Using SQL Server 2000 instead of SQL Express

Hi,
    I'm a newbie at trying out ASP.NET 2.0, what i wanted to know is for the Login and other controls which depend on SQL Express / 2005 as the database, can i reroute the connection string to point to SQL Server 2000 and for the controls and use a SQL 2000 database instead of SQL Express / 2005, if so is there any documentation available where i could learn more.

eyeofvishnu

Go into:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50215

type "aspnet_regsql" and it'll walk you through a wizard to setup a SQL2000 database for usage
"If you make it idiot proof, they'll build a better idiot"
0
MorningZ
8/17/2005 1:44:25 PM

Good MorningZ Wink [;)]
                                 Thanks a lot for the response, i will try it and let you know if i land into unknown territory.

0
eyeofvishnu

http://www.csharpcorner.com/UploadFile/anubhavbansal/MembershipService08082005004450AM/MembershipService.aspx?ArticleID=91aeda18-27f2-4e37-8700-266b2f6a098f&PagePath=/UploadFile/anubhavbansal/MembershipService08082005004450AM/MembershipService.aspx

This article will detail how to use the SQL Server 2000 instead of SQL Express. All you have to do is to create a provider a web.config file and use is thereafter.

regards,
anubhav

0
whidbey_boy
8/18/2005 5:58:16 AM
Very good post Anubhav. Hopefully that won't be quite so manual in the final release, but it's one of those things that we should KNOW how to do manually as well.

I'm trying to get this to work with VS2005 on my dev machine and SQL2k on my inhouse W2k3 webserver.

What I don't understand is if I need to alter the machine.config on both machines, or just the webserver. I can get the tables to populate in the SQL2k database of my choice, but hit a wall when I attempt to go into the asp.net it errors out.

I know I'll eventually figure it out, but if anyone has some pointers on what I might be doing wrong, I'm open to suggestions.

EDIT: Got it working. my server didn't care for the slidingExperation statement in the forms section. removed it and got to asp.net website admin tool with no problems.
Garth H
San Jose, CA
Microsoft Certified Professional
Macromedia Certified Developer
http://www.511th.com/
0
Webdev511

using ms sql 2000 instead of sql express
i am a newbie with visual web dev. express..  i have downloaded the club web site starter kit but without the sql express thinking that i could use my existing sql 2000 databse.. i have got all the table created, thanks to the script given, but i could not get the web site running.. the databse is running fine..  in visual developer under the solution explorer, it has a App_data folder, it has 2 files. 1 . is the club-add.sql(script) and the 2nd is the club.mdf, which i think is the database file for sql express 2005 use.. on database explorer > Data connection>i can see...

CHANGE THE PROVIDERS TO USE SQL SERVER INSTEAD OF SQL EXPRESS
In step one of this Blog ,what's  this mean Step 1: Create or obtain a blank SQL database instance  and how do i go about doing it http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/08/25/423703.aspx That means to get a SQL database which does not have the schema (tables, stored procedures, functions, etc.) for membership, so that you can use aspnet_regsql.exe to create the required schema.Welcome to my SQL/ASPNET forum for Chinese http://51up.org/bbs/forumdisplay.php?fid=38 I'm a newbie so can you explain what u mean by getting a schema Can u explain for exa...

SQL Server Express & SQL Server 2000
I'm currently developing my website using SQL Server Express which comes by default with the Visual Web Developer. My hosting is using SQL Server 2000. Is the database I created using sql server express compatible with sql server 2000? Other databases hy hosting supported includes MySQL, Access, SQL Server 2000. Among these three, which one I best use on my site? My site doesnt involved much database activity. Thank you  Shuf wrote: Is the database I created using sql server express compatible with sql server 2000?Not so that you could just take SQL2005 database file and ...

sql server 2000 , sql server 2005 express
Hi, currently I m using vs studio 2005 to develop a in house web application... The problem is tat my company has only sql server 2000 license... n when creating the application cos vs studio comes together w sql server 2005 express, so i used it to develop the application. However, i tink there are compatibiliy issues with both databases. I used sql 2005 express mainly because in vs studio 2005 there are the LOGIN tools in which i cant create and they come mapped to databases created using sql 2005 express... so is there any compatibility issues when i deploy this application? and if so, is...

Migration from SQL Server Express to SQL Server 2000?
Note from moderator XIII: originally posted in Club starter kit but was found to be more appropriate in this forum: Hello,What are the steps I have to follow to migrate the SQL Express Edition to the SQL 2000 Edition for my Club Starter Kit?Any URL or hint or trick or tips?Thanks,MudassirMudassir AzeemiSan Francisco, CAWeb: http://www.BonGeek.comBlog: http://blog.BonGeek.com...

SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
Hi,Can SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition installed in a same machine. Will there be any conflict?Regards,Swami Sure they can exists on the same machine. Generally speaking there won't be conflict. The only conflict I have encountered came with SQL2000 named instance: after install SQL2005, the anonymous service on UPD 1434 port (used by SQL2000 to find out named instance) may fail to start, if the "SQL Server Brower" service is not started; so connection may fail to find out SQL2000 named instance. In this case you can just start the "SQL Server Brower" ser...

SQL Server 2008 Express with SQL Server 2000 Enterprise
Good Day,Please  englighten my mind, i have a plan,in my development PC, i have Windows XP and this Visual Studio 2008 and with SQL Server 2008 Express, in my  Deployment Server i have Windows Server 2003 with this SQL Server 2000 Enterprise. so my question is, what are the PROs and CONs in this kind of setup??? between SQL Servers????also please suggest anythings that will help me in this setup.  please help me, thanks JFRBPH12™ Is there any way you can upgrade your SQL Server version on the Deployment Server? Otherwise you would have to set compatibility mode to 80 in...

SQL Server 2005 Express vs SQL Server 2000
We just upgraded to Zenworks Patchlink 6.3. We already have SQL Server 2000, but I noticed in Patchlink's Recommended PLUS Configuration article they recommend SQL Server 2005 Express. Isn't that the newest version of MSDE and isn't it free? Is it truly better for us to go to SQL Server 2005 Express than to use SQL Server 2000? An interesting question: I wonder if any figures are available - I know that 2005 Express is /enough/ to run ZPM 6.3... -- Shaun Pond ...

SQL Server 2000 DB in SQL Server 2005 Express
I have an SQL Server 2000 DB that I created on one PC that I would like to move to a PC running SQL Server 2005 Express, is this possible? Will the SQL Server 2000 DB run under SQLS Server 2005 EXPRESS? Thank you for any thoughts, Yes, there are serveral ways to move the database: backup/restore, detach/attach, Copy Database Wizard, etc. For more information, you can refer to:Copy Database Wizard: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190775.aspxBackup/Restore: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190436.aspxDetach/Attach: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190794.a...

SQL server express code on MSDE/SQL server 2000
hi - I am developing locally using .Net 2.0/Access but just recently started trying out SQL Server Express. I have deployed my application to a host who provides 2.0 but as would be expected only MSDE/SQL server 2000. Now if I'd switch completely to SSE, would my SQL queries (which are pretty simple) work on MSDE or SQL server 2000? The only thing I see as more sophisticated sql queries would be the built-in 2.0 Roles/Membership functions... Do you think they would run smoothly on MSDE/SQL 2000?Finally... since the database is already done locally, is there any way (a stored procedure for ex...

Web resources about - Using SQL Server 2000 instead of SQL Express - asp.net.security

Bernie Sanders Backed For President By ‘The Nation’ Magazine: ‘He Is Calling Americans To A Political ...
Bernie Sanders appears to be expanding his support base with each passing day. Barely days after the Vermont senator scored a major endorsement ...

Microsoft gets aggressive after 18 months nextgen CPUs like Skylake will only support Windows 10
Microsoft's aggressive pushing of Windows 10 is becoming legendary, with everything from irritating nag screens, to automatic downloading of ...

Burkina Faso hotel attack ends with 126 hostages freed and at least 23 dead
At least 23 were reported dead and 126 hostages were freed as Burkina Faso and French forces took back control of an upscale hotel in the capital ...

Wal-Mart to close 154 stores in the US
Wal-Mart is closing 154 stores in the U.S. and another big chunk in its challenging Brazilian market.

President Obama Raps ‘Forgot About Dre’ — Find Out Why And Watch The Video
President Barack Obama and Eminem may not showing up together at any events in the near future, but the two well-known figures do share bragging ...

Tennessee Powerball winners: No big changes to lives
seattlepi.com Tennessee Powerball winners: No big changes to lives seattlepi.com Rebecca Hargrove, second from right, president and CEO of ...

'Prison Break' Revival Ordered Straight to Series
It’s really official – Prison Break is coming back. While Fox ordered a pilot episode back in the summer, the network just announced that the ...

El Chapo Reportedly Had Time for Erectile Disfunction Surgery While on the Run
After escaping from prison last summer, Mexico’s most powerful drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman surely found himself with a busy schedule ...

Leonardo DiCaprio On Possible Oscar Win: ‘That’s Not Why You Do The Work’
Actor Leonardo DiCaprio could finally become a first-time Oscar winner next month! However, according to Us Weekly , the longtime actor explained ...

The IBM engineer that controlled a 'Star Wars' toy with his mind thinks brain readers could be the next ...
Earlier this week Business Insider reported that an IBM programmer managed to successfully take control of a BB-8 droid from "Star Wars" with ...