something like:DataSource='&...

Trying to access SQL data with session value (I'm a total newb to VB and .Net 2.0)
I'm not an expert programmer in any way shape or form but I'm working on my next project and need some assistance. We have an existing site that is up and been running for a couple years and needs an uplift to asp .net 2.0. All our data is in a SQL 2005 db and is accessed by 3 groups, administrators, techs and clients. Admin see all data and all functions, Techs only see their calls and clients only see their data but some clients have 20 users. Our SQL db uses a field named accounID to tied multiple accounts together. On our old site once a user logged on a session was cre...

All SELECT INTO's (inline SQL) causing SQL errors with PB11.5 (SQLOLEDB) on Vista/SQL 2000
Hello all- I recently migrated a PowerBuilder app to 11.5 on a box running Vista and SQL Server 2000. I believe the DB Profile is correctly set up since I can use the Database painter and query the tables with no issue. However, if I open any script that contains any inline SQL (SELECT/INTO's), the scripts won't compile and the SQL error 42000 is thrown. Strangely, the app runs fine and the inline SQL seems to execute successfully at run-time, but in the script views, something appears to be wrong. Here is my db profile I have setup for development: // Profile <...

AdventureWorks DB
I'm trying to load the 'contacts' table from SQL2005 AdventureWorks database with a SQL Datasource control and when i try to use the "Configure Data Source" wizard i select the table and i get the following error: "Invalid object name: 'Contact'."I think i know the reason for the error but i don't know how to fix it.  What i think is happening is SQL 2005 makes use of 'schemas' to organize tables (similar to namespaces) so the object 'Contact' is actually 'Person.Contact'.  However the "Configure Data Sou...

How do I check to see if a value returned from a sql datasource equals a listitem value
I'm trying to see if this listitem equals a value returned in my sql data source, but I get keep getting a error saying  'Item' is not a member of 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSource'.    How do I check if the employeeID returned is equal to the li.value? For Each li As ListItem In BillingEmployeeID.Items If li.Value = getEmployeewithMostOpenClient.Item("employeeID") ThenxxxxxxxEnd If NextNever make important decisions on a Monday! Try Items.FindByValue() or Items.FindByText() method. Something like this... string szValueFromDataso...

Web resources about - Accessing SQL datasource selected values in code behind when they're pulled from formview, listview, datagrid, etc.. - asp.net.sql-datasource