Windows Server 2008 / SQL Express 2005 / Visual Studio 2008 / Authentication / ASP.NET 2.0.50727

Hello,

Two weeks ago I installed Windows Server 2008 standard on my home computer, Installed all updates service packs, etc.  I then installed Visual Studio 2008 and installed all updates and service packs, etc. and began to write a website.  I'm using C# with forms authentication.  I am using standard login, loginview controls provided with Visual Studio 2008.

When I run run the application from http://localhost I am able to log in successfully.

When I run my application from http://boebot.karleldridge.com I am not able to log in successfully, however, I am able to see the default page and login control.

 Every post have I have read, suggests writing the connectionstring in the web.config file in this manner:

<appSettings/>

<
connectionStrings>

<remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=localhost;Initial Catalog=aspnetdb;Integrated Security=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

</connectionStrings>

When I place the above connectionString in my application, I receive the imfamous message:

There is a problem with your selected data store. This can be caused by an invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission. It can also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled. Click the button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data store.

The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server

When I take the connectionString out of my web.config file, all is well when I attempt to log via the http://localhost

I re-evaluated and re-wrote the "machine connectionString" in the IIS 7.0 manager and that proved to be hours of fruitless labor.

I've visited http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/default.aspx to re-trace my steps in which I successfully used Mr. Gutherie's tutorial on using aspnet_regiis and aspnet_regsql...  TO NO AVAIL with Windows Server 2008 ...

Is there any information that anyone can provide in a consistent, user friendly manner that will fix this problem I am having in which I am unable to authenticate users from the internet...

For those who are wondering, it is a Master's Degree Program 6000 class project.  The idea is not to help me with school, rather help me configure the server and authentication correctly so I can concentrate on the actual application and electronics to make a truly distributed web application to control a robot via the internet.

Thanks very much,

Karl Eldridge

0
KEldridge

Hi,Karl

KEldridge:
When I run my application from http://boebot.karleldridge.com I am not able to log in successfully

How do you set your forms auth. do you set "domain" attribute?  please post your authentication elements part in web.config here.

KEldridge:
 Every post have I have read, suggests writing the connectionstring in the web.config file in this manner

Since you are using login control provide by ASP.NET, At the first time you run the page. ASP.NET will create everything for you include Membership provider database. Configuration and connectionString. you can find it in

 C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\machine.config

KEldridge:
Gutherie's tutorial on using aspnet_regiis and aspnet_regsql...  TO NO AVAIL with Windows Server 2008 ...

It works fine in my Windows Server 2008,  check that you execute aspnet_regsql command in "Visual Studio 2008 command Prompt".

Regards

Andrew Zhu
Microsoft online ASP.NET support
Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
0
Andrew
4/16/2009 11:22:33 AM

Hello Andrew -

Well, it seems that I did not provide enough information in my first post and my comment regarding "TO NO AVAIL" seems to have been misinterpreted, perhaps due to my panicked ramblings after not sleeping for days Huh?

So let me describe the situation again:  When connecting to the local host (an internal network, IP Address 127.0.0.1, not seen by the internet (users outside my local area connection), Mr. Gutherie's tutorial using the aspnet_regiis and aspnet_reqsl works fine and I have no issues....In fact, the connection string is not even added to the web.config file .  The connection string is located in the IIS configuration manager and can be viewed by selecting start>settings>control panel>administrative tools - and by clicking the IIS configuration manager I can see the connection string data source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Integrated Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf;User Instance=true; AND AGAIN IT WORKS FINE FOR A LOCAL AREA CONNECTION.  The connection string is present in the Server Home and when I drill down to the Default Web Page and any virual directory that I might have.

However, when I attempt to login outside my local area connection, from a remote location, this is where I have multiple issues. I have a static IP address, my DSL connection allows connections on port 80 when my modem is set in bridge mode to allow connections to my server and is pointing to my home server through my web hosting package, I am able to connect to my website's Default Page and any other page that I might create, including static htm, html, asp, pages. But I still cannot successfuly connect to the SQL Express database - which is successfully created and present with 3 users.  If I configure <remove name> <add localsqlserver> in the web.config string to point to the ASP.NET I get the failure described in my orginal post stating the the aspnet configuration wizard has a problem finding the data store.

So, at present, when I avoid using the SQLExpress Database entirely and place the following connection string in my web.config file:

<connectionStrings>
    <remove name="LocalSqlServer" />
    <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=205.178.152.123;Initial Catalog=karleldridge;User Id=keldridge;Password=*****"
      providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
    <add name="karleldridgeConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=205.178.152.123;Initial Catalog=karleldridge;User ID=keldridge;Password=****"
      providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
  </connectionStrings

Both the ASP.NET Configuration Manager successfully connects to the database and I was able to successfully log in from multiple remote locations.

So, at this point, you are probably wondering:  1.  WHY WHINE IF IT WORKS in the manner describe above?  2.  WHY GO INSANE MAKING YOUR OWN WEB SERVER AT HOME WHEN YOU HAVE A WINDOWS ADVANCED HOSTING PACKAGE WITH MSSQL DATABASE?

 Answer to Question 1: Because, I'd like to understand the Idiosyncrasies of managing my own mssql database on my local server and to find out if SQL 2005 or 2008  Express is capable of working in the manner this entire post is describing and in an acedemic sense, I am not even sure what to call this whole schema where I have a locally hosted ASP.NET application and a remote database....a mult-tiered web monster?

Answer to question 2:  I need a local server to access the serial port so I can send packet information to my robotics project. And although the windows advanced hosting package is available, they do not have the 3.5 framework loaded on their servers to provided access to LINQ to SQL class.

Finally, here is the answer to your question regarding the authentication in the web.config file.  Although I have found a work-around solution, I'd like to revert back to my original plan of using my local SQL Server database and further assistance would be helpful.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<configuration>

<configSections>

<sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions" type="System.Web.Configuration.SystemWebExtensionsSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">

<sectionGroup name="scripting" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">

<section name="scriptResourceHandler" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>

<sectionGroup name="webServices" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingWebServicesSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">

<section name="jsonSerialization" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingJsonSerializationSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="Everywhere"/>

<section name="profileService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingProfileServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>

<section name="authenticationService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingAuthenticationServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>

<section name="roleService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingRoleServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>

</sectionGroup>

</sectionGroup>

</sectionGroup>

</configSections>

<appSettings/>

<connectionStrings> <remove name="LocalSqlServer" />

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=205.178.152.123;Initial Catalog=karleldridge;User Id=keldridge;Password=********"

providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

<add name="karleldridgeConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=205.178.152.123;Initial Catalog=karleldridge;User ID=keldridge;Password=*****"

providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

</connectionStrings>

<system.web><!--

Set compilation debug="true" to insert debugging

symbols into the compiled page. Because this

affects performance, set this value to true only

during development.

--><identity impersonate="true" />

<roleManager enabled="true" />

<authentication mode="Forms" />

<compilation debug="true">

<assemblies>

<add assembly="System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

<add assembly="System.Data.DataSetExtensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

<add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

<add assembly="System.Xml.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

</assemblies>

</compilation>

<!--

The <authentication> section enables configuration

of the security authentication mode used by

ASP.NET to identify an incoming user.

-->

<!--

The <customErrors> section enables configuration

of what to do if/when an unhandled error occurs

during the execution of a request. Specifically,

it enables developers to configure html error pages

to be displayed in place of a error stack trace.

-->

<customErrors mode="Off" defaultRedirect="GenericErrorPage.htm">

<error statusCode="403" redirect="NoAccess.htm" />

<error statusCode="404" redirect="FileNotFound.htm" />

</customErrors>

<
pages>

<controls>

<add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

<add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

</controls>

</pages>

<httpHandlers>

<remove verb="*" path="*.asmx"/>

<add verb="*" path="*.asmx" validate="false" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

<add verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" validate="false" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

<add verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" validate="false"/>

</httpHandlers>

<httpModules>

<add name="ScriptModule" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

</httpModules>

</system.web>

<system.codedom>

<compilers>

<compiler language="c#;cs;csharp" extension=".cs" warningLevel="4" type="Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeProvider, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089">

<providerOption name="CompilerVersion" value="v3.5"/>

<providerOption name="WarnAsError" value="false"/>

</compiler>

</compilers>

</system.codedom>

<!--

The system.webServer section is required for running ASP.NET AJAX under Internet

Information Services 7.0. It is not necessary for previous version of IIS.

-->

<system.webServer>

<validation validateIntegratedModeConfiguration="false"/>

<modules>

<remove name="ScriptModule"/>

<add name="ScriptModule" preCondition="managedHandler" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

</modules>

<handlers>

<remove name="WebServiceHandlerFactory-Integrated"/>

<remove name="ScriptHandlerFactory"/>

<remove name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices"/>

<remove name="ScriptResource"/>

<add name="ScriptHandlerFactory" verb="*" path="*.asmx" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

<add name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

<add name="ScriptResource" preCondition="integratedMode" verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

</handlers>

</system.webServer>

<runtime>

<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">

<dependentAssembly>

<assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"/>

<bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0"/>

</dependentAssembly>

<dependentAssembly>

<assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions.Design" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"/>

<bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0"/>

</dependentAssembly>

</assemblyBinding>

</runtime>

</configuration>

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.

Sincerely,

Karl Eldridge

0
KEldridge

Visual Studio 2008 SP1
I have the developer version of SQL 2005 & SQL Server Express 2008 installed on my laptop and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 installed.    I'm learning ASP.Net MVC and want to work with a SQL Server Express 2008, but I can't connect to SQL Server Express 2008.  I first tried to ADD a SQL Server Database by adding a SQL Server Database to app_data and received the error "Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.  Then I attempted to ADD the Membership.MDF ...

Visual Studio 2008 includes SQL Server 2008 Express and Visual Basic 2008?
Please can somebody tell me whether Visual Studio 2008 includes SQL Server 2008 Express or 2005? Also does it include Visual Basic 2008 or 2005? Thank you.VWGolfman  VS2008 installs Sql Server 2005 Express by default. Also, VS2008 installs the new version of VB.Net BUT you can target older runtimes (i.e .Net 1.1, .Net 2, .Net 3) so you can argue that all VB.Net versions are "installed". Thank you Steven VWGolfman...

Windows Server 2008, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Launched!
Largest enterprise launch in company history includes Windows Server 2008, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2008; focuses on security, Web, virtualization and better business intelligence. LOS ANGELES - Feb. 27, 2008 - Kicking off more than 225 events around the world and joined by more than 4,000 customers and partners, Microsoft Corp.'s Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer today showcased the next generation of infrastructure and application platform products, including Windows Server 2008, Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008....

SQL Server 2005 express connectivity with Visual Studio.NET 2005
Hello I'm having a problem with the server connection and my C# code. The code executes alright but no data is entered into the database behind it.  I'm pasting the connection code over here as well. The sql commands are used in the code. I think I used the sql server mobile edition which is installed along with visual studio.net 2005. Anyone know what's wrong, and can help me out? Thanks in advance.public static void storeInDb(string trackName, string artist, string albumTitle, string year, string path, uint[] fp) { string connStr="Data Source=.\\SQLEXPRESS;At...

Visual Basic .NET 2005 Express & Sql Server 2005 Express remote server
Hi,  I want to make a component library in Visual Basic.NET and connect to a remote Sql Server. When I create a new DataSet with the wizard, I can only connect to a .mdf file, but not to a Sql Server. With Visual Web Developer I can connect to a Sql server. What is the difference between these enviroments ? How can I do the same with Visual Basic.NET ?  Thanks in advance. Visual Basic .NET Express cannot connect to SQL Servers. The Visual Web Developer is the only express edition that can utilize SQL Server. You need to upgrade to Visual Studio 2005 Standard or higher.Cheers,&n...

Installing .NET Framework, Sql Server 2005 Express, and Visual Studio 2005 Professional
Will someone please offer some advice, a walkthrough, or something to help me through this?  I installed all three of these pieces (.NET, SQL Server 2005 Express, and VS 2005 Professional) onto a WinXP box.  I was unable to get it to work.  It kept throwing SQL errors when I tried to run the security setup for the Personal Website Starter Kit.  So, I uninstalled everything except .NET and reinstalled.  At this point I was able to get to the setup, but unable to add users.  It doesn't throw errors or anything, it just doesn't do anything.  I really re...

What is the difference between Visual studio.net and Visual studio 2008 express?
 I am fairly new in ASP.net development, i have downloaded sql express and visual studio express on the microsoft site, but i was just wondering if there is a huge difference between the express packages and the actual profesional packages. Any ideas on that?www.buggrep.comBest error repository site on the web!! If you are new then dont worry about it it, visual web developer express and sql server express are both fine for developing with all the major features of asp.net / sql server.There are some advanced features that I dont even know what they are.I think that the older sql expr...

DNN 4.0 & .Net 2.0, SQL2005 (SQLExpress) with SQL Server Management Studio Express
Anyone have installation instructions for this configuration:WinXP, IIS 5.1, .Net 2.0 (release), SQL2005 (SQLExpress) release...without VisualStudio 2005? Using SQLSMSE for database creation?Every attempt I make appears to succeed, but viewing the databasein SQLSMSE shows no stored procs, etc. in the db. Sometimes thecore modules are installed / available, sometimes they're not.Is it related to the file attachment in web.config?Could this have something to do with the 'file manager is unavailable'and 'cannot open a closed file' errors people have been reporting?Kirk...

problem with Visual Studio 2008, Net Framework 2.0 and AJAX 1.0 doesn't work!
I wrote simple web application with update panel but when I loaded application, update panel didn't work..I think It's problem with AJAX 1.0... How to fix this problem???ASP.NET 3.5VISUAL STUDIO 2008 PROMS SQL SERVER 2005 You really need to be more specific about what you're trying to do, what's happening, post your source code, something...When you ask a question, remember to click "mark as answered" when you get a reply which answers your question.My latest ASP.NET AJAX blog entries. I have side by side installed visual studio 2005 and 2008.In visual studio ...

Why Visual Studio 2005 ask me to convert a solution already got converted Somebody did the conversion of a solution from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0 by using the automatic conversion wizard of Visual Stu
Why Visual Studio 2005 ask me to convert a solution already got converted Somebody did the conversion of a solution from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0 by using the automatic conversion wizard of Visual Studio 2005. Then, he changed to another company. Now, I take over his job. Unfortunately, when I attempted to open that solution, Visual Studio 2005 prompted me the conversion wizard again to forced me to perform a conversion on the solution. Does someone know why?--Harish Patel www.MicrosoftSQLandASP.netpatelharish@gmail.com Hi, How many projects are in the solution, does it have UNLOADE...

Is Visual Studio.Net 2003 Compatible with SQL Server 2005 Express?
Hi, I am new to this. I have Visual Studio 2003 Developers Edition, but I do not have SQL server 2000, so I downloaded SQL Server 2005 Express(which is free). My question is, is Visual Studio.Net 2003 Compatible with SQL Server 2005 Express? That is, do I need 2.0 framework to work with SQL server 2005, or version 1.1 framework will work fine? Thank you As far as calling the db, it should be fine. You just dont have the integrated functionality (managed SPROCs, etc) that you would get with VS2005(but even then you need the big versions)....

If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly?
If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly? Thanks! Hi asdpai, I am not sure if I catch your meaning.But if you want to upgrade the SQL Server 2005 Express to SQL Server 2008 Express, you may refer to the following link: Version and Edition Upgradeshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspxHow to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2008 (Setup)http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144267.aspxJian KangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to mark the replies as answers if t...

Installing Team Foundation Server 2008 with SQL Server 2008 on Windows Server 2008
 Hi,Can Anyone tell me that Is SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition Compatible to work with Team Foundation Server 2008 on Windows Server 2008...I am trying to install TFS 2008.I have installed IIS,SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition,Install and Configure Windows Sharepoint 3.0 successfully... but During installation of TFS 2008 during System health Check its telling SQL Server version incompatible.PLz Reply its urgent... Somnath Try installing TFS 2008 packaged with SP1. Here is more info:http://blogs.msdn.com/aabdou/archive/2008/05/13/team-foundation-server-sp1-beta-now-available.a...

Web resources about - Windows Server 2008 / SQL Express 2005 / Visual Studio 2008 / Authentication / ASP.NET 2.0.50727 - asp.net.security

Authentication - Facebook-Entwickler
Please note: On October 3, 2012, the offline_access permission will be removed. If you are building...

Facebook Adds Two Factor Authentication for Login and Redesigns Family Safety Center
... announced the release of several new tools to help users stay safe while using the site. Soon, users will be able to enable two factor authentication ...

YouTube - How To Hack Twitter's New Two Factor Authentication
Veröffentlicht am 23.05.2013 Connect! http://toopher.com http://facebook.com/toopherinc http://twitter.com/toopher CEO Josh Alexander wants ...

Two-factor authentication - cyber security -
Two recent hacking cases highlight how personal emails can impact overall business security through tiny weaknesses.

Two-factor authentication: double or nothing
An extra layer of security keeps hackers at bay.